Vidushi Sudha Ragunathan at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 19 Nov

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Shalu

Vidushi Sudha Ragunathan at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 19 Nov

Post by Shalu »

I walked into the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan auditorium at 6.40 pm on Sunday 19th November, not wanting to miss Sudha Ragunathan’s first concert of season 2017. And after a nightmare of struggling to find a parking slot, I further had wriggle my way through an eager crowd, right from the gate. I found the main door shut on my face with a serious faced gentleman waving me away. “Full, full, full…” he scowled. I went around the hall to the other door and found at least about thirty to forty people standing by the door. So, I scuttled to the balcony and it was spilling with people at the door there too! In desperation, I came down and went to the stage and again I found people sitting there. I had enough of running around by now and decided to settle down here and propped myself on a chair that I pulled from the green room.

Amidst all this chaos, the concert had already begun and the musician looked graceful attired in a subtle green and black saree and minimal accessories. I have always been used to seeing her shimmer on stage and this was different! And now to the music... she was half way into kalyani ata thala varnam by the time my brains settled down and quietened to absorb the music. I felt the left (thoppi) of the mridangam was on a high decibel level. Sai Giridhar the mridangist agreed with Sudha when she gestured and brought it down. An old-time favourite of mine, ‘Chalamelara’ began and there was a rustle of acknowledgement from the audience too. A simple straightforward kriti of Saint Thyagaraja! Then came the Malayamarutham raga alapana and there was an almost clap of a moment when she came down the avarohana from the higher octave, like a staccato movement. I thought maybe she would sing ‘Manasa etulo’. But then, it was Papanasam Sivan’s ‘Karpagamanohara’ dedicated to Kapaleesha. Loved the 'porutham' in the swaras. Embar did a round of swaras that reminded me of his exemplary strokes in the movie 'Dumdumdum' which I must have listened to at least a 100 times.

‘Sarasamukhi’ in ‘Gowdamalhar’ was so refreshing, especially with Sudha Ragunathan’s improvisations in the chittaswarams. Post that came ‘Shanmukapriya’ (‘chamaram’ as Muthuswami Dikshitar chose to call it) in all grandeur! Madras bhaashai le sollanumna pinni pedal eduthuttaa :) . As Embar Kannan matched her in quality and quantity, we heard some really good Diwali crackers and then the power completely switched off! The auditorium was plunged in darkness for a few minutes. Kannan however continued to play and completed the raga.It was a beautiful moment to watch the musicians continuing to do what they excel in, unperturbed.

And now, the real cutcheri began. With minimal light, no electronic thambura sound, minimal amplification, and no monitor feedback, Sudha seemed to have actually enjoyed the ambience and sang to her heart’s content. Kannan’s iphone thambura came to the rescue as it looked like her manual thambura was not in alignment. What a concert! It simply endorses that music too wants a natural environment at times minus the gadgets!! The audience seemed mesmerised and listened and watched in pin drop silence. ‘Sadhashraye’ flowed into our hearts, not ears. Neraval and swaras at ‘Chidaasraye’ and a vibrant thani by Sai Giridhar and Raman followed.

‘Malai varum vaelai’ in ragamalikai was like a gentle breeze that came floating to us, carrying Muruga in all His glory. My mind wafted to the time I heard MLV sing it and it was a good move of Sudha’s to bring it to life here.‘Gopalathnam bhuvanaikarathnam’ in sloka in yaman followed by ‘Harismarane maado’, a daasara padha filled our hearts to the brim with divinity. There is something very special indeed about the way Sudha renders a dasa. An Azhwar pasuram and Kurai onrumillai, always an audience choice, came as finale before mangalam and the audience stood up in unison and gave a standing ovation. Well worth the trials and tribulations of the parking menace! This musician truly knows the pulse of the audience!

kvchellappa

Re: Vidushi Sudha Ragunathan at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 19 Nov

Post by kvchellappa »

