AIR CONCERTS

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
ganeshkant

AIR CONCERTS

Post by ganeshkant »

As someone who listens to radio meticulously esp.in the mornings,I am starting this thread.Members are welcome to chip in.

Today morning listened to Sowmya's songs in bhoopALam,vasanta and malladi bros.sandhehamu in rAmapriyA. (madras B).

Sikkil gurucharan's concert in Madras A.after a lovely nAtakapriyA (ithisamayumurA of MV) the main in chArukEsi - krupyApAlaya.amazing perfection;accompanied by MAS/ramiah vittal/ghatam ?(They have stopped announcing the name of the upapakkavadhyam artisst of late.why ?)

Today night 10.05 p.m TNS concert in FM-gold.so,members who want to listen may take note.

sureshvv

Re: AIR CONCERTS

Post by sureshvv »

Does not sound line TNS

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I am sorry VVS.I misheard the announcement it seems.TNS it seems was @ 1.10 p.m.It was Padmini Ravi who sang instead.I have heard her a few times in radio.she sang asAveri as sub main with rArA mAinti with nice round of svarams.solid pAtanthram was evident in her singing.The main was Edhavunara in kalyANi.U should listen to such concerts to learn a few things and not just for listening pleasure.For e.g when she sang bruhaspathE in adAnA ,I opened up my navagraha keerthna book and tried to follow.I see it as a chance to imbibe.

Today's Madras - A concert had BrindA manickavAchakam with VVSrinivasa Rao and Vijay natEsan.She sang very well.Her sub main PantuvarALi-apparAma bhakti was rendered v.well.She sang both the charanams.The very rarely heard chAlivAgadheeswaram of MD in dEvagAndhAri was soothing.main bEgada - kaDaikan vaithennai was also good.she has a good voice that is both sweet & strong.She may pay some heed to svaram singing.A v.g.performance overall.

Tomorrow @ 8.45 a.m Madras - A - mAlA chandrasekhar - flute.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yesterday's night concert @ 9.30 had Sanjay subhramaniam/vvravi/sherthala AK/vaikomGK.

SS strained initially and the varnam in balahamsa really put him to task.the sangathis were not falling in place.but as a tactful artist he is,he recovered and the next item hanumanE in malaya marudham with a round of kalpaan svaras was o.k.the succeeding items were ST's Anandavalleem in neelAmbhari with a brief Alaapanai and unnadiyE in bahudhari of GNB.the bahudhari rAgam rendering was satisfactory.The nelambhari was rather good.the main ennALu in subhapantuvarALi was o.k.the rAgam had some frivolous phrases as usual.The concluding item was a HMB no.in kApi which was good.

The morning concert of mAlA c'sekhar /mak/mae was good.played all seasoned and time tested items.vAsudevayani,etijenma,the main was marakathavalleem,kambOdhi,very good rendition.she concluded with a thillAnA in kApi.MAE played a v.g.tani.nice concert.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Good selection of songs.Sikkil school I like for the nice &distinct blow.Kapi Thillana it was announced as one of Chinniah Pillai -one of Tanjore quartet.Kamboji ragam kriti &swaras were of high order with Parur Krishnasamy ably supporting &vibing.More reviews possible with TVG uploading the concerts for those who can not listen fully in early hours.

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/0531p4m ... garAja.mp3

A sample of gems only available at AIR. Members free to guess the artist and or rate the track.
In todays world where flamboyance is confused with a host of other virtues ,these kinds of tracks take 10 out of 10 in my books.
Glory be to AIR !!!!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Mylai mahendran's nAgasvaram concert was quite satisfactory in today's broadcast.he played saraswathi (PS's song in adi),nambikkettavar- hindoLam and the main kAmakshi of MD in sim.madhyamam.his throw was perfect without any burrs and melodious throughout.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

I feel lucky to be enjoying the pleasant cool weather in chennai. I was also lucky to listen to Smt. Mala Chandrashekhar's concert in the morning. It was a treat. enjoyed Maragatha Valli a lot. Wish to listen more concerts on AIR, Chennai.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

varsha wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/listen/0531p4m ... garAja.mp3

A sample of gems only available at AIR. Members free to guess the artist and or rate the track.
In todays world where flamboyance is confused with a host of other virtues ,these kinds of tracks take 10 out of 10 in my books.
Glory be to AIR !!!!
Varsha-ji,

Thank you for that beautiful recording! I feel bad to say that I could not identify the artistes - please help!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I think the artist in varsha's link may be MLV.

yesterday's night concert had S.Rajeswari:RTP concert.kharaharapriya was taken which was good.She sang a slokam in sind.bhairavi & varaLi and rounded up with Etijenmamithika.

