Suryaprakash

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash

Post by rajeshnat »

I wanted to attend this concert on Jan31st,2019. But I could not attend as work got late and there was no way i could reach arkays on time. Here is a lovely ragamalika of his own

# The song is sangeetha sowbhagyAmE - andOlikA +kAmBodhi + Rasikapriya + Desh + DarbarikAnadA- Suryaprakash

# The words and experience is very much carnatically intense like say thikku theiyatha kattil sung by GNB .
  • ## The Andolika was an anchor of just a statement which is perhaps is a problem of last 250 years . Also he pays obsesiance to the trinity thrimoorthis.

## The kAmbOdhi words had a common import of ideas which compare Excess Money that adds Greed perhaps that is last 1000 years old problem. Then a bit of nice play of words of kAmBodhi sollai and lack of time (with the word ganam)

## Rasikapriya is touching up everyday chores of an average indian with water shortage,desertification perhaps a 100 years world problem , hitting that indians have to travel abroad for even jobs. He bit ends with patronage of rasikas having time

## Desh words are touching upon higher education and settling abroad. He touches upon awards and competition . May be that is a 50 year old problem .

## Then the next is a reference to Malayamarutham with a toss of words .The theme is more current and hits the facebook (muganool in thamizh). May be that is a 15 year Mark Zuckerberg created problem.

## The reference to darbAriKanada is more looking positively and just throwing all the lament outside. Kind of looking optimistically forward and current in 1+ years . Here i particularly liked the word play of darbAril enai kAnadA and adds that we need a suddha sangeetham .
# I personally did not know about this song at all. I just heard twice this segment to write the above .I think i almost got all words and meaning . This is right example of carnatic classical muse meeting words. Atleast as a rasika i always feel the trinities have to be thanked in the past and overall a good optimistic optimistic and forward looking mindset closure is the key, any kind of social problems getting highlighted without brashness is the key.

# There is definite no political mileage anywhere , just pure carnatic musical mileage . One of a kind musician who is a great composer, such words to keep so extremely contemporary, tuning and singing .

Sangeetha and Composing bravO Suryaprakash, great support by RKSK , NC Bhardwaj and ChandrasekaraSarma.

Just look at this arkay link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yGYde ... .be&t=8928
Or
https://www.facebook.com/suryaprakash.ramachandran, our rajagopalan_v who has posted the song with a better recording, the facebook recording is better.

Folks like ravi, arasi,sridhar_rang,ranganayaki,lalitharam etal thoughts (+ and -)on the words and music of this song ?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

All,
I just heard some time in Jan /Feb 2019 there was a 4 and 1/2 hours concert by Suryaprakash-NagaiSriram-Trivandrum Balaji-Vyasa vittala in Mahalingeshwara temple, Puttur(near Mangalore), Karnataka. If there is any one who is connected to that place and if there is a recording available of this concert, please contact me through forum mail. I am also willing to pay for this concert if details are furnished.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This vidwan came from cleveland to land in mumbai for this concert. Then he went somewhere in mangalore for a subsequent concert . Then a travel back to back to bangalore and he had a constraint to drive himself from bangalore to chennai . Then after half a day rest he had his next concert in madras.. i had a chance to atleast hear the ithaya kovil thanilae in kalyanavasantham of Shri vaigal gnanaskandan for just 2 hours and 10 mins.

It looks mulund in mumbai does give far more time 3 hours is my guess , I only wish chennai takes up bit more carnatic night life and mumbai takes significantly little less carnatic night life. :idea: :idea: .

:arrow: Travel fatigue kills musicians but that fatigue also shows their extreme musical professionalism.

Nice review of suryaprakash concert in mulund dated May 02,2019 in The Hindu.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 011156.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In the last 6 months there has been a pleas after pleas for rains . Certainly we need it .Suryaprakash in the last 12 months or so is composing quite a lot of gems . This composition is on Lord Varuna - God of rains . Lovely thamizh words and more than that varunapriya raga is a great raga too. Personally The imagery of varunapriya in my head is very faint in my head , i can only think about the two geniuses TRS and SKR who have sung that koteeswara iyer krithi in varunapriya.