A nice review describing the experience from what is non-essential to music, but is building up the tempo aptly bringing out the yearning for what is to follow, and filling up what touched the heart rather than analysing what the musician did or did not do. Chalu!
Sudha once recalled how in Europe, the light went off and she was singing with eyes closed , and when she opened the eyes she saw each rasika holding a candle and the candles were distributed with no noise at all.
I have heard TMK once sing in KGS with no power, but the power of his voice filled the hall melodiously and it was enjoyable.
Maybe PMI had a point.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Nice to see a review giving proper credit to this seasoned artiste. Rare here at rasikas, where our hobby is castigating popular artistes with as much vitriol as we can spew out.
Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 07:42 Embar did a round of swaras that reminded me of his exemplary strokes in the movie 'Dumdumdum' which I must have listened to at least a 100 times.
Is this from a song or is it background score? More details please!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 07:42 Post that came ‘Shanmukapriya’ (‘chamaram’ as Muthuswami Dikshitar chose to call it) in all grandeur! Madras bhaashai le sollanumna pinni pedal eduthuttaa :) . As Embar Kannan matched her in quality and quantity, we heard some really good Diwali crackers and then the power completely switched off! The auditorium was plunged in darkness for a few minutes. Kannan however continued to play and completed the raga.It was a beautiful moment to watch the musicians continuing to do what they excel in, unperturbed.
Shalu,
What was the krithi that sudha rendered in shanmughapriya?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

She has mentioned - Sadasraye.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I wonder why in the 'curate' thread, 'Dumdumdum' did not figure!

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

rajeshnat wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 10:09
Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 07:42 Post that came ‘Shanmukapriya’ (‘chamaram’ as Muthuswami Dikshitar chose to call it) in all grandeur! Madras bhaashai le sollanumna pinni pedal eduthuttaa :) . As Embar Kannan matched her in quality and quantity, we heard some really good Diwali crackers and then the power completely switched off! The auditorium was plunged in darkness for a few minutes. Kannan however continued to play and completed the raga.It was a beautiful moment to watch the musicians continuing to do what they excel in, unperturbed.
Shalu,
Rajesh she rendered Sadasraye. Thanks for such a detailed review. A friend of mine who attended said that music had taken over the stage that in spite of all the issues the musician faced on the stage. Sitting miles away, we cherish reading such reviews, missing every moment of the season :(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

For a power cut shanmughapriya is a great choice as you are bit forced to sing with more power .I missed registering sadashrayE in first pass, Thanks.

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

kvchellappa wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 08:11 A nice review describing the experience from what is non-essential to music, but is building up the tempo aptly bringing out the yearning for what is to follow, and filling up what touched the heart rather than analysing what the musician did or did not do. Chalu!
'Shalu' or was it pun intended :) ? This post was more to highlight the overall mastery exhibited and specially how the talented musicians could adapt to glitches and yet make it a beautiful and memorable experience. I am sure there were many who attended who are a part of this esteemed forum who can comment on any analysis they may have made. I was busy enjoying and absorbing...analysis was not in my agenda. This senior musician had a break one year and came back last year and I just wanted to see and experience her first this season. Period.

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Is this from a song or is it background score? More details please!
[/quote]

Thats the idea sureshji - just enjoyed the talented set that evening - when we dissect too much the essence of the experience is lost.

Its the song 'Rahasiyamai' in the Tamil movie 'Dumdumdum'

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Shalu,
[/quote]

It was an abhayamba navavarnam of Dikshitar Rajeshji. I have not heard it too often hence it struck a chord

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 13:13 Its the song 'Rahasiyamai' in the Tamil movie 'Dumdumdum'
How can you tell it is Embar Kannan in this song? Is this credited to him or is it inside info?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 13:17 Shalu,
It was an abhayamba navavarnam of Dikshitar Rajeshji. I have not heard it too often hence it struck a chord
[/quote]

Sadashraye Abhayambike Sannidehi

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Chalu was intended, exclamation mark is for that pun. I enjoyed the review.

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

Shalu, Thanks for the detailed concert review. Beautifully written!

My Guru used to always say Kalyani ata tala varnam is a repository of the A to Z of the raga. Smt. Sudha Ragunathan unleashed her brand with beautiful gamakas and breezy brigas in the varnam.

Malayamarutham was gracefully highlighting the sentimental tenor and essence of the raga. Crisp, sonorous brigas couched in bhava-laden phrases enriched the concert experience.

