Madurai T N Seshagopalan

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The celebrated Carnatic musician and composer Sri Madurai T. N. Seshagopalan was born at Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu, India in 1948. His first music teacher was his own mother, and he later studied under Sri Ramanathapuram C. S. Sankarasivan. He served as professor of music at Madurai University. As well as being a master of veena and harmonium, he is a renowned exponent of harikatha.

Titles and laurels:

* TIRUPUKAZH MANI in 1964.
* GANA BOOPATHI by the Tamil Sangam of Olavakod in 1967.
* KALAI MAAMANI by Tamil Nadu Govt. in 1984.
* ISAI SELVAM by Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Mr. Karunanidhi.
* The celebrated Carnatic musicians and composer SANGEETHA KALA SAAGARAM by Sri Jayendra Saraswathi of Kamakoti
* PADMA BHUSHAN in 2004.
* SANGITHA KALANIDHI in 2006.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There are a lot of interesting anecdotes about our newest Sangeetha KAlanidhi Shri TNS ,one of them which I am quite sure is still not yet documented .Incidentally I have that interesting one to share .

The concert was held in Russian Consulate at Chennai(close to chola hotel) some time during 2002 or 2003(IIRC) . The concert was to start at 7:00 pm. A typical 20 minutes delay which is always no surprise for anybody attending shri TNS . There was a speech where in a gentleman (indian) talked about festival of India , introduction of Shri TNS etc.Then a russian consulate lady talked briefly about music starting with a struggle to spell MaduRai TN Seshagopalan . Time was 7:45 pm and at that time I was partly pissed off.

Then Shri TNS spoke about the hospitality that he received when he was in russia during 80's .Then he talked about Subramania Bharathi and connected that there is one poem where subramania bharathi connected russia and he illustrated only with few lines "erussia nAttil". I felt completely letdown by Shri TNS "Did I come to hear one reference to a fairly obscure poem of Bharathi where he connectes with a single line with Russia or to hear a carnatic concert".

The concert started at 8:15pm ,cannot recollect other songs but was very good.Then the biggest surprise happened , the same line that he quoted in the speech "Russia NAttil" was sung by Shri TNS .IIRC, the rAga was thillang and Shri TNS even did a small nerAval sketch in the line as "eRussia NAttil"(certainly not an easy line to do neraval).

At around 9:45 pm was a tani ,then there was just 15 to 20 of us . Shri TNS sang a RTP (not too sure), but certainly sang swarams in about 10 - 12 rAgas, each swaram was for just 2 minutes in quick sucession with a swaram in KApi for about 4 to 5 minutes .

I am sure "bharAthi krithi with eRussia NAttil sketch" and "swara rAgamaliga in quick succession" can only by done by shri TNS. His music with his encyclopediac intellect has certainly cleared lot of cobwebs of ignorance in me. Let us all see his performance from ASK(After Sangeetha KAlanidhi) 1.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 22 Aug 2006, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

"I am sure "bharAthi krithi with eRussia NAttil sketch" and "swara rAgamaliga in quick succession" can only by done by shri TNS."

Yes, the word "and" in that sentence is quite important. Swara rAgamAlikA in quick succession has been achieved by others.

saroja ramanujam

Post by saroja ramanujam »

Dear rasikas,
Good news! Our TNS is going to be sangithakalanidhi this year. My
comments are, the sangitha jalanidhi(ocean of music) is going to be
called sangitha kalanidhi. A nidhi means that in which the treasures
are deposited. in that sense TNS is already a sangitha kalanidhi as
tall the tresurs of music has already been deposited in him.To give
him
the title now is like writing the name of lotus underneath the picture
of it or to point out at the sun and say 'this is thesun!!
Saroja ramanujam

hareesh

Post by hareesh »

It is nice to hear a vidwan like TNS being awarded the sangitha kalanidhi title.May god bless him to live and sing for us longer

bala747

Post by bala747 »

While god is at it, may he also solve those sruthi issues he has been having! :)

saroja ramanujam

Post by saroja ramanujam »

in the soviet cultural center programme TNs sang the pallavi 'Parukkulle nallanadu' in madhyamavathi which was really Utthamavathi!
Saroja Ramanujam

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

saroja ramanujam wrote:...in madhyamavathi which was really Utthamavathi!
Haha... nice way of putting it.

