Aruna Sairam

Carnatic Musicians

arasi

Re: Aruna Sairam

Post by arasi »

Good to hear this. Hope they have a vijayadaSami gAnArambham (initiation into music) from next year .
Last year, a friend who loves music and has two children who both have been taught to listen to and learn and appreciate CM--went all the way from Karnataka to the residence of 'Golden Girl' Parassala Ponnammal in Kerala to get her blessings and a lesson on Vijaya dasami day!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"Children enjoy a challenge... one way to attract them to carnatic music is to conduct.........."

Aruna Sairam With Children --watch the links;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Qaf1Xu ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cevxrVep ... re=related

and, an interview at Jaya TV On women's day :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PngxEcAJ30

venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

One more song of Smt Aruna Sairam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwUIAVBFrA

'E'-SWARA-25--Aruna Sairam - Nindrantha Mayil-Sindhu-Venkatakavi.flv

A request to lakshman ji-to provide lyrics

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

venkatakailasam wrote: 'E'-SWARA-25--Aruna Sairam - Nindrantha Mayil-Sindhu-Venkatakavi.flv

A request to lakshman ji-to provide lyrics

venkatakailasam
pallavi:
ninRanda mayil onRu tALangaL pODa
kaNDu anda vaNDu onRu rIngAram pADa
kanRu onRu vAlinAl sAmaram pODa
kaNNanum kuzhal oodi gAnangaL pADa

anupallavi:
eppOdu idaip pOlum ETRAyO kAdE
inRu unakku ETRavaraiyElum tappAdE
appOdaikku ippOdu uraittAl AgAdE
AnadAl maTRu edaiyum Ayap pugAdE

caraNam:
nIla oLi mEniyil ninRu ADum mAlai
mEl uyara vAn uRavumAna pasum sOlai
kOlamoDu gOvindan kuzhal Udum kAlai
ElAdu pOgumO ingu enna vElai

angE ingE enRu alaiyAdE manamE
Azhndu pAr unnuLLE brundAvanamE
tangaLadu kaNNanin pEr pADumunamE
tAnAgat tONumE sangaiyEn inimEl

gOvinda gOvinda rAdhA mukundA
gOvinda gOvinda rAdhA mukundA
gOvinda gOvinda radhA mukundA

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Enna_Solven:

Great!

A few corrections; but please do check!

eppOdu idaip pOlum > eppOdum idaip pOlE
inRu unakku > innum unakku
uraittAl AgAdE > vayasAnadAlE
AnadAl > AgaiyAl
kuzhal Udum kAlai > kuzhal Udum vELai
tAnAgat tONumE > tAnAgat tONRumE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shouldn't it be cAmaram pODa?

venkatakailasam

Who is the composer of this song ?

venkatakailasam

Pratyaksham Bala

Sri Oothukkadu Venkatasubbaiyer.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote:Enna_Solven:

Great!

A few corrections; but please do check!
Though I have this song fro Aruna Sairam's Kana Vendamo CD, I didn't listen and transcribe. The lines are from an earlier web search. As in the case of PD, there are many differences in the lyrics of OVK's songs. Many singers sing the lyrics of several songs differently.

Though his Sanskrit and many Tamil compositions use precise, literary words, he has also used vernacular forms quite freely. We do not know which was the original: tONRumE or tONumE.

Pratyaksham Bala

>> there are many differences in the lyrics of OVK's songs. Many singers sing the lyrics of several songs differently.

Yes, I fully agree with you.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Clever publicity using the hindu which reaches a million eyeballs each day. I would always think just may be, just may be Smt ArunA sairam may be getting very close to overtaking maharajapuram santhanam in terms of audience reach.
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2010/12/17/stor ... 631200.htm
Last edited by rajeshnat on 17 Dec 2010, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am not in any way opposed to Aruna Sairam. She may not be one of my favourite artists, but why I should I complain about others enjoying her music?

However... Is it just my imagination, or does she feature in almost every newspaper I pick up these days?

Priya Ravi

Post by Priya Ravi »

Aruna Sairam’s concert review in THE HINDU :-

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article997199.ece

Quote from THE HINDU :- “Sairam dressed it up the swara kalpana in her unique fashion by adding a ragamalika train, each carriage landing on a swara in ascending scale with ragas such as Ranjani, Kanada, Hindolam, Ananda Bhairavi, Mohanam and Revati and the finale combining all the ragas. The objective was fulfilled. This novelty received a thunderous ovation from the audience.”