The main-piece in Shanmukhapriya was breathtaking and electrifying. She did gruhabedham in shanmukhapriya and transcended into nattaikurunji, kanada and Sindubhairavi

Her malai varum Velai ragamalika rendition was classy and appropriate pauses (unnai kaanum niraivu, panivu, muruga) made the audience realise the richness of the composition and made it sound special. Her voice always casts a magical spell.

Post concert, stuck to the usual practice and had dinner at the karpagamba dingy mess. Kept humming the sindhubhairavi portion of malai varum velai..until early morning. Thanks to the entire team. It was indeed a fantastic concert.

arasi

Post by arasi »

"I was busy enjoying and absorbing'', you say--chAlu, Shalu. We don't need too many people to analyze a concert--just as we don't need as many musicologists as musicians that we can listen to, to live with music.
Great opener it seems, for the 'season'ed Sudha :)

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

How can you tell it is Embar Kannan in this song? Is this credited to him or is it inside info?
[/quote]
The music for this film is by Karthik Raja and if you love melodies, the solo violin is very, very striking. It was appreciation and curiosity that made me enquire many years ago and figure out.

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

arasi wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 01:17 "I was busy enjoying and absorbing'', you say--chAlu, Shalu. We don't need too many people to analyze a concert--just as we don't need as many musicologists as musicians that we can listen to, to live with music.
Great opener it seems, for the 'season'ed Sudha :)
Aaaah, the pun Chalu is stuck :D ..Arasiji am glad you are seeing this review the way I meant it to be - just a reflection of my enjoyment after all the travails of getting across, and in complete curiosity of what could be in store. Happy at not being disappointed, experienced the beauty of no amplification for a while and some spellbinding music by Sudha and her accompanists. Carnatic music reaching and touching the hearts of the not so musically erudite only reflects the beauty of the music and the calibre of the musician in making it an enjoyable experience across all segments. I certainly am not as learned as you all and enjoy this in my own space. Happy to read all your comments!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shalu, great reading your review. You're a quintessential rasike.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

What a lovely start to the season; no doubt a treat for those who made it. We wish we were there!

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Sachi_R wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 09:46 Shalu, great reading your review. You're a quintessential rasike.
Thank you very much

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Shalu wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 07:42 The musician looked graceful attired in a subtle green and black saree and minimal accessories. I have always been used to seeing her shimmer on stage and this was different!
I don't know from which part of the world we pickup these values? How did we come to the point where we use the word "accessories" for these? How did we end up promoting these as values??

What a clueless civilization???

Terrible!!!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shankarank,
Your rant is both unnecessary and unbecoming.
You should know our culture predates all other cultures and we invented ornaments and adornments long before others considered such ideas. We accessorized thousands of years ago!

The word ābharaṇam means exactly a fitment or accessory. Same etymology!
In lalitāsahasranāma, we say
tārākānti-tiraskāri-nāsābharaṇa-bhāsurā means that the Devi is resplendent with a nose accessory that mocks by its utter superiority of splendour the shine of a star to shame!

In fact, talking of personal preferences, I find the modern Indian women, especially those living abroad, with their tonsured heads, their necks and foreheads and ears bare, and clothes some nondescript jeans, often acid washed and torn, shameful, or at best laughable.

In Bharata's Natyashastra, he says that Lord Shiva wears as accesories the moon and stars!
(āhāryaṃ candratārādiḥ) https://youtu.be/Ph-B05jqi1g

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks Sachi. My rant was necessary for all the reasons you stated. But then again, also, don't use the example of Indian Women in the west that you mentioned, to justify what was written initially that I ranted against. Indian Women in the west will discover these things on their own volition. No sermonizing needed.

But we should not subtly promote that wearing AbharaNams is something against the values of musical enjoyment or culture!!

If I sound sermonizing, I am only giving back to those in their own coin!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

As long as you got my point, we have made progress ☺️

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

If abharanas are part of civilisation, not wearing them also is a feature of civilisation. The civilisation that picks up value from such adornments must indeed be poor. The writer has not decried wearing ornaments. It was indeed a natural flow of her inner experience that was musical. It is like beauty, sum of many parts that dazzles in its whole and loses its appeal when dissected. To pick from a beautiful review a minor part and cast aspersion on a whole civilisation is tangential and not in so civilised a taste. I agree entirely with RSachi.
I am not in the least arguing about our civilisation, which is a different issue.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kvc, you and Sachi are past your times and these things may not impact you. The kind of subtle invective in public speech ( like sila pEr kEkka vara, sila pER pAkka vara - from SSI days) have long been in memory that I tend to pickup signals at the threshold. This has acquired sophisticated forms thanks to our education system and people's outlook. And they apply these criteria only to traditional artistes, that too impacting traditional artisans, using tradition itself ( in their view) as the basis!

