Kamalakar Rao

Carnatic Musicians
raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Hi Folks !!!

I think we need to start a group for Shri V. Kamalakar Rao, the senior Mridangam vidwan from Andhra. A true team player, has got immense control over the drum which he never exposes on the platform unwantedly. Would welcome all to post their messages. Thanks.
Last edited by raghavt on 10 Jan 2009, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Great vidwan. I had the opportunity to meet him at R K Srikantan trust felicitation in 2000 when Sri Srikantan Felicitated Vidwan Kamalakara Rao for mridangam, along with Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam for vocal, Shri M J Srinivasa Iyengar for Veena, and others... That was the last time I heard Shri MJ Srinivasa Iyengar's veena concert accompanied by Shri Kamalakara Rao. I wish I had the recording.

However the following is a link to a concert held in 1973 at Shri Bidaram Krishnappa Prasanna Seetha Rama Mandira in Mysore. Artists are:
Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam - vocal
Chalukudi Narayanaswamy - violin
Shri Kamakara Rao - Mridangam
H. P. Ramachar - Kanjira

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/mvr/cnkrhpr73/

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Heard him accompany TMK at Bharath Kalachar this season and he was just fantastic. He has such a wonderful array of strokes and accompanied very, very appropriately. TMK was appreciating his play through and through. Apparently he's a senior disciple of PMI.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

bilahari wrote:Apparently he's a senior disciple of PMI.
Yes, he is one of the senior most disciples of Palakkad Mani Iyer. We should say, PMI polished his already accomplished skills. Unfortunatly I've not got a chance to see him perform live. But, I've seen him on TV and also heared him on many cassettes and CDs. The most noted ones would be one with L Subramaniam and Amjad Ali Khan. The Tisram that he played in the thani was wonderful.

Also, another DVD with Dr. Balamurallikrishna, in which he has played marvellously for Mysore Vasudevachar's Devadi Deva.
Last edited by raghavt on 02 Sep 2009, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

message edited out since the poster has withdrawn his comments

visaalam

Post by visaalam »

message edited out since the poster has withdrawn his comments

[edited]

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I don't mean to speak for coolkarni Sir, but I would respond that we are all entitled to our own opinions.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

[edited]

Hi... I don't even know the back ground of Coolji. And I am in my own capacity agreeing to his comments. Who am I to comment on Sri YVR as a student of percussion...? I'm noone. But as a Rasika, I've full right to do so and thats what I did..

Let us not join issues like this and lets have a healthy discussion... Thanks.
Last edited by raghavt on 16 Jan 2009, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

kam

Post by kam »

Hello all I am anew member of this form.I am agreat fan of Sri V.Kamalakarrao sir.I have seen him many times playing the concerts.His style is unique.As he is a disciple of mridangam wizard Palghat Mani Iyer every one can enjoy his style.

kam

Post by kam »

A very good news to you all Recenly I have Seen a website dedicated to Sri V.Kamalakar Rao.It is very nice.I think it has been created on occasion of his birthday celebration.It contains around 15 concerts of kamalakarrao and also a Layavinyasam of him that can be downloaded.It also contains many videos of him.All of you can also see that website.

The link is : www.kamalakarraov.weebly.com

chetants

Post by chetants »

Kam, thanks for the website. I heard Sri KR's playing for Sri Alathur Srinivasa Iyer's Karuvelpuniku(Saint Thyagaraja's rarely heard Kalyani krithi) as well as his thani for which he gets whole-hearted appreciation from ASI. IMHO, only few can anticipate and provide such dexterous accompaniment to ASI's sangathis stroke for stroke.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Folks !!! thanks for all info. A great Vidwan indeed.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

raghavt: Is there any thani of this Vidwan you can share with us in youtube or something?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

BTW, the TMK-Manjunath-Kamalakar Rao concert that I'd attended last year at Bharat Kalachar has been released by Charsur (Kamalakar Rao played really well in this concert). I can't find it on the website, though.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bilahari,
I heard him about twenty five years ago in the US and again once recently in India. Though I am not qualified to speak about mrudangam playing, I do enjoy listening to it. He said that he was a restaurateur but played the mrudangam too (like a sunday painter). I guess it was his modesty which made him say it that way. A gentleman...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

'sunday painter'.. nice!