This composition is well done with atleast few swaraksharams is indeed well done . This raga varunapriya has been hiding quite a bit in shade with her/his big brother/sister kharaharapriya. There is also a tinge of prati like feel that you find with a rasikapriya or may be there is also a chAlanattai or whatever in that lakshya zone. All said lovely composition

VAnamE nee satrE kaNN thiRandhu pArayO - varunapriya - Suryaprakash can be heard with explanation in below link

https://www.facebook.com/suryaprakash.r ... Xc&fref=nf

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

what a scholarly Ragamalika composition!!!
'Raagangale Paadalgale' by R. Suryaprakash ji

cant stop listening to this ragamalika, as it brings in the popular compositions of CM and their raga bhavam clearly.

the mastery/ speciality of this compositions is the open phrases of the krithi embedded into this song.
Raagangale Paadalgale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xb4ceKwIQI
and lyrics/ meanings: viewtopic.php?t=28840

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Tracing the vaggeyakkara skills of Suryaprakash from years 2004 to 2020
----------------------------------------------------------------------
# First time in years 2004 to 2006 i knew he composed few thillanas . I think i heard his hamsanandi , suddha sarang and vasantha and one more raga which i am forgetting now. Atleast at that point of time i felt vasantha was really superb and unique ,I only came to know that there is another vasantha thillana by Amachatram kannuswami pillai . The vasanta tillana that RSP composed was on Lord Muruga ,the suddasarang was on Goddess ambal , the hamsanandi on Lord Perumal. Very recently last year i heard him sing a sumanesaranjani thillana . Logically if you see especially Lalgudi Jayaraman or BMK they have all composed in ragas that donot have thilllanas. TO an extent Suryaprakash has had a BMK-LGJ typecast there in thillana .

# IN krithis he sang few of them, i am atleast recollecting one in hameerkalyani (forgot the lines)and the other in bhavapriya. He sang this bhavapriya krithi - sadA nin pada margam in our rasikas concert in manakkal rangarajan house . Lot of swaraksharam . Last year in 2019 he sang a lovely varnam " neeyE sakala bhuvanam pOTrum" in ragam brindavani . It is lovely and i dont think there is any varnam in brindavani. I atleast see TRS typecast with suryaprakash in varnam

# I think in his lifetime his 30 raga composition with adequate touchpoints of popular krithis or ragas , starting with hamsanadam will be likely his main flagship krithi. THe krithi is devargal aRUl seidha ragangale starting in hamsanaadam ending with madhyamavati with 30 ragas in total . THis is well received

# Last year in 2019 apart from brindavani varnam, when he went to us tour he also got a sangeetha sowbhagyamE in ragamaliga . That sangeetha sowbhAgnyamE is more a contemporary words, bit of parody on present social media etc. See my previous post

# So many RTPS. I can say he is a RTP factory with 4 raga hamsa pallavi being the best. Some ragas like dwi madhyama scale SKR typecast ragas like sooryashri, miyan ki malhar and srothaswini all pretty long as nattaikurinji RTP , no musicians have attempted yet.

#. He has retuned with few contemporary composers like ARasi, one or two US based composers, few more indian composers i have forgotten their names. That particular aRindeNE in ahiri is what i recollect the most with Arasi pairing wiht suryaprakash. Last year some number in gopriya , a dream scale where he put a video link in ladakh where he composed that number. A nice number in varunapriya praying for rains - forgotten the lines now was well conceived.

# Cittaswaras for the famous MLV popularized krthi parkadal alai melE where he added superb cittaswaras for 6 ragas just when he recorded that as a cd in 2004 to 2006 circa.

