T.M.Krishna

Carnatic Musicians
fduddy

Re: T.M.KRISHNA, a singer with great talent, but probably mi

Post by fduddy »

Idiotic questions and even more idiotic replies.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I could not resist jumping in on the subject of TMK's attitude towards audience. While I essentially grew up in the ARI-CHEMBAI-MUSIRI--MAHARAJPURAM-SSI-GNB-MMI-ALATHUR-MSS_DKP-MLV era and I have been privy to several off-stage conversations (ranging from downright scatological--half of which I could hardly fathom during those growing years to very weighty discussions on concert patterns,composers, and lineages etc with the understandably wide range of opinions on the discussions amongst the participants--most of which were impromptu and off-the-cuff---- the ONE topic on which there was near unanimity amongst these stalwarts was THEIR RESPECT FOR THE AUDIENCE---not some token lip-service respect for the audience but a genuine one. An anecdote I heard from my father concerning ARI and SSI.

ARI was a very friendly person always respectful of whoever he was talking to irrespective of the person's age-it seems whenever a stranger is introduced to him by one of the people around him and the stranger tries to "jog" ARI's memory with some obscure meeting that he had with ARI eons ago , ARI will diplomatically nod in approval saying the basic things(that will not land him in trouble with the visitor!) that will make the visitor happy. Once on an occasion when SSI and ARI were meeting a visitor intruded and ARI pretended he knew him from Adam and let the visitor go away pleased and very happy. After the visitor had left, SSI chided ARI for his "fawning demeanour before strangers and that it does not behove a senior artiste like him to appear so obsequious and that it sets a bad precedent for younger artistes from whom the public will expect the same degree of bonhomie and the latter may not be inclined to reciprocate under the pretext of keeping 'their space" . ARI I believe replied in Tamil as follows:

Seenu,---- Namma Kitte Irukkirudu(music)Avanukku Thevai Illlai --Anal Avan Kitte Irukkirudu(Money) Namakku Thevai(Translation: what we(artistes have--i.e, music, the visitor does not need to live but what he has(money) we need.

Now forumites should view this comment in proper perspective not interpret it as crass meretriciousness or mendicity--it definitely underscores the recognition by a leading artiste that the audience(of which the visitor was a part) is vital for the promotion of art in the modern age sans the princely patronage of erstwhile eras.

back to TMK's views about the audience, I have seen his indifference and at times down right insulting remarks to the audience--about 2/3 years back during the December season in MA, towards the tail end of the concert he was singing a ragamalika and one of the ragas was not too familiar to one member of the audience who got up to ask what the raga was to which TMK asked apparently in jest(in his opinion)--"You want to know this raga only -- So that means you could identify the previous ragas"--he may not have intended to "show" the rasika up but the rasika definitely felt humiliated.

I do not want to take away his talent and concerts-popularity but in my opinion he could be more respectful if not deferential towards the audience. The interview piece does seem to echo his indifference if not disdain for the audience.
Admittedly one cannot take a particular comment out of context and pillory an artist for what he/she may not have intended.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Definitely TMK should have just answered the question respectfully and not go extra-curricular on the rasika like that. iLakkAram is a characteristic of many haughty CM musicians and he seems to have gotten that in plenty.

BTW, How do you even ask a question to the artist on stage? Shout out from the audience in the middle of the song?
But if I had the temerity to ask TMK such a question in the middle of a song, I hope I will have the thick skin to take such an answer :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I don't think TMK has particularly been disrespectful of audiences anywhere in these two interviews.

I'm fairly sure he's exaggerating the "audiences just happen to be there" part, but I think that many rasikas and artistes actually feel it should be that way for the musician: indeed it is a very wrong notion to have. I have come to feel that best music comes when much of the mind is actually devoted to technically producing the piDis neatly, bhAvam itself is just an occassional bonus.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If he really does not care about the audience, he won't care if the reviews and the interviews stop. If he really, really, doesn't care about the audience, he won't mind if the concert invitations stop. He can sing at home and will be happy. For a man that doesn't care about an audience, he seems to be very welcoming to the interviewers and reporters!

But this may be a superficial understanding of his statement, which, in itself, may have been a flippant comment. Surely there is a relationship between any artist and their audience in every concert? This does not mean that the artist must become what we call popularist, attracting great numbers and performing only for their oohs and aaahs, but it means that there is a feedback, seen and unseen, a loop in which artist and audience affect each other. That's the whole point, isn't it? Within the context of this loop, an artist may indeed be 100% involved and focussed on his performance.

