M.S. Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

wow... lovely.. thanks bilahari..

Arvind..

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

There are some not so frequently heard sangathis in Narmada's ragam from about 5:30... It's a very nice alapanai.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Thank you bilahari for the upload

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

It should be everybody's :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Why not? Only after bilahari, though :)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Of course! :)
Although my loyalty to my namesake ragam is questioned sometimes...

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Srinivas, I'm still searching for that gorgeous bilahari by MSG! That is my request to others in the forum--if any one has an elaborate bilahari by MSG, please do upload. I have some brilliant bilaharis by TNK, LGJ, MC, and heard a great one by VVS recently too. Only MSG is missing from that list! Bilahari is very suited for the violin.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

There is one in s priya- MSG- Narmada duet- a short one though- 5min. Search for bilahari and it is the #26 under TVG uploads
I too would like to hear an elaborate one from MSG exclusively

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

01-Sep-09

Dear Bilahari:

Can you please upload again the RTP in Bhairavi (1985) as the link has problems?. God bless you/family.

Regards

Guru

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

The link works fine for me, Guru. If you have problems in general with Mediafire, I can upload to Sendspace or Rapidshare per your preference.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Incidentally, my friend who's a western classical violinist and I were discussing spiccato (bouncing bow) recently and she said it would be highly difficult to play spiccato in the Carnatic posture, and I gave her MSG's kalyANi thAnam above and she was floored!
Last edited by bilahari on 01 Sep 2009, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

02-Sep-09

Dear Bilahari:

Thanks. Unfortunately the download is not starting at my end. Please upload via Rapidshare or Sendspace. By the way is there any elaborate Hamsadhwani available by Shri. MSG?. God blesss you.

Regards

Guru

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

chetants

Post by chetants »

balakk, Thanks for the link, truly scintillating stuff! If one listens to MSG's Kumudakriya and Subhapanthuvarali, you can find very similar opening movements. Just my opinion and I am a mere rasika :-)

shanks

Post by shanks »

Here is a link to a fabulous Nalinakanti from his tour of USA/Canada in the 70s. Tiruchi Sankaran is on the mridangam.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e71odl

Watch out for use of harmonics for about 30-45 seconds around 19:30 into the track - sounds like the hindustani flute. MSG uses harmonics extensively in his playing.

Hope you like it :)

Shankar

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shankar avl,
Excellent. Many thanks !
Thanjavooran

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

is this concert available in sangeethapriya ?

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

Sri Manjunath has uploaded a 80's Chicago concert of MSG today :

http://sangeethamshare.org/manjunath/Ca ... n_the_80s/

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Part of the concert is available, Arvind. Let me locate the link...

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

Any progress on the URL issue re. Laks1972's posting no. 207 -- Brindavanasaaranga RTP? Now THAT would be a real treat ..... !

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Dear Shankar ji ,

Are you sure that this nalinakAnti is from the US tour ? I have a feeling that this is an AIR broadcast national programme sometime in the late sixties.

Arvind.

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

srutishree wrote:Any progress on the URL issue re. Laks1972's posting no. 207 -- Brindavanasaaranga RTP? Now THAT would be a real treat ..... !
Of course it is a treat, unfortunately ,knowing what copyright means, I can't falsely certify that it is not copyrighted. As per legal definition, "Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete and fixed in a medium"

Anything created by any artist irrespective of whether it has been released commercially or not , irrespectve of whether it was performed in a ticketed concert or no, irrespective of whether the artist received remuneration or not , is copyrighted. This includes EVERY sound track that has been uploaded by every one in this forum without the approval of the concerned artist.

If this forum rewords the requirement as "Only non-commercial recordings to be uploaded" , then I will be able to upload the recording

