Palladam Sanjiva Rao (Flute)

Carnatic Musicians
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

With Balakrishna Iyer and T.K.Murthy

ajit

Post by ajit »

If anyone is interested, I can post an audio clip of Palladam Sri Sanjeeva Rao.

ajit.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, please.

mohan

Post by mohan »

That's sure is a young Sri TKM! Incidently, Sri Sanjeeva Rao's great grandson is a concert mrudangam artiste - Palladam R. Ravi, who is based in Madurai.

ajit

Post by ajit »

I have uploaded the following:

Paramukham in Surutti - http://www.sendspace.com/file/t10d18

KsheeraSaagara in Devagaandhaari - http://www.sendspace.com/file/x83sl9

ajit.

hareesh

Post by hareesh »

Dear Sir
Can you please once again upload the renditions once again.Lord Rama bless you.
Hareesh

cienu

Post by cienu »

srkris,

I was pretty sure that the Mridangam Vidwan was NOT Sri T.K.Murthy.

However to be safe I had checked out with sources close to Murthy Mama and he is NOT the person playing the mridangam !

Earlier In a different Forum Sri V.Nagarajan , the kanjira vidwan and R.K.Venkatrama Shastry the violin vidwan were wrongly identified as Trichy Sankaran and Sundaresa Iyer respectively. (Corrections have still not been made!)

And I also remember that someone has challenged the photograph of Mysore Vasudevachar in the Vageyakara section as not being the same person !

Considering the number of persons who visit our site , I think that whomsoever uploads pictures , the responsibility lies on that person to double check the names.

I personally feel that wrong identification of persons is disrespectful to both the artists , the one who has been named but not in the picture and the one in picture but wrongly named.

Please click on the link below to find a young Murthy Mama siiting down crosslegged on the ground. (However there was a mistake by "The Hindu" in identifying the ladies for which the paper published a correction subsequently ! )

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fr/2007/04/27 ... 400300.htm
Last edited by cienu on 27 Jan 2008, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I could not find any reference about Palladam VN Rajan , the prime disciple of PSRao in any of these threads.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Cienu I agree that we need to take care while identifying artistes but since most of us have never seen these stalwarts (at least in their youth) one usually relies on secondary sources and mistakes can creep in...I don't think the disrespect, if any, is intentioanl. Of course once the mistake is identified, it is the poster's resposibility to correct it.

I too found it hard to correlate the photo with TKM! Who is the mrudanga vidwan?

cienu

Post by cienu »

Vijay , Ofcourse I do agree that the errors are entirely innocent :) My only "grouse" if any was on 2 issues.

These "photographic errors" are happening a little too frequently for comfort. The "sources" therefore need to be revisited and secondly no corrective action is done after the mistake is discovered.

I have no clue on who the mridangam vidwan in this photo is. Except that he is much taller than Murthy Mama :) Perhaps a few mridangam vidwans on our forum can help. The photograph appears to have been taken between 1930 and 1940. Maybe in a temple and not at a wedding. Just look at the unostentatious arrangements ! No concert platform. No mikes. Just a few mattresses. The wall carvings in the background are give aways. There appears to be an Anjaneya on the left and a singer with a Tambura on the right. (Thyagabraham himself ??)

The photograph is no doubt excellent and reflective of an era which is now history.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Wow Cienu! You certainly have an eye for detail - that would do Sherlock proud!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Ajit
I know you're in Madras but any chance you could post those clips again...

Any chance anybody else has some clips of Sanjeeva Rao, I need them urgently
Thanks

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Re; Photo Identification and attribution. All the points made by Cienu/Vijay are valid--I am sure Murthy mama would have been flattered that he was shown as being "taller" than he is.
reverting to Palladam Sanjeeva Rao, I have heard him in his later years mostly in Music Academy Demos and the thruvaiyaru festival where by tradition he opened with Sethulara in Nata Bhairavi .

Ofcourse this was the way Flute was being played by his Guru Sarabha sastry and his contemporary Tiruppamburam Swaminatha Pillai (sputtering steam engine like--called Tutthaharam I hope I got the terminology right). Mali Sir revolutionised the flute with his High Sruthi(5 kattai plus)--the blowing,fingering,the instrument design itself--this has become (and rightfully so!!) the norm these days. One "wag" when I was growing up used to describe Palladam Sanjiva rao's flute--whenever he plays in the Sundareswarar hall(old Rasika ranjani Sabha venue)--that the organisers would switch off the fan!!!!(so much "air' was being circulated!!) But truth be told Palladam was one of the "faithfuls" when it came to celebrate the Tyagaraja Aradhana amidst controversies and factions .I read soemwhere that he spent his own money in paying homage to the Saint.

Contrast this with efforts in the late seventies---when funds were being raised to "renovate the trinity's houses in Tiruvarur(where all three were born)--one leading Instrumentalist(shall remain unnamed) promised he would make his contribution AFTER his next AIR forthcoming Kutcheri remuneration was received!! Artistes like Maharajapuram Santhanam,Bombay Sisters,Lalgudi et al
contributed generously saying "there would be no living for them today if the Trinity had not lived and composed,,and if over the years if each musician had contributed a tiny 'royalty" payment for each song of the trinity that they sang/ played,how 'rich" would be the heirs of the Trinity? Now present day artistes are so finicky about protecting their Intellectual property Rights with all kinds of roadblocks(to prevent music sharing--I am not suggesting that ilegal downloading is OK) ,but the irony strikes me as hypocritical .,
Sorry for the digression from Palladam---he was admired in his own time but I doubt today amongst the younger forumites his style of playing would be appealing

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Paging Ajit again, in case you missed my post #12...
Dang, I lost your cellphone number and I don't have time to attend any katcheris today to look for you...my paymasters are breathing down my neck.

nandmkumar

Post by nandmkumar »

REMEMBERING FORGOTTEN ARTISTES OF YESTER YEARS

Dear Rasikas,

In 1960's I had the great fortune to listen to the melodious concert on
Flute by the then famous Palladam V.N.Rajan. It was in connection with
the week-long carnatic music series performed at Sreeramanavami Music
Festival conducted every year, in the premises of Sri Mahadeva Temple,
Ernakulam (Kochi). If I remember correct, he was accompanied on the
violin by Govindaswami Nayikar. My attempt to trace his music in Google
has brought only the following information:

Vital Stat Details Artist Rajan, Palladam V.N Date of Birth 16/02/1919
Genre Carnatic Instruments Flute Studied With Palladam Sanjeeva Rao
Gharana Concert Tour Research Publications %=caption%>
%=captionvalue% >

If any Members of our Rasika Community are having his songs
recordings with them, kindly make them uploaded
. It will be a great boon to rasikas

Regards

Musically yours

Nandakumar

cienu

Re: Palladam Sanjiva Rao (Flute)

Post by cienu »

Ajit,

request you to upload the clippings once again. Would be most grateful.
Uday, Any chance that you managed to get the files from Ajit. :)

ajit

Post by ajit »

Uday,
I did not check this thread out in more than a year. I would have posted the songs otherwise.. You could
have emailed me!!!! Anyways, cienu emailed me and that prompted me to read this thread. I will
post the songs again soon.

ajit

ajit

Post by ajit »

Two songs by Palladam Sanjeeva Rao on flute

Ksheera Saagara in Devagandhaari - http://www.sendspace.com/file/d481qr

Paramukham in surutti - http://www.sendspace.com/file/c3xqfs

ajit

cienu

Post by cienu »