Rohin

Post by Rohin »

TNS singing "talli ninnu nera nammi nAnu vinavE" with Mannargudi Iswaran, Neyveli Venkatesh, TNS Krishna. Can anyone identify the violinist?

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video_bl ... 584358D64B

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Rohin, the description clearly says "S.D. Sridhar - Violin" & "B.Venkatesh - Kanjira"

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Review of a new film in which TNS has acted & sung

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/15/stor ... 170200.htm

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

I should confess I am a bit tickled at the thought of TNS venturing into films again. His earlier foray into the film world in "Todi Ragam" was quite a flop. I guess it is the director's fault. In any case, TNS shouldn't spend his time and energy on anything but music. He has so much to give.

Let me join the band and extend my heartiest congratulations to him on being chosen for the Kalanidhi. May God give him a long life and good health!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Check this out:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/t ... name.8564/

The song that TNS had sung is 'sandhakaram' - and yes, it starts with 'SAntAkAram, bhujaga Sayanam' - another one of the language goofs...
Ravi

arunk

Post by arunk »

The song that TNS had sung is 'sandhakaram'
i dont think TNS has sung it with a "dha" - to my ears it does sound correct as SAntA (him and the chorus). Unless you mean it is MIO people that have goofed-up (again :)).

Arun

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I meant MIO...not TNS...sorry for the confusion....

sridharan

Post by sridharan »

Has Sri TNS been chosen already for Sangita Kalanidhi of 2006 or is this wishful thinking?

I didn't read about it anywhere else.

If true, it is great! None more deserving!

mohan

Post by mohan »

sridharan wrote:Has Sri TNS been chosen already for Sangita Kalanidhi of 2006 or is this wishful thinking?

I didn't read about it anywhere else.

If true, it is great! None more deserving!
Have a look at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=988

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

A very touching tribute to Sri TNS by his son-

http://sriramajayam.blogspot.com/2004_0 ... chive.html

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

TNS has been awarded the SK:
http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/16/stories ... 810500.htm

Congratulations!
Last edited by jayaram on 16 Dec 2006, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

jayaram wrote:TNS has been awarded the SK:
http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/16/stories ... 810500.htm

Congratulations!
The Sangitha Kalanidhi title is conferred on the last day of the festival (Jan 1). The award he got yesterday was the 'Sangita Kalanidhi MS Subbulakshmi Award'.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Review of a recent Coimbatore concert by Sri TNS

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/02/09/stor ... 120300.htm

Krishnan1940

Post by Krishnan1940 »

I recently came across a CD of our TNS in which, his handling of the Raga Kalyani ( Kamalambam Bhajare-Dikshadar) has been marvelous. I hav heard it now more than 50 times and would love to hear it again an again. No doubt-TNS is a genious.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Yes, the CD brought out by carnatica - just finished hearing it for the zillionth time...and murugabhoopathy's accompaniment is class as well....how about reminiscing about some great performances from this master? Here goes my list (both recorded and live):

MFAC 2002 - RTP in Shubha Pantuvarali - the best piece of music I've ever heard
KGS concert uploaded recently featuring a brilliant Sankarabharanam
RTP (don't have the full concert) in Kamala Manohari
Another KGS concert (uploaded on sangeetham) featuring Bhairavi and Hamsanandhi
2 Casette release on Lord Rama - exquisite Kaanada for Sukhi Evvaro
A Music India release featuring Sri Rajagopala in Saveri and RTP in Dharmavathi
Commercial release of a 1999 concert with O Rangasayee and RTP in Brindavan Saranga as the main pieces
Another commercial release of a mid-90s concert with a brilliant Pantuvarali for Apparama BHakti, Pakkala Nilabadi and RTP in Thodi

I am sure others would be able to add....