Some of the great musicans have been regularly playing / singing these kind of raagamalika swaras . For example, I have listened to the violin brothers Ganesh and Kumaresh playing this kind of Raagamalika swaram about 20 years back and they continue to play like that even now. Aruna Sairam is not the first performer to sing this kind of train of Raagamalika swaras.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm sure it is embarrassing to artists when critics get stuff like this wrong.

Being unjustly praised is as bad as being unjustly criticised.

venkatakailasam

Nick H

Sir,

Why you have developed this ? towards Smt Aruna Sairam. You are critical without showing that you are.!

Well, I also some times feel that while her concerts are rich with proteins and Vitamins, they lack fiber and fat as also carbohydrates !

venkatakailasam

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think you have misunderstood my words.

That last post, in particular, was confirming that when a reviewer publishes something about an artist that is factually incorrect, especially if it credits it them with something that they did not, actually, pioneer, then the artist probably feels embarrassed. The fault is all that of the reviewer, never that of the artist. They had no control over what was written.

Aruna Sairam attracts a lot of people to carnatic music. My wife, even, who will not come to some of the concerts that top my list, will go to listen her. I make no secret that she is not a favourite of mine, but nor do I write off her music as some do. Long may she continue filling halls. Long may she continue to fuel my wife's small interest in CM
Well, I also some times feel that while her concerts are rich with proteins and Vitamins, they lack fiber and fat as also carbohydrates !
I think that is well put, although I also think she is quite capable of singing serious music. Do I have to blush if I admit that I thoroughly enjoyed some music of hers that my wife played at home the other day? ;)

Actually, there are several artists whose names are on my don't-see-again list, and some of them are considered by others to be geniuses! You'll find those names well below that of AS on my list. In fact, if my wife wants to go, you may even find me at one of her concerts. What's more, if I'm going to be there, I might as well unashamedly enjoy some of her carbohydrate!

narayan

Post by narayan »

venkatakailasam, Aruna Sairam's Music Academy concert this season is reported by the Hindu reviewer to have contained Koniyadina in Kambhoji, Seeta Vara in Devagandhari and Ehi Annapurne in Punnagavarali. Plus a solid pallavi and a Neelambari piece. I suppose that's plenty of fibre or carbs or whatever ;) Was this concert reviewed in our forum?

Nick H, I don't know exactly what is serious music, but engaging thousands of rasikas with Koniyadina sounds pretty serious to me. In the good old days, I've heard her keep small select audiences totally engrossed with the likes of Evvare Ramayya (Gangeyabhushani?), Veenapustakadharini and solid padams, which i can still recall. I'm sure she could do that today also. The amazing thing is now the huge connect she has with large audiences (I've not attended a concert of hers for some years now, but based on what I read and here and there on youtube). That's quite something! Good for her.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I agree absolutely.

My wife was playing one her CDs the other day. Checking who was singing, I said, "nothing wrong with this, it is great. Can't see anything 'populist' about this." The CD went on to a thillana, in a rather over-dramatised dance (rather than kutchery) style, delivery. That is what we probably mean by carbohydrate. It did not work for me on the CD, but, at a concert, I would probably have been swept along by the flow and enjoyed it.

venkatakailasam

Shri narayanan:

I was accused sometime back in this forum as an admirer of Smt Aruna sairam. It was about a subapantuvarali mix done by me lasting about an hour. Of late she is -as it looks to me -adopting or rather concentrating more populist singing as a crowd puller
than real carnatic concerts starting with a varnam ,developing with a raga, pallavi singing and the like.
I have not come across anything in the recent past which I am sure is capable off.

venkatakailasam

narayan

Post by narayan »

venkatakailasam wrote:I was accused sometime back in this forum as an admirer of Smt Aruna sairam.
Nothing wrong with that, I hope? Perhaps I could join you on this forum. Certainly no dearth of admirers in the world outside!
venkatakailasam wrote:Of late she is -as it looks to me -adopting or rather concentrating more populist singing as a crowd puller than real carnatic concerts starting with a varnam ,developing with a raga, pallavi singing and the like.
I have not come across anything in the recent past which I am sure is capable off.
The Music Academy programme this year seemed to be exactly this type of concert. Of late, apparently she can do much more than that. Some people seem quite threatened by this prospect!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

She has chosen her niche, but it is interesting to hear about the MA concert. I suspect that she would excel at whatever area of the music she chose to perform in.

venkatakailasam

Shri Narayanan.

So, She had reserved concert type music for forums like MA only... While others have to enjoy thukada type music .. It is also OK for people like me and we are content with what is available in OLD archives .