Today morning vasundara rajagopal sang exclusive tamizh items of muthutAndavar,p.thooran & sudhdananda bharati.all known songs like aruLpurivai karunaikkadale,gaNanAthane.kAraNamkEttuvadi,etc.were sung one after the other.just plain songs.no R,N.S.apart from lin there was veenai also.nice prog.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

KettupohadhE nenjE of M.T was sung in mukhari.I have heard this song in vakuLAbhaarNam by DhandapANi dEsikar and seerkAzhi GR.

In yesterday's national prog.of music Prasanna venkatrAman sang nice poorvikalyANi & mohanam.V.sanjeev's replies were nice.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

[quote="ganeshkant"]when she sang bruhaspathE in adAnA quote]

Bruhaspathe in atAna please. Adana is a hindustani music raga which is very different from atAna (carnatic music raga).

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

yesterday @ 1.10 p.m fm - gold broadcasted MVI's recording.really enjoyed his singing that had free flowing brighas and his rAga essays of Arabhi & aTAnA were unique.could hear santhAnam's voice supporting.

Night in the national prog.of music,started listening debashish chakravarti's guitar recital from the middle( returned home after listening a fabulous concert of sumitra vAsudev) while he was playing mArubihAg.could identify the rAgam without difficulty.he played keervANi and hamsadhwani afterward.nice concert.

Today morning sangeetA sivakumar's concert started with PS's gaNapathiyE in K'priya.I had to leave home after her AlApaani of poorvikalyANi that came next.it was o.k.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today's veenai concert of rEvati krishna in Chennai A accompanied by R.Ramesh and N.rAjArAman was good.Started with GNB's ranjani varnam.sri jAlandhara in gambeera nAttai with nice chitta svarams was nice to hear.Bombay & mAyavaram sisters used to sing this. The sub-main 'kandajoodumi(vAchaspati) and main varamulosakhi (keeravANI) with bit of tAnam was good.the last item was khamas tillAnA.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

How many Carnatic performances are scheduled in the radio in a day? I just know of 1, 3 and 10 pm in fm-gold; and the 845 in Chennai A. Any other timings?

Which timing is popular with fmg? Is it the 10 pm one? Is the 845 in A more popular than fmg programmes? Or, is it that there is no such thing as a sought-after timing? Just curious. :-?

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

no reply from anyone - not even from the thread starter...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Really nice concert going on right now.

Tuned in half way during Gamanasrama kriti of Mysore Vasudevachar. Small lapse in the korvai but the raga/kriti essay was very nice.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

VVSuresh,the artist was rEvati as announced though hearing her for the first time.yes,the gamanasrama was palatable.she next sang bhairavi as main with chintayamAm.

ramamantra,I just opened and find ur query.the madras A 8.45 slot is bit more famous than the others as you can hear recently recorded concerts.also at times esp.on Sunday you can hear past masters.If U r in Chennai pl.tune into Madras B in the mornings right from 6 a.m- 7 a.m and from 7.15 - 8 a.m.
fm - gold @ 1.30 p.m,5 p.m and most of the days @ 10 p.m also.

Today morning concert of DKP/UR/IS/THSC brought in a lot of nostalgia.Even when she was old how graceful she was ! the old age might have emaciated her just physically not her music.the jaganmOhini AlApanai and the rarely heard mAmavasatatam with lilting svarams and the bhairavi.....AhA.... and the neelAmbhari.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

ganeshkant wrote: ramamantra,I just opened and find ur query.the madras A 8.45 slot is bit more famous than the others as you can hear recently recorded concerts.also at times esp.on Sunday you can hear past masters.If U r in Chennai pl.tune into Madras B in the mornings right from 6 a.m- 7 a.m and from 7.15 - 8 a.m.
fm - gold @ 1.30 p.m,5 p.m and most of the days @ 10 p.m also.
Thanks ganeshkant. Actually I didn't know Chennai b has Carnatic programmes at 6 itself. I miss the 7 am fm-gold concerts and felt miserable without listening to Carnatic in the mornings. Thanks a million for letting me know abt the b station.

