Use the calendar for events

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi,

Since the calendar has been made available on the forum, please use that to post about upcoming concerts and other events instead of using this section.

To access the calendar, please click on the "Events Calendar" on the "More features" box on the left.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Everyone, here is a document prepared by Mr Raghu (user ID "thanjavur") on how to post events on the events calendar. Please post events there and not on the forum

http://tinyload.com/2414

Thanks Raghu.

adiani

Post by adiani »

Last edited by adiani on 30 Jun 2008, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

adiani

Post by adiani »

Last edited by adiani on 30 Jun 2008, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Sir, Can we update even if we see in the newspaper or other sites (like Hindu/Kutcheribuzz) etc.?
Can we also take it up with artists to update the event ?

What I can do is which ever the concert I am attending I can take a printout about our forum ( a small half page duly approved by the forum) and give it to the vidhwan's and request them to update. ( I can also maintain a diary of whom I have distributed the paper)
But the issue could be that they need to register with Rasikas...... Any suggestions...

mohan

Post by mohan »

How do I log on to the calendar?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

vganesh.

of course you can add those that you see in the newspapers.the controllers for calender log in I think the moderators are yet to come to terms. it is betterif mods have a mail address similar and quite mnemonic akin to rasikas where anybody can send a schedule info so they can update it. As told in the other thread I can give a helping hand if you want. but good work skris. Thanks

arasi

Post by arasi »

We have ganESas of all kinds. Modern sculptors in metal and terra cotta create whimsical vinAyakAs as reclining figures and walking stick wielding
ones. Now we have a very calendar-minded ganeSa too. Has he picked up the stick from the walker? :)

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

srkris

thanks for creating the calendar. However, I think people may be feel reluctant to go through the process informing you to get the access. I agree you would want a person to login before updating the calendar. But if it is not too difficult, is it possible to have a sign-up option in the main page itself? That will attract more people to join and update the calendar.

For the calendar project to succeed, if there are "updaters" - especially if it is the artistes themselves Probably the performers in this group can help spread the word - Balaji, Erode Nagraj ...... Of course the "Head" of Public Relations - Coolji will be able to reach many more people.

Hey! I do not see the June 20th concert of Vijay Siva in the calendar :(

One other suggestion I have is to have

a) separate calendar for cities - Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad
b) one for all the rest.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ramaswamy,

Getting access is a one time phenomenon, once access is granted, it is permanent. We definitely need this gatekeeping for the calendar. Moreover google doesnt allow me to make it editable for everyone.

One has to be granted access to edit it, and one should have a google ID for being granted access. Perhaps we can have a calendar team to update the calendar, and anyone who wants to be a part of it, pls send me an email (see first post above for details).

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

I have added a few items by logging into Google Calendar .. but it doesnt appear in the calendar mentioned above... what to do ?

J.Balaji

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Balaji,

1. Send your google ID (i.e gmail ID) to the email given in the first post above. This is only required to give you access to the Rasikas calendar.
2. After you are given access to the Rasikas calendar, you will be add events (see picture above)
3. Currently you might have added events to your own calendar, not to the rasikas calendar (since you currently dont have access).

If you just want to view the calendar when you login at http://calendar.google.com , just add the calendar by entering the email and clicking add (see image below) - this is not necessary if you have already been assigned "edit access" to enable you to add events.

Else just go to http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm to view the calendar

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ganesh Mourthy is taking the initiative to communicate to the artists about using the calendar. And he is going to do that this week. Please provide any inputs you may have that will help him communicate this to the artists.

Now, on the logistics, I assume by now a bunch of people have been given write access to the calendar.

Srkris, can we create an email alias ( say, using google groups or other methods ) consisting of the email ids of those people. It should be set up so that anyone can send email to that alias.

This way g_m can tell the artists one simple instruction: Send email to that email id with concert details. The four Ws of scheduling: What, Who, When and Where

It will be blasted to all the people in that group and one of them can insert it into the calendar if it is already not inserted. This way the work load is spread and the risk of such emails getting ignored is less.

If Sabhas are interested in updating the calendar directly, they can obtain write permission from srkris.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Ganesh Mourthy

Wish you all the best in your efforts. That is indeed commendable of you to take up this task. In my opinion, as far as possible, the artistes themselves should be convinced to update the calendar on their own. That way the responsibilities get distributed and the date becomes more reliable. Of course. it is a huge selling task till the calendar site reaches the critical popularity for the artistes and sabha people to become direct "calendar updaters".

