Concert Attendance Report

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
vasanthakokilam

#1 Concert Attendance Report

Post by vasanthakokilam » 24 Jul 2009, 22:26

I felt a vibe that many members feel that they are not qualified to write full fledged reviews of concerts. They may find it cumbersome to open a new thread for just a few sentences. I have created this thread where members can post a report of their attendance at a concert. It can contain the event details ( Who, What, where ) along with some brief comments about the concert. You can post a full or partial song or raga list as well, if you have it. Though follow up comments to the member's post are encouraged, if it gets to be a lot, we will move them to its own thread.

If the attendee has a lot of things to say about the concert, it is probably better to open a separate topic so any discussion of the concert can be conducted there.

I anticipate that after writing 'Reports', some members will feel confident enough to write 'Reviews'.
Those members who usually write reviews, please do not post in this thread, do the usual thing of opening up a new topic for that concert.
0 x

Nick H

Post by Nick H » 24 Jul 2009, 23:29

I think it is a good idea.

During last season we had a "twitter" thread in which people shared their plans and concerts attended. Sometimes just a short note that a concert was seen can bring forth further comment from someone else who was there.
0 x

bilahari

Post by bilahari » 25 Jul 2009, 02:40

Good idea. Thanks, VK.
0 x

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN » 25 Jul 2009, 02:54

I second the idea
0 x

sivakami

Post by sivakami » 01 Aug 2009, 00:48

Vocal concert held under the auspices of Kalasagaram Hyderabad at Keyes High School recently

Shyamkumar K -vocal
Dinakar-violin
DSR Murthy -mridangam
Radha Padmaja- Morsing

1. Sarasuda -saveri varnam
2. Swaminatha paripalaya - nATai
3. aTu kArAdani- manOranjani
4. sarasIruha nayanE-: amritavarshiNi
5. mAyaMA ani ne - Ahiri
6. sudhA mAdhurya bhASaNa -sindu rAmakriyA
7. annapUrNE- sAmA
8. idi nyAyamA - mALavi
9. mAmava mInAkSi - varAli
10. tunga thEra virAjam - yamunA kalyANi
11. gopi gopAla bAla - gamanAsrama
12. neneTu sahinchune -(preceded by a bhajan: vanamAli radha ramaNA)
13. gangAdhEswaram sankaram - sindhu bhairavi
14. mangaLam
It was a monthly program by the organizers. The budding vocalist K. Shyamkumar, is popular among the rasikas of the twin cities as a kanjira & mridangam player. It was interesting to see him perform also a vocal concert. I went in when the item #4, amritavarshini alapana was on. This was apt for the dry weather prevailing here - there was a slight drizzle towards the end of the concert.... This kriti was rendered well, with the neraval at "vara dAyaki amrtavarshiNi"
0 x

Nick H

Post by Nick H » 26 Aug 2009, 07:33

25 August 2009 --- T V Sankaranarayanan gave a spirited and enjoyable concert at Sastri Hall.

Vocal support -- ?
Violin -- M Chandrasekaran
Mridangam -- Srimushnan Raja Rao
Ghatam -- T V Vasan

This was an "event" concert, marking the birth day of Dr. T. V. Kuppuswamy so speeches were in order, and SRR, TVS, and MC each spoke for a few minutes before the concert started. They spoke in Tamil, so I am none the wiser about the event. The duration of the speeches seemed perfectly acceptable.

I haven't seen TVS sing for ages, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

His support artist has a terrific voice. He has the habit of singing about two inches too close to the mic, which is strain to the soundsystem, and, of course, this was not adjusted for. A minor quibble!

M C's violin was, as perfect as ever. I wish I understood why he caused laughter from the audience at one point during his alapana reply to the main piece --- but I guess that there are many cultural/musical allusions that may always escape me.

SRR and TVV played excellently, but I would have liked to have heard more of TVV.