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

For me, TNS + SubhapantuvarALi/SivapantuvarALi immediately brings to my mind a brilliant SrI satyanArAyaNam in a May 1992 USA concert on a nrusimha jayanthi day. That concert also featured a scintillating RTP in brundAvana sArangA. It was one of the finest concerts of Sri TNS I have heard. It just got me hooked to his music.
Last edited by ksrimech on 11 Feb 2007, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Some of TNS's best concerts were from his 1992 USA tour... in fact I am trying to find copies of all his concerts from that tour. Would be nice to be able to listen to all of them!

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

I havent heard a lot of TNS but my 2 personal favourites are, one uploaded by our own.... coolkarni - Shankarabharanam accompanied by Lalgudi and the second one is the RTP in Surrutti. This was a spontaneous one as he announces later that "his conscience didnt allow him to complete the concert without singing a pallavi in the concert"
Regards,SR
Last edited by SangithaRasika on 12 Feb 2007, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

mdsmenon

Post by mdsmenon »

Dear SR,
Would you mind sharing these concerts? Is it possible to upload thesee concerts? I am a die hard fan of TNS.
SangithaRasika wrote:I havent heard a lot of TNS but my 2 personal favourites are, one uploaded by our own.... coolkarni - Shankarabharanam accompanied by Lalgudi and the second one is the RTP in Surrutti. This was a spontaneous one as he announces later that "his conscience didnt allow him to complete the concert without singing a pallavi in the concert"
Regards,SR

kannamma

Post by kannamma »

CMANA is will be honoring Sangitha Kalanidhi, Madurai Sri T. N. Seshagopalan with CMANA's Lifetime Achievement Award - Sangeethasaagara. The ceremony will be part of CMANAFEST on Oct 6th. CMANAFEST Weekend of Oct 6 & 7

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

No doubt, TNS is a gr8 artist with a fantastic manodharma..I have been attending his concers from the past 10 yrs(when i turned 15!), when i started appreciating classical music and all of his concerts have been a kind of a let down for me because of his extreme deviance from shruti.. agreed he is extremely imaginative and mathematical(some times to the extent that it takes away the aestheticity of swara) but I somehow cannot digest his non-adherence to shruti..i found this in his veena concerts also(so not ony his voice to blame i guess!).. did he spoil his voice by overdoing the brikha bit?

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

We had the privilege of attending his concert in Toronto on Sept. 22 - after a short shaky start, TNS Sir was simply astounding...the audience members were at the edges of their seats. The concert was reminiscent of his stellar concerts in North America in the early nineties. The thing is, we must see beyond voice limitations and look at/learn from the brilliant ideas being conveyed, especially since we know what the voice was/is capable of...

Ashwin
Last edited by Ashwin on 02 Oct 2007, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Well put Ashwin, TNS' concerts are an education even when the voice does not co-operate...and when it does, it is sheer magic!
Last edited by vijay on 02 Oct 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Vijay, it really was magical, and this is not just hyperbole from a die-hard TNS fan! The voice always changes with use and age, and so should the way in which we appreciate it. For example, I doubt that anyone on this forum would miss a concert of TKG Mama or any of the senior veterans - there's just so much to be gained in seeing the what the artist intends to convey rather than what the voice conveys. If the voice is the medium of expression of ideas, then even Marshall McCluhan might agree that this is one case in which the medium is not the message...

Ashwin

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

What was the list?
And if possible, could you post a review of the concert? I'm curious to know how it went since this was the concert where Sankaran sir introduced his student Arvind Venkatraman, like an arangetram.
Last edited by sankirnam on 03 Oct 2007, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Ashwin wrote:The concert was reminiscent of his stellar concerts in North America in the early nineties.
Ashwin
Do you have any recordings those particular concerts?

vijay

Post by vijay »

That is interesting...still more interesting would have been Trichy Sankaran with TNS! Sankirnam I think some concerts are available from sangeethapriya.org - mail me if you have trouble finding them

