Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

#1 Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by rajeshnat » 03 Jan 2014, 16:39

Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014
--------------------------------------------
Violin : Ambi Subramaniam
Mrudangam : UmayAlpuram K Sivaraman
Kanjira : BS Sundarkumar

Concert Type : Morning - 11:10 to 12:55 Morning
Day/Duration : Monday(New Years day)/ 1 hr and 45 mins
Crowd : Non Ticketed Free concert - about max of 200 .

1. sAmi ninnE kOri - shree ragam - karur Devudu Iyer

2. gaNapathi Sharanam (RS) - vijayshri - L Subramaniam
3. shripathE (R,S) - nagaswarAli - T
10 mins alapana and 10 mins swaras

4A. rAve Himagiri KumAri (swarajati)(R) - todi - SS
9 mins alapana
4B. tani for 16 mins

5. paridAnammichiTTE - bilahari - Patnam
6. enna thavam (R) - kApi - psivan

Many years back I loved to hear the finest violin meastro Lalgudi Jayaraman Sir on a new year day or go to some thamizh drama .The aspect of new year as a special day is just lost on me . I just view it as another day off , but definitely there are sabhas which invite violin artists to perform on a new year day.

The concert was advertised at 10 15 AM start Time. I went on time , but SKGS Mornings have always some namasankeerthanam goshti performing before . The performers ended with a chorus chant of radhE krishna with an half an hour delay that gives a tingle down my spine .A lot of them walked out with an extra crowd watching in the LCD . My mind has been recently working like a catholic evangelist outside a tiruvarur temple . HOw can we harvest this Goshti and will they take a short break then go inside for the carnatic concert .

In the front hallway two lines was building up one for a portrait of RadhE krishnA - skipped that. There was another line for laddu - obviously went there and grabbed laddu . The evangelist that I am waited for my first prey.One of my ex collegue who is within a 1 km radius - he is a west mambalam tambras.

Few years back I gave him 4 cds worth of music (before the drop box days)- the mmi,ssi,subhalakshmi,santhanam , mdr and many many contemporary musicians. I in my mind assumed he would have listened , proceeded to ask him as to whether he listened to any concerts in this season.

Yes yes he said - 1 udayalur kalyanraman , inniku ithu , i also came for sudha ragunathan here.

Eppadi irundhudhu sudha was my next question with a satisfaction that I have pulled him .

He immediately quipped sudha did not sing that day at skgs - another lady sang whose name was gayathri.

Eppadi irundhudhu gayathri was my next question

He told he left in 20 mins as he came with another relative who was more keen to hear only sudha.

I asked the full name of gayathri with my interest of knowing which gayathri replaced.

He said he forgot , finally asked sudha full name theriyuma he said yes yes sudha raghunathan.

My First prey was a useless target - he does not even want to know which gayathri sang with a dozen gayathris but he says the full name of sudha as sudha ragunathan. Said bye and went to the other side entrance of the skgs.
0 x

rajeshnat

#2 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by rajeshnat » 03 Jan 2014, 16:40

O gosh there was a violin concert in kamakoti hall and I think it was anuradha (lalgudi family) played with another girl . This carnatic evangelist who really saw a catholic evangelist at tiruvarur few years back when he came out of kamalamba temple was rewarded with a kamalAMbam bhajare in kalyani.Lalgudi compactness and carnaticness was intact. Left halfway as I wanted to hear Ambi subramaniam.Went around 11 AM to the main hall , no idea when the curtains would go up. Saw a significant gumbhal coming in - not sure if it is a new crowd who came to listen ambi subramaniam or is it the crowd who came after getting the portrait and laddu from outside.

The concert was performed by young Ambi Subramaniam who is 22 as i asked him at the end . He is the son of L subramaniam , a brilliant violinist and his grandfather Laxminarayana was a pioneer in spreading the violin concerts more towards the west . L Subramaniam brothers are L shankar (whom i have almost zero clue) and L Vaidhyanathan . If you follow maestro illayaraja , one of his trusted lietenants who took up the orchestration of his music was Late L. Vaidhyanathan. Way back in 2001 or 2002 I had a chance to attend one violin concert of L Subramaniam in Mysore sachidananda ashram , that concert was very special . LS played an extraordinary shanmughapriya as a main - i think it was sadA nin krithi popularized by maharajapuram santhanam. THe virtuosity and speed of LS was superb.

