Sangeetha Kalanidhi - M.Chandrasekaran

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 07:17

The Music Academy's awardees this year:

M Chandrasekaran - Sangitha kalanidhi
B V Raman and Seethalakshmi Venkatesan - Sangitha Kala Acharya
Pandanallur Gopalakrishnan(Bharathanatyam) and Chitravina N Ravikiran - T T K Award
N C H Krishnamacharyulu (Vijayawada) - Vaggeyakara Award

My congrats to everyone of the above, specially to Chandru mama.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 13:31

Hearty Congratulations to all the nominees!
God Bless You!

chembai
Can we have a short biographical write-up (and pictures) of these elite winners?

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 14:39

It is a well deserved long overdue award to Sri Chandrsekharan. My hearty congratulations.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 16:14

M Chandru has been to me in CM what GR Viswanath was in cricket.

Their artistry may be compared to greater performers by critics , but at the end of the day, our hearts are captured by these.

It has been my good fortune to attend so many concerts of this great artist.

two tracks i love very much .one of them is from a duet with tnk.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4500024/Moha ... a.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4499478/chan ... i.mp3.html

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 16:25

The following is a short article on M.Chandrasekaran commemorating his completion of 50 years of service to music, written in 1999 (source not known)

Fifty years of excellence in music

``Matru Devo Bhava'' this is the refrain of M. Chandrasekaran, violin vidwan, who completes 50 years as a performing artiste today. His first performance was on the same date in 1949. Chandrasekaran's reverence to his mother is next only to the devotion he has to the Almighty. He acknowledges his deep indebtedness to his mother whom he considers responsible for what he is today. He lost his sight before he was even two following an attack of jaundice; since then it was his mother Charubala Mohan who guided him in every aspect - teaching him to play the violin, sing and learn Braille, in which he can read and write Tamil, English, Sanskrit and Telugu.

Besides his mother, Chandrasekaran learnt vocal music to improve his repertoire from Mannargudi Sambasiva Bhagavatar, Kumbakonam S. Viswanathan, Vidyala Narasimha Naidu and T. Jayammal, who taught him padams and a few other well-wishers. He started playing violin as an accompanist even when he was 11 years old and later accompanied stalwarts like G. N. Balasubramaniam, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, T. R. Mahalingam (flute), Madurai Mani Iyer, Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Madurai Somasundaram T. K. Rangachari, Ramnad Krishnan and living legends Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer and Balamuralikrishna. In 1950, at the age of 13, he won the first prize in a violin competition conducted by the Music Academy, Madras.

Chandrasekaran has taught many youngsters and continues to do so. He has about 30 accomplished students, some of them leading artistes in their own right, such as his own daughter Bharathi, Kanyakumari, S. D. Sridhar and Madurai Balasubramaniam.

When Chandrasekaran is an accompanist, he openly appreciates the main artiste's performance. He absorbs everything that is sung and when he plays gives the essence in perhaps a quarter of the time, according to senior mridangam vidwan Umayalpuram Sivaraman, who has played with Chandrasekaran for about 40 years now. Sivaraman adds that this violin maestro knows the value of sahitya, its rakti and bhava and can bring all nuances and beauty in his violin and make the rasika visualise the raga devata dancing in front of him. He is an expert in the laya aspects too. He has an inner eye, as it were, through which he can see any intricacy in tala and play accordingly. Being a good vocalist - he presents vocal concerts too once in a while - he sometimes sings along during his violin solo concerts, making it easy for the listener to appreciate. Agreeing with these points senior violin vidwan M. S. Anantharaman, who has known Chandrasekaran since he was seven years old, adds that he had come up in life through dedication, concentration and hard work and deserves all the praise and honour.

Chandrasekaran feels that playing accompaniment helps to improve the violinist's knowledge as he/she is exposed to the talent and skill of different artistes. His favourite musician has been G. N. Balasubramaniam, particularly his style of singing ragas. Chandrasekaran confesses that he cannot avoid using some `sangatis' of GNB when he plays or sings. Similarly, he was very fond of the style of playing tanam by veena vidwan Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer and had longed to play like him. He also used to like the raga alapana in the nadaswaram technique and enjoyed listening to T. N. Rajaratnam Pillai and Karukurichi Arunachalam. He recalls with pride how TNR performed for his wedding and asked Chandrasekaran also to play and how he was so pleased with his essay of raga Kadanakutuhalam and blessed him affectionately.

A couple of other occasions remembered fondly by him are his playing along with Dwaram Venkataswami Naidu and accompanying M. D. Ramanathan at the residence of late President Dr. S. Radhakrishnan. Chandrasekaran is an admirer of Ramanathan for the depth in his music.

