Post by balakk »

Sam Swaminathan

Re: M S Gopalkrishnan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Balakk....Thank you so much....extremely grateful. Regards

srutishree91

Sri M S Gopalkrishnan's 80th

Post by srutishree91 »

Sri MSG completes 80 in June 2011. Should we forumites arrange some sort of celebration? If there is a formal "sathabhishekham", I would love to attend.

Sam Swaminathan

Brilliant Idea...I fully support this. Regards

Sam Swaminathan

Any further news or developments about Sri MSG's 80th birthday celeberations?

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

SATHABHISEKAM FUNCTION OF SRI M.S.GOPALAKRISHNAN.

Dear RASIKAS,

I have received the invitation for the Sathabhishekam function of Sri M.S.Gopalakrishnan today.

Sathabishekam function of Sri M.S.Gopalakrishnan is to be conducted on 28th May, 2011 on Saturday with the religious function at the Sri Thyagaraja Sangeetha Samajam, Thyagarajapuram. Mylopore, Chennai – 600 004 On his birthday Star[Nakchatram].

On 10th June, 2011, a reception is arranged at the New Woodlands Hotel at Dr. Radhakrishnan Road, Mylopore, Chennai – 600 004, the English birthday of Sri M.S.Gopalakrishnan, at 6.30 PM.

Violin Deut concert of Sri Ganesh and Kumaresh and Party is arranged during the reception followed by Dinner at 7.00 PM.

S.NAGESWARAN.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MSG- MLV , are there any recordings and photos available. An excellent writeup
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2147171.ece

Sam Swaminathan

What a man ! What an artist! May God give him good health and allow us to enjoy his music for many many more years.

balakk

Post by balakk »

Here's a folksy rendition of Manavyalakinchara along with his father, no less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823uFFoaLGc

cpblog

Saluting Vidwan M S Gopalkrishnan - Padma Bhushan

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

Welcome to Vintage Parur MSG from a 1971 classic played inside the home of "Parvathi", Mysore
during the Gowri-Ganesha festival time.

He is in excellent company with Vidwans Palghat Raghu and Madurai Somu.

We are posting here offering our salutations on his being honored with the nation's Padma Bhushan.

Welcome to http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Regards,

CPBlog Team

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cpblog
Lovely kalyani , it is so different then the standard fare kalyAni, somu gives an uniqueness and MSG returns are truly wonderful, especially in the swaras. Also how beautifully MSG plays along with somu in nagumOmu , bit very different sangathis than most of the concerts where nagumOmu - Abheri is featured.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

rajeshnat -

Fully subscribe to what you have said here.
We are but only thankful that we were in an era that has witnessed their great performances! :)

Regards,

CPBlog

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

MSG A great artisit!! A beautiful rendition of sri valli devasenapathe in natabhairavi by DKJ with MSG and VR accompaniment is top class specially in the swaras section.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q47dnypbfw8plmd

Sam Swaminathan

Hi Teamcpblog

There is no player available for this concert of Sri Madurai Somu/MSG/PR...in its place a white strip appears. Can you please clarify?

Regards

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

To Sam Swaminathan - Are you OK now?

If not please send email to cpblog2009@gmail.com

Thanks,

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I see the player on my screen (Chrome)

Sam Swaminathan

cpblogteam....thank you so much for fixing the player. Kind regards

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Shanks, Am reading this after nearly six years of your posting.

I attended an MSG PMI concert in Shastri Hall around 1970. It was extremely well attended, and almost all students of Mani Iyer and other famous mridangam vidwans were present. Sri TVG was seated close to me. I remember Mani Iyer asking UKS to tune the (second) mridangam by taking it outside the hall. UKS took it to the staircase and tuned it.

I remember MSG playing in an unusually chaste Carnatic style. I remember the concert as a great success. If I remember correctly, Shankarabharana was one of the main items. Of course MSG played his signature Hamsanandi piece and also if I remember right a piece in Sindhu Bhairavi.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

A lovely shubhapantuvarALi from MSG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va-FVPEV1ss

The shruti shuddam and tonal purity are truly inspiring!