My feeling is different. Enjoy the good music..whatever be the source . By being an admirer of a particular Artist you may stand the chance of losing a good concert of another.I agree Rasikas have different tastes.

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What was then a bug in a CM concert is now sung with a bang ;)
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2503172.ece

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Congratulations, Aruna Sairam! I have heard her sing a beautiful Shiva pantuvarali ( That's what it says on it- sounds like Subha Pantuvarali to me ) alapana and Sri Sathyanarayanam on the You Tube. I don't know how long the alapana was, but it was long- not boring at all. Very beautifully sung by her.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

I understand that recently there was a symposium of carnatic and hindustani music where Aruna Sairam, Ajoy Chakravarthy, TN Krishnan, TN Rajam, Mannargudi Easwaran and a famous tabla player participated which was conducted in conjunction with Chembur fine arts....did any one attend and is there any report on this ? Grateful for reports....Sam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Of late Smt ArunA sairam is giving exclusive abhang concerts.
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2647381.ece

sriranjanimalavi

Post by sriranjanimalavi »

Check Aruna Sairam's photoshoot in http://sriranjanimalavi.blogspot.com/!
She looks so graceful! :):) :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sivasailam Endownment award for Smt Aruna Sairam
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article3734503.ece

venkatakailasam

Thiruvadi saranam-kambhoji....

rendered by Smt Aruna Sairam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCUpxNyXRZw

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Rajeshnat:While I do not begrudge the recognition for Aruna( heaven knows HOW Hard she has worked for the last 50 odd years) but as in the Hindu write-up as well as others I have seen about her, I find seldom acknowledgement of her Father Mr. Sethuraman's immense contribution to her growth and development.

As I have mentioned in this forum(under Aruna Sairam),Mr.Sethuraman was steadfast in his belief in tradition,purity and was primarily responsible for hosting the Dhanammal family,Ramnad krishnan,Tanjore Sankara Iyer(the latter being the biggest beneficiary of Mr.Sethuraman's generosity when almost 60 years ago he landed in Bombay as a young man,disturbed by lack of support in Chennai for his talents). Aruna's mother died young and since her demise Mr.Sethuraman was unflinching in his support and equally encouraged his daughter-in-law Geetha Raja(who was also immensely talented) and put her under Brindama's tutlelage.

My own knowledge of the families of Aruna,Bombay Sisters and Ranjani Gayathri-(-all Mumbaikars!! I might add!!) and the heaps of praise laid on all of them in the media leads me to believe that the role of the parents(especially the fathers) has not been adequately acknowledged. Each one of them put their own careers in the backburners.
Ofcourse it is not the fault of the media -- Maybe the artists themselves do not feel their gratitude needs to be publicly flaunted lest it be looked upon as a platitude!!!

None of the above should detract from my admiration for Aruna's devotion and tenacity towards Music and her constant urge to explore new vistas and "engage" audiences--both cognoscentis and rasikas alike!!!

The Award is richly deserved.

venkatakailasam

The thread on Smt. Geetha Raja is here...

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15373

It is my good fortune that she thought it fit to send me many of her albums....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: I find seldom acknowledgement of her Father Mr. Sethuraman's immense contribution to her growth and development.

As I have mentioned in this forum(under Aruna Sairam),Mr.Sethuraman was steadfast in his belief in tradition,purity ...

Aruna's mother died young and since her demise Mr.Sethuraman was unflinching in his support and equally encouraged his daughter-in-law Geetha Raja(who was also immensely talented) and put her under Brindama's tutlelage.

My own knowledge of the families of Aruna,Bombay Sisters and Ranjani Gayathri-(-all Mumbaikars!! I might add!!) and the heaps of praise laid on all of them in the media leads me to believe that the role of the parents(especially the fathers) has not been adequately acknowledged.
MKR Sir,
Aruna's mother was a musical teacher , I am not sure if her Dad Mr Sethuraman acted as a music teacher to Smt arunA . Certainly he may have been a nice person in terms of hosting vidwans (the kind of anthakAlathhu tanjore hospitality). Hence not much acknowledgement. RG Sisters have generally well acknowledged about the role of their dad MR Balasubramaniam(?n). Any way you can pass the feedback to Smt arunA sairam ,and I am sure smt sairam will genuinely see your viewpoint.