Chandrasekaran founded last year on September 12, the Charubala Mohan Trust. He wishes to organise concerts for good artistes who are not able to get adequate opportunities. Every year the Trust would confer titles on talented artistes. ``Veena Nadamani'' and ``Sangeetha Visarada'' were conferred on Ravindran and A. S. Panchapakesan last year, and this year on the occasion of his golden jubilee ``Violin Nadamani'' would be conferred on Kandadevi Alagiriswami.

Chandrasekaran is a recipient of several honours - Sangeet Natak Akademi award (1986), Mysore Chowdiah National award (1989), Astana Vidwan of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam (1993), Kalaimamani from the Government of Tamil Nadu, Sangeetha Choodamani and so many more. He was a visiting faculty at the Palghat Music College.

Chandrasekaran has also composed varnams and kritis in different languages. His music has enthralled rasikas in the U.S., England, Canada, Malaysia and Singapore.

The golden jubilee of Chandrasekaran's service to the performing art is being celebrated by his children and devotees today.

Regarding B.V.Raman, here's the only info I could locate:
http://www.sangeetham.com/others/m_perd ... person=195

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 16:47

Smt. Seethalakshmi Venkateshan

Born on 12th June 1926, Seetha was trained in Carnatic Classical Vocal music by Sri Palghat Vaidyanatha Iyer, Sri K S Narayana Swamy Iyer, Veena Vidwan Sri Tanjore V Sankaran and SriSemmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer. An "A" grade artiste in Carnatic Vocal music, A.I.R. Bangalore, she has performed in all kendras of A.I.R. all over the country. She has also performed in the Radio Sangeet Sammelan 1984 at Trivandrum,Sangeet Sammelan 1986, Madras and on T.V. in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Delhi.Her performances have been acclaimed at Gana Samaja, Bangalore,Mallshwaram Sangeetha Sabha, Sri Krishna Sabha, Nada Bramha Sangeetha Sabha, Bangalore Tamil Sangam, Kalaradhana, Ranjani, and in most sabhas in Karnataka. Out side Bangalore, she has performed at The Music Academy, Madras. Indian Fine Arts Society, Madras, Tamil Issai Sangam, Madras, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Madras Karnataka sangha, Ananthapur, Palghat Fine Arts Society, Palghat Goshti Gana Sabha, Ernakulam, Rasikapriyam, Madurai Music Triangle, Bombay, Bharatiya Fine Arts Society, Bombay Sri Shanmughananda Fine Arts and Sangeetha Sabha, Bombay.

She gives regular recitals at Sri Ram Navami and Sri Ganesha Chaturturthy festivals throughout Karnataka. Her numerous titles and awards are:
Gana Saraswathi conferred in 1978 by T.T. Devasthanam.
Gold medalist(1957) awarded by Music Academy, Madras for Swathi Thirunal Compositions.
Best Junior Musician (1957), awarded by Music Academy, Madras.
Best Sub-Senior Musician(1977), awarded by Music Academy, Madras,and awarded D.K.Pattamal prize.
Ganakala Prapurne conferred in 1983 by Hamsadhwani Gana Sabha, Bangalore.
Felicitated by Karnataka Gana Kala Parishad in 1987.
Awarded the "Sangeetha Ratna Chowdiah Memorial Award" in 1995.
Awarded "Sangeetha Raga Nidhi" by Ramakrishna Bhajana Sabha.
"Kalajyothi" by Nadajyothi Sabha.
Swara Bhooshani" by Swara Lipi Samsthana.

Seetha has been teaching music to several students for the past ten years of which many students are regular performers at A.I.R. and other occasions. She has completed 55 years of singing.

Source: http://www.thehorizons.com/music/seethalv/bio.htm

Post by Guest »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 20:57

Thanks for the briefing

coolkarni
Knowing "chandru" is a very close friend of yours, do please share with us special anecdotes as well as musical snippets (perhaps even a full concert (am I being avaricious )!

Post by Guest »

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 09:52

Kuljkarniji, I like the GRV comparision. To me personally, the GRV of carnatic music is MVI !

I have heard some superb MC performances. His vocal concerts are also very good. This is indeed a well and truly deserving award.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 15:52

Here is a recording of M.Chandrasekaran accompanying Yesudas in 1974 at Bangalore. The mridangist is TVG. MC says "Aaha" at a few places.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4537848/Muru ... a.mp3.html

Post by Guest »

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 18:35

chembai

Where is chandru in this clip? There is not even a aalaapana!
Am I missing something?

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 04:51

Hehe, no this clip does not have an alapana. I will upload another one which does.

I uploaded it for the "Aha"s. Very interesting to note the number of times he appreciates his junior musicians.

Besides I liked this song.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 05:02

Sadist

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 07:47

Coolkarniji,

I guess we should visit MC's house, time and convenience permitting. I remember you pointed at his house en route to Smt Pattammal's house . At that time we could not have guessed he would get this honour.

