Sanjay Subramanian, NGS 02/06/11

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
ganeshkant

Sanjay Subramanian, NGS 02/06/11

Post by ganeshkant »

As many of you may know this concert was held on TSK's 81st birth day .

I didn't take notes.Hope some one furnishes the correct list.

1.Begada Tamizh varnam.
2.Song on Ganapati in KalAvathi
3.O rajeevAkshA - Arabhi
4.A song in rAgam Karasree ( a dvimadhyama rAgam notated by TSK)
5.SundareshwarAya namastE - SankarAbharanam
7.a song in kApi
8.uppum karpUramum viruththam in Sind bhairavi followed by a song of GKB in that rAgam.

I think this must be one of the bests of SS.It was spectacular and I consider myself really lucky to have attended this concert yesterday.

NAgai Muralidharan & RAja Rao supported the main artist tastefully and made the concert a great success.

AhA....what a performance ! :P :D

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subramanian, NGS 02/06/11

Post by rajeshnat »

ganeshkant wrote: 4.A song in rAgam Karasree ( a dvimadhyama rAgam notated by TSK)
I think the name of dwimadhyama rAgam that Shri SKR notated Is Suryashree .Some one can correct if I am wrong

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

The name of the ragam that SKR notated and which was given to Sanjay was Karasri derived from Karaharapriya (mela 22)

Dwi Madhyama Mela comprising 36 ragams was discovered by Tanjore S. Kalyanaraman and he has notated various other ragams like Kanakasri, Vanasri, Suryasri, Dheerasri, Hanumasri and all others. SKR has also presented a paper on this all over india including Music Academy in which he as sung a few of his Dwi Madhyama Compositions.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

81st Birthday celebrations of 'Sunadha Vinodhan' Shri Thanjavur S Kalyanaraman

The function arranged by SKR trust in association with Shanmukapriya took place at NGS on 2nd June. Some of the interesting items noted are listed below.
The function started exactly at 17 00 hrs.
Ms Brindha Venkataramani welcomed the gathering and the distinguished guests .
She mentioned that Music is enough for life time but life time is not enough for the music.
While welcoming the gathering an appeal was made to the press and media to cover the function extensively.
Invocation song was by Sruthi Girish 12yrs old daughter of Gayathri Girish.
Neethan thunai a ragamalika krithi tuned by Thanjavur SKR in Nilambari, Manohari, Vasantha bhairavi, Gowrimanohari, Saraswathi, Sriranjani, Mohana kalyani, Durga and Jothiswaroopini.
A Navaraga Malika set to tune by SKR was sung. ' Mara kodi ' Bhowli, Ethukulakambodhi, Bilahari, Hamsanandhi, Kamaz and sindhu bhairavi [ corrections are invited] by the Desciples of Bhushani Kalyana raman with Hema malini on Viloin and Kumbakonam Swaminathan on Mirudhangam.
Slokam in suruti with a cymbal .
It was mentioned that few years back SKR's senior disciples sang these pieces and after a lapse of few years the younger generation now presented it to rasikas.
An Audio visual of 20 mts duration on SKR produced by SB Kanthan was screened.
S/S MSG, VVS, Yagnanaraman, Guruvayur Durai, Srimushnam, Karaikudi Mani, NGS Subramaniam, , Sanjai, Ghatam Karthik,Anuradha Sriram all spoke about the greatness of SKR in the documentary. SBKanthan mentioned that a visual was made already in 2008 and this one is an addtion to that . In that Doc Shri MSG mentioned that SKR was an expert in Nasika Bhooshani and Jothiswaroopini. Unless one has special practice handling of such rare ragas is not possible. Guruvayur mentioned that while travlling in a car for a concert in Andhra he was murmuring Bhavani and sang this raga elaborately in that concert. VVS mentioned that 'Kanda naal mudhalal' in Madhuvanthi is still ringering in his mind. Srimushnam mentioned that SKR was unique in the distribution of sanmaanam and his a/c books were always open. Anuradha mentioned that his Chalasri piece Venkatachala Srinivasa is excellent. He used to finish with Dhanasri raga in every concert.