Btw, do ppl really listen to 10 pm fm-gold broadcasts? I think 5 pm is the popular one with fm-gold, right?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

ramamantra,

I think people (like me) do listen the 10 p.m fm gold concerts.U r welcome to join.I forgot to inform about the night slots in Madras A.pl.tune on wed,fri,sat & sun @ 9.30 p.m.sometimes on tues.also.

Now bAlAji sankar is singing.may be an old recording accompanied by mak/mae.the first song is dhayachooda samayamidhE in jaganmohini of SS.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today @ 7.15 a.m madras-B broadcasted natabhairavi RTP by a.kanyAkumAri.very nice.

madras - A @ 8.45 a.m - concert of B.lalitA mAdhav accompanied by kOvai chnadran / Erode nAgarAj.I think I am hearing her for the first time.a very good voice and a matured presentation followed.the concert looked fresh due to selection of kritis known but not that often heard.

pAlimpa rAvadeva of pallavi seshayier in Arabhi gave a good start.the ranjani AlApanai was good followed by praNamAmyaham of MV.brovabAramA was the filler.the main in sAvEri was v.g.showcased her manodharmam.the kriti was ST's.KC gave decent replies of ranjani & sAvEri.Erode aligned his playing along with the main artist & jelled beautifully in kriti,neraval & svaram and played an erudite tani.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

madras B @ 7.15 a.m heard an old recording of NSG.how beautifully he has sung when he was in peak form ! apparAmabhakti,endhukubedhala preceded by a beautiful AlApanai and manavyala preceded by a short & sweet AlApanai.simply great it was which has its effect even now .

Today's arangisai madras - A had Triplicane kaliyamurthi's nAgaswaram recital.listened to his extensive chakravAham AlApanai.earlier he played sogasajooda in kannada gowLai.nice.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

When a rasika listens to good music he is motivated to listen to more music.Yes yesterday returned home after listening to VS's concert remembering DKP.It was a fabulous concert,no doubt.So.@ 9.30 p.m when I listened to SP's kutcheri it was as if I was waiting to hear such a music after VS's.Accompanied by VV Srao / shertala AK she sang sivaKamasundari -mukhari N,S @ kELAyO.she sang one of her own in hEmavati.the main was a pre-trinity song in nAttakurinji - ninnuminjinavAreverummA - nAmakkal Srinivasan.rAmalinga swamihaL's arutpA in kalyANi was lilting.

today morning @ 6,madras - B listened to good songs including rakshabetterE by KBMK.@ 6.30 GG's neethAn thuNai neelakantan manOhari - a marathon rAgamAlikai that has many rAgams - sriranjani,jyotiswaroopiNi,vasantabhiravi,etc.with svarams in the ascending & descending order.
a very good no.

@ 7.15 a.m it was pandit jasrAj - Ahir bhairav & darbAri.class.

@ 8 a.m listened to nanditA ravi's kharharapriyA AlApanai in DD national and left home.So,couldn't listen to U.S's mandolin concert today. did any of U listen ?

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

ganeshkant, I've a doubt: Can I listen to fm-gold down south (further), say, tirunelveli/kanyakumari?

I've to go there suddenly and miss my friend's daughter's music coming week. Will fm-gold reach there? It'll be nice if you let me know.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

ramamantra,U wont hear fm-gold even @ madurAntakam which is about 50 kms.from chennai.while I was traveling by car once I could get fm-gold somewhat clear only very close to chinglepet.

It seems US mandolin concert was a cracker.forumite Crama and one of my friends showered encomiums.my friend told that his todi filled in everywhere,internal & external.apart from kartikEya gAngEya he has played ganapatE - janaranjani - hmb,bilahari,SS's kriti in ananda bhairavi,etc.

Yesterday night after listening to ramAravi & nandita ravi concert I returned home very tired.So listened a part of anurAdA....(forgot surname) vocal.she sang bihAg.a routine one.next came something.can't remember.slept.

Today listened assorted songs in madras-B sung by artists like shreyas nArAyanan.left home @ 7 a.m. and returned just.didn't listen any music today.may listen now.missed tkg's concert in isaipettaham.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Let me add some Bangalore flavour to this discussion.. FM Amrutavarshini..