My favourite item was the "sub-main" which I found extremely sweet from beginning to end. The main was just a bit boisterous for me! The Thani, however, was excellent.
0 x

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 26 Aug 2009, 07:49

Nick - vocal support must have been provided by his son Sri Mahadevan.
0 x

Nick H

Post by Nick H » 26 Aug 2009, 17:40

Thank you, rshankar
0 x

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 29 Aug 2009, 09:27

Nick - here is a piece with a picture: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/08/28/stor ... 240600.htm
0 x

semmu86

Post by semmu86 » 29 Aug 2009, 10:34

OMG .. missed this concert , thanks to my travel . But as nick said , i dont remember going to a TVS concert in the last 10 months-1 year . But luckily i heard 2 concerts this month ( 15th at PS high school and 16th at krishna gana sabha with uks sir , the review link for which is given by rshankar ) .. The PS high school concert had a fabulous kAmbhOji ( kAna kan kOdi - one of my eternal TVS favourites ) and the KGS concert had a great shankarAbharNam ..

Arvind.
0 x

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat » 29 Aug 2009, 12:35

rshankar wrote:Nick - here is a piece with a picture: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/08/28/stor ... 240600.htm
Just read the review of the hindu:

The hindu reviewers sometimes dont attend the full concert , so usually they just write about few songs they listened and just make a passing mention.Looking at this review by M.V. RAMAKRISHNAN , this appears a more PR exercise than talking about the concert(I dont mind PR being done but that should be a minimum).

There is just one mention of endukku peddala and manasu nilpa. Rest they have just praised in general about UKS , the old MMI -TVS days, worst thing that is happening nowadays is lifting of previous reviews thehindu.com, May 2 and 16, 2008): etc(I do agree for say poochi srinivasa iyengar , one can take from legacy archives, but taking excerpts from just a year back) , kind of wasting the space by putting some excerpts excluding this concert.

While all these exercises will certainly add few fans for the artist, but many would think otherwise. Would be nice if who all write and those collaborate to write work on really doing a good job for ShankaranArayanan.

Incidentally in all the concerts that I had listened in the last 1 or 2 years shri TVS always gives the main alApanai to his son. So this 2 sentence balti of " TVS has been extremely restrained in projecting his son’s image so far, assigning him only a subsidiary role in his concerts, and expecting the youngster to grow in stature gradually.But Mahadevan’s progress in recent years has been so rapid and impressive that on this occasion, TVS was tempted to throw caution to the winds," has its own share of inconsistency.Out of 14 paragraphs only 3 paragraphs is about the concert.

Incidentally I have heard mahadevan singing with Shri TVS , he is indeed doing a good job.While all these exercises will certainly add few fans for the artist, but many would think otherwise. Would be nice if those who write and collaborate with them do a good job for this young aspiring mahadevan.
0 x

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 29 Aug 2009, 19:58

Rajesh - you've hit the nail on the head. For the most part, the reviewers either think that the readers are less informed than they are, or they have such a distorted view of themselves, that they feel they should and can get away with anything. There doesn't seem to be any accountability at all. I wonder how many journalists will get to keep their jobs if they get the name of a politician wrong, report incompletely, or incoherently. But many of the 'journalists' who contribute to art reviews are guilty of all three.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE: I still chuckle about a composition that was billed as 'Ananda naTam ADuvadillai in pUrvikalyANi by Nilakanta SIvan' in one of the reviews and I still wonder if there was some direct communication from the Lord to the composer (which was then shared with the reviewer) where-in He expressed his displeasure with pUrvikalyANI and refused to dance to it.
0 x

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala » 31 Aug 2009, 22:22

rajeshnat wrote: The hindu reviewers sometimes dont attend the full concert , so usually they just write about few songs they listened and just make a passing mention.
I know of one instance of the opposite. The Hindu reviewer was deputed to the concert with instructions to cover only 20 minutes worth (apparently the editor didn't share the enthusiasm for the singer, unlike the 700-odd rasikas who thronged the hall). The reviewer enjoyed the performance so much, he stayed for the entire concert and conscientiously wrote a full review. Alas, only half the review escaped the editorial scissors, leaving non-attendees wondering why the artiste had taken up only two ragas! Let us not be too harsh on reviewers; perhaps they have agendas not of their making.
Last edited by karthikbala on 31 Aug 2009, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nick H

Post by Nick H » 31 Aug 2009, 23:40

Good point. Just as artists have sound engineers to contend with, journalists have sub-editors and editors to deal with.
0 x