#. I think all the above will not be as musicallly great as the swarajathi in reetigowlai that he sang in ratnagirieeswarar temple on Feb 15,2020 . He sang in dec 2019 in some sabha which i did not attend . But this one is quite spectacular for following reasons

##. THe theme and the swarajathi is on Lord Muruga ,nothing spectacular there . But the start in a very meditative kandA eNDrum nee Endan sinthaiyIL where he repeatedly resting with every phrase "kandA eNDrum" just like kamakshee of Shyama sastri gives so much of reeetigowlai sowkhyam . Reetigowlai is a lovely raga so very rich in emote and muse and I particularly like he selecting this raga . This is nice attempt to take up freshly unbrewed swarajathi in ragam reetigowlai, instead of again falling in say bhairavi or a todi lanes.

##. I did not got everything in one go this swarajathi when i heard it yesterday. But i noticed he gradually steps from keezh kala sa to mEL kala sA , i think he touches ma and ga for sure and 1 or two more notes . Every swara starts with that note and ends with that note , like sa to sa , ma to ma and finally SA to SA.

##. The words were lovely , i just wrote in jiffy few phrases mAnini suthanE saamagana lolanE .... gunasheelanE and prior to sahitya he started swaraksharam typecast of ma ni ni and ends with ma . IN mel SA there was another lovely swaraksharam like SAgaramAna isaiyil karai kandu.... ilamayil mudhamayil.... If i have recollected it right i think there was 5 or max of 6 sets of swara and sahitya .,

I am assuming GNB,TRS TMT, SUgunaPUrushottaman,TNS ,SKR,Santhanam have not composed swarajathi. I am making it 50 50 that possibly BMK and LGJ may have not composed swarajathis. I donot know if chitraveeena ravikiran has composed swarajathis , he is a genius he may have done it . I just read yesterday that there was a mention that Dr Baby sreeram has composed a swarajathi.As such it is a life time of vidwat and learning to get the words and swaras absolutely right , that too starting and ending with the same note in a progressing ascending scale of reetigowlai, perhaps this is one of a kind swarajathi, that only suryaprakash has done it first.

ShyamaSastri (Swarajathi in Bhairavi, Todi and YadukulakAmbodhi)
---->>>>>> Mayuram Vishwanatha Sastri and Tanjore Ponniah Pillai (their todi and bhairavi swarajati)
------>>>> Suryaprakash (swarajathi in Reetigowlai)

I would love to hear from any of you if you have heard any swarajathis by any contemporary vagayekkaras(they could be vidwans and vidushis) in the last 75 years in a concert, other than ponniah pillai, mayuram vishwanatha sastry and ofcourse shyama sastri.

I recollect once semmangudi mama said in a doordarshan recording that he sang neraval for bhairavi swarajathi and he said I sang that because i could get so much of bhairavi . Few eyerbrows were raised as then few felt that after swarajathi why should ssi follow it up with neraval and swaraas . Suryaprakash should go for a grand R N S in his reetigowlai and sing a neraval with swaras in this reetigowlai and make it as a grand main in future , That way he will do more justice to his less marketed paramaguru semmangudi . Bhairavi swarajathi encapsulates many known bhairavi krithis in one capsule, let the same happen for this reetigowlai swarajathi.

Bravo This reetigowlai swarajathi - kandA eNrum nee endan sinthaiyiL ezhundarula veNdum will have a longest shelf life . I also wish more future vidwans and vidushis take up this swarajathi in reetigowlai in their concerts. This will be as muscially as impactul as chinna kannan azhaikiran or thalaiyai kuniyum thamariyE of illayaraja's reetigowlai staple. Stating better this swarajati may get the status of janani ninnuvina which is enjoyed by both layman and connoisseurs.

p.s : Written this post as an offshoot of concert review of Feb 2020 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34034&p=360000#p359997

CRama

Post by CRama »

Sharing the happy news that Suryapraksh has been awarded Doctorate by University of Madras for his Ph. D thesis "Structured and systematic approach to Manodharma Sangeetham"