Similarly other members here whose gurus are performers can also pitch in by creating their "Guru Kshetram" in the calendar.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Sri G_M; We need to create a standard format to communicate with Vidwans, so that they respond to us. It is very important. Please get that prepared by mailing to VK and SRKris.
SRKrisJi: I will send a mail so that you can also give me an access, if you wish. I also have google id.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

I have updated the calendar with an entry (4th July event) and its working. Will try to post regularly by looking at The Hindu, bharath & other magazines....

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

This is looking very good. Great potential :)

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi Vasanthakokilam. i am afraid i am nto getting any mails . should I use only gmail for this?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

good work vganesh. I am happy to see that you show good entusiasm for the cause.

vasanthakokilam

I just sent an email to our calendar account. Post back here if you got the forwarded email.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

VK,way to go!

got it in my email account. cheers.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Thanks G_M Ji. I am still trying to organize myself so that this can be regular.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

July 2009 program of Raga Sudha Hall has been updated in Rasikas Calendar. Enjoy CM.

vasanthakokilam

Good job vganesh.

Some tips while entering events for all of us who have not used Google calendar a lot.

1) In 'What' enter the name of the artist along with accompaniments if known. This way, in the outline Agenda view that info is displayed. People can always click on the item and see the full details but having the performer(s) info showing up in the outline view is useful

2) If you know the address, enter it in 'Where'. Google will map it for you automatically when you view the "more details". ( e.g. July 4th Sydney event )

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Thank you VK Sir. I will go by your tips. This calendar information I picked from Raga Sudha Hall when I went for a concert. Similarly I will try to visit other places and gather information to post. Also rasikas also can forward authentic music concerts through forum email id of my mine, if they come across any. I will update.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

I noticed the Mrudangam artiste names for certain concerts as Gandhiraman. I guess its Ganapathiraman!

Sathej

vasanthakokilam

vganesh: I have added you in the email distribution list of calendar999 AT gmail DOT com .

Those who do not have 'edit' access to the carnatic calendar, send an email with the event details to calendar999 AT gmail DOT com The email will get to ganesh_mourthy, vganesh and me. One of us will update the calendar.

suresh_s

Post by suresh_s »

Hello all,

Having a calendar is an excellent idea, and thanks for making this happen. By sharing that with my own google calendar, I now have a single place to learn about concerts.

I see reviews for concerts not in the calendar. Can I suggest that any time we come to know of a concert, we immediately add an entry to the calendar if not already there (by either entering it oneself - if permitted - or sending an email to the right address)? And, when we post a concert review, we can update the calendar to point to the review. Later on, we can add a search function to the calendar to search by singer, raagam, venue, etc.

I can see the need to restrict edit access to a small few (at the least, to avoid duplication errors). Is it possible to designate one (volunteer) person per geographic area to add events to the calendar in their area (others in the area can email this person)? Just a thought, may be there's a simpler approach?

vasanthakokilam

suresh: Thanks for your excellent ideas on the enhancements for the use of the calendar.

The instructions for getting edit permission and for emailing the event details are in the first post of this topic. So those logistics are taken care of.

Your added layers can be done over time. It is a good idea to link from the calendar to the reviews and discussions of the same. If you would like to volunteer for back filling reviewed concerts, you are very much welcome to do that. You can include the link to the review thread in the general description section of the calendar event.

The search for ragas, compositions etc. that figured in concerts is already supported in a rough form within the forum. You can limit your searches to the Review sub forum.

But, as you wrote, linking it with the calendar has some important advantages. Richer queries and searches of this sort would then become possible. "Give me all the bhairavi compositions sung at Krishna Gana Sabha during the month of December". We need a calendar search feature where for a given "When" range and for a given "Where", follow the link in the description field and search the given search string. This is just an example. Does anyone know if Google supports this kind of a query? That will indeed be a useful thing.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

wish someone could post details of Gokulashtami series in our raiskas calender..