The stage set for the felicitation at 18 00 hrs and RK of NGS, NSubramaniam of Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust, M Chandrasekaran and Sanjai took the chair. After garlanding and shawl ceremony all spoke few words about the greatness of SKR

Brindha Venkataraman of Shanumukanada Sabha

Through Nada yogam he attained mukthi.

Sanjai has taken up Nadha sankalpam and he is strictly following his steps.

NGS SK read out the citation and honoured Sanjai with Golden shawl and a cash award. Sanjai is the vital link and continuity, and took up the challenge when there was a big question mark about the condition of classical music. Sanjai is a standard by himself and keeps the value of the music in tact.

As far SKR was concerned he was an innovative musician. This is quite evident since musicians applauded his music in the AV presentation.

As a sabha secretary he used to get good feed back about Sanjai's concertts. He reminds KVN on stage from start till end. He has traditional music like KVN.

He had been invited as a stop gap arrangement since VC of Chennai University could not make out today and cancelled his visit here.

MC received the first copy of the CD 'Keetharthamulu' by Sanjai

Srimushnam honoured Sanjai with shawl on his getting award from SKR Trust

M Chandrasekar

Right from prayer the programme is meticulously planned and executed.

From 1960 onwards he has been playing SKR and the first concert was at Pune.

He used to sing rare ragas as a well known common raga in concerts.

Playing violin to SKR was not easy.

Madhuvanthi he is still playing and constantly listening to his renderings every now and then.

His was a Manodharma sangeetham

Sanjai has full blessings of SKR

Sanjai Subramaniam

This trust was started in 1995 by Calcutta Krishna moorthy

All artistes are working hard presently for catering the needs of Rasikas.

SKR was first an analyst and he will put in the efforts to offer excellent music to rasikas.

Rasikas appreciation and feed back are expected by Artistes.

He is constatantly listening to SKR's thillana , other rare raga and vivadhi raga tapes for perfection.

Vote of thanks by Bhushani Kalyanaraman

She covered each and everyone in bringing success to the smooth conduct of this function.

The function was well organised and the hall was full . ARS, Kaathadi Ramamoorthy and few Artistes associated with silver and small screen were present. A humble request to SB Kanthan . If commercially not hurt, will it be possible to upload the Documentary in the forum sothat all can have the pleasure of viewing and enjoying the sweet memories of Thanjavur SKR? My write up may not be complete and there can be incorrect information and omission. Kindly bear with me .

Thanjavooran 03 06 2011

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sri Thanjavooran avl. Thank you for your comprehensive write-up. I wish I could have been there.

Is the documentary different from the DVD that was released a couple of years ago? This DVD directed by SB Kanthan and produced by Sanskriti is available commercially. You can get it online from http://www.kalakendra.com/shopping/suna ... -1671.html.

The new CD of Sri SKR that you mention "Geetharthamu" is also available for purchase on that site.

There is a posting of this in the SKR thread in "Vidwans and Vidushis", but I am cross-posting here. Sanjay's blog has some recollections of SKR added in the context of this event. Please see: http://sanjaysub.blogspot.com. There are also videos of the concert there.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for that detailed word picture!
thanjavooran wrote: Invocation song was by Sruthi Girish 12yrs old daughter of Gayathri Girish.
A small correction. Her name is Vishruthi.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Who are the leading disciples of Tajore S Kalyanaraman ?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

G_G: I would list Smt Bhushani, Smt Brinda V (mentioned in Sri Thanjavooran's post, who is also the mother of violinist V Sanjeev), Prof Gowri Kuppuswamy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Saz5S9OgI), Anuradha Sriram (who also studied with T Viswa at Wesleyan and KVN) and S Mathangi (http://www.kalakendra.com/shopping/gnan ... p-741.html) as his primary disciples.

Except for Bhushany & perhaps Anu Sriram, most of the others did not have significant concert careers. Anu Sriram is of course better known for her forays in the pop/film world; and the jugalbandis with her husband.