Congratulations to the vidwan and wishing him many more accolades in the years ahead.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:44 Sharing the happy news that Suryapraksh has been awarded Doctorate by University of Madras for his Ph. D thesis "Structured and systematic approach to Manodharma Sangeetham"

Congratulations to the vidwan and wishing him many more accolades in the years ahead.
Times of India has given a nice writeup of his doctorate thesis on March 08,2020
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 539059.cms

He being a second generation disciple of MMI and SSI , is to me taking steps to be bit more analytical like the extraordinary GNB and his disciple SKR. Atleast my last live concert of he singing his own swarajati in reetigowlai certainly showed his "structured approach to manOdharmam". In historic past he sang a S kalyanaraman dwimadhyama pallavi which no one has so far attempted. I read in a social media post that his thesis is going to be published soon as a book as requested by his phd adjudicators and those who attended his presentation in QMC.

Best wishes to Suryaprakash. Looking forward to read his published thesis.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

"MummoorthigaLum Naan maraigaLum Pancha bhoothangalum pOtrum ArumuganE - EzhisaiyAl unnai Navavida Bhakthiyudan pAda arulvAy "

The above pallavi in Shanmukhapriya has 3,4,5,6,7 and 9 spacing in between the beats. Suryaprakash asssociates Trimurthis(3), Four Vedas(4), Pancha Boothas (5), Lord of six faces Aarumugam (6), Seven Notes (7) and navavidha bhakthi (9).

Just collating this in right thread , extraordinary pallavi of pallavis in concept

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34222

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suryaprakash - Mahakavi bharathi Kuyilpaatu
------------------------------------------
Mahakavi bharathiyar is a well sought out persona . It is very nice for suryaprakash to tune the kuyil paatu as a long series which is notyet attempted. I knew about the Kuyilkurinji ragam but not the Suryavasantha ragam. Best wishes

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 693536.ece

-Friday review of The Hindu dated May 29,2020

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Kalyani Varadarajan is a terrific composer. Two great musicians in the past TRS and SKR have taken her songs and rendered. Nice rendition of few songs with Suryaprakash supported by Nagai Sriram ,Tanjore Murugabhoopathy and Trichy Murali.

1. Aparna Parvati - Nalinakanthi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBG8UpJ0IME

2. PayOrasi BalE- DwijAvanti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4h6K7XlkU

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very comprehesive interview covering particularly the early facets of this vidwan Suryaprakash. May be there could have been mention about his shanmughapriya where he connects Trimurthis(3), Four Vedas(4), Pancha Boothas (5), Lord of six faces Aarumugam (6), Seven Notes (7) and navavidha bhakthi (9),which i think is once a millenium composition (post #84).

Also mention about swarajathi in reetigowlai which noone has done yet could have been mentioned (post #81) ,brindavani varnam , gopriya ragam composition for uniqueness that not any vaggeyakkara has tried before.

Any case well done sudarshan srinivasan , particularly sringeri acharya blessing is perhaps a significant turning point for Suryaprakash /Thank god this musician did not join BITS pilani, that would have been a loss to carnatic music.

https://sudarshansrinivasan.com/2020/09 ... OOFqESoP3k

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 14:10Very comprehesive interview
It's a nice article, and particularly nice to see the youth-time photos :)

sankark

Post by sankark »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 14:10 Very comprehesive interview covering particularly the early facets of this vidwan Suryaprakash.
Nice write-up/short profile rather than an full-fledged interview. Would be nice to have a MLV type interview with many artistes. With a LOL statement "The normal way any typical South Indian child grows up is in an environment immersed in classical music.".

