Hyderabad Ramamurthy@Ambattur(Chennai)on May 23rd,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Hyderabad N Ramamurthy - 5th generation disciple of Poochi->Ariyakudi-> Madurai Krishnan->BRC Iyengar
Violin : VijayaGanesh - disciple of GnanaSundaram who learnt from Lalgudi Jayaraman

Mrudangam : Chennai Thyagarajan - disciple of G Harishankar and CS Murugabhoopathy
Kanjira : Nerkunam Shankar -disciple of G Harishankar
Ghatam : Adambakkam Shankar - disciple of kumbakonam rajappa iyer

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Thursday/ 3 hours and 20mins with brief introduction and speech break , 06:30 pm to 09:50 pm
Hall : Kalyana Mantapam in Ambattur
Occassion : Family Function concert

01. nera nammiti (varnam) - kAnadA- Poochi Iyengar
02. mahaganapathi manasAsmarAmi (RS,S) -nattai - MD
03. rAma nannu brOva rA (RS,N,S) - harikAmbOdhi -T

04. janani ninnuvina - reetigowlai - Subbraya sastri
05. sambhO mahadeva (R N S) - pantuvarali - T

06. niravadhi sukhadA (CS)- ravichandrika - T
07. muruga muruga (R) - saveri - Periasamy Tooran
08. Anandamruthakarshini - amruthavarshini - MD

09A. endukku peddala (R N S T)- shankarabharanam - T
09B. tani
10. bhavayAmi raghuramam - hepta ragamaliga of Saveri + nattaikurinji + dhanyasi+ mohanam+ mukhari+ poorvikalyani + madhyamavati - SwatiTirunal

Strategic Timeout -Garland and Speechbreak

11. bhOgeendra sAyinam - yadhukulakAmbOdhi - ST
12. varugalAmO ayya (starting with paramakripa) - mAnji- GKB
13. nee nAma roopamulaku - sowrashtram - T

Prologue to the concert
-----------------------
Last year my family celebrated my thatha(mothers dad)anniversary celebration at a village by name Tippirajapuram near Kumbakonam. My maternal uncle few days back had to organize his sons upanayanam and he did it in ambattur . Ambattur is quite closer to andhra border and his musician friend N Ramamurthy was invited again to peform for our family function. My uncle and Ramamurthy decided to have 2 upapakkavadhyams and I was there to assist my uncle for this concert .

N Ramamurthy is extremely classical and i heard him last time as a heavy KVN and DKJ typecast in tippirajapuram.In this concert he retained KVN dye and there was always a touch and go of semmangudi and MDR here and there . He faithfully follows the drop of numbers and anchors very much like his poochi - ariyakudi school .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 May 2019, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Hyderabad Ramamurthy@Ambattur(Chennai)on May 23rd,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Proceedings of the core concert
--------------------------------
Ariyakudi starts with many of his concerts with his guru nera nammiti kAnadA varnam.Ramamurthy showed his ariyakudi typecast right there. Madhyakalam madhyamakalam madhyamakalam this poochi-ariyakudi school gets that so well . The kAnada varnam was bit off not in delivery but with litttle volume imbalance with vocal having a shade volume below than the 3 percussionists . I came into action right away , i went to the sound mixer and asked the mic man to cut a bit of volume in mrudangam left and a notch below for percussion volume. The sound mixer man obeyed my orders .At the same time N ramamurthy also replaced his vocal microphone with his custom microphone that he had brought . I dont know if I did the right thing and/or ramamurthy did the right thing , but from there it was lovely balance of music with right amplification.

Nattai mahaganapathim came in next . With most of the audience not familiar in CM and not taking interest to generally hear live concerts , I am assuming that song was a hit . I am assuming most of them would have thought that this song mahaganapathim is from the movie sindhubhairavi. Who cares when swaras and second half of nattai song was on ,the team was no more NOT-I but they were WE-TOGETHER.

THe standard #2 came in next , i dont recollect hearing rama nanu brova ra from ariyakudi but I have heard many semmangudi and maharajapuram renditions of rama nannu brova. The harikambodhi was not hurried and raced like semmangudi but he sang very well with a nice measured ariyakudi dosage of neraval and swaras.

The contrast of janani ninnuvina was lovely, it is such a beautiful krithi . Even without this song ever coming in any movies still everyone will like it as the raga is reetigowlai .This krithi has distilled prayogas of ever resplendent reetigowlai, this no is a headturner for both the uninitiated and initiated rasikas of CM. The plot of this krithi is to build methodically reetigowlai with sangathis chisellled with intense bhakthi and what a joy to hear the rajagopuram like krithi janani ninnuvina with ramamurthys unhurried approach.