Not sure if there are any others. But SKR has become a cult figure after his death. Many students of music now consider him a mAnaseeka guru.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Let me continue where Sri.Tanjavooran left.
Sanjay gave a very good concert in NGS yesterday. It was in connection with the 81st Birth Anniversary of Sri.S.Kalyanaraman.
It was a well conducted and attended concert. The stage setting was aesthetic. Good to see the almost full crowd on a working day.
Sri.Sanjay Subramanian
Sri.Nagai Muralidharan
Sri. Srimushnam Raja Rao
Sri. K.V.Gopalakrishnan-Ganjira

1) Sariyo nee seyyum tAmadham en pAl.. – VarNam- Begada-Tiger Varadacharyar
2) Siddhi VinAyakane undhan-Kalavati- Kavi Kunjara Barati- Swaram in Sidhi Vinayakane..
3) Raag- Arabhi followed by “Oh RajeevAksha” - Thyagarajar
4) Raag- Karashree followed by “Chadrasekhara Shri kantapriya manolAsini” – kriti by D.Krishnaswamy Iyengar- Swaram in “Chandrasekhara”
5) Main- Shankarabharanam – “SundareswarAya Namaste sadAnandAya –soma”- Dikshitar-swaram in “SundareswarAya”
6) Tani
7) Sindubhairavi – 3 min raga- “Iduvo Tillai”- GKB
8 ) Hario hari- HKB on Kapi
9) Mangalam
Sanjay was not “brilliant” as he was in the last Hyderabad concert. ( I could hear his Mukhari raag followed by “Sivakamasundari”. That “force” was missing in this concert.) Nevertheless, rasikas in and out of Mylapore had been starving for a good concert and May month’s heat also took the energy out , it was a real sort of “Glucose” concert. (Malladi Brothers also did not “LIKE” Mylapore and give couple of concerts in KGS and West Mambalam last month !!!.)
The “Oh NOs” are- “No Neraval for any of the Kritis and surprisingly, in Tani, Ganjira was missing during the last lap and Srimushnam was playing alone. Don’t know what happened to KVG !!!!!. But KVG’s repeat for his “kaNakkus” for Sanjay swara korvai in S’Kbm was class.
The best parts are
His “Karashree” raag which was nurturned by Shri SK and notation was given by V.Sanjeev (who was also present in the concert. Giving the details of the raga, Sanjay added “It was the easiest one and all the difficult kritis were already familiarised by Shri S.K” amidst laugh.
He mentioned about Nagai’s and Srimushnam’s contribution in bringing his music journey to this level interluding Shri S K’s inputs in to his concerts. To bring Vivadi ragas and mastering it in the concert was the input and teachings from these two.
Merit mention about his Shankarabharanam Swaram and Nagai’s return. Simply superb.
Though it was 2 hours ten min concert, it was real curtain raiser for some more forthcoming concerts.
Nagai is "as usual" brilliant. His "Karashree" return is better than Sanjay's rendition. Sanjay enjoed each and
every bit of his return and "a big" besh at the end.....
Last edited by grsastrigal on 05 Jun 2011, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Grsastrigal, thank you for the additional details of the concert.
I am surprised that there were no niravals. It is ironic since SKR, to my mind, was the king of brigha-laden niravals.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Can someone shed some light on the rAga 'karashree'?
Lji, do have the lyrics for candraSEkhara SrIkaNTha manOlAsini?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

GRS, Is it Karashree or Kalashree ? If it is the latter, it is a combination of Kalavati and Rageshri created by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi as seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViMk88PhTM

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VK: I believe it is karasree, as per Sanjay's blog report on it.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Mahavishnu Avl,
Answer to your querry ' Is the documentary different from the DVD that was released a couple of years ago? '

Yes. SB Kanthan in his speech mentioned that this is a new one and was wondering why there should be another Documentary when there is one already released. Only after total involvement in production he found out that this 20 mts documentary is not sufficient and had left lot of interesting episodes connected with SKR and will continue further in due course.

Thanjavooran 04 06 2011

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

For those of you who want to know the Dwi Madhyama Panchama Varja ragam names, here they are..

Kanakasri
Rathnasri
Ganasri
Vanasri
Manasri
Thanasri
Sunadasri
Hanumasri
Dhensri
Natakasri
Kokilasri
Roopasri
Gayakasri
Vakulasri
Mayasri
Chakrasri
Suryasri
Hatasri
Jhankarasri
Natasri
Kiranasri
Karasri
Gowrisri
Varunasri
Maarasri
Charusri
Sarasri
Harisri
Dheerasri
Nagasri
Yagasri
Ragasri
Gangasri
Vaagasri
Soolasri
Chalasri

This is the concept introduced by SKR

For all the first 36 ragams in the 72 melakartha, the prathi madhyamam is added and the panchama is omitted. This becomes the Dwi Madhyama Panchama Varja Melam.