And RS seems pretty pragmatic -
After my first few successful concerts and the critical appreciation, I thought I can take up music as my career right away but woke up to the reality of things being not so easy. Coming from a well-connected family surely helps a fledgling artiste to get a fillip, at least initially, and with the absence of that facility, having to prove your abilities time and again before modest gatherings could be frustrating
Are these theses published online by UnivOfMadras for public consumption?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suryaprakash in the series - Chat the Music - All within 2 mins
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last 2 weeks this brilliant vidwan Suryaprakash exactly gives a concise thought on carnaticness of a particular ragam, and a bit of support from others on non core musical aspects. All within 2 mins . Everything is concise and in a nutshell. 2 episodes are over , first is aabhogi and second is aabheri

Abhogi - Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enouQ5EasBg

Abheri - Episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Dc4KaOAq4

This is weekly series, Every Sunday 08:30 PM IST is the live time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Soorya - Episode 3
Indeed a lovely ragam, one can map it to the more Popular H******m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezdeAWVWEig

Lavangi - Episode 4
I particularly liked he connecting to the legendary composer and perhaps one of the prime attributes that he picked up on Dr M BMK. I was thinking he may not finish in 2 mins , but he just combined two sections in one shot and touched the finish line before 2 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEiYru2DT7o

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

You can switch on closed captions cc in the above videos. English crisp text is available

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

All within 2 mins each for every raga , suryaprakash gives the essence of essence

NattaiKurinji - Episode 5
Explanation of Nattaikurinji vs Neelambari was noteworthy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9LrtOpywE

Hemavati - Episode 6
Hemavati vs Desasimvaram difference was well done . I personally did not know the song Kannai Thirandha karunai kaar MeghamE when one of his disciples sings the last song . This song was tuned by the greatest music composer , how did he do it in hemavati . Very well researched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHS4A19WWVk

Devagandhari -Episode 7
Nice anecdote of Tirukodikaval krishna iyer when he quotes Devagandhari vs Arabi difference. I did not know about the Madurai Meenakshi song that another well respected great composer from malabar land did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlno2ECR2tw

Ranjani -Episode 8
Lovely raga alapana and jeeva swaras of Ranjani. IS there a better singer to recollect and sing as an example . daa sa sa da sa sa .... dA sa ri ga sa ri ... Who else other than one and only greatest Carnatic Musician - Gonna kala There for this ragam illustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXnIJY0Ihas

Spend just 8 mins , you get your electrolyte jeeva pidis and distilled content of these 4 ragas

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

2 mins each series , spend your 8 mins
Neelamani - Episode 9
Taanam in neelamani is not known to me , reference to the greatest flaship song Enna Kavi paadinalum - Art Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yackGgy2F60

Desh - Episode 10
Desh is associated always with Aug 15th independence . The flagship krithi is nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygmDYRY6M0A

Sriragam - Episode 11
Cluster of ragas around sriragam is explained well. The biggest surprise is to hear Vishruthi Girish , daughter of Gayathri Girish, well done and crisp- Vishruthi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9xYctoJ5ww

KambOdhi - Episode 12
Kambodhi , more than reference of MMI , Suryaprakash singing GNB famous viruththam is well done with stormbodhi(no calmbodhi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wn7CRufI_s

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Brilliance Brilliance to discover a new raga , this vidwan did some time back two new ragas, Kuyil Kurinji and now Suryavasantha. This Suryavasantha varnam certainly has streaks of composers of repute like GNB,Lalgudi Jayaraman, SKR, TRS , DR BMK and TMT . Looking forward to hear this new varnam in concert platform.

This vidwan springs surprises all the time, once I even heard a dwi madhyama raga RTP (detailed ) in suryashri to commemorate SKR. I hope this varnam - kanamum maravOm - suryavasantha - suryaprakash follows the viral trend of Brindavani varnam of his which is too good that was quite comparable to say innum en manam (charukEsi pada varnam of LGJ) or vanajaaksha (behag varnam of TRS)and mathE (kamas varnam of HMB). Suryavasantha is the janyam of Shoolini, melakartha 35.