If the writer wanted to make a positive narrative , appreciating the simplicity would be good enough! But mentioning the absence of "accessories" a term that does not reflect the sense of sacredness with which our Women even buy gold ( a symbhol of auspiciousness) , takes it beyond the threshold!

I am also not engaging in a debate about civilization with my elder generation either - what I got is what you all gave us!

But it is fair game for me to rant - for the sake of the future!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 04:38 Your rant is both unnecessary and unbecoming.
Not to mention, tiresome. I hereby bestow the rasikas.org TMK award on "shankarank".

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks. I will cherish it as much as TRR cherished the petromax light holder's appreciation of his music. SureshVV has finally shone the light on the world :!: :idea: :idea: :idea:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Good job keeping it short & crisp. You should try it more often :) In this case, the petromax light unfortunately exposed the missing reed & the betel leaf juice flowing out the nadaswaram!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Why should I not adopt the betel style talk? Is it the preserve of old tanjorites?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Looks like you need some wipes now, as you forgot to set your dash pen/whitener settings in the forum!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Madras-Talkies wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 23:02 Post concert, stuck to the usual practice and had dinner at the karpagamba dingy mess.
Of course you know it is the Hilton when compared to Mami's tiffin stall :)

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

If the writer wanted to make a positive narrative , appreciating the simplicity would be good enough! But mentioning the absence of "accessories" a term that does not reflect the sense of sacredness with which our Women even buy gold ( a symbol of auspiciousness) , takes it beyond the threshold!

[/quote]

I am truly surprised at your comments. I must have written some 700 words as a review of an experience which I had, the curiosity that led me to the venue, the situation there and the wonderful music I enjoyed. It was sharing that music brought happiness that eve and I did so in this forum as I believed it is a 'rasikas' forum and here you choose to pick just one specific word and two lines that were mentioned in the flow - accessories, which did not play any role in the music! And debating about it! This aside, have we not also admired accessories of MS Amma-her mookuthi, MS Blue, Ariyakudi's angavastram, GNB's kadukkan - if they present themselves well we admire and when they do it always and are different at times, we just notice. That's it. The presence or absence of the 'accessory' has never diluted the delivery at any point in time.

Let this be laid to rest as it has no relevance to my intent of expression!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Well expressed and there it ought to rest without any further argument.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks for your response. But I could not just look at your flowing comment ( your thinking and intent aside) in isolation - rather as part of everything that goes on these days from decrying silk sarees and jewelry every where from Thiruvaiyaru to concert stage , including that of the audience as well!

Before we close this discussion , I would like to say that this is nothing personal against you and let this not discourage you from posting reviews and sharing your musical views here.

In closing I would like to mention that this not isolated but a national malaise. If Subramanya Bharati's wife came to the point of looking for rice and firewood rations, it was the result of centuries of planned destruction of Indian economic condition:

http://www.historydiscussion.net/britis ... -rule/5979

And it was not just the artistes at that time who were not shimmering, it also came to the extent of no oil in many temple lamps - something that would not happen during erstwhile kingdoms - so the deities were not shimmering as well!

And while China was releasing Karate Kid type movies, from Satyajit Ray down to Slum dog, Indian artistic community was doing something else:

http://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/ ... 99644.html

So I implore you to look at this from larger narrative sense than any narrower sense of us appreciating our artistes!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

God's will be done.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 06:41 So I implore you to look at this from larger narrative sense than any narrower sense of us appreciating our artistes!
Shalu and others!

Please DO NOT. These fora are primarily for Carnatic Music and we would all appreciate it if you kept your focus on this.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well the focus slightly shifted away from music at the outset ;)

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

ShankaranK,

Firstly, from what I understand, the issue about Tiruvaiyyaru was not as much as people fixating on the silk sarees artistes wear rather than the more rampant issue of pernicious commercialism and the loss of aesthetics. Looking back on the recordings of so called 'good old days' it is clear that vidushis like MS Subbulakshmi, T Brinda, and Bhanumathi (I think that's her name) wore silk sarees but still maintained aesthetics.