'ivar sAppATTukku ThALam pODAdavar' then? ;) ( getting carried away a bit )

arasi

Post by arasi »

pATTukkut tALam pODubavar :)

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

VK RAMAN wrote:raghavt: Is there any thani of this Vidwan you can share with us in youtube or something?
No videos are available in u-tube. BTW I'm not a vivid collector of VKR sir. But I admire his style, calm and composed figure.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

arasi wrote:Bilahari,
I heard him about twenty five years ago in the US and again once recently in India. Though I am not qualified to speak about mrudangam playing, I do enjoy listening to it. He said that he was a restaurateur but played the mrudangam too (like a sunday painter). I guess it was his modesty which made him say it that way. A gentleman...
His father was a hotlier...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

kam

Post by kam »

coolji where does the concert is held and who is violin in the concert containing the kriti you posted in above.please give the details sir.Namasthe.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

yogeeshk

Post by yogeeshk »

coolkarni
the first link which you sent of trs at ifas 1977 is indeed accompanied by sri KR.

kam

Post by kam »

Hello all,the website dedicated to Sri V.Kamalakar Rao garu has been modified.A very beautiful concerts of Neyyattinkara Vasudevan and Dwaram Durga prasad Rao with kamalakar rao garu on mridangam has been uploaded in the website.All of the fans once download and listen.They are undoubtedly beautiful concerts.Namasthe.
Last edited by kam on 06 Jul 2009, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

kam

Post by kam »

Hello all,the website dedicated to Sri V.Kamalakar Rao garu has been modified.A mind blowing concert of Sri T.V.Sankaranarayanan with M.Chandrasekaran on violin,V.Kamalakar rao on mridangam and T.H.Vinayakaram has been uploaded in his website.It is very nice.Hope everyone will listen to it and tell their views.Thanks in advance.Namasthe.

The link is : http://kamalakarraov.weebly.com/
Last edited by kam on 02 Sep 2009, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

kam

UPLOAD OF K.V.NARAYANASWAMY CONCERT

Post by kam »

Dear rasikas,a concert of Sri K.V.Narayanaswamy accompanied by Sri Kovai Dakshinamurthy on violin and Sri V.Kamalakarrao on mridangam has been uploaded in Kamalakarrao's website on occasion of his 75th birthday.Please listen to concert tell your views.Thanks in advance.Namasthe.

The link is : http://kamalakarraov.weebly.com/downloads.html

mahavishnu

Re: Kamalakar Rao

Post by mahavishnu »

Kam: Thank you for the link. The website is a treasure trove of wonderful concerts spanning several decades. I am especially intrigued by a wonderful TNS concert with MSN Murthy on violin and Patri Satish Kumar accompanying him on Kanjira!

Sincere congratulations to the distinguished vidwan on his 75th birthday!

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

Sri Yogeesh is Sri Kamalakara Rao's son and student!!

http://www.4shared.com/audio/EeGqWpy2/4 ... _-_Ka.html

This must be from the Alattur recording mentioned above!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The write up starts as though it is about kamalakar Rao , then it dovetails more about PMI .mahavidwan TRS mama's stock mrudangist kamalakar rao who is brilliant but certainly is away from limelight.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 035865.ece

varsha

Post by varsha »

mahavidwan TRS mama's stock mrudangist kamalakar rao who is brilliant but certainly is away from limelight.
Depends on which lamp post one is looking under, I guess. :D
There is more to their relationship than being a stock accompanist.As this Vidwan tearfully narrated the stories of how they travelled to nooks and corners of Andhra(on the evening dedicated to TRS at Arkays.(sometimes standing, in buses)
I would love to have a career like his in my next janma.Day long at the cash counter in the hotel, tapping fingers for practice all day long and playing for great Vidwans in the evening for the love of it. :lol:
More of him here.
http://kamalakarraov.weebly.com/

And some more photos here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afyzmpuq0lcqc ... e.wmv?dl=0
Last edited by varsha on 28 Mar 2015, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

The Article is not up to date. He was honoured at CLEVELAND ARADHANA A FEW YEARS BACK ALSO AS USUAL.....VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Not much is known about this great artist kamalakar rao. His legacy in playing for musicians like TRS, nedanuri and voleti are brilliant. Write up of his lecdem on his glorious tanjavur school of mrudangam
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 621796.ece

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A solo by him : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcbak3qLh8

He definitely inherited that PMI sound!