Honor for lesser known vidwans of Karnataka @ RamaSevaMandal

Carnatic Musicians
s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Following vidwans were honored (No vidushis... why?)

I am proud to write about vidwans of "Namma Bengaloru"...

1. A.Bheemachar - Morsing vidwan
2. Mysore Srinivas Rao - Flute vidwan - A sishya of legend Mali
3. Basavangudi Nataraj - Violin / Vocal vidwan - Father of N.Amrit - kanjira vidwan
4. M.T. Selva Narayanan - Vocal - AIR vidwan - Sishya of Sangeetha kalanidhi R.K.Srikantan
5. Mysore Subramanyam - Veena & Vocal - Decendent(?) of Veena Seshanna family (What is mari makkalu in kannada??).
6. M.S.Govindaswamy - Violin vidwan
7. Chandramouli (from bangalore) - kanjira artist - sishya of T.A.S.Mani
8. H.L.Srinivasan - retired chief manager, HAL - Was one of organizing committe member of Rama Seva Mandali (He is a very old person, should be 90+)

All the speeches were good, nice annectodes quoted. Braindrain / Sowmya - please quote if you remember. My kannada (not raga name, i refer the language) is very bad.

Vid TVG was one of the guest of honor. Bangalore DGP Srinivasan was chief guest, and also Krystal group chairman K.K.Nambhodiri was in dias.

Briandrain - Can you post some pics of the function?

Does anyone know more about these vidwans? I would like to hear. Also any sample recording will help.

-hari

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Here is a detailed report from today's Hindu. Glad that i reported it before Hindu reached everyone in India (;- There is a picture also... Braindrain - Hindu saved some job for you :D

http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/21/stories ... 520200.htm

-hari

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Hari,
Mari MakkaLu is 'great grand children'. Mysore Subrahmanya is a very well known music critic. I think he regularly writes for the Hindu as well. What I didnt know was that he was a desecndent of Veene Sheshanna

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Oh, I did not know Mysore Subramanya was one of the descendents of Veene Sheshanna ..

-Ramakriya

SSK

Post by SSK »

Mysore Subramanya is the son of Swara Murthy V.N. Rao. The following is a brief sketch of Swara Murthy V.N. Rao, from the book "Reminiscences of a Musician" by Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam:

" Swara Murthy V.N. Rao was a child prodigy. When he was five years old, he sang a pallavi in the raga Kalyani (Adi tala) for 1½ hours along with his grandfather Veena Seshanna, in the court of Gadwal Maharaja of Andhra. Everyone was surprised with this wonder kid. The Maharaja blessed him with the title - ‘Swaramurthi’. Rao’s parents were Veena Ramanna (1882 - 1956) and Subbamma. Ramanna was the adopted son of Veena Seshanna.

Swara Murthy Rao was a vocalist, veena player and a teacher. He was a gentleman and very cultured. We used to meet almost daily and exchange notes till the day he left Mysore to settle down in Bangalore. He was a good composer too. He has composed a varnam in the raga Begada set to Adi tala, a Saptataleswari varnam in raga Sankarabharanam and a kriti ‘Ninna Nambideno’ in raga Dharmavati.

His son Mysore Subramanya, a veena player, is the Secretary of Karnataka Gana Kala Parishat.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Thanks SSK. I am very happy to hear about Sri Mysore Subramanya and his parents...

-hari

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

BTW, MS Sheela's new vAggEyakAra vaibhava series features vINa ShEshaNNa: http://www.mssheela.com/hamsadhwani/audio_nxt.html