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article in today's "The Hindu" on the maestro.
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/article2998243.ece

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Beautiful article

Sam Swaminathan

May the Lord give Sri MSG Sir many many years of good health so that he can continue to guide youngsters in this great art! I offer my saashtaanga namaskarams to him.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Isai charal-Ms Gopalakrishnan-Dr. Narmadha-Violin Duit-partI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JneTeGicb8s

Isai charal-Ms Gopalakrishnan-Dr. Narmadha-Violin Duit-Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA-aGpard3w

akriti53

Post by akriti53 »

Dear All,

I am new to this wonderful forum. I have been extremely lucky to be associated with our dear MSG sir since 1983 when I met him first in his house at Chennai. I have also been very lucky to have been given the opportunity to record his both Carnatic and Hindustani music for Times music in the year 2000. At the outset I want to let all of you know that I am only listener and I have not learned any music at all. My first experience of MSG's music was an AIR National program accompanied by Shri Vellore Ramabhdran. He had played compositions in Chakravaham, Hindolam , Kalyani and Hindustani Bhairavi. We had recorded this concert in a old Grundig spool player. It is unfortunate that I have lost the recordings due to unavoidable circumstances. I must have heard this recording at least a hundred times. As I was in Delhi at that time, I had made a lot of Hindustani AIR artistes to listen to this recording. I have never come across any body who was not moved by his Kalyani and who was not totally amazed at his Hindustani Bhairavi alapana. I am talking about renowned artistes who are held in great esteem there; Pt Anant Lal ( Shenai and Sangeet Sangeet Natak academy awardee), Munir Khan saheb( Sarangi artiste who was a disciple of Ustad Amir Khan saheb, Pt Gopal Misra ( Vichitra Veena), Pt Satya Dev Pawar ( Violinist )Pramod Shanker ( Sarod, Disciple of Ustad Amjad Lai Khan) and a host of others. They were amazed at his pin point accuracy and depth of his shruthi and impact of his violin technique. In his Bharavi , there were movements that reminded me of great Afghan mountains and I honestly do not know why. Once I had made a foreigner from US listen to this recording. He is a western music enthusiast. The moment he started listening to Kalyani alapana, he told me that it is like he is hearing a vocal music. This particular person has heard great violinists like, Mishca Elman, Nathan Milestien , David Oistrakh , Fritz Kreisler , Jascha Heifitz etc. He was the one who told me that the cellist Pablo Cassals is a great conductor. He informed me that Pablo Cassals used a technique that made his fingers strike the strings in such a way that made the notes to spring from the instrument and each note felt alive. He told me that he had the same feeling when he heard the violin of MSG sir.

I will keep posting my experience with MSG sir

With warm regards

CRama

Post by CRama »

akriti53 Welcome to the forum. Pl post your experiences with MSG sir. We will be too happy to hear about that.

akriti53

Post by akriti53 »

Dear CRama

Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

One incident that come to my mind. I was traveling in a MSRTC bus from Sholapur to Kholapur during my travels in Maharashtra for audits during Dec 1980. The bus was crowded and I had to stand a long way . As I was standing I noticed a photo of our MSG sir in the local Marathi news paper which one of the passenger was reading. I immediately requested the seated passenger to show that page to me . He was not very impressed with my enthusiasm and told me curtly that he will give when he gets down from the bus. I waited patiently and I could only get a glimpse of MSG sir's photo when he flipped pages. Some how I controlled my urge and waited patiently. After about two hours , he got down and he handed that paper to me. This photo was a part of a review of a concert he played in Sholapur written in Marathi. I later got the translation of the same. I was honestly moved that he was so well received in Maharashtra. The reviewer presented a very good review of the Hindustani concert. Many times I have come across people ( artistes including )simply dismiss his Hindustani music stating that he is not well received in the North stating that he does not understand idiom of their music. I honestly felt nice and a good review of his Hindustani Music from a HM critic is some thing to be savored. I have heard him at Lucknow where the audience was in rapt attention. He is always called to perform in Gwalior 'gharana' sangeet samorohs' held in Gwalior, Delhi and other places. One of well known present day Tabla player Akram Khan told me that he played with MSG at Allahabad music festival which is a very prestigious venue. Akram told me that he, as a very staunch HM follower, really appreciated MSG sir's presentation and many musicians present in the concert were very moved .