V Sanjeev

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sri Sanjeev: Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your valued input in other discussions also!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjeev ,Warm welcome to the forum. Nice to know the list of all 36 dwimadhyama ragas.

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

Thanks!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Welcome, Sanjeev!
The list is impressive and the names sound lovely to the ears. Who knows! My grandchildren may not be intimidated by them (or resist them resolutely as some do, even of mElakartA rAgams today!). They may feel at home with them as if they're familiar rAgams! It's happening to the mElakartA rAgams now. Some very traditional musicians (and rasikAs too?) forget is that some rAgams which they like to listen to and sing too are familiar to them because even the very traditional musicians (their role models) took them up here and there. They overlook their not being a bhairavi or SankarAbharaNAm and happily sing them without any protest! Is it because of familiarity? Even with someone like me who lives in a culture where jeans are traditional wear, when I first saw young women wearing them in Chennai, it was a cultural shock!
As these rAgams become more familiar, they will be accepted more. Again, no need to panic as though the traditional rAgams are going to be abandoned! It's the same kind of irrational fear some have that by singing other composers, the Trinity is going to be abandoned ;)
How easy these rAgams are going to be when you take them up is also something we have to wait and see.

Sanjeev,
We already have another very talented, charming artiste from your family at Rasikas.org. Good to hear that young Vishruthi sang the invocation ;) It seems to have been a lovely event, the celebration of the birthday of a one of a kind vidvan like Tanjavur Kalyanaraman. The stage decor was pleasing to the eyes. My only question is: how did the pictures and video turn out? Did the white backdrop take away the sharpness of the images?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome Sanjeev! I am looking forward to an upload of clips from this concert to YouTube to experience the rAga. Any idea who composed the song, and was it Sri TKR who set it to music?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
gsastrigal's post says that it's a composition of D. Krishnaswami Iyer.

Wonder if Sanjeev too went to your school!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

No, he did not.

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

The lyrics for the song was by D Krishnaswami Iyengar and the song was set to tune by SKR. There are several songs of D.K Iyengar that were set to tune by SKR. SKR and DK Iyengar were very close friends and DK Iyengar was not a musician but a great rasika of SKR's music.

Some songs of DK Iyengar tuned by SKR that happen to be very popular today are

Maaruthi varuvaan in Sud Saarang
Kannanin kallam ariyaen in neelamani
Appane aiyappane in nadanaamakriya
Mantralaya nidhiye in patdheep

And many many more

I'll upload the 20 minute audio visual treat in youtube shortly.

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

Also DK Iyengar was a great physicist and mathematician. He has also made immense contribution in the works of Shri TK Govinda Rao's Thyagaraja compositions book towards English translations.

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

Thanks Arasi!

The images have come out well and I will post them in a day or two.

And you are right, handling any ragam is about familiarity. In fact, Initially when I first tried to sing Chalasri after knowing it's arohanam and avarohanam, I was not abe to conceive it at all. It sounded very odd to me. But after I heard SKR's rendition, the ease with which he has sung it made be like it and it no longer sounds odd to me. Now I am able to conceive this rag am very well.

kartik

Post by kartik »

SK used to sing great raga alapanas for relatively "minor" ragams, those which are generally perceived as ragas with "not much scope", he proved time and again that it is fertility of imagination that is important. Some of the raga alapnas I particularly liked are Chandrajyoti, Deepali, Amrutabehag-the latter being a substantial alapana, and of course his mastery of vivadi ragas and their presentation.

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2090377.ece
A review of the same concert which came in "The Hindu"

Pramod

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

The Hindu gets it wrong again! And G. Swaminathan is actually one of their better reviewers :(

The whole point of singing Karasri was because it is a Dwi-madhyama panchama varjya raga, an SKR specialty. The reviewer calls it a Pratimadhyama raga, which misses the whole point. Even if it was written inadvertently, isn't this something that you would expect him to proof at least once before submitting?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramesh, of late Hindu and proof reading seem to share the same frosty relationship as amAvAsai and Abdul Khader!

vasanthakokilam

MV, Going out on a limb, the reviewer may have intended to use "pratimadyama panchamavarjya raga' to mean that the pratimadyamam is taking the place of panchamam thus making it varjya. I am going with that interpretation since M2 without P is not really anything new. I agree his terminology is odd and not a clear representation of what it is and it is quite possible it was a typo like you wrote. But Dwi-madhyama panchama varjya is also not the correct characterization of what it is, since the M2 is really there in place of P. So we need a word for "replaces" to represent Pratimadhyama "replaces" Panchama, in addition to dwi-madhyama. May sound nit-picky but...the significance of this over dwi-M can be seen when the "replaces" concept is applied when M1 is not there.