K Bhargavi, broadcasted at 8:30 am slot today, sang Bellari Seshagiri Achar's kriti in 'chitrAmbari' ... 'mahAlakshmim praNamAmi satatam' with a 5-6 min alapana and 7- 8 mins of kalpana swaras. Very impressive. I haven't heard this vidushi in any of the live concerts and have no further detail. The previous occasion, when I heard her in the FM concerts, she sang a fabulous Jyoti.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks braindrain for joining.During my 7 months stay in B'lore in 2007,evryday I used to listen to FM- amruthavarshini.it was a good thing to listen to 4 hrs.of music at a stretch both CM & HM.

Yesterday night it was Dr.Baby sreerAm in national prog.of music.she sang a concert of SS kritis.karunAnidhiilalO(tOdi),talli(kalyANi with a neat AlApanai),mAyamma ( Ahiri),a kriti in janaranjani and some more.her shruti may be less than 5,I think.still she made it.it was good.

Today morning madras - B @ 6.30 a.m it was thrissur VR.srimahAganapatE- atANA,seethamma- vasanta & an electrifying pantuvarALi - siva siva.

@ 7.15 BhushaNy kalyANa rAman.I have heard it many times.sudhamayee - amruthavarshini,sreenivAsa - hamsAnandi and chakkani rAja - kkpriyA with a good AlApanai.

madras - A @ 8.45 - T.V.rAmprasAd /m.s.ananthakrishnan/ramiah vittal.
kannathadrinaapai - dEvamanOhari,meenalOchani - danyAsi (sub main,R,N,S) and main was vAchaspati ( ihapara of kOteeswara Iyer).a satisfactory concert.msak played with a maturity which was missing earlier. RV played neatly and the tani was enjoyable.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

This prog.about the chindhu is being featured in madras - A @ 9.30 p.m on Mondays.I heard it yesterday the second time.compiled by Mrs.Ambujam vEdAntam the details are documented interestingly.The singers are not that seasoned performers .So the slight off professional singers add a rustic charm when they sing the diff.types of chindhus.U may look for it next week also.Dr.S.R is one vidvAn who really labored to popularize cindhus on concert stage.Now his disciples - SS & PUK follow that.Of course the contribution of the DKP school can't be ignored.VS sings them in most of his concerts.

Today morning @ 5.30 - DD Podhihai - heard an excellent hEmavati - srikAntimatim by SGC accompanied by VVR/UKS/Dr.SK.the AlApanai was v.g,the 5 mins.tani was enjoyable.

@ 6.30 a.m madras - B - TNS - pAlayamAm sree in sree and HMB kritis in sAramati,nirOshtA and sahAnA ( a lovely & lively AlApanai)- mAnamu kAvalunuthalli.great stuff folks.repeated listening makes it wanting to hear more & again.

@ 8.45 a.m k.bhAskaran's flute recital was neat.the plus point is in spite of the instrument's allowance to play boyish & frivolous sangatis, he restrained himself and the presentation was very traditional.the main kharharapriyA - chakkanirAja was very good.S.rAmakrishnan provided v.g.support on violin.KB earlier played aruLavEndumthAyE in sAramati and mAhaganapatim - nAttai with interesting svara patterns.TVM Vaid.Nathan & venkataramanan gave v.g.support on mri.& kanj.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ganeshkant wrote:the artist was rEvati as announced though hearing her for the first time.yes,the gamanasrama was palatable.she next sang bhairavi as main with chintayamAm.
Yes. Unfortunately she sang it as "chintayamaa gandamoola gandam" :-(

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today morning @ 7.15 - madras B - TMK - sarOjadaLanEtri - a free flowing AlApanai,N,S@kOrivachina.that must be at least a decade old recording where TMK is in full flow.a very good one.next was Sanjay singing mAyamma - Ahiri.good.

@ 8.45 madras - A - rAmakrishnan murthy / charumathi raghurAm/muruhabhoopathy/vaikom.
A good concert.he sang rAmabhakti - shud.bungala,shivE pAhimAm - kalyANi - (R,N,S @ charaacharamayee - the neraval was good.next came nArayana gowLai-just the song rAmam,the main was dhanyAsi-meenalOchani ( hearing it for the third time this week ).a thirupuhazh.the accompanists did good job.

Tonight @ 9.30 p.m it will be violin solo by VVS in madras - A.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yesterday's VVS's solo violin concert with poovAlur sreeji on the mridangam was a classically rich concert as expected.

opening with a kriti of MD invoking gaNapati in poornashadjam he proceeded further.kEdAragowLai AlApanai was followed by vEnugAna.the main was kalyANi - bhajarErE chithta of MD.the post tani had lilting items.there was dEsh and an item in a rAgA similar to rEvati. ended with an item in khamAs.