More later.

With warm regards

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?y86treqes8sl7

vintage AIR Sammelan Concert

Sam Swaminathan

Thanks a lot Varsha for the recording and akriti53 for your memories with Sri MSG sir. Please continue sharing if you have some more recording and ofcourse, the anecdotes.

One incident about MSG Sir that I want to share....I was travelling from Singapore to Bombay. A young man sitting next to me and he was glued to his ipad with ear pieces on. About an hour to go before we reached Mumbai, he turned to me and asked if I am a south indian and whether I liked indian music. I replied in the affirmative. He said to me " I have some thing extremely devine, would you like to listen and tell me who could it be (meaning the artist). He turned over one side of the ear plug which I promptly put into my ear. And lo and behold, there was MSG Sir, playing Purya Dhanashri, in its most prestine form ! The young man asked me if I knew the artist. I replied, yes, indeed, MSG sir was my maanasiga guru. It turned out that the young man was learning violin in Bombay, worked in Singapore and while his teacher was some learned guru in Mumbai, his maanasiga guru was Smt N Rajam! Two diamond studded crowns from south india for the hindutani music!

eesha

Post by eesha »

varsha wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?y86treqes8sl7

vintage AIR Sammelan Concert
Thanks for that, do you have the rest of the concert ??

varsha

Post by varsha »

last track of the program - a bhajan - added to the same mediafire folder . cheers.

akriti53

Post by akriti53 »

Dear all,

Thanks Sam Swaminathan. It is always a great feeling to receive any information on our MSG sir and that too from an unexpected source. One night I was listening to a Natya sangeet piece played by MSG sir in Chalisgaon in Maharashtra in my room on the first floor. ( I had gone for an audit to the NTC mills there) The night was peaceful and I was enjoying the radio concert. As there was some radio noise , I must have increased the volume to hear clearly. Suddenly one of the junior clerk who deals with cotton waste called my name and asked who is singing the natya sangeet. I told him that it is not vocal and it is being played on the violin. He called one or two of his friends to recognize which natya sangeet is being played and thoroughly enjoyed the piece . He did not know who was playing and simply said that it evoked fond memories of his experience with nataya sangeet which due to circumstances, he could not pursue. I was honestly elated to see such a wonderful expressions on their faces after listening to our MSG sir.

In this same town, I had a rather heart breaking experience. Generally music is much appreciated in Maharashtra . Wherever you go, be it a village or a small town, one will come across traditional abhangs being sung with a lot of fervor. Many has taken to classical music and are keen listeners. I had even come across aged people who come a long way ( even as far from Kanpur) to listen to concerts in music festival such as Sawai Ghandarv festival at Pune. On my first day at Chalisgaon, I was a bit unwell and I was taken to a doctor called Doctor Dathe. He is just a dispenser of medicine and was not a certified doctor. His place was just a small room and as I was leaving his room I noticed a violin hanging from a hook . I immediately turned and asked him whether he plays violin. He asked me a return question as to whether I am interested in music. When I told him that I am very much interested in music, he became very excited and asked other persons to wait and went to another room and put on the shruthi box and started playing the violin much to the amusement of his waiting patients. He played a superb Megh alaap in the instrumental style. I was really moved to learn that he is disciple of Gajanan Bua Joshi ( Both vocalist and violinist). He has learnt directly from Gajanan bua for many years and as he could not get any concerts for a living , he had resort to being a dispenser of medicine to the locals. I then invited him to play at the NTC mills hoping some money could be given to him. from the fund available for such purposes. He came and played but there was no audience except myself and as if that is not pathetic, I later learnt that he was paid only Rs 100 for all the effort. I felt very bad that such a musician is not recognized and respected and he is treated as some unwanted guest. He played for me for more than 3 hours. He played Jinjhoti, Kedar, Malhar and Bhairavi. His technique was good and his music was very chaste and fulfilling. He had a very high regard for MSG sir whom he had heard many times in the AIR programs.