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

done

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

sureshvv wrote:done
wow! now it looks so full....
Many Thanks for the update of the calender!!
people like me who stay in other cities, can attend some of them, whenever we pass by chennai...

suresh_s

Post by suresh_s »

vasanthakokilam,

Thanks. I can definitely enter concert events for my area (San Francisco area in the US), unless some one's already doing it. (I'll email the admin for permission.) Also, yes, using google calendar Javascript API one can retrieve events and display those containing specific text. See this link for a sample (in the box, enter admin@rasikas.org and click on 'Retrieve').

http://gdata-javascript-client.googleco ... ample.html

vasanthakokilam

Thanks suresh_s for that link. I guess with some programming, the search from calendar into concert reviews can be done, though it may not be trivial amount of work. The query based on 'what, when and where' is straightforward if not easy. From there we need to get the link to the review and search deeper to answer the query 'list who all sang Bhairavi at KGS during the season'.

The query can actually be free form like "KGS December 2008 Bhairavi" and let the user weed out any unnecessary information returned ( like how we use google for other purposes anyway ). I do not necessarily want to write code ( at best some declarative statements to hook things up ). Somehow point Google search engine in the right direction using the calendar structured data to guide and limit the search better than the brute force way it uses today.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

vasanthakokilam . could you please check your mail at the earliest.? I have a mail sent to you. need some help .

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

The schedule at 8th cross vv mohalla mysore for ganesha chaturthi..
http://8thcrossganesha.org/program2009.php

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

can someone who has access enter the details of concerts published in "The Hindu" daily into rasikas.org calendar ??

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Rasikas calendar in tandem with Google notification rocks! I got an SMS like this today
Ramakrishnan S has added "Isai payanam with Charulatha mani @ Sat 29 Aug 6:30pm - 8:30pm in Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Main Hall Mylapore (Rasikas Calendar)" to t
Pretty slick!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

laks1972 wrote:can someone who has access enter the details of concerts published in "The Hindu" daily into rasikas.org calendar ??
Seems like you are missing the magic word!

vasanthakokilam

Suresh: Thanks for the note.

vasanthakokilam

I am pleased to see that the concert calendar is being to put to use to some extent ( http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm )

There are still quite a few concerts that do not get on the calendar. Please spread the word to the extent you can to the various sabhas you all visit so all their events can be added to the calendar on a timely basis, instead of finding out about the concert from that day's newspaper.

We need wider participation from the concert organizers and musicians so that it is beneficial to all.

As Suresh points out above, you can add this concert calendar to your calendar and set up SMS alerts etc.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm a bit behind with this, and reminding myself to look more often, but I have been finding the red squares, especially when there are several to a day, rather off-putting.

OK, so you all knew about it... I just discovered the agenda view (top right of the calendar block) which turns it into a lovely, easy-to-read listing :)

vasanthakokilam

Indeed Nick. Thanks for surfacing that point. Agenda view is the way to go.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

And, after posting that, I found that one can, in "Settings" specify it to be the default view. This may well not suit anyone who uses a personal Google Calendar to organise their appointments --- but it suits me!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Some of the events I added seem to be deleted. Is this possible or am I being paranoid? :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

This is happening definitely. Can mods please look into this?
Last edited by sureshvv on 04 Dec 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

If it is happening, someone who has been granted edit access, is abusing their privilege.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Can "A" edit/delete something "B" has entered? If so, this can be a problem. Anyway we can avoid that?

sureshvv

Re: Use the calendar for events

Post by sureshvv »

Naada Inbam May 2010 Events added to rasikas calendar.

Enjoy!

Sundar Krishnan

Re: Use the calendar for events

Post by Sundar Krishnan »

2/8/11

Post No #41 dated 25 Sep 2009 22:35 talks of this Calendar url :
http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm

But it gives the foll error :
"The requested URL /calendar.htm was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Also "calendar" : http://rasikas.org/calendar.php given in Post #1 gives the same error.

In Post #12 dt 19June, 2009, it says :
"1. Send your google ID (i.e gmail ID) to the email given in the first post above. This is only required to give you access to the Rasikas calendar."

But, in Post #1 (dt 15 Sep,06), now, I can only see a link to "calendar" : http://rasikas.org/calendar.php
Which email id is being referred to here ?
Also, where are : " "Events Calendar" on the "More features" box on the left."

Perhaps, the above were in the older template of this forum ?

Request, pl clarify the exact steps to approach this forum's "calendar" - to view and to add events respectively (add facility should be restrcited, but read access could be free for all ?).

TIA