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

once TMK was a guest speaker at Crazy Mohans video release (Q & A type which Crazy did in Vikatan) This was directed by SB Kanthan (brother of Mouli). Here Madan narrated incidents of humourous anectodes of/by musicians of the 50s and 60s and commented that there is no bonding of rasika and musician today as it existed in the olden days. TMK who had finished his felicitation suddenly sprung from his seat and made a comment after requesting Madan saying ...Naanga bayapadarom. avallam romba thairiyama iruntha...ava mela avaluke rombe self confidence..than nenaichahe theiriyama solra thunivu avaluku irunthathu engaluku illa .... ( we are afraid...unlike them who had no fear and had lots of self confidence and said what they wanted to without any fear or inhibition)...

That day I had great respect for TMK for openly admitting but this does not mean audience be taken for granted...As Nick said there has to be a rapport with the audience and only then the music will be good....if the audience does not applaud then the performer feels bad...the more the applause the more enthused the musician and hence audience presence is incidental is not right....I have seen him many times asking the audience to sit through the mangalam (most of us rasikas stand and start to leave the moment the mangalam is about to be rendered)..Thoug this is a very good gesture the remark negates it....

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I am having the exactly opposite opinion to that of Anand Sangeetham . As Madurai Mani Iyer used to say - The musician should respect the audience but the audience need not do so . Sometimes their actions may interfere with the singer in a concert - like getting up during a song in progress etc. and he should never get worked up and allow his ego to dominate.

When he tried to give all new ragas and unknown compositions in a concert in TRIPLICANE way back in 1930s, as my father used to say ,there were only 9 persons in the audience and MMI himself enjoyed the concert very much . Later on he realised after pointed out by Sri Papa Venkatramiah , and started singing Gana Ragas and the compositions expected by Rasikas . He equally enjoyed them also .

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

Check out the latest article from Hindu's "what's ailing carnatic music" series! In this article, the author takes particular issue with TMK's concert format.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 533509.ece

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I like T.M.Krishna's chowka kala style esp. when he sings Dikshitar kritis. I think many of MD'd kritis (not all) fit the chowka style and Krishna does justice to that. I am one who loves to hear the artist take the time to go through the raga ( time permitting) in depth and enjoy singing or playing that song with Bhava. When the artist brings the Bhava into the song, the audience feels that too. It is nice to hear some fast songs along with some chowka style kritis. Krishna does have a very good voice and sings very well.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Discussion On TMK's book with TMK present:
http://indiapostlive.com/carnatic-story/

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

For may years I have not taken the trouble to go to TMK's concerts. The previous time was a temple concert, maybe 18 months ago, and I was driven away by my own back pain, as I was unable to take much time sitting on the ground then due to joint problems.

Took time to widen my horizons with a concert nearby home a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I am unable to either judge or report the carnatic technicalities, but I can say that I was swept along on an evening of pure music. Perhaps the format might have been unusual or irregular; the performance was magnificent.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

No doubt about his purity of CM; he has range of voice, rich imagination and astute application. I am rather impatient when he sings in vilamba kalam one after another. Also, the abruptness of a song (he sand chakkani raja beautifully, differently too, in one concert, but it lacked the elaborate treatment I have been used to; also singing raga but no song does not yet go well with me. Any day I would like to listen to him though.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Second hand... I was unable to stay up/awake for his 5.00am SPIC MACAY performance of a few weeks ago; my wife and I headed for home a little time before it started. I wondered about how he would handle, or if he would even put up, an audience who were half asleep ---literally, half were asleep!--- but I heard that he gave a brilliant performance, taking just three pieces and filling two hours with them. I guess the video will be available, I only just now thought to look.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

SPIC MACAY performance
A report:
http://t5e.iitm.ac.in/2014/06/a-night-to-remember/
One of the most recognized Carnatic vocalists of our time, Vidwan T. M. Krishna definitely deserved a more responsive and sizeable audience than that he was left with at 5:30 in the morning, his concert having been delayed by a staggering two and a half hours. Although not scantily attended, the foyer was only about three-quarters full and half of those in attendance were too tired to be participative. As an effect, probably, his singing was more subdued than usual, but entertaining nonetheless. He began with Chakkani Raja, a Thyagaraja krithi in Karaharapriya set to Adi taala, and went on to perform about a dozen aalaps of varying complexity and grace. The concert was characterised by his usual strict adherence to an orthodox style and expansive hand gestures at most times, losing himself in the mesmerising labyrinthe of his own music. He was accompanied by Vidwan H. N. Bhaskar on the violin and Vidwan K. Arun Prakash on the mridangam.

venkatakailasam

There are a few scattered threads at General Discussions...can all be merged here?