With warm regards,

cameo

Post by cameo »

happened to listen to this yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yS9BCWFYbw

and went on listening for about 100 times by now...!!

venkatakailasam

INS-MSG 016-Padma Bushan MS Gopalakrishnan-rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-bEgaDA.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Fo4f8bnK0

venkatakailasam

Parur brothers-MSG-MSA-Violin duet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYqSet41bxQ

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

An AIR recording of MSG-Narmadha featuring a rItigowLa, sowrASTRam, vijayaSri, rudrapriya, and sahAna:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/vignesh/ ... 0/002-MSG/

kanchi perivaa

Post by kanchi perivaa »

It is really difficult to come across a violinist or even a musician who has so beautifully imbibed the two different traditions of music, carnatic and hindustani, and presented them without one getting in the way of the other. Most Carnatic musicians trying their hand at hindustani bring a carnatic "saayal" to it, and vice versa!

Among the violin trimurthis, I have greatly enjoyed Shri. MSG's dexterity over the instrument and Shri. TNK's powerful bowing and sound. The two have an unmatchable sound.
Last edited by kanchi perivaa on 28 Mar 2013, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

---
Last edited by srikant1987 on 28 Mar 2013, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

kanchi perivaa

Post by kanchi perivaa »

Pardon my words, I did mean to write "have"! Thank you srikant1987.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

kanchi perivaa,

Hello Sir,

Very nice tributes to MSG Sir.Indeed a great personality conquering both Hindustani and carnatic forms.
But I could not understand your reference to TNK in the context.In case You mention TNK,then LGJ should find a place too.

kanchi perivaa

Post by kanchi perivaa »

dear hnbhagavan,
my reference to Shri. TNK here is out of my humble appreciation for the tonal quality produced by a violinist. What I wanted to say earlier was, along with Shri. MSG's tonal quality, another violinist that I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to is Shri. TNK, in this aspect.
Thank you.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Hello kanchi perivaa,
Sir,

Thanks for your reply.Still my doubt remains unanswered.In the history of Violin in carnatic music,the contributions of MS Gopalakrishnan,Lalgudi G Jayaraman and TN Krishnan is widely recognize and referred as violin trinty.
Each have individual styles and most of the violinists today follow one of the 3 styles.My question to you more clearly is why you have not mentioned Lalgudi sir in your
posting?
When you are paying tributes to MSG,if you have not referred to other violinists,I would not have responded.Since you made reference to TN Krishnan,I have a doubt that you are not recognizing the Lalgudi Bani.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

why you have not mentioned...
Where would one stop? Why should one stop at three?

It is not obligatory in any way to mention all three of these names when one or two are mentioned. With no disrespect whatsoever to the mentioned or the unmentioned, why should a person be browbeaten to mention all three, or have demands made to know why they did not. What is the use of that? He is free to mention or not to mention. Let him be.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear nick,

Of course,there are many more great names.One is at liberty to mention or not.I only pointed out the three major schools in Violin which has dominated for decades.
I have nothing further to say and will not write further on the topic.

kapali

Post by kapali »

We should of course include Chowdiah and his bani - In the 40's and 50's his name was synonymous with the violin!

cacm

Post by cacm »