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

laks1972 wrote: Anything created by any artist irrespective of whether it has been released commercially or not , irrespectve of whether it was performed in a ticketed concert or no, irrespective of whether the artist received remuneration or not , is copyrighted. This includes EVERY sound track that has been uploaded by every one in this forum without the approval of the concerned artist.
You are mostly correct. A few minor points:
  1. Copyright expires at some time. Typically, it is 70-90 years after the death of the creator of the work. In the case of works with multiple creators (as a CM concert) you have to start the clock after the last creator dies. Copyright laws are mostly standardized across countries, but do vary in some respects.
  2. If you have the approval of the concerned artists, you may share it, but the copyright still belongs to the artists. Remember, the composers of any works hold copyright as well, and one must obtain a license from them in addition to the artists.
  3. Copyright may be formally given up by the creator, but this rarely happens, and I wouldn't recommend it. A Creative Commons license is a good option.
  4. The principle of fair use exempts some copying but whole tracks or concerts are generally not covered by this exemption.
laks1972 wrote: If this forum rewords the requirement as "Only non-commercial recordings to be uploaded" , then I will be able to upload the recording
I don't know about that. Copyright law still applies regardless of forum rules.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Semmu86 wrote:Dear Shankar ji ,
Are you sure that this nalinakAnti is from the US tour ? I have a feeling that this is an AIR broadcast national programme sometime in the late sixties.
Arvind.
The concert was at Montreal Canada. I did not include a 15 minute tani of Sankaran in this track. He follows this up with sadamadim and then an excellent RTP in shanmukapriya

Shankar

PS: This was my firs t full length live concert from a gentleman 20+ years ago who in turn got it from the man who recorded that concert

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

can you please share that thani of sankaran sir if that is shareable ??

Thanks a lot .

Arvind..

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

Nice points, in fact I have written about all of what you mentioned to the Admin in my private conversations with him.
gn.sn42 wrote: Copyright expires at some time. Typically, it is 70-90 years after the death of the creator of the work. In the case of works with multiple creators (as a CM concert) you have to start the clock after the last creator dies.
All of the clips uploaded here that of either living artists or that of those who died within 70-90 years from today
gn.sn42 wrote: If you have the approval of the concerned artists, you may share it, but the copyright still belongs to the artists. Remember, the composers of any works hold copyright as well, and one must obtain a license from them in addition to the artists
True, however barring a few such as Sri Nageswaran, I dont think anyone is getting artist's approval prior to uploading. I did not want to follow their approach.
gn.sn42 wrote: The principle of fair use exempts some copying but whole tracks or concerts are generally not covered by this exemption.
That is the reason I did not want to upload the full track . As per fair use policy, only 5% or so can be uploaded for "review" purpose.

I am happy to upload 5% of Brindavana Saranga RTP, if that wil serve anyone's purpose
gn.sn42 wrote:
laks1972 wrote: If this forum rewords the requirement as "Only non-commercial recordings to be uploaded" , then I will be able to upload the recording
.......Copyright law still applies regardless of forum rules.
Of course, just the forum rules will change about what can be uploaded.

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

Hi Laks1972,

Is it possible to load the Brindavanasaaranga on to Sangeethapriya ... just thinking out of the box.

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

I dont think if that will help much as I can not share the sangeethapriya link in this form, same way as I can not share mediafire/sendspace link of that track here

if Admin can confirm that the link wont be deleted, then I can look at that approach

Here is a sample for 2 mins as per fair use policy:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vwlkju
Last edited by laks1972 on 16 Sep 2009, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Lovely, Laks1972...

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

Thanks for the 2 min clip, Laks1972. It is heavenly, but what else do we expect from MSG?

The supporting violin seems to intrude needlessly, but that is a minor irritation.

Maybe we should start doing "tapasya" to access the rest of the RTP .... !

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

MSG - UKS
RTP - SaNmugapriya

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8wh2lh
Last edited by bilahari on 25 Sep 2009, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

I was browsing a copy of Sri N Rajagopalan's "Another Garland of Music", and there was (quite disappointingly) no mention of Sri MSG, though other contemporaries have been covered in detail. Has anyone noticed this ?

BTW, many thanks Bilahari for the Shanmukhapriya RTP. Should make for exhilarating listening.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Thanks bilahari!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 25 Sep 2009, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

srinivasrgvn wrote:An excellent concert of MSG has been uploaded by Sri Hariharan Vaithianathan in his blog:

==URL Removed by moderator==
This is a commercial recording. Pasting links from other sites may bring copyright infringements to this site too.
Revealing the blog owners name in this site does not seem appropriate too.
Last edited by musicfan_4201 on 25 Sep 2009, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

mvnprasad

Post by mvnprasad »

Sri MSG in short is a boon to this earth. His music is so pure, classical, so much of aesthetic & beauty sense - In my opinion, this world ever had, or ever will produce one more violinist like him. "na-bhootho, na-bhavishyathi" ...

