Ranjani & Gayathri, Rani Seethai Hall, Dec 23 2005

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I had to attend this concert after about an hour of its start, since I could not leave work sooner.

By the time I entered, they had started singing Thodi raga, with the younger sister dominating on account of her powerful voice and deeper involvement. The song was "Emi Jesithe Nemi". Although I felt the kriti rendition was nothing more than satisfying, the swaraprastara was brisk and had some nice phrasings.

The thani avarthanam between Arun Prakash and Udupi Sridhar was good, the theermanam being quite interesting.

The popular kriti Nenarunchinanu (Malavi) was rendered with much finesse and evoked a lot of appreciation from everyone. Sangati after sangati flowed with effortless ease.

The RTP was in Gowrimanohari (with a long taanam). The Pallavi "Velane Shiva Balane, Kaatharula Tharunam Idhu" was set to Adi (chatusra triputa) for purvanga and tisra triputa for uttaranga followed by ragamalika swaras.

The post pallavi segment had a nice viruttam and a song on Lord Shiva (I couldn't identify it) followed by the mangalam... a full 3 hours from 6.15 to 9.15PM.

I felt the mike volumes were not balanced, besides the violin and mridangam sounded a bit jarring... with Arun Prakash's forceful style, the mic should better be tuned to a low volume if any semblance of sowkhya is to be expected.

If someone else attended yesterday's concert, please post a review of the proceedings of the first hour which I missed. Thanks.