The submain arrived with one of my relative surprisingly asked me pantuvaraliya poorvikalyaniya .I told him to hear for 2 more mins and let me know . No luck he got more confused , i said take one more minute . Wow he took one more full minute and confidently said it is pantuvarali. 3 to 4 mins to disambiguate pantuvarali vs poorvikalyani was great as long as you confidently say the right ragam in one attempt. Sambo mahadeva came in next , This song is quite heavy in amplification that too with 3 percussionists i was about to feel jittery. The percussionist did not overbang and they consciously rotated for both the neraval and swaras . This song was measured like a typical ariyakudi kalathu song and I bit feel like hey ariyakudi school sishya why you did not sing pantuvarali like semmangudi school sishya .

My kid who is hearing the second live concert came next to me (both were only Ramamuthy live concerts) . The kid felt she can strategically hide behind the speaker next to me as part of hide and seek that a bunch of kids decided to play. i pulled my kid and just made the kid to listen niravathi sukhada. My kid heard the full ravichandrika song with cittaswaras and left . I was happy the last song that my kid heard in full was kalyani in that previous concert now ravichandrika was a great contrast choice with niravidhi sukhadA to suit my taste.

The next two in succession was well planned . Saveri alapana was detailed I was assuming he will convert into main , but instead it was a lovely drop of stand alone muruga muruga . Saveri selection and a contrast of thamizh to excess load of Thyagaraja was mitigated with muruga muruga thamizh krithi rendition . The fast filler in amruthavarshini was without swaras and he took up the dikshitar flagship amruthavarshini masterpiece and I liked both saveri and amruthavarshini contrast . With saveri and amruthavarshini chennai continues to worry without rains.

The main unfolded beautifully and the alapana of shankarabharanam was distilled essence with a thoughtful elaboration. ramamurthy was shedding ariyakudi and circling more with semmangudi there . The krithi enduku peddala had a semmangudish anchor and ramamurthy sang so beautifully. My kid again came next to me and sat for the whole second half , kids attention for the whole of veda sastra tatvartamu was intense and with the round of swaras ramamurthy captivated everyone.Ofcourse I am not sure with my kid , atleast there was a chance there. Just when shankarabharranam kuraippu swaras got over and with a little rush towards amplification, my kid left and ran away from shankarabharanam. I am just wondering of a possibility of my kid liking kalyani-shankarabharanam cluster the most in the 2 live concerts , that is bit of marked departure from my kids appa's taste . All said shankarabharanam showed the classical exquisite delivery of ramamurthy.He refuses to even sing one diluted cheap sangathi and the main was intensely Anthakalathu MAIN.

I did not expect a 7 raga sahitya and swaras where a 15 to 20 min song of bhavayami raghuramam will come in for a non sabha concert. This is where extending concert from 2.5 hours to 3 hours plus makes these possible . What a joy to hear that bhavayami raghuramam , ramamurthy got each raga devata at its core and circled so beautifully and faithfully to the jeeva pidis of that raga.Both the sahityam and swaras were intensely classical, semmangudi import ruled with hepta ragamalika of bhavayami.

Strategic Time out and Accompanists
----------------------------------
There was a garland and speech break and we did ok . I was asked to speak by my uncle and the one key point that i said was few decades back when my tatha was alive i have struggled to disambiguate the dhanyasi and mukhari portions of bhavayami , now every bit was crystal clear . I thanked ramamurthy for that and also for singing in a family function concert this many weighty numbers.

My uncle requested a tukkada bhogeendra sayinam post 3 hour mark ,i was thinking will i get a RTP post that kuntalavarali as this number is usually dropped between main and RTP. I was mentally not prepared for RTP as my kid may run away as it already 3 hours. Ramamurthy never planned for RTP it is my false alarm due to songlist addiction and post bhogeendra sayinam expectation . Ramamurthy then ended with a lovely varugalamO in maanji (kvn was there in front of me) .Diction of ramamurthy is clean be it his mother tongue tamil or his most familiar tongue telugu and the deva basha sanskrit , he delivers music without losing the bhava of words.