Roughly a year back I did see a TV program where in Aruna's husband was interviewed along with Smt Geetha raja, Shri Sairam has also contributed a lot for Aruna's success. Personally more than all the support I some how feel smt arunA sairam is very astute, her distinct KBS strong voice and being a great communicator with flair for multiple languages has indeed got her great laurels. I see that kind of astuteness typically with these south indians who are raised in Bombay . On a side note not that I claim that I know her , she belongs to the same village as my purvangAm nallamAnkudi (nannilam taluk) which is near tiruvArur.

Flash forward nowadays I always see more and more big concert announcements of her upcoming concerts , 5 days to go , 1 day to go ,there is more flash than musical substance .Today she teamed up with shankar mahadevan and she performed in Narada gana sabhA. Shankar Mahadevan and Aruna Sairam I cannot comprehend that combo, perhaps only mumbaikar like you (MKR Sir) can get this kind of music ;) .

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

On reading some biographical info about Aruna Sairam, I noted that she was trained by "A S Mani, disciple of Tiger Varadachariar" in Kalpana Swara rendition.

Can anyone say more about A S Mani? I am trying to trace his descendants.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Stretching from Veena dhanammal to gregorian music is definitely an over stretch. Smt Aruna always communicates well
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 003593.ece

devan

Post by devan »

arunasairam is not singing in the season.is it true?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

She is singing in a couple of locations according to kutcheris.com. The Academy for sure.
http://kutcheris.com/schedule.php?sabha ... type=&vid=

devan

Post by devan »

she has cancelled all her concerts,according to my information

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I hope all's well with the Vidushi and her family.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

It appears that Sangeetha Sivakumar is substituting for her at her regularly scheduled Academyy kutcheri on 29 Dec.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

In her official website, Aruna Sairam is still scheduled to perform at Music Academy. See here: http://www.arunasairam.org/

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

This is from Facebook:

"Aruna Sairam
Dear Friends,

Greetings of the season.

Hope you are gearing up for the Chennai December Music Season 2013.

I regret to inform you that I will be unable to perform at this season's concerts due to matters concerning my family that currently need my attention. I look forward to joining you all again, and creating more music in a few months.

On the positive side, I would like to share with you some good news. The Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama, has conferred on me their Award or Puraskar for the year 2013. This award is recognized as the highest national honor conferred on practicing artists, gurus and scholars. The Akademi honors are conferred by a general council of specialists in different fields of performing arts and representatives from different States and Union territories. I am extremely grateful to be recognized by the general council of this esteemed institution. It provides great motivation to the awardee to expand their artistic expression and extend the boundaries of their field."

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Smt. Aruna is a wonderful communicator. The communique from her was a masterpiece of simplicity and elegance.
Aruna Sairam wrote:It provides great motivation to the awardee to expand their artistic expression and extend the boundaries of their field."
Methinks this is sure to warm the cockles of many a peoples' hearts (Harimau, are you listening?)

sankark

Post by sankark »

Thanks to musicgoal, am listening to Aruna Sairam's performance right now. started with vAchama gOcharamundani in aTana and vinanA asa koni with swaras@vinanA asa koni . If one were to go just by this (oru pAnai sORRukku oru sOru padam, and so on), she is indeed a consummate carnatic musician. I still recall a grand thOdi and Ahiri (ninnE namminAnu & etula kApaduvO) of hers @ KGS, circa 2000.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I have not seen the T brinda in her music , perhaps I started listening to her much later after she took a different trajectory.
I did not know TRS mama has taught her pallavi , wish to hear one like that . All said and done , her impressive communication and a touch of sincerity which is non musical also interests me in her. Nice writeup congratulations on the prestigious award, congrats to vidushi aruna sairam .

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 922104.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Aruna is adding sitar and tabla and 5 extra voices - hmmm.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 485219.ece

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Very nice looking ensemble. What are those pink things in the foreground, though?

The program is called "en thAi nI anRO?" which made me think that she would have sung that song too. May be she did, and the reviewer did not mention it!

en thAi nI anRO? mInATchi, mannuyirtham innuyirE by Ambujam Krishna.

Aruna Sairam is a great communicator and she had JV and Karthik playing too.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Aruna a skillful communicator - she always gets nice writeup , that too at the beginning of the season.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

venkatakailasam

She has enough stuff in her...

Satyanarayanam-Subhapantuvarali-Dikshadar

http://mfi.re/listen/yr0hbgx5guvbxh0/Ar ... ikshadari3

tAmadamEn_svAmi-tODi...

http://mfi.re/listen/wt8hxsq6a915y88/00 ... Sairam.mp3

Jha Ho..

http://mfi.re/listen/69t4i6545k3eaoc/00 ... Jha_Ho.mp3