The Travails of an Observer of the Social Scene - Part I

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
harimau

The Travails of an Observer of the Social Scene - Part I

Post by harimau »

The lot of an Observer of the Social Scene is fraught with travails; and by that I mean mountain-sized ones. Add to that the fact one of the trio was felled by illness and another had no choice but to accept personal invitations to competing events. Thus it fell to moi to take on the most crowded concerts to attend.

The first of these was the Sethalapathy Balasubramaniam Memorial Day at Raga Sudha Hall. The conflict was with the inauguration of the Visesha Vadhyanabhava series of concerts by Chennai Fine Arts. But having drawn the short straw, I had to go to Raga Sudha Hall, an auditorium with limited seating capacity. I missed not only the inaugural nagaswaram concert but the subsequent instrumental concert too. But sacrifices have to be made if one is to be faithful to one's duty as an Observer of the Social Scene. As they say, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I gave careful thought to how to handle the issue of getting a seat in Raga Sudha Hall. I felt that the elderly and disabled population of Raja Annamalaipuram, who are in no position to mount a challenge to the hordes of fans in rushing the doors during the December Season, would attend this concert in large droves. During the Season, they know they would be mere sheep to the Assyrian hordes who come down from other lands clad in gleaming purple and gold just to listen to