Today morning @ 8.45 a.m madras - A featured the concert of sriranjani NSG.starting with mukhari AlApnai she went on to sing kArubAru,nijamamamulu in umAbharanam with sarvalaghu svarms reminding MMI,the main tOdi - kArtikEya and a virutham in dEsh followed by piravialayARRil uzhalAdhE.a v.g.concert.MAS & Kum.swaminAthan provided v.g.support.sriranjani is proving of late that she is capable of leaping not just 16 but 32 feet.let this spirit continue.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

was it umabharanam? switched the radio in the middle and was very impressed with the lilting swaras.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

AIR Ragam TV Channel (DTH service) is an excellent source to listen to Carnatic music for those who do not have a radio with MW frequency. It relays several radio concerts apart from devotional music etc.

vsarma.iitm

Post by vsarma.iitm »

Today in Chennai A, at 8.45 AM was a veena concert by
Smt. Sujana accompanied by
Sri S.Balashankar-Mrudangam
Vaikkam Sri R.Gopalakrishnan-Ghatam

The song list
01-nannu_kanna_talli- sindhukannaDa-tyAgarAja
02-entamuddO_enta_sogasO- bindumAlini-tyAgarAja (R, S)
03-paramapuruSa_hrudaya-lalitapancamam-swAti tirunAL (S)
04-vaddanE_vAru_lEru- shaNmukhapriyA-tyAgarAja (R, T, S)

Recording is available @ Sangeethapriya (thanks to Sri TVG) link below
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... ana-Veena/

Sivaramakrishnan

Presently stationed at Thanjavur due to official posting, I have been a regular listener of AIR Trichy programmes. It has one of the best 'music staff team' ( TV Ramanucharyulu-violin, Tiruvaiyaru B V Jayasree-vocal, B.Harikumar-mridanga, B Sivakumar-Veena, TH Vasantha-violin et.al. among others) and the productions apart from concerts are 'edutaining'. In 'Tyagaraja kriti Vilakkam'(15 mnts), TVRamanucharyulu takes up one kriti and explains the meaning in full with relevant information and sings it at the end with soft pakkamelam. 'Isai Vaanam' (10 mnts) on Saturday mornings is an interesting musical chat! Raaga bandham(15 mnts) is a weekly program to present film songs in various Carnatic ragas- taking a raga per day. Of course there is a weekly isai payirchi (music lesson) offering weighty as well as rare kritis.

The just concluded year long Pavala vizha (Platinum jubilee) of AIR Trichy had vintage programmes at 8.30 a.m. consisting of yesteryear concerts and rare interviews with great vidwans (from the archives).

The recent series on Thirupugazh / Kaavadichindu by Ambujam Vedantam was unique. I think the kavadi chindu was relayed by Chennai also.

Being situated in the central part of Tamilnadu and near the cultural capital Thanjavur with various cultural and literary events taking place, AIR Trichy's access to such events is easy or even obligatory. But the dedication of the music team is praiseworthy. I often share my views with them over phone on the programmes and they have been happy to respond. The annual Tyagaraja aaraadhana at Tiruvaiyaru is of course their major field event requiring extensive coverage on all 5 days. I have spotted the staff at various other venues such as the Tirupunthuruthi Narayana thirthar festival, Tiruvarur Mummoorthy vizha and many literary programmes for which the kaveri delta is renowned.

I recently came across an announcement from I&B minister that MW stations would be converted to FM. Though this would enable even mobile users to listen to more of carnatic music, I am really concerned whether the facility of receiving music broadcasts from Chennai MW in other districts of Tamilnadu would be affected by this. Yes, I strain my MW radio at Thanjavur to listen to Chennai A also and my modest equipment often obliges!

Anyone could throw more light on the proposal?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

On Friday 25/07 9.30 p.m @ madras- A heard a concert of TNS/VVR/KVP/VAIKOM.meenalOchan/todi/hmb was refreshing.amba neelAyathAkshi - neelAmbhari.the main was kanna thalli neevu - sAvEri.