Suryavasantha - Episode 13
------------------------
Suryavasantha , new raga discovered by Suryaprakash. He says it has the flavour that is an amalgamation of Vasantha and nattai. So I assume that 'Surya' in Suryavasantha is his mudhra. Mohanakalyani came from Mohanam and Kalyani , but suryavasantha came from Vasantha and nattai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmIFedAqDJI

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ragamalika Viruththams are lovely with a range of ragas , particularly when there is more time given to each of the ragas not rush too fast or make it too short an arc of ragas (4 or more is better). The masters that I think are Maharajapuram Santhanam , Madurai Somu, KV Narayanaswamy , GNB ,MS amma and ML Vasanthakumari. Particularly say when a brand new viruththam each of the musicians take, be a tunesmith for eg say Kanda guha shanmugha of santhanam . Of course we have few living legends like say TN Seshagopalan leading the pack as of now. To an extent a touch of pathos in viruththam willl be usually bettter so there is more carnatic stickiness.

The below one is a nice one . Quite a task to tune in 6 ragas the Mahakavi bharathiyar Kuyil Paatu. Kuyil Pattu Paduvom - Episode 21 (pre final episode) . This episode full of pathos has been recorded solo, set in ragas kalyani, srothaswini, kumudakriya, saramathi, yamuna kalyani, manirangu and kanada. Atleast each raga is tossed for 6 to 8 lines . Bharathiyar is given a great polish

Check out this episode in the link of the above 7 ragas (particularly i liked saramathi, srotaswini and manirangu a lot - I am not sure if i have heard these 3 ragas in ragamaliga slokham /viruththam)

https://youtu.be/XM0NMuYAZi4

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

2 mins each , spend your next 8 mins

Todi - Episode 15
---------------
todi is king of ragas , apt to connect to nadaswara superstar TNR. I was surprised to hear Abhilash Giriprasad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot68bnF6pJY

Charukesi - Episode 16
--------------------
Nice to connect Super Genius Lalgudi Jayaraman and his brilliant varnam. Sarasangi vs Charukesi explained . Nice to hear the voice of Vidushi Vidya Kalyanaraman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dcRirTzi4w

Kharaharapriya - Episode 17
-------------------------
Connecting the Semmangudi ,the super star of KHP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifvd0jg61HA

Keeravani - Episode 18
--------------------
In this last 8 mins, i liked this keeravani the most. Joy to hear taanam from Suryaprakash. Suryprakash associates Keeravani with Helplessness with keeravani. I personally think it as surrender with confidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WinHwKlK5E

=======
I missed mentioning Darbari .. went to suryavasantha (check post #96 that i did on sept) which is 14.

Darbari KAnadA - Episode 13
--------------------
Nice explanation of Darbari kAnada vs KAnada . Darbaari is a superb raga to bring Hm like meends into it. Take another 2 mins from 8 to 10 with darbari.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0FtM4-4JU

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Madurai Mani Iyer Sarvalaghu school is one of a kind . No other school gives this kind of kalpana swaras with such tightness of rhythm and more importantly raaga bhava fluency . The fast filler between submain and main is one of a kind for any cm concert and hear this one .

Suryaprakash has not paired that much with Patri .What a flow from them with the support of L Ramakrishnan and Chandrasekara sharma. I wonder how one can have such accurate carnatic fluency with such musical aura with the fundamentals being built in sarvalaghu(kanakku is ingrained as a DNA inside the krithi and manodharma ) .

True champs of sarvalaghu - Suryaprakash and Patri, with minimalist cute support from L R and C S creating distinct sarvalaghu as a fresh concert idea then and there. Absolute manodharmam in full flow. No violin return or ghatam return run run and run with fluency in one go and bring more richness of carnatic classicism!!!

Bantureeti (N,S) - hamsanadam - T
3 mins neraval raama naaama and 4 mins downpour of 22 cms of swaras like Nov 07,2021 rain in chennai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGaFRZ64ZpI

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

June 21st is just not Yoga Day and it is also World Music Yoga Day!! This composition in rare ragam Lathanthapriya has reference to both Naada, Yoga and also the creator of Yoga, Patanjali. A divine composition of Swarna Venkatesa Dikshithar, Nice offering for World Music and Yoga Day by Suryaprakash with R Raghul on the violin and Burra Sriram on the mrudangam

https://youtu.be/A0lZLbIATak

Do your yoga go to savasana and hear this naadathinal namakku :), you still have some time in india and usa your day has just started. Happy music and yoga day,what a combo

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Brindavani or brindavana saranga does not have a varnam, for sure none of us have heard in circulation. For Suryaprakash to compose such a lovely varnam with so much of depth that challanges and gets into some established varnams like say LGJ charukesi , TRS Behag or GNB Ranjani varnam which were all perhaps picked by each vidwan turned vaggeyakkaras then as there was no varnams then in those ragas.