We should convey to him somehow that it is rare for a consensus in the selection of SK award, and that in his case, we are all mighty happy he has got it this year.

I undertake to sponsor any good gift we decide to present, should we get to visit him.

There is no hurry so we can plan the visit appropriately. Maybe we can also invite others in Chennai who may wish to join us... it will be easier for our NRI friends in this forum to accompany us if we schedule the visit for late November or December.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 08:57

srkris.

you bet i will make it more memorable this time by inviting a rare character to accompany us .a 75 year old friend called ygsundar, who runs a bhajan group -surmandal-, where mc's daughter in law also is a member.so getting an invitation should be easy.
we can have nice anecdotes of how ygs was the tanpura artist for bgak-yes bgak, or how he watched 1000 people sitting in an open air concet of mohd rafi (ygs played tabla for him that day) in pouring rain , with not one soul opting to run for shelter, as rafi saab was peaking in his concert.

i am certainly looking forward to it...
your choice of nov/dec is very apt.hope more people join.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 09:03

I am feeling quite glad I opened this forum, since it is a privelege to have people like you posting such great stuff like the above, which I have no way of knowing otherwise!

A big big personal thanks to you, cml, drs, raja chandra, lakshman, divakar, meena, rshankar, chitra, inconsequential and the scores of others who post such interesting and educative stuff.

I am quite charged up already for the visit.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 15:15

We are not privy to the plot that is hatching. When you honour a CM great it is on behalf of all of us. We must contribute to the gift. Pl try to activate a Paypal acount! Our action should speak louder than our words!

Post by Guest »

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 05:43

an excerpt from a dkj-m Chandru-UKS Concert

http://rapidshare.de/files/4591836/dkj_ ... 1.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4592422/dkj_ ... 2.mp3.html

will try to cover a range of vocal concerts with Chandru on the violin before putting up his duet with TNK.

Post by Guest »

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 14:18

coolkarni

Do not spare Chandru's brush-ups with HM which should be quite interesting! Also this is the right time to unload your accumulated anecdotes on him

Can we also have samples of BV Raman (and Lakshman) too who are the finest gift of Andhra to CM

Post by Guest »

Posted: 03 Sep 2005 07:39

Here is the alapana I promised. It is Charukesi Ragam, and from the same concert of Yesudas-Chandru-TVG in 1974

http://rapidshare.de/files/4668916/Charukesi.mp3.html

Post by Guest »

Posted: 05 Sep 2005 05:59

I was not aware that BVR-BVL are from Andhra. AFAIK, they were born in Gooty but are from Tamilnadu. I think the B is for Bhavani - a place near Salem??

Post by Guest »

Posted: 11 Sep 2005 05:48
Do not spare Chandru's brush-ups with HM which should be quite interesting!
I have found that the best way to understand MC's HM Links is through renderings in the common ragas(krithis or RTPs) where he has accompanied.

I start with a TRS Clip -at academy- of shubhapanthuvarali
http://rapidshare.de/files/4962528/02-E ... I.MP3.html

also a filmi clip in the HM Equivalent Todi.
http://rapidshare.de/files/4963803/a1-T ... e.mp3.html

Please keep me informed if this is OK to understand MC better .Or if I should Change the method (One may not get to hear pure HM Renderings -unless srkris convinces him to play for us on the day we meet him )

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 16:14

M Chandru has been to me in CM what GR Viswanath was in cricket.

Their artistry may be compared to greater performers by critics , but at the end of the day, our hearts are captured by these.

It has been my good fortune to attend so many concerts of this great artist.

two tracks i love very much .one of them is from a duet with tnk.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4500024/Moha ... a.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4499478/chan ... i.mp3.html
Mr Coolkarni,

Grateful if you would upload these files once again as I too enjoy his playing the violin so well. Alternatively, you may send the clips to kaumaaram@gmail.com.

Kaumaaram

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Dear all,

Strangely, I have do not have much of MC's solo performances with me. Grateful if any one of you could share yours. I have attended his concerts, but never had the opportunity to record them.

Kaumaaram Sivakumar T

mantra

Post by mantra »

Can someone repost the KJY_MC_TVG concert in 1974?
Thanks
Shyam

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Shyam (mantra), the KJY piece was not a full concert. I will try posting it again, though not immediately, but once I get some free time.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Dear Coolkarni

Sometime back I had made a request that you may kindly upload the TNK-MC duet. May I request you to do so if you are through with your shifting process?

Regards

Kaumaaram

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kaumaram.
you should expect uploads only by end jan.I am stuck in a new place where tel companies do not want to give me a broadband connection until a fllyover work nearby is completed.
May be i can give it you in person when we meet ..