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF FOUR OCCASIONS TO REMEMBER M.S.G.
I have carefully listened & read the following four occasions meant to commemorate the GENIUS & MEMORY OF M.S.G.:
1) THE MEMORIAL TRIBUTE CONCERT BY Dr.M.Narmadha(M.S.G'S CHIEF DISCIPLE & DAUGHTER) at Chromepet on the 10th day- I don't know how she did it- but as one who has been listening to him from 1950- she has managed to CAPTURE the technique & spirit of M.S.G. in an unbelievable fashion & may have paid the ULTIMATE TRIBUTE TO M.S.G. NOT ONLY WAS EVERY ITEM SUPERB but her choice of KUMADAKRIYA brought out what M.S.G. was ALL ABOUT! UNBELIEVABLY WELL PLAYED & M.S.G. would have been happy & proud of his student.
2)The "KATRINILAE VARUM GEETHAM" PROGRAM on Dhoordarshan on M.S.G. was again superb due to M.S.G.himself and
Dr.M.Narmadha & gave insights& knowledge of why the Parur school is a MAJOR SCHOOL. The moderator(SRI.Kannan(?) was great too!
3) The condolence meeting at Raghasudha Hall with all the musical giants starting with TNK gave colleagues & experts regards & whys of M.S.G'S GENIUS.
4) The SRUTHI issue & esp. the two masterly articles by Dr.N.Ramanathan(himself a violinist & professor) & Dr.M.Narmadha were SUPERB. Dr.M.N'S article was very moving while providing expert details about M.S.G. a difficult task
I wish to congragulate Dr. M.Narmadha for PROPERLY educating & celebrating the man & genius M.S.G. In these days while most of the Disciples USE the names of their Gurus mostly to gain ADVANTAGE while crassly violating or wrongly claiming great
adherence etc it is VERY REFRESHING to find an exception in Dr.M.Narmadha. I wish her all the best in her efforts to propagate the Parur Tradition & REQUEST ALL THE FANS OF M.S.G. to encourage as well as support Dr.M.Narmadha in her efforts. THIS IS THE BEST TRIBUTE TO M.S.G. WE CAN PAY. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

kapali wrote:We should of course include Chowdiah and his bani - In the 40's and 50's his name was synonymous with the violin!
Actually greats like MMI & GNB even well after the fifties considered SRI.Chowdiah to be an all time great & insisted on having him as accompanist. The '63 M.A.Concert of M.M.I.- T.C.- V.R.-A.R. is in my opinion is certainly one of the BESTMMI CONCERTS & in my opinion ONE of the ALL TIME great concerts in no small measure to T.C. who brought out the best in the main artist as well as the other accompanists. CERTAINLY ONE OF A KIND GENIUS. VKV

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I have read on a Hindu newspaper article that Sri. MSG used a 400 year old (!!) violin made by Giovanni Paolo Maggini -- which would make it a hundred years older than even the Stradivarius and Guarnerius violins. How did he preserve his instruments? Can some tell me what strings he used during his career?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Some Rasika wanted to listen to MSG's Bhavanuta:

Here is the link:

http://play.raaga.com/marathi/song/albu ... tha-149670

venkatakailasam

Concert 216-Hindustani Ragas- Shri. MS Gopala Krishnan(2.57hrs)
Courtesy : HMG Murthy
Listen at:
http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/06 ... y-vii.html
Concert details:
01-PuriyaDhanashri 57.52Mts
02-Tumri 22.12mts
03-Yaman 64mts
04-Malkauns 33mts

S.NAGESWARAN

NADAYOGI LATE SRI M.S.G'S BIRTHDAY

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

On this day of the birthday of late Sri MSG, I am giving the drop box links of MSG's few audio clippings of the master.
The presentations of the audios were the imaginations of Sri MSG WHICH ARE VERY UNIQUE.
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9luyvvmuna9w ... I.mp3?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4rtlarnc8gg1 ... N.mp3?dl=0
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kgr1r5kctbiy ... M.mp3?dl=0
4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayj7h271av9v4 ... A.mp3?dl=0
5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/llsuuzksqj7qd ... I.mp3?dl=0
6. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4lto9jqt8c37 ... A.mp3?dl=0
7. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8samfyhqrcay0 ... G.mp3?dl=0
Enjoy the music.
S.NAGESWARAN.