I felt in this concert Ambi's music was not a copy cat style of LS . I could sense a lot of nidanam in his bowing at times taking his bow for a full length to fully play , kind of touches of VV Subramaniam was indeed there to me.

Ambi started with a shree ragam varnam and for a significant portion liked his play, few touches towards the end vapourized carnaticness and brought in a touch of western nevertheless well done. The next was in vijayashri with a brief alapana and he followed with his appa's krithi - (by any chance is this krithi associated with ganapathi sachidananda swami too - some one can let me know). Vijayshri was played very well with UKS really giving a lovely touch. The shripathE in nagaswarAli was played very well , here it was definitely a bit fast bowing and the tempo was intact for the whole song . The preceding alapana oozed with exceptional clarity.

The contrast of swarajathi was lovely. While he showed a kind of hard press style in nagaswarali in todi alapana he played in a more serene style , with lovely long glides of gamakas that essentially defines todi . Todi swarajathi was well played . The fast filler in bilahari was good , the last enna tavam was very very VV Subramaniamish , long jaarus taking his time to bow a full phrase without changing the direction of bow in kapi was excellent . Towards the end there was also a western fusion style in kapi where kapi went to cappuachinO .

UKS is born on 1935. As a rasika i went to hear UKS with a break of nearly 1 to 2 years thinking UKS mama would have lost his steam a bit , that never happened . The naadam of mrudu anagam was lovely with a really high shruthi. The tani went with the flow of the swarajathi for a significant half and I enjoyed it . Sundar kumar gave a bit too restrained support - perhaps he wanted to showcase his respect to the doyen.

Ambi has intense shruthi suddham and his bowing has exceptional clarity and he really enjos himself immensely with an always confident smile . Little more confidence in swara patterns will make him more complete.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 1 hour and 45 mins.
0 x

rajeshnat

#3 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by rajeshnat » 03 Jan 2014, 16:43

Long time back Erode Nagaraj said in our forum where he quoted his guru UKS . UKS used to tell erode nagaraj "nagaraja nee nalla vasikkernnu ellarum solra , avanga aviprayam mathikkarthukulla nee nejamave nallA VASi (Nagaraj , the rasikas are telling that you are playing well - i would like you to actually play well, even before they change their opinion). A certain profound statement .

Erode Nagaraj,
You have to tell this to your guru UKS in verbatim." MamA oru rasika unga vayasu ninaichundu neenga antha alavukku nalla vasikka mattel ninachinnu vandaan , AnA neenga 10 varsham munnAdi eppadi vasichellO athE mAri vasikkerilnnu ninnaikirAn" (One rasika who came to your concert thinking that you will not play that well because of your age - went with the fact that Shri UKS was playing with the same polish as though he played 10 years back). It was a rare sight to see a sishya like you who sits in the dias when your guru is playing with the same ounce of enthusiasm that you always have for uks which i have observed atleast for the last decade.

UKS mama told in the speech that my status was given by my elders and I am giving the same to the youngsters of today, that was lovely. What is perfect is that his core competency of being a mrudangam artist has not come down .
0 x

kunthalavarali

#4 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by kunthalavarali » 03 Jan 2014, 18:21

None of the violinists that I have listened were capable of producing the deep and resonant sound like the three sons of late Laksminarayanan (not even the highly acclaimed Trinity). It was a treat to listen to them accompanied by PMI. IMHO LS deserves SK. Glad to know that Ambi S is a promising artiste.
0 x

erode14

#5 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by erode14 » 03 Jan 2014, 23:15

thank you rAjEsh and happy 2014 to sweet members of our dear rasikas forum.
0 x

rajeshnat

#6 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by rajeshnat » 04 Jan 2014, 10:44

Lakshmi narayana Iyer is the elder brother of ramnad sankara sivam and ramnad krishnan. Never knew that till the other post conveyed it. At the end of the concert when L Subramaniam spoke that as early as 1930's his appa lakshminaraya did some techniques to use both left and right hand to more effectively play. I am not sure if the technique is in the hands or few modifications to the instrument itself.Some one who knows more violin like akella sharma garu can throw more light?
0 x

cacm

#7 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by cacm » 04 Jan 2014, 22:20