29/07 - madras - A @ 8.45 C.S.sajeev/neyveli rAdhakrishnan/papanasam kumar/vaikom - a neat concert.the main shankarAbharaNam was handled well - sarOjadalanethri.neat N,S @ sAmagAnavinOdhini.the sub main was sAradhE in dEvagAndAri.good too.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Balasubramanya Sharma today morning 8:30 FM Amrutavarshini.. Tyagaraja kriti in 'swarabhUSaNi' varadarAja ninnu kOri vachiti followed by Mayamalavagaula and a devarnama in natakurinji. Hearing the swarabhushani kriti for the first time.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Today only I came to know about this thread. I fully appreciate this initiative. Only AIR gives opportunity to all the vidwans/vidushees to perform and be heard.
Being living in Bengaluru from the year,1999 and due to very limited opportunities to attend live concerts, AIR, Bengaluru-Amritavarshini gives me the pleasure of enjoying the concerts and discussions, of very high standards.
In the last three days, I have heard Sri J.V.Deepak, Sri A.Sadasivan and Sri Balasubhramanya Sarma. All the three artists concerts were very good, in plan and execution. Their commitment to classicism was evident in all the three aspects of creativity-raaga alaapana; kriti rendition; svarakalpana. They also belong to artists who must be given encouragement and support by the event managers, media and rasikas.
munirao2001

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

Sri Sivaramakrishnan, since you live in Tanjavur, have the Cauvery waters come to Tiruvaiyyaru and the Vennar etc., to Tanjavur?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

braindrain wrote:Hearing the swarabhushani kriti for the first time.
TVS sang this and announced also as a rare kriti in his concert @ TTD,Chennai a few months back.I heard TVS sing hamir kalyANi also for the first time.he sang predictably vEnkatasailavihAra with excellent svarams that brought in a lot of appreciation from the rasikas as well as violinist HNB.

Incidentally during my visit to kAnchipuram recently I saw the sculpting of the kritis on the deity varadarAjar and this is one of them.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

yesterday night madras - a @ 9.30 p.m featured a concert of Dr.Vijayalakshmy subramaniam/kum.gopinath/ramiah vittal/sunil kumar (kanjira).

After a song in nAttai she sang a convincing dhanyAsi followed by bAlakrishan pAdamalar.folowed yadukulakAmbOdhi AlApanai - kAlaithookki.the main was poorvikalyANI - enneramum undhan Namam.
post tani she presented songs in saurAshtram & desh of lesser known composers.the dEsh song on lord muruhA had kandhar alankAram in viruththam in rAgAs naLinakAnti,madhuvanti and desh.good it was.Of the 3 items sung till the main,the poorvikalyANi was better.Accompanists did a good job.

Today morning @ 5.15 a.m @ podhihai Dr.Jayantikumaresh was palying tAnam in sarasAngi followed by a pallavi in Adi.the seamless rAgamAlika had shubhapantuvarALi,mohanam & sivaranjani.next came chnadrasekharA in sind.bhairavi.R.Ramesh and Dr.kArthick accompanied.
@ 5.30 a.m E.gAyathri veenai with manOj siva & trichy muraLi. she played a succulent sankarAbharaNam and the kriti was dEvi meena nethri.she too played an item in sind.bhairavi next.

Today @ 8.45 a.m madras- A relayed Dr.R.Ganesh's vocal concert with MAS/M.S.SEKHAR/SUNDAR.
started with rajarAjeswari in poornachandrika and sang a decent AlApanai of sarasAngi followed by jaya jaya padmanAbhA of S.T that had N,S.the main was mOhanam - rA rA of MV.A satisfactory concert very well supported.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Ganesh, en intha mounam. We are missing your reviews.
Today at 8.45 AM, in Chennai A there was the concert of one A.Narayanan-vocal accompanied by VL Kumar on the violin and Ramayya Vittal on the Mridangam. I have not heard this vidwan earlier. Looks like a very young vidwan. (Is he Aswath Narayanan) Voice has a resemblance to that of Saketharaman- slightly feminine. The concert was good. The songs were
Bhowli varnam
Jaya jaya jaya-Nata- PD
Varadarajam Upasmahe-Saranga-MD
Gopalabala-Kathanakuthoohalam-HMB
Mahitha pravridha-Kambodi-T.
Alapana of Saranga and Kambodi were good. Gopalabala is a very nice kriti in an attractive tune. This song is first time for me.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I was away for almost a week and back only yesterday afternoon.Last friday (01/08/14) madras - A feartured concert of MahArajapuram srinivasan /mas/J.balaji.darbar as sub main with a kriti of Tiger and the main was nidhichAla in kalyANi.It was a satisfactory concert.