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

hi , ashwin, I have been expecting Lakshmi's e mail about the kutcheri. you have stepped in to give your views. thanks. we must not mind his occasional shruti lapses, may be due to constant travel etc According to me, on date , he is the last word in music. your defence of his unfortunate lapses was very pleasing. hope to meet you in mumbai and colombo. balu uncle gobilalitha

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

gobilalitha wrote:we must not mind his occasional shruti lapses,
one small correction; it should have been 'occasional shruti alignments'.

veda desikan

Post by veda desikan »

i personally dont agree that shruthi suddam can be overlooked. occasional lapse is understandable but this seems to happen in every second concert of his. undoubtfully being one of the greatest musicians , he needs to take care of shruthi. without shruthi if only message is intented to be conveyed , it could have be just spoken instead and there is no use of raga or songs which are totally based on shruthi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

An excellent writeup of a truly great musician

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/06/06/stor ... 930300.htm

Das

Post by Das »

Wouldn't you think that the name T.N Seshagopalan alone explains it all. Does he really need those credentials. Don't his kutcheris,lengthy or precise, say it all. I wouldn't leave his concert not humming at least one of the ragams i had heard. I started off with a small collection of recordings from the 1980s comprising of a Thodi,Bhairavi,Chakravaham,Shanmugapriya and Hindolam unheard of. The sangathis this maestro unleashes has to be heard,mere discription alone would explain almost nothing.

December 2007,i land in India and find myself seated at the Mylapore Fine Arts Club(15/12/07) awaiting the tardy arrival of the musician,TNS of course. He began a lenghty alapanam in Shanmugapriya for the second piece, could it be Marivere or maybe Siddhi Vinayakam we wonder. But of course,we are wrong. He sings 'Olam Kandu',a composition of Ambujam Krishna i believe. As i had mentioned in an entry before this,the higlight of this concert was the ragam tanam pallavi set to three ragas( Vasantha,Bhairavi Vasantha Bhairavi). After his alapanam in Bhairavi you hear M.Chandrasekar saying,'ippadi oru bhairaviya ketkurathu romba aboorvam',literally meaning that its rare to listen to such a bhairavi. In fact the entire RTP surpassed excellence,it was amazing. Mind blowing. Who else but TNS could conjure up a pallavi such as this(Sruthi Laya Bava Sangeetham Athai En Vasan Ta,Bhairavi Pavani).

The next i heard him was on the 18/12/07 at the Sri YGP Auditorium. A crowd was absent, but has that ever been the reason for a mediocre concert. Almost laughable i'd think. He starts with a Sri Ranjani,Brocheva. The main piece was in Kambodhi,' Yentha Malai',a tamil compostion dedicated to the Lord Ayyapan. How perfect,at a point in time when you see buses of devotees dressed in black dhotis and irumudis making their way to Sabari. He had to flaunt,and who would i be kidding to say that i wasn't looking forward to that. The calculations in the kalpanaswarams for this piece in particular was far from simplistic.

It was at a sabha next to the temple at Tiruvanmiyoor on he 02/01/08. A concert that lasted for maybe 3 hours and 10minutes. A concert by the Sangeetha Kalanidhis(TNS,M.Chandrashekar and Vellore). So as tradition follows he inaugurated the concert with an Ata Tala Varnam set to the ragam Reethigowlai,and of course there were kalpanaswarams. I got reminded of the one time i saw him back home in Singapore where he performed the Viriboni varnam for 20mins,in both speeds exploring all permutations both in tala and swaras. There were two elaborate raga alapanams present in this kutcheri. The first of which was in Hamir Kalyani. The applause that followed explained it all. Then, one of them from the audience raised his hand to ask what ragam it was and even before the artiste could answer another from the audience did. TNS then in good humour questioned if it was that uncomprehendable. He told that once during a concert ,by a vidwan from the past,a member of the audience got up and told the musician who had just sung a Thodi,that so far its all been good and that maybe he could sing a Thodi. Anyway,the concert went on. And there it was,Thodi, in all its splendour and more. With sruthi bedham he introduced the ragams Mohanakalyani and Natabhairavi. The violinist had his fair share of fun as well playing us glimpses of Anandhabhairavi. The kriti was 'Nee Dayara". The kalpanaswarams that followed were ingeniously planned along with the line chosen for the neraval. The nereval starts with the word Veda. The ragams were Sama,Karaharapriya and Revathi. The latter two being ragams in which the vedas are traditionally sung in. With a virutham in Misra Shivaranjani he sang the evergreen favourite,'Ravisharadhe'.