Secondly, the issue about 'selling poverty to Westerners' or celebrating misery sui generis is an issue that is gripping society as a whole. Be it contemporary literarure (where the easiest way to win a Booker is to write something depressing in a minimalist writing style) or music (TM Krishna and that Madanad Senon) or even daily life (when I looked at the bright side after a less than successful exam a friend accused me of living in La La Land). What IS wrong with happiness????

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Anyways , at least we have to give it to shalu! Shalu sees art beyond the boundaries of just music and saw everything else that comes with the performance as a form of total experience!

We seem to try to narrow him/her down to our own definition of what is music! :( :roll: :lol:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

If Shalu needed a critic, surely she would have a good one.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 10:10 the more rampant issue of pernicious commercialism and the loss of aesthetics
The answer to that is more improved commercialism - more aesthetic. I think the back drop for BSU 2017 - Chennai was an aesthetic one. But I don't think the old timers understood this! The outcry against commercialism @ Thiruvaiyaru made it into pamphlets distributed in Cleveland outside the venue around early 2000s , and my old friend the Grundig tape collector of Tanjore native, framed the issue to me : " These sponsors come in and block an area in the pandal for their people" !

But then if we now bemoan about inclusivism, how did that escape our thoughts and minds then! Do they have to be in slums ( and not be selling something!) before they qualify?

Better idea would have been to work with them on the idea of aesthetics - get our children/youngsters involved!

Well , well, well - if both TMK and the musicologist wanted to discuss aesthetics ignoring the 800 pound guerilla of aesthetics in the stage called mridangam ( not the actual instrument and the player - take this figuratively and metaphysically) and our mamas would walk out during tani - how the hell we would have a rat's clue ( I forget the emphasis idiom here used in America for the word clue - so made up one) of what is aesthetics!

And then here was a Mridangist! Talking about his Guru's award kaliyuga nandi. His retort was : "நந்தி மிருதங்கம் வாசிச்சு யாராவது பார்த்திருக்க்காங்களா சார் ! எல்லாம் humbug சார்" ("Has anybody seen Nandi playing mridangam? - All humbug").

That is how much the cultural awareness in the then educated generation!

TMK at least is stirring the debate - I would say - and has some ideas!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarank wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 20:19 I think the back drop for BSU 2017 - Chennai was an aesthetic one.
shankarank wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 20:19 Better idea would have been to work with them on the idea of aesthetics - get our children/youngsters involved!
Now reflecting on that - we would accept a curated ( according to our tastes ) backdrop , but not some ugly banners , or beaming LCD(s) flashing something - a subaltern tryst with new technology - that may actually get refined over time and become classical ;)

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

sureshvv wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 10:03
Shalu and others!

Please DO NOT. These fora are primarily for Carnatic Music and we would all appreciate it if you kept your focus on this.
[/quote]

Suresh - if you notice my last post, I have requested for this to be laid to rest as it was getting clearly evident that there was digression and in the bargain the essence of my write up lost. If kvchellappa and Sachi and most of the esteemed members can see it for what it was meant to be and when both kvc and sachi have reiterated that what was being taken up was irrelevant, I don't think it is fair on your part to make a general comment of keeping focus.

shankarank - you have seen what was never there and brought into discussion a larger issue that has no pertinence to my post. And you definitely have discouraged me from further writing because you are commenting on something that never warranted or merited any discussion and continue being at it.

This is my second request that this be laid to rest as it is not 'in focus' of what it was meant to be!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Shalu madam, VVS's comment was more on the advice that was egregious than on your intention. As it turned out, much of the discussion veered away from Sudha and you in recent posts.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 10:03 Shalu and others!

Shalu wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 04:53 I don't think it is fair on your part to make a general comment of keeping focus.
Sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you were not keeping the focus on Carnatic Music. That part of the comment was actually directed at shankarank.

And Shalu, Can you please be a little more attentive to the "quote"s?
Your quote should start with

Code: Select all

[quote]
and end with

Code: Select all

[/quote]

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Points noted kvchellapa and suresh