I feel elated, blessed & had a 'purva-janma-sukrutham' to have born in a time when I can listen to MSG's music and also see & listen to him in person and seek his blessings.

I have made & met several friends by just writing about MSG over internet a couple of times (shankar krish, mohan, subramaniam, anand, jayaram and many more in this discussion already). I wish I had more time than what I had so far to write into this forum. I hope to upload some concerts I have in my private collection to this site soon - some of them I alreday shared with friends I mentioned above.

His sookshma sruthi, impeccable laya, perfection of bowing & fingering which prove "nothing-is-impossible" to play on violin, ragam, tanam, item rendition, svaram, neraval are just top notch - out of this world. Not only carnatic style, but Hindustani, and even Western (I heard him play several "impossible" western notes).

Personally, being a performing violinist myself, (I am a disciple of guru Sri "Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma" (msakella) who wrote in this thread many times) - Ever since my first month of learning violin under my guru (1985), I have been listening to MSG and I think words cant describe what happiness his music brought for me in this life. If my ears could speak & express they could tell a lot about MSG.

Of particular mention is his rendition of Varnas. As my Guruji mentioned earlier, he has several different ways of rendering varnas. In "my" opinion, he exemplifies how "taana varnas" are to be rendered.

I still remember my childhood days (in warangal) I used to scan radio stations with a small transistor each night back and forth "hoping and praying" to get any station broadcasting his music - and by the qualities of his music as I wrote above, I could pinpoint if it was MSG or not by just listening 3 sec, just as I was searching various frequencies.

He is always in my thoughts throughout the day - God bestow him a very long happy life and a lot of his music to us.

mvnprasad

Post by mvnprasad »

Suji Ram wrote:
sbala wrote:I've been listening to MSG's Bhavanutha for the last 2 days and it's almost like entering a new world of music.
I once heard it for 2 weeks... :cool:
the alapana preceeding is in Bhoop and the ending kalpana swaras with hindustani style is also amazing.

Oh his Nattakurinji(varnam) is something!. Would like to hear a detailed piece in nattakurinji. Does anyone have it.
There is a Nattakuranji RTP by GNB with MSG. I heard that this is one of the concerts which MSG himself stated as "one of the best". I think this one was at Shanmukhananda hall.

The ragam and the tanam were just superb.

The pallavi was "Koniyaada Tharama" . Incidentally, (in telugu language) it means "Is it possible to praise you ..." - (you have to be above a person's level to praise - isnt it?) - probably GNB was saying to MSG - "Koniyaada tharama" and MSG replying back to him "Koniyaada Tharama"... Both "diggajas" in CM.

I will find the concert and post it if it is not already available in this forum.

balakk

Post by balakk »

laks1972 wrote:Sri Manjunath has uploaded a 80's Chicago concert of MSG today :

http://sangeethamshare.org/manjunath/Ca ... n_the_80s/
What a super concert. The Lathangi and Arabhi pieces are incredibly tasty!
Great sound quality too, for a 80s recording.
Sangeethapriya is indeed a treasure trove; I hope wise men are commanding that ship and take steps to preserve it.

cienu

Post by cienu »

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I enjoyed reading Sri MSG's reminiscence about his childhood. Thanks for the link, cienu sir.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Me too. I had occasion to attend rehearsals with a very-small-girl friend of mine and her teacher, at that house recently. I am amazed and delighted to know it has been the family house for so long, maybe always.

It seemed to me very natural to live one's life in the same house, but, unfortunately was disillusioned of that at age fifteen.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Yes - I was surprised to learn he's been living in the same house since childhood!

rajeshnat

Re: M S Gopalkrishnan

Post by rajeshnat »

Very good writeup about Dr narmada. During last year's concert where Aishu played at nageshwaran's house , Dr narmada was very down to earth and unassuming vidushi.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/10/22/stor ... 900200.htm

I am particularly interested in knowing about "one-finger playing " that MSG has created.

balakk

Post by balakk »

Interesting violin she's holding there .. is the elongated end functional or merely an adornment?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

My guess is that it is very functional, and must have been designed by/for her to accommodate holding the instrument and her chosen posture.