Amrita MuraLi/vasantA/R.ramesh concert was good.she sang briiliantly dEvAdhideva in sindhurAmakriyA.the rendiiton was much like MSS's.dhanyAsi - meenalOcha was the sub main which was v.good.the main was sankarAbharaNam with a MD kriti which was satisfactory.

Yesterday's night concert of mahati was a RTP concert which was good.hamsAnandi was explored nicely with a 3 stage AlApanai and tAnam.grahabEdam resulted in hindOLam.the pallavi was in misrathripudai.the rAgAmAlika segment had sumanEsaranjani,valaji and rEvati.she sang vinathAsuthavA in jayantasEna initially.

Today's morning concert had mALavika supported by ushArAjagOpal and rAmiahvittal.a satisfactory concert that had mAmayurameedhilErivaa in bilahari as submain and keeravANi as main - vaananai madhisoodiya maindhanai.the first kriti was tatvamariya in reedhigowLai.

Sivaramakrishnan

yes. The Chennai A morning concert (9 Aug) of Malavika was good.
Does she belong to DKJ Sishya parampara?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today's morning concert of Trichy Pradeep kumAr was good.he presented varALi in all its grandeur and sang mAmavameenakshi.sang a viruththam in sindubhairavi followed by manadhirkuhandhahdu.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Pradeep Kumar commenced with Sidhivinayakam in Chamaram and then Akhilandeswari- Dwijavanthi with elaborate alapana of the ragam and swaras. I could see the influence of TNS in the alapana of Dwijavanthi.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

On saturday night in the national prog.of music Smt.RuchirA kALE's h.m vocal concert was very nice.she sang chAyAnat and sohni.a brilliant and fertile voice.was a nice experience to hear her.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today morning @4.30 a.m - DD podhihai broadcasted at least a decade old recording of GG/BUG/JV/GURUPRASAD.chintayEmahAlingamurthim- paras,chitham irangAdhEnayya-sahAnA,kanukontini-bilahri and rAmA rAmA guNaseemA -sim.madhyamam (main).a v.g.concert.the AlApanais of sahAnA & sim.madh.were excellent in typical TNS style.

madras- A @ 8.45 - AnayAmpatti ganesan/mas/ramiah vittal (RM) - jalatharangam concert ; an endangered instrument.he played mAkElara - ravichandrkA,a kriti of MV in dEvamanOhari as sub main and main was sarasAngi - jayajayapadmanAbhA .a good concert.I like the sound of this instrument.Its very difficult to play gamakam or brigha I think.But the main artist persevered to present the best.mas's replies were complementary and soothing.In film music late KVM used this instrument esp.in bgms' a lot.
Last edited by ganeshkant on 13 Aug 2014, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Today 8.45AM, in Madras A, there was the concert of Prema Rangarajan. Sudha RS Iyer on the violin. Mridangam I dont remember. She is a great vidushi who has got a huge repertoire of rare kritis of trinity and other vaggeyakaras. She has presented lot of thematic concerts which reflected on her training under great gurus and pains she has taken to learn and present rare compositions to suit the occasions. IN today's concert she sang Samikisarijeppa in Begada- a rarely heard composition of Thyagaraja. Elaborate swaras added lustre to the song. The next was also a rare song- of Deekshithar-Vedapureeswaram in Dhanyasi- with alapana and swaras. Main was Neevegathiyani in Kalyani- a composition of Mysore Vasudevachar.

CommonMan

Post by CommonMan »

Was very happy to hear Samikisari, and recall an incident that my uncle used to narrate about this song ......it seems once Musiri was teaching a set of students and for one of the charanams of this song started singing swarams. he ended one of the swaram turns as "sa ri ga ma pa" - followed by that line. A student (unable to recall the name) hesitantly objected to it saying it can only be "sa ga ri ga ma pa" and not "sa ri ga ma pa". It seems Musiri replied "true... theoretically it might not be right: but swaras are only representations of the Ragas beauty, and slight text-book deviations for the sake of aesthetics is not criminal..." and from there on, he sang about 20-25 swara turns ending only with "sa ri ga ma pa"; after completing those turns asked "yaaruku idhula beagadayoda azhagu kekala" meaning who found it hard to decipher the beauty of begada from these turns...the way those musicians viewed music was divinely different, I guess!