The violinist Vijayaganesh played very well, especially shankarabharanam was top class. His strength is more in the madhyamakalam zone and conncert was layered that way . Returns in alapana length can be bit more shorter is what i thought . Chennai thyagarajan amazes with great right left balance and he was very cautious not to get into a mood of tala vadhya kutcheri considering there were two other upapakkavadhyams . The joy of upapakkavadhyams will be felt more when concerts are beyond 150 mins barrier both shankars played very well . One has to give it to them that they never excessively amplified that too this being a non standard hall.Their tani was quite long and that must have given more lung space for ramamurthy to come up with a bhavayami raghuramam sixer.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Dinner, DemoCRAZY and subjudice
----------------------------------
As a family we did one nice thing. We did not serve dinnner in the dinner hall but instead we kept it as a buffet in the same hall where concert was held in one corner .Around 8:30 pm we started serving dinner in the hall without any announcement. Slowly few went to grab food .Some were thinking that they can have food after concert and that was another 1 hour plus . i think this approach kind of worked , atleast for a whole generation of kids of my kids age and many new fresh blood adult rasikas this helps as more music goes to ears . Who knows what is the gamechanger raga for each rasika ,for one it can be nattai and for the other it can be the,last maanji or even the smallest segment of nattaikurinji in bhavayami. My wife also sat close to 3 hours and she liked ramamurthy singing that itself is quite an achievement for the non harsh and sowkhyamish tone of ramamurthy and team.

The concert was held on May 23rd , the Big day of election result . Elections are the will of people it is DemoCRACY.The concert ended with bhogeendra sayinam (composed in todays kerala) and then varugalamo ayya (composed in todays TamilNadu). These two songs is indeed musically apt to represent kerala and tamilnadu .But one also feels the Democracy was bit DemoCRAZY in Tamilnadu and Kerala.The political situations and CM may not have direct relationship but each of us have to be vigilant in bringing the next gen as rasikas into CM. These things were more easily nurtured by my grandparents to me and my parents ,i am bit clueless on how to do it for our nextgen that too without an enabler vitamin tonic like illayaraja . There are just way too much of distractions with World :roll: Dance , World :roll: :roll: Art , World :roll: :roll: :roll: Peace and ofcourse World :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Music .

For the first time i told my 7 plus old kid during shankarabharanam that this ragam is called shankarabharanam , I asked my kid the next day what the ragam my kid told me shankararnab . I left it at that .Let us see how the kid progresses having heard the full veda sastra tatvartamu telisina neraval with a subsequent run of semmangudi typecast swaras. i will wait till 2029 on that where the kid may feel that this is something that i think i heard when Hyderabad ramamurthy sang 10 years back.

In each rasikas head CM will bring in the following thought process which is something i also had .It is like "hey I heard some thing i kind of loved a bit without knowing then what it is :o .............. Then much much later in each of our life we feel hey i am hearing this after knowing what it is and I love it even more " :P . Ofcourse all these thoughts are subjudice. We have to see as we all move on and life moves on.

About 15 years back one gentleman rasika told me that RK shrikantan is bangalore semmangudi when I went to hear RKS for the first time in a sabha in chennai. I feel like saying N Ramamurthy is like Hyderabad KV Narayayanswami. I Will share the photographs breaking the faces of artists (moonji) after their last drop of faceless maanji bit later when I have bit more time.

Overall an excellent concert for 3 hours and 20 mins inclusive of 15 mins of speech break and introduction.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sandwiched by two Hyderabad Ramamurthy's concerts, it's a trip from Tippirajapuram to Ambattur, spanning a period of twelve months. This is all Rajesh, at least the way I see him. He is an amalgam of musical longings which bear the mark of devotion and intensity, his unquenchable zeal and thirst for good music. His original, and at times boundless longing for the best can be overpowering. His longing for the surpeme classical form at times gets painted by bold streaks of sentiments that speak of his yearning for something which can also be astounding in its newness, and cannot be contained. Whenever I listen to MMI these days, the most present rasikA I see in my mind's eye in the audience is Rajesh. Had I been much younger, his ever-burning enthusiasm would have made a better rasikA of me, perhaps.
So, dear Rajesh, your little one will be imbibing it all, knowingly or unknowingly, and one day flabbergast you before you know it. Just give the child some time...

So good to hear that your extended family is continuing this annual family gathering as it were. Hyderabad Ramamurthy more than pleased your longing for a longish concert.
Yes, I noticed on a Kerala You Tube concert that they were serving dinner on the side well before the concert came to an end, which 'served' the purpose well, of not delaying the meal, and also avoided a rush soon after the concert.
Thanks for sharing your family concert with us:)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Can you upload recording of the above concert?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnb
Let me see what i could do. Give me few weeks time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Hyderabad Ramamurthy-VijayaGanesh-ChennaiThyagarajan-NerkunamShankar-AdambakkamShankar

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Musician Adambakkam Shankar had to wind up as he had a pressing commitment to leave post tani. In the next photo post concert he is not in frame

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

From Left To Right . ChennaiThyagarajan-NerkunamShankar-N Ramamurthy-VijayaGanesh on May 23rd,2019

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you for a colorful review as always, Rajesh. I enjoyed your thoughts on audience reaction, attention, the good side of serving dinner before the end of the concert, and your kid’s reaction.. I’m looking forward to your upload, to listen to an artiste I haven’t heard before.