A discussion on The Carnatic Story...

can be watched here:

http://indiapostlive.com/carnatic-story/

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Making sense here:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazi ... 180426.ece

Although a somewhat K.Balachander like ending :-)

venkatakailasam

T.M. Krishna’s “A Southern Music” was the subject of a lively discussion recently..

An article in The Hindu..

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 192951.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

extraordinary marketing
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 627527.ece

Mods
Can you just make the thread tm krishna , with more phrases it is difficult to search

Aditto

Re: T.M.Krishna

Post by Aditto »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

OMR area with a cluster of IT companies donot have access to music. One of the days I will go and see this place . The writeup of TMK concert is as usual on his music and also on his unique unique branding that always comes in writeups. But TMK is indeed presenting a serious music - which i like.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 011354.ece

I just googled to find that the writer sharada ramanathan is also a film director and was/is associated to spic macay. That experience has indeed come handy. God bless Smt sharada and her team in bringing cm to OMR.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Rajesh. That is a good description of the current day TMK concert. "No gimmicks, no frills and not your father's concert format"

btw, I was looking for any mention of how big the crowd was. I know Harimau has a bet going that TMK will be singing to empty halls in March ( of course, if it was well received, he can always call the OMR IT people as idiots and without taste ;) as he did the NRIs who were supposedly flocking to the TMK's concerts ), nonetheless I want to see if Harimau got this one right or not.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Sri.T M Krishna one of our middle aged Carnatic singer is known for his talents both as a musician and otherwise.TMK manages to be in the NEWS even during the off-season and the latest one is his advance and prior statement of NOT singing during the forth coming December 2015
Margazhi Music Festival.One feels for the thousands of TMK rasikas who will be deeply disappointed by his SUDDEN decision so early.At the same
time one cannot help feeling that TMK is trying to be flashy and tries to be the centre of attraction to the media in general.In the yester years of the golden era of Carnatic Music Messers Ariyakudi,Semmangudi GNB and the evergreen Madurai Mnai Iyer used to sing in ALL the available forums of Temples to Music Academy!But today the scenario is changed one and we now appeal to TMK to reconsider his move and sing in the festival

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From Saranagathi, house magazine of Ramasramam:

Hailing from a family of musicians, T. M. Krishna began his formal training in vocal music from B. Seetharama Sarma at the age of six. He gave his first concert at the age of twelve and in the last 24 years, has released over 40 albums, travelled widely around India and given more than 2000 concerts
around the world (including at the Kennedy Centre and the Sydney Opera House).
On the evening of 26th December, before a packed crowd in the Library Auditorium, Krishna humbly asked the audience if they minded that he give his performance from the floor itself. Permission granted, devotees helped him remove the large dais so that he could sit at eye-level with those gathered around him in order that all might feel “more at home”; all were treated to scintillating music

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

https://youtu.be/ryOWbBh-06E
Interesting lecture by TMK touching various points being hotly discussed by the forumites these days.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

TMK has posted this in FB:
After over a decade, Vikku Mama was back on the Karnatik stage yesterday. And I was privileged to share space with him. What a beautiful musician.
Ghatam & Voice.

TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1MCnn2uSMA

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Chanced upon these well-made videos of TMK from a 2016 concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzjW5a--AU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEbAgJK30Z8&t=117s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZEsJDJ9yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrDSEDeCI0

Accompanied by Akkarai, Praveen Kumar, Chandrasekara Sharma

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The Hindu review dated Jan19th,2018. TMK post dec season has sung in Kamaraj arangam , the review is from there. I guess there is no more meaty numbers than the bhariavi . But that is enough to write by The Hindu

http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 464182.ece
Last edited by rajeshnat on 19 Jan 2018, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I think the reviewer meant B.Sivaraman instead of B.Sivakumar! No editor anywhere in sight.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

The following is a quote from an article written by one Pallavi Rebbapragada in the backdrop of cancelled AAI concert in Delhi. Is this factual or is it the opinion of the author of the article?

"Krishna has expressed time and again that Carnatic music is the preserve of the upper castes, and through Christian, Islamic and Dalit insertions into the verses, he has asserted the need for social reform. He has, for instance, been critical of MS Subbulakshmi’s rejection of her own Devadasi roots for the sake of gaining the acceptance and admiration of the masses in a music genre obsessed with deities, Brahmanic rituals and the self-styled sainthood of the vaggeyakaras or the legendary composers whose experiments with ragas and talas never dared to break the social constructs."