Appropo, in SKR's vision, the predominant lakshaNa and lakshaya are carried in that concept of M2 taking the place of ( replacing ) P. M1 just happens to be there as part of the sampoorna mela structure and so the dwi-madhyama aspect is really a secondary and derived concept. I personally like that minimalistic view. To see this, stepping outside of SKR's work, at a conceptual level, this "M2 replacing P" maneuver minimally explains the relationship of the ArOhaNa between Ranjani (S R2 G2 M2 D2 S) and Sivaranjani (S R2 G2 P D2 S ). I like this since it puts the lakshaNa similarity/differences in the same magnitude/level as the lakshaya similarity/differences ( for the ArOhaNakrama )

MV

Post by MV »

rshankar... I haven't heard your Amavasai comparison in a while and it had me rolling with laughter.. :grin:
Sounds like a fabulous concert. Hope it comes out on CD

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VK: I agree. However, the way it sounds is that there is an M2 and no Pa; which is the trivial solution. Ranjani would fit this description of "pratimadhyama panchama varjya" more than adequately (unless I am missing something).

But the reason these ragas are difficult (both to sing and identify) is not just the lack of a clearly defined full or half-step to the fifth, but that having M1 and M2 is equally uncommon in this system.

vasanthakokilam

>Ranjani would fit this description of "pratimadhyama panchama varjya" more than adequately (unless I am missing something).

Yes, definitely, when viewed stand alone. But in the context of comparison with Sivaranjani, a description of 'M2 replacing P' brings them together much more than if sivaranjani is viewed on the right side of the mela kartha chart and ranjani on the left hand side of the chart!! ( so to speak ).

On the SKR's ragas, I agree having M1 and M2 in the scale is uncommon and creates difficulties. And singing them next to each other without creating vivadi like effects is a creative challenge in the aesthetic domain.

The "replaces" idea sets up the challenges and potential pay-offs in a different dimension. With "replaces", M2 really belongs in the uttaranga and not in the purvanga. In the usual pratimadyama based 36 mela kartha ragas, the M2 is in the purvanga. So the treatment of M2 is like a P and the M1 and M2 in sequence needs to happen only when the purvAnga-uttarAnga divide needs to be crossed with a bridge prayOgA. Even there, singing them next to each other is not mandatory ( given Arun's rules ). More significantly though, consider the purvanga-uttaranga symmetry ragas like S'bharanam, Thodi, MMgowla, Kharaharapriya etc. Interestingly, majority of our popular ragas come from these complexes. In this new setup, if we want to explore a similar P-U symmetry, the scale may not reach the upper S and the some intervals in the uttaranga may be vivadi. The conflicts in such aesthetic parameters is fascinating. How will the inter-quadrant symmetry aesthetics interplay with the uttaranga vivadi aesthetics!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

MV wrote:rshankar... I haven't heard your Amavasai comparison in a while and it had me rolling with laughter.. :grin:
Sounds like a fabulous concert. Hope it comes out on CD
Another quote, we are familiar with, is:
'gOkulAshTami and gulAm khAder'. :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VK, this is brilliant. There are also some very interesting discussions to be had about the stability of perception of ragams.

So, Kharasree is kharaharapriya S R2 G2 M1 P D2 N2 S that becomes S R2 G2 M1 M2 D2 N2 S. Now, people in the audience claim to have heard something with a chakravakam feel; which is S R1 G3 M1 P D2 N2 S. On Sanjay's blog, he says that it is quite possible that you hear something like chakravakam! There seems to be a subtle shift in the scale where the notes seem to have aligned themselves with M2 as the fifth with minor shifts that make the overall configuration stable to the auditory system.

