R Satish Kumar@nageswaran house on July 16th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------
Violin : R Satish Kumar, disciple of MSG
Violin support : Master Ashwin kidambi - 16 year old kid learning from Satish
Mrudangam : Sethalapathi B Sivaraman - disciple of Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer and TK Murthy
Ghatam : Papanasam Sethuramn - disciple of Mayavaram Somu

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 20 mins with minimal vote of thanks and intro by nageswaran sir
Concert Type : Free concert
House : nageswaran house at WestMambalam, Chennai
Occasion : What can one say , just love for nageswaran to encourage CM

1. nera nammiti (raga sketch) -kAnadA varnam - Poochi
2. nennarunchirA (S)- simhavAhini -T
3 mins swaras
3. SeethammA (N,S) -vasanthA - T
neraval for 4 mins
swaras for 4 mins

4. paridAnaminchiTTE (R,S) - bilahari - patnam
4 mins alapana and 2 mins swaras
5. dunmaArgacharA (raga sketch) -ranjani -T
6. sangeetha gNanamu - dhanyAsi - T

7A.mA jAnaki (R N S T)- kAMbodhi -T
8 mins alapana
3 mins neraval in vAnimAtala
12 mins swaras
7B. tani for 6 mins

8. RTP behag in Adi talam for 21 mins
pallavi line was harE rAma govinda murArE , mukunda sowrE muraharE
SwararagamAliga in behag +bHageshri + mohanakalyani + desh + subhapantuvarAli

9A. sketch of raga alapana in shivaranjani + kApi + sindhubhairavi
9B. kurai onrum illai - ragamaliga as before - rajaji
10. Krishna nee bEganE bArO (Raga sketch) - yamunAkalyani - vyasavaraya
11. niraimadhi - thirruppugazh - hamsanandi - AGN
12. mangalam

rajeshnat

Re: R Satish Kumar@nageswaran house on July 16th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Concerts curated with real deeper attachment of Guru and even with less patronage of rasikas are far better .Atleast these concerts stands much taller than many of the sabha concerts where there is a tendency for artist to inadvertantly or purposely fall into the trap of bit earlier dil maange more party of tukkadas . Shri nageswaran love of particularly MSG is perhaps one of the highest and msg and nageswaran were more like antha kalattu GNB and Tanjore Kittappa . I have personally understood both MSG and Nageswaran Sir nearly at the same time . This was a rasikas concert of just 2 rasikas.org rasikas where nageswaran and I participated . We also had VS Narasimhan , the respected violinist who has a special love for MSG, he was there till the first hour and left.

Satish Kumar was assisted by a 16 year old kid Ashwin kidambi . The joy of hearing music only interests me, I only like to see music so that i dont inadvertantly doze off. But occassionally to see a young aspiring student Ashwin Kidambi following with such passion his guru Satish kumar was a joy. Who knows in 2050 Satish Kumar will be the next Parur Sundaram Iyer and the young Ashwin will graduate as the next MS Gopalakrishnan . Nageswaran sir will upload the video , you just have to hear it and also see the musical seriousness that both satish and ashwin kidambi visually share.But before all of that is this review

MSG naadam has so much tonal quality , one hears the aural texture so distinctly and one feels the violin is the most divine instrument only in one pair of hands that is MSG. MSG also had at times great speed and control, for atleast me the melody and speed of MSG was there at many many places in this concert of SatishKumar. The vadhyam supremacy was also showcased apart from sahithya muse.

Satish Kumar started with clean and full bow of KAnadA alapana . It is indeed a brilliant raga that has enough gestalt of muse to hook me up . The expected flag ship varnam nera nammiti was played with finesse .KAnadA varnam did not have an extra kAnadA alankaram like a santhanam , the team was very much showing clearly the contours of both varnam structural edifice and kAnadA melody just blended. The next number in simhavahini was wonderful satish picked up significant speed and the swaras were really great, msg was slowly into me there.