Pallavi Rebbapragada

https://www.firstpost.com/india/songs-o ... 69931.html

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Please also refer to article of Sonal Mansingh in the same context -

https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... 8674/lite/

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Anyway, for a change from all that is not music, just listen to this bArO krishnaiyya :

https://www.facebook.com/ksbhargav.ram. ... U0MzcwNzk/

Unbelievable stuff.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

vgovindan wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 22:42 Please also refer to article of Sonal Mansingh in the same context -

https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... 8674/lite/
Well expressed and puts the matter in right perspective. It is not about liberalism and freedom of expression, but hatred that is harmful to society at large. It is divisive under the guise of being inclusive.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

SrinathK wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 22:29 Anyway, for a change from all that is not music, just listen to this bArO krishnaiyya :

Unbelievable stuff.
Showcases vidwat, reach and has high points, but sounds jerky, lacks unity and pleasantness and the longing mood of the song.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Srinath,
Strip off the lyrics and then?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

SrinathK wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 22:29 Anyway, for a change from all that is not music, just listen to this bArO krishnaiyya :

Unbelievable stuff.
Yes. Inspired performance! Have not seen him at this level of involvement recently.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

vgovindan wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 09:33 Srinath,
Strip off the lyrics and then?
To tell you the truth, I have zero knowledge of Kannada, so in theory the words are just syllables to me and I don't have a clue what I'm singing. But since you asked, I tried an experiment -- singing this tune to gibberish (by which I mean only alapana and swara syllables). I ended up with a raga alapana set to tala, something that sounds like a weird fusion of thillana and kriti.

But on the plus side, I figured out why the tanam and thillana was invented. :mrgreen:

But seriously, it is so much, so much better with the lyrics.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Srinath,
If you - sorry if I am underestimating you - can come to the conclusion, a consummate singer like TMK should have no problem with understanding the worth of lyrics and mood the word association conveys to us.

Sometimes, I feel that TMK is suffering from a split personality; otherwise such a wonderful music and such a cynicism don't go together.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

SrI VG,

I don't quite agree that these are lyrics and the meaning in them evokes moods. I at the same time don't buy into this art construct! That argument falls flat in this episode.

It is true that anything can be tuned in principle. But it has to be done in practice and carried forward, cherished and celebrated for it to make sense. Why does it take this level of conflict to surface before some people take notice?

They never cared for the music of this land ( HM, or CM) until now. That proves the dubiousness of this whole thing!

I also saw this one! : https://thewire.in/diplomacy/flashback- ... conference

So the Delhi government at least thought there is no iota of religion in this invitation I presume. It is art! I agree with the first statement, I disagree with the second!

ark07

Post by ark07 »

TM Krishna singing the Guruguha Vibhakthi krithis along with his disciples at a private gathering in Bangalore last Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cnsubramaniam/videos

(Note: The videos are not labeled and not in order but a huge thanks to Mr. Subramaniam for uploading them)

narayan

Post by narayan »

Thanks very much for this.

I see at least one Pandora's box waiting to be opened (e.g. the Anandabhairavi), and I look forward to some leisurely exploration of this.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrc_tPnbqw

Now TMK as Vintage! I feel ( well let me say we always have felt!) some speed up, for example in sobhillu, but that is the natural expression of music where tightness of syllables is felt and comes out naturally. But without some locally ( in temporal sense) conforming accuracy of syllable intervals, he cannot maintain accuracy of tALam. tALam is perfect and Sri Arun Prakash sees it through and follows him perfectly.

He was not good at rendering caUka kAlam then. His paradEvata in dhanyAsi, was not effective even if it brought out dhanyAsi very well.

In contrast the current slow down looks very unnatural , done for some specific intent, even though it is good to listen to.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

I've been waiting for a long while now to hear his Manasa Yetulortune (which he sang at IFAS on 28th December 2007), Manasuna Neranammithi and Nenu Jesina Pujaphalamu (SRLKM on 9th Feb 2005) and Nannu Brovumani (Sringeri Mutt in Mar 2004). I've tried asking him directly but there's this huge process about having to ask students and getting permission and all that....

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

https://youtu.be/Aa_9UMNlxBk
TM Krishna - Sri Guruna Palitosmi - Ragam pAdi- Dikshitar