According to the great critic SUBBUDU it all had to do with their going west & learning the Western Technique. Actually SUBBUDU had written an article saying TNK, LGJ & MSG ALL HAD THEIR TECHNIQUES WRONG. LGJ'S FRIEND Thyagarajan (sri ram chit funds) sent a copy of the article to me & I wrote a REBUTTAL which was circulated like an underground pamphlet. Actually SUBBUDU DODGED & DID NOT SHOW UP 10 TIMES to discuss his non-sensical writings about various artists like MDR LGJ & OTHERS. I did it bec IT UPSET PERSONS LIKE RK NARAYAN who wanted me to counter the so called great critic. The ultimate tragedy personally for me & cruel fate was when I had to take him in the Motel Elevator to receive an award at Cleveland! If one believes in Astrology he must have a good one & I was experiencing SANI Dhasa tho' Divakaram was my favourite vara kriti!..... VKV :[email protected] :)) :-ss
0 x

rajeshnat

#8 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by rajeshnat » 24 Jan 2014, 17:50

Ambi subramaniam concert reviewed in today's friday review in The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 609197.ece
0 x

SrinathK

#9 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by SrinathK » 24 Jan 2014, 18:47

All 3 brothers adopted all Western violin playing techniques in their bowing and left hand and their technical skills were honed to world class level. LS generally uses less wrist movement and at higher tempos it is all plain note fingering. But to get that clarity of articulation and precision and speed in his playing (listen to any varnam) was something truly novel. This allows them to play any genre of music in the world. Again the sound of their instruments is due to the use of electric violins with a contact pick up. I believe LS also uses a five stringed violin though I am not too sure of that.
0 x

SrinathK

#10 Re: Ambi [email protected] on Jan 01st,2014

Post by SrinathK » 26 Sep 2018, 18:46

cacm wrote:
04 Jan 2014, 22:20
According to the great critic SUBBUDU it all had to do with their going west & learning the Western Technique. Actually SUBBUDU had written an article saying TNK, LGJ & MSG ALL HAD THEIR TECHNIQUES WRONG. LGJ'S FRIEND Thyagarajan (sri ram chit funds) sent a copy of the article to me & I wrote a REBUTTAL which was circulated like an underground pamphlet. Actually SUBBUDU DODGED & DID NOT SHOW UP 10 TIMES to discuss his non-sensical writings about various artists like MDR LGJ & OTHERS. I did it bec IT UPSET PERSONS LIKE RK NARAYAN who wanted me to counter the so called great critic. The ultimate tragedy personally for me & cruel fate was when I had to take him in the Motel Elevator to receive an award at Cleveland! If one believes in Astrology he must have a good one & I was experiencing SANI Dhasa tho' Divakaram was my favourite vara kriti!..... VKV :[email protected] :)) :-ss
Here's a bit more of history -- Prof V Lakshminarayana was the brother of Ramnad Krishnan, Ramnad Raghavan and Ramnad Eswaran. According to the article in the Sruthi Magazine, from Madurai he moved to Ramnad to join the service of the Raja of Ramnad. He initiated his brothers into music; later, he entrusted the teaching of one of his brothers, Krishnan, to his friend at the palace, Ramnad Sankarasivam, a disciple of Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar. (He was the elder brother of C S Murugabhoopathy and the guru of T N Seshagopalan).

As the family stayed in Ramnad for a long time, his brothers came to be known as the Ramnad Brothers. Besides vocal, Lakshminarayana also learnt to play the violin. He had further training from T. Abhiramasundari, granddaughter of Veena Dhanammal, and from Tiruparkadal Srinivasa Iyengar, a disciple of Naina Pillai.

I am not sure how much music of the Violin Trio back from those days is out there. I was listening to an album of the violin trio yesterday with PMI (which I last heard years and years ago) and was struck by the detail of the gamakas and the raga bhava - well now I know where that came from. Their virtuosity on another level, the 3 brothers truly made their violins sing.
1 x