Here's my primitive two bit theory of this: Once a listener builds an expectancy structure for a ragam, I would guess that there are auditory attractor dynamics that lead to a stable solution for a certain configuration set for that given ragam (this could be based on aro-avaroham or ragalakshana). When this configuration set is violated with the unexpected M2, the brain tries to resolve this conflict with the nearest approximation. But the global dynamics of this will be unstable, so a seasoned chakravakam expert will never settle on this solution. And thus will not be comfortable with the strange M2 sitting there, until they build an expectancy structure for kharasree.

Now I am dying to get my hands on the SKR demo that was posted on the dwimadhyama ragas thread some years ago. The link is now broken and I hope someone like Vid. Sri Sanjeev can post this here and educate us more on the intricacies of performing dwimadhyama ragams.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

"Another quote, we are familiar with, is:
'gOkulAshTami and gulAm khAder':

This quotation was used with different connotation when KGS first introduced Sheik Chinnamoulana in their annual Gokulashtami concerts.

arunk

Post by arunk »

A possibly simpler explanation for the similarity to chakravaham is that it is the graha-bedham equivalent of karasri when you take M1 as S Sa. Thus if M1 is accentuated a lot (as in given a lot of karvai, used as pivot point in alapana), it may be possible for us to get shades of cakravaham particularly since in this shift, original sa becomes pa which would still maintain consonance with the tampura sruthi i.e. tampura sruthi becomes pa - a "somewhat meaningful" shift to our auditory sense. Thus some of us may sub-consciously do a graha-bedham even when it isnt conciously applied by the musician.

Arun

vasanthakokilam

Interesting MV and Arun. Thanks. So, the unexpected presence of M2 forces our brain to look for even weaker clues than normal to latch on to the new tonic/graha bheda and thus take us to a familiar place and a feeling of 'everything is alright'!! I bet it actually works the other way, it matches to the familiar melody type first and then does the mechanical things like perception of the shift in tonic etc. to make the illusion fit together consistently. It will be interesting if someone hears Kharasree a lot, the less the chances of matching to chakravaham since Kharasree swaroopa itself would be in the bank for the brain to treat it as the closest match.

If some kharasree prayogas do not use N2, it will be interesting to see if we hear malayamarutham.

MV

Post by MV »

kunthalavarali wrote:"Another quote, we are familiar with, is:
'gOkulAshTami and gulAm khAder':

This quotation was used with different connotation when KGS first introduced Sheik Chinnamoulana in their annual Gokulashtami concerts.
punarvasu and kuntalavarali... :) Our family favourite used to be Mohammed Azharuddin & Amavasai ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

amAvAsai and Abdul KAdar is the version I've heard!
Wait a second! amAvAsaiyum Abdul KalAmum! That sounds fine to me. He'd be playing his vINA on mALaya amAvAsai like Chinna Maula sahib on gOkulAshTami ;)

vasanthakokilam

Ah.. good one, Arasi. ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sanvenk78 - Thanks for that information of Sri Iyengar.

sanvenk78

Post by sanvenk78 »

I am yet to post the 20 minute video presentation that we did. That contains a rendition of chalasri by Sri SKR. You'll notice that it has no correlation to whatever ragam you can think of. It will have a unique flavour. Will be surely posting it sometime next week in youtube.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meanwhile, Our own cpblog has added to the celebration of the music of Kalyanaraman by bringing to us his concert from Parvathy, Mysore (1973 concert, MSG, Tiruchy Sankaran accompanying). What a treat! Find it in the Vidwans and Vidushis Section.
Thanks, cpblog, for this and for the recently posted KVN concert!

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

arasi wrote:Meanwhile, Our own cpblog has added to the celebration of the music of Kalyanaraman by bringing to us his concert from Parvathy, Mysore (1973 concert, MSG, Tiruchy Sankaran accompanying). What a treat! Find it in the Vidwans and Vidushis Section.
Thanks, cpblog, for this and for the recently posted KVN concert!
I suppose the Mridangist was Guru Karaikudi Mani and H.P Ramachar on Khanjira accompanying SKR.

Regards,
Pramod

arasi

Post by arasi »

Pramod,
Thanks for correcting me.
How young Ramachar looks!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone know where these pancama varja rAgA compositions are available? Thanks.