It was these three concerts from last december together with my personal studio and live recordings collection which i have that i now proudly line myself along with the rest of rasikas who have come to understand TNS sirs music. Listening alone does no justice for his music requires intellect. The ability to appreciate and comprehend the music of the Genius honours you with a Patam as a rasika of Indian Classical Music. Personally i feel blessed to have been born in a generation that has been honoured and privilaged enough to celebrate a musician such as T.N Seshagopalan.

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Shruthi lapses by gr8 artists are more due to over usage of shruthi bhedam.. victims are GNB, MLV, TNS. Exceptional artists had been very few like Tanjore Kalayana Raman, Voletti Garu.

On the other hand, doing away with shruthi bhedam had fetched excellent results as far throat is concerned. eg. MSS. Maharajapuram Santhanam.( both were MS and Minding Shruthi !!!!. Of course, the shruthi king MMI, I believe, never used to sing Shruthi/graha bhedam.

greatkrishna

Post by greatkrishna »

I think many of you may have heard the recording released by Carnatica where TNS Sir is Accompanied by CSM. The Kalyani he has sung is out of this world....no phrase left unturned.....unbelievable....The Nadhaswara style elongated phrases are absolutely electric.....I recommend you all get your hands on that recording.

Das

Post by Das »

I have a heard a recording of Sir singing Amma Ravamma in Kalyani. The alapanam for Kalyani was like what you have mentioned,"no phrase left unturned....unbelievable". He explored the mandara and madya stayi fully,literally.. and of course soaring at the tara stayi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Das,
You mention a song in shanmukapriyA of Ambujam Krishna in TNS's MFA concert (post#40). Was it kOlam kANa vArIr is NaTTak kuRinji?
I do not know of a 'Olam kANa'. You can't see (kANa) Olam (plaintive cry).
Lakshman, please help.
Last edited by arasi on 18 Jun 2008, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi: It must be kOlam kANa vArIr:

kOlam kANa. rAgA: nATakuranji. Adi tALA.

P: kOlam kANa vArIr (tiruk) kOsala bAlan karuNAlavAlan mAlOlan tiruk-
A: jnAlam uyya bhAnu kulattukkindu nilamaghaL karam koNDa raghurAman kalyANak-
C: tandai shol Etru kAnakam Eghi daNDaka munivarkkabhayam Indu
tanjamenra iruvarukku anjalenraruLi daraNiyOr magizhvura dashamukhanai iruttu anujar mUvar
puDai shUzha AnjanEyan padam tAnga janaka sutaiyuDan kanaka simhAsanattamar paTTAbhirAman tiruk-

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, L.

ap:
kulattudittu (kulattu+udittu) =born of
c:
Sol; one word missing in the line: daNDaka vana (the missing word) munivar
'anjEl' (don't be afraid) is how I know it. Anjal also makes sense: I give you protection
After daSamukanai iRuttu, the rest is in madyama kAlam; anujar mUvar puDai SUzha etc.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks arasi.

Das

Post by Das »

Why don't i check the lyrics of the song i had mentioned. I'll post it up as soon as possible.

beginner

Post by beginner »

108talas,

what you said is true in many artists' cases. It is better to show rAgAs / swarAs individually.

In the music auditions, if a singer / instrumentalist uses a shruti bhEdam, he/she is rejected.

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

nevertheless, it requires great skill to exhibit shruthi bEdham and come back to the rAg back, controlling imaginations of the other rAg from the original as well as not getting confused whatsoever.