The link is a week before concert held in Maryland , USA . Suryaprakash is accompanied by Kamalakiran and another mrudangam star who plays very well and whose name can be told by some one else , as i dont know (Thanks PB , mrudangam artist is Vijay Ganesh, he is with beard and i could not recognize him)

Nice 12 mins varnam with Gokulashtami celebrations, with a brief pasuram sketch as a starter. The words is all about playful Lord Krishna. Brindavani raga swaroopam is shown with all its facets in this rare and only varnam. Surely the vaggeyakkara legacy is guaranteed like mahavidwans GNB, LGJ,TRS .

Neeye Sakala - Varnam - Brindavani - Suryaprakash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgbCpwoxFgQ
Last edited by rajeshnat on 21 Aug 2022, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rajeshnat wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 16:07 ... mrudangam star who plays very well and whose name can be told by some one else , as i dont know.
Check the given link !

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 16:07 Neeye Sakala - Varnam - Brindavani - Suryaprakash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgbCpwoxFgQ
Free flowing / mellifluous music sung with abundant ease!.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In 2011 this vidwan Suryaprakash wrote great posts about his prime paramaguru Gaanakaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer
www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=206025#p206025
Check the note of srutisudddham and. bit later sthaana sudham...

Now is he practicing what MMI kept as one of the finest legacy. Check the usually long krithi of MD which is not that sung for want of time, especially go till the end of swaras with copious on spot manodharma . TR Sundaresan , well done sir.

Suryaprakash singing vAthApi in hamsadhwani with swaras. Happy day after Vinayaka Chaturthi.

https://youtu.be/TSDFC07rgp4?t=93

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The sarvalaghu swaras of ganakaladhara typecast is one of a kind. We have in the midst of the greatest madurai mani whom i have not seen or heard as i was minus in age when he lived, suryaprakash seriously gives that typecast of carnatic intensity.

Fast filler is just not singing a fast song without swaras or just singing few cittaswaras and going to main , It has to have a fast non fragmented violin return long typecast of manodharma swaras and getting in the course of long pattern the mmi crecendos .95 percent of the schools and musicians will not sing fast filler with such long swaras , There should be no excess kanakkus that destroys the melodic aspect of the raga bhavam. Also swaras has to have a sahitya like suddham where you can take a pen and paper write .Also please remember in pragmatic sense in kutcheri pandal, you lose lot of energy with fast long manodharma pattern just before main and the main will be cannibalized for lack of energy. In short fast filler with long swaras is a T20 last over 22 runs to win situation.

Suryaprakash-HNBHaskar-VijayGanesh@Maryland Sivavishnu temple on June 07th,2014
Enjoy your vasantha swati paramapurusha rollercoaster... my favourite of this musician as. a fast filler is the kannadagowlai Ora Jupu, but i dont have the recording handy.

https://youtu.be/CCf9I9qWTcQ?list=RDCCf9I9qWTcQ&t=262s

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Listen to Suryaprakash singing his own composition in rAgA gOpriyA here:

https://www.facebook.com/suryacarnatic/ ... 702525744/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

A brand new composition in thamizh in a string of ragamaligas ,Suryaprakash doubles up as vaggeyakkara and vidwan.

RAm RAjyam BhAratham - ragamaliga - Suryaprakash

a tribute by R Suryaprakash to Maryada Purushottam Sri Rama on the eve of PrAna PratisthApana day Jan 22, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OBcU3bgd8