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat » 01 Sep 2009, 07:48

Point well taken, yes at times the hindu reviewer is not at fault, it could be sub editors and editors.
0 x

bilahari

Post by bilahari » 01 Sep 2009, 08:11

Karthikbala, this is news to me. I don't see the logic behind reviewing part of a concert!
0 x

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 » 01 Sep 2009, 08:27

I do understand reviewing part of a concert when you need to come late and go early for various reasons, but still want to tell others what you thought about it -- maybe so that they'll try to listen to the artists when they perform next. But when the whole concert has been attended why review only two or three items? If space on the paper is constrained, there can still be a briefer but over-all review, highlighting the most important points.
0 x

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala » 01 Sep 2009, 12:35

bilahari wrote:Karthikbala, this is news to me. I don't see the logic behind reviewing part of a concert!
In their Grand Scheme of things, some artistes are alloted less coverage than others, perhaps to put them in their proper place in the pecking order.
Last edited by karthikbala on 01 Sep 2009, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

bilahari

Post by bilahari » 01 Sep 2009, 12:57

How sad that there's a "grand scheme" even in music reviewing! Nothing is without politics anymore :(
0 x

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 01 Sep 2009, 16:55

bilahari wrote:is without politics anymore :(
'Anymore'? - I think it was always the case. It is the music and newspaper worlds' interpretation that 'some are more equal than others'!
0 x

avyukta

Post by avyukta » 01 Sep 2009, 17:14

Even among rasikas, some artists are more equal than others. Some rasikas equate artists with yesteryear celebrities and write pages including the time take by them to sneeze, drink water etc while the same reviewer rasika/rasikas nonchalantly dismisses/dismiss some artistes who are not to their liking. so bias is everywhere.
This earth is not for the meek but for the mighty and aggressive marketers and manipulators. Music is no exception. The top few create a monopolistic competition among themselves and together try all their might to scuttle upcoming artists with perhaps better talents. So especially in review in dailies like The Hindu, reviewers, editors, sub-editors pampered by such mighty manipulators always bring out the bias in them. So one of the routes to the top is swaying the best critics to their advantage. another route appears to be through rasikas in forums like rasikas.org.
so more than music and talent many other factors do make some more equal than others
0 x

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 01 Sep 2009, 20:40

avyukta wrote:Even among rasikas, some artists are more equal than others. Some rasikas equate artists with yesteryear celebrities and write pages including the time take by them to sneeze, drink water etc while the same reviewer rasika/rasikas nonchalantly dismisses/dismiss some artistes who are not to their liking. so bias is everywhere.
But the difference is that on rasikas and forums like these, everyone can write about their favorites - an opportunity not available in the usual print media. So, if you feel that some artist has been treated 'less than equally' thus far, feel free to write about them. No one is assigned to write these views/reviews etc., and that is the beauty of a forum like this - so that people like you should feel empowered to right these wrongs. What is incorrect is to expect that the individuals who have hitherto taken the trouble to post to expand on the list of artists they write about - because, as individuals everyone has biases, and they do indulge in them. You should too, as should anyone else (as long as there is nothing derogatory, or unfair comments).
0 x

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN » 01 Sep 2009, 20:44

The rasikAs in the center point of CM - Chennai get the upper hand in reviewing various artists
0 x

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv » 01 Sep 2009, 23:15

nick H wrote:Good point. Just as artists have sound engineers to contend with, journalists have sub-editors and editors to deal with.
But the buck has to stop somewhere! I feel that the artistes should be held responsible for bad sound system settings in the concert hall. Some artistes make it a point to show up early at the venue and with the help of trusted assistants get the sound system fine tuned correctly. It would be good if more of them took this cue and did the same. Similarly for incomplete or truncated reviews, the reviewer should take it up with the editors, because after all it is their name that is placed on top of the review, and it is their reputation that is hurt by cavalier editing.
0 x

Nick H

Post by Nick H » 02 Sep 2009, 02:09

I'm afraid that that is not how it works in the world of newspapers. If the sub-editor needs to save a quarter of a column inch, the journalist can end up being totally misrepresented!
0 x