The joy of hearing MSG is the ragas like subhapantuvarali , nalinakanthi , dwijAvanthi those gives Parur special muse with msg blend of sunaadam . Vasantha was fantastic , i struggle at times to differentiate the neraval and swaras during violin concert the cuts are not strictly digital but bit blurred with many violinist .I loved satish play in vasantha where he gave considerable extra muscle and kidambi kid was a joy to give great shruthi suddham . Ashwin was watching intently and learning with mostly straight bow, but when given a chance he indeed played very well in quick fashion . I donot recollect MSG playing bilahari , that raga i associate more with LGJ and TNK . The alapana of bilahari was done in a clean fashion no repetition and the patnam krithi was played briskly. This bilahari was more a lalgudi special to my ears.

Ranjani was great , the muse and tonal quality was very very MSGish and i loved satish play throughout ranjani . I certainly did not expect a fast filler in a raga like dhanyasi . That was a bit of googly , i was wondering if the krithi is not sangeetha gnanamu as it was played bit more faster than the usual pace of many artists . The krithi was indeed sangeetha gnamu in dhanyasi prior to the main krithi.

The main was stormbodhi , mA jAnaki is one of a kind of krithi . Another lovely play by Satish with young kidambi getting bit far more chance to play individually without guru's help . There was a lot of clarity in neraval and swaras and the crescendo of mmi like crescendo sangathis in swarakalpana was well done towards the end.

Some time in the beginning of third number i asked satish to play a RTP . I was not sure if he had already planned or was it my request . I would love to hear from him as satish is already a forumite . The chosen raga for RTP was behag . Behag was never bequeathed to North India , it stayed significantly South .Satish positioned the alapana bit more slanted and with it more well defined behag sangathis was very well done . He didnot introduce any unnecessary drag and repetition which can be customary feature of behag. I was expecting bit more in taanam ,the cut bowing of Parur - MSG was not demonstrated . The Adi pallavi line was quickly covered the swaras in swara raga maliga were well done , may be he could have played bit more but still the MSG muse came in flashes in particular Subhapantuvarali , dwijAvanthi and desh . Certainly MSG must have surely been happy with the concise violin nadham with zero scratchy tone in behag RTP.

The SHivaranjani alapana started and then kapi continued with sindhubhairavi closure .As i expected the flagship krithi of these 3 ragas came in . KUrai onrum illai govinda moved to Krishna avatar in yamunakalyani .The team played krishna nee beganE very well. Thirruppugazh was like most musicians thirruppugazh it was quick and hamsanandi was gone in a jiffy .Lord Muruga in tirruppugazh continues to have the usual saravana bhavan chutney treatment .

The accompanist B sivaraman is surely adding far more muscle and his tani was paced right , he cut it short to give a RTP and possibly played once more tani at the end of rtp to give bit more rest to satish . papanasam Sethuraman gave needed support and did not overplay at all which is the best that can happen for any concert.

Why is Satish kumar not seen that much?
--------------------------------------
I was assuming that satish kumar was out of chennai but actually he is only in chennai . Certainly great azhuttam and I hope he is featured more in vocal concerts . He is only in mandaveli and when I had a chance to drop him and Papansam sethuraman in their house ,his bhakthi towards violin and particularly with MSG is simply too good. But I hope he also pushes bit more in concert circuit and markets bit more, the days of saying some thing like I dont push myself is gone for ever. The kid Ashwin kidambi told me that he is 16 and he is in mylapore. I am not sure if he is based out of chennai but certainly if he is ,the mandaveli-mylapore guru-sishya parampara is rocking.

All said you all hear this lovely MSG second generation and third generation disciple. I am glad that I asked for RTP and i also got a rare RTP in behag instead of longer tail of thukkadas. Special thanks to nageswaran sir and his wife , i guess their house will be the best musical house to give more content and more importantly the artist just get into that high performance groove. Over to nageswaran sir to share the video and/or audio recording , i will share few pictures that i have in my mobile few days from now.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 20 mins.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nageswaran Sir is in center forward . From Left Flank Papanasam Sethuraman and Setalapathi B Sivaraman . From Right Flank Ashwin kidambi(far right) and R SatishKumar

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Nageshwaran Sir,

Please post recording if permitted by the artist.

Thank you

satvio09

Post by satvio09 »

Please listen to the concert at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUlT1SfehU8&t=742s for first half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X-ais057tE for the second half

Thank You

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Thank you R Satish Kumar.An excellent concert in MSG style.

satvio09

Post by satvio09 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 01:11 Thank you R Satish Kumar.An excellent concert in MSG style.
thank you sir