Parassala PonnammAl

Carnatic Musicians
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ragam-talam wrote: Another musician from Kerala who is a great vidwan, yet not getting any recognition from the powers-that-be in Chennai is Shri NP Ramaswamy, a fine composer and top-class musician.
http://www.thehinduimages.com/hindu/pho ... Id=2181473

When will he be 'discovered', if ever?
We have discussed about this personality previously on this board. He is the great-grandson of pAlghAT paramEShvara bhAgavatar. I think he resides in nUrani.

makham

Post by makham »

bhamah wrote:I am glad to share the happy news that My Teacher Parassala B.Ponnammal is selected for this year"s Swathi Puraskar.It was announced by Cultural Minister Baby today
Bhamah
Just for information, the previous winners of Swathi Puraskar include

Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer
Ustad Bismilla Khan
D.K. Pattammal
K.V. Narayanswami
T.N. Krishnan
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
Kalamandalam Sankaran Embranthiri
Mavelikara R. Prabhakara Varma
Umayalpuram Sivaraman
Neyyatinkara Vasudevan
RK Srikantan

May be I am missing one from the list because I recollect this was instituted in 1997

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

makham wrote:May be I am missing one from the list because I recollect this was instituted in 1997
Ajoy Chakraborty or BMK

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Some details on Award ceremony and concert in thread

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... an-10.html

bhamah

Re: Parassala PonnammAl

Post by bhamah »

I am glad to inform this August body that Parassala B.Ponnammal has been selected for Sangeetnatak Puraskar(Award) for 2010. Bhamah

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very well deserved...

cienu

Post by cienu »

Congratulations to the veteran Vidushi :)

rajeeram

Post by rajeeram »

Congratulations to Smt.Ponnamal!! Sometimes an award raises an awardee's stature, at others the awardee raises the award's stature. This is a case of the latter.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Amazing todi alapana from last year's navarathri mandapam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7H8DngPNw

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

To the folks to whom I promised a two decade old Parasala Concert . I am sorry that I am unable to locate it or maybe it was a case of wrong labelling . If i do get it I will post it here . Sorry.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Absolutely soulful music.
Having multiple back ups across the world come in handy :)
Thanks to MT for this lovely stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e6gijm9dmzbiqsm

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

fduddy wrote:Absolutely soulful music.
Having multiple back ups across the world come in handy :)
Thanks to MT for this lovely stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e6gijm9dmzbiqsm
Absolutely lovely! What ease of delivery! Thanks to fduddy and MT.

The file ends abruptly. Is there more?

-Then Paanan

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article about Smt Ponnammal in today's "Indian Express"
http://expressbuzz.com/magazine/the-pin ... 37373.html

cienu

Post by cienu »

A short clip of Parasala Ponnammal meeting with the Royal Family of Travancore - (post her Navarathri Mandapam concert this year). There is also a short conversation between Smt Ponnammal and Maharaja Marthanda Varma. One can also see our own Hariharan (rasikas member)at 1.09 when the camera clearly focuses on him. :) The video is courtesy Prince Rama Varma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNzGHoS ... re=related

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Wishing Prof. Parassala B Ponnammal on her birth day...turned 90 years..

Smt. Prof. Parassala B Ponnammal was born to shrI Mahadeva Iyer and Smt. Bhagavati Ammal, she studied music and Sanskrit from a very young age under the guidance of shrI Ramaswamy Bhagavatar.

Her very first recognition came in the form of a talent contest judged by shrI Harikesanellur Muttaiah Bhagavatar, which the thirteen year old Ponnammal won.

She studied music under shrI Muttaiah Bhagavatar, sangItakalAnidhi shrI Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, shrI K R Kumaraswamy Iyer (former principal of Swati Tirunal College of Music and the chief disciple of Mecheri Sundara Shastrigal), sangItakalAnidhi shrI K S Narayanaswamy Iyer and other stalwarts.

From 1970, Smt. Ponnammal served as the Principal of RLV College of Music at Thripunithura for a decade.

Smt. Ponnammal has the rare honor of being the first woman to sing at the Navaratri Mandapam at Thiruvanathapuram during the Navaratri Music festival...
Listen to her concert at:
concert 030- prasalla Ponnamal..

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2013/11 ... isten.html

Smt.Parassala B.Ponnammal-Vocal
Ms.K.Bhama-Vocal Support
Smt.Padma Shankar-Violin
Nanjil Sri A.R.Arul-Mrudangam
Udupi Sri Balakrishnan-Ghatam

01-dEvadEva_kalayAmi-mAyAmALavagauLa
02-dEva_dEva_mAM_palaya-tODi-swAtitirunAL
03-pArvatinAyaka-bauLi-swAtitirunAL
04-kaLakaNThii_-nIlAmbari
05-pAhi_nihila_janani-nATa-iraiyamman_thampi
06-mangala_dEvadaE_pAhimAm-kalyANi-iraiyamman_thampi
07-varadE_saSidhara-tODi-iraiyamman_thampi
08_sada_unadu_tiruvadi_manOhari_prasalla Ponnamal-V.V.Sadagopan

The songs at Sl.no. 05 to 08 were added by me to the concert at 01 to 04..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Happy Birthday golden girl. I see few names of sishyas who are like her great grand children and she is still giving performances.She is our national treasure.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Golden girl, dressed in gold mostly, and that face radiating a glint of a smile...
May God bless her!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

It is sad and intriguing that there is no mention anywhere as to why she is not considered for SK award ..

Is it because that she is also does not belong to TN..

She joins JS Jesudas....

People like her great sons like Abisheik are being suggested by some for the award....Shame..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just googled and found in the wiki on Parassala Ponnnammal that
from parassala ponnammal wiki wrote: Ponnammal was also fortunate to learn carnatic music from several carnatic music legends. The famous carnatic music composers and singers Shri. Papanasam Sivan, Shri. Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar and Shri. Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer were some her teachers.[2]
I also googled to find that she has sung tanigai valar(sivan) , todi swarajathi and the gajavadana (kumara ettendra ) and there are recordings. I did not know that she has also learnt from HMB and Sivan , I only knew SSI connection as a guru till yesterday. That is lovely.

By any chance am I right if I say that ponnammal may have not sung this GNB Popularized krithi tamadam en swami in Todi. My gut says this kind of ultraswift brigas - just may be the golden girl would have opted out . Is there a recording ever of ponnammal singing tamadam en swami.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

No doubt Parassala PonnammAl (PP) is a Carnatic music doyenne and also it is amazing that she is singing so well even at 90 plus years. She does not need any awards - what she has got at the age of 94 in terms of musical ability itself is a great blessing.
Wonder how she remembers the lyrics at this ripe old age and don't think she refers to any books etc.,

Coming to SK award - the criterion is complicated - artiste needs to be popular as well and should have given continuous concerts for a many number of years - even more chance to get if artiste sings every year in the academy (any slot). Don't think she will meet these criteria - she doesnot need to anyways - her stature is much much bigger. Also PP was discovered(?) by Sri Rama Varma only in the last decade or two. Before that she was more a teacher than a concert artiste. Sangeetha Kala Acharya could be given but that is also too tough

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

HarishankarK wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 06:31 Sangeetha Kala Acharya could be given but that is also too tough
If I am not wrong she was awarded the Sangeetha Kala Acharya Award some 10 years ago or so..

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

ram1999 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 14:39
HarishankarK wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 06:31 Sangeetha Kala Acharya could be given but that is also too tough
If I am not wrong she was awarded the Sangeetha Kala Acharya Award some 10 years ago or so..
Not that I know of

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

But she highly deserves it

CRama

Post by CRama »

Regarding awards bestowed on Parassala Ponnammal Mami, please see the following extracts from my article in Sruti magazine published in September 2017.

Bharat Kalachar honoured her with Acharya Kala Bharati in the year 2008. Same year Krishna Gana Sabha also honoured her with Acharya Choodamani award. Another unforgettable moment for Ponnammal was when the nonagenarian Hindusthani Vocalist Padma Vibhooshan Gangubhai Hangal fecilitated her in Hubli the same year. In 2009 she embarked on her first U.S trip extending to 35 days for participating in the Cleveland Tyagaraja Aradhana festival and she received the Acharya Ratnakara Award from Bhairavi Fine Arts Cleveland, U.S.A. She also presented concerts in San Diego, Philadelphia and Chicago and everywhere it was a success. Prince Rama Varma recalls- “whenever I visit U.S and tells that I am from Trivandrum, the music lovers immediately remembers about the music concerts of Ponnammal and inquire about her well being. With one visit to the U.S, she has acquired a place in the minds of the music lovers of U.S.” The Government of Kerala bestowed on her the Swati Puraskar in the year 2009. Same year she received the Central Sangeet Nataka Academy Award from the President of India Pratibha Patil. Music Academy honoured her with the T.T.K Award of Excellence in the year 2010. It was a very touching scene when the entire audience in the Academy stood up in reverence when the award was presented to Ponnammal. She received the Padmasri Award from President Pranab Mukherjee this year. It was the greatest moment of her life.

Earlier, Sree Swati Tirunal Sangeeta Sabha, Trivandrum honoured her with the Gayaka Ratnam award in 1996. She had received Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy Award in 1977 and Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy Fellowship in 2002.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Kudos to Sri Rama Varma to bringing her to the limelight

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup from The Hindu dated July 02nd 2021. Vidushi Golden Girl indeed broke many many ceiling with her purity of notes and paddantharam.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 078886.ece

RSR

Post by RSR »

Very often , wiki articles are very informative. much better than The Hindu articles.
Here is one .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parassala_B._Ponnammal

-------------------
She passed away on 22 June 2021, at her home in Valiyassala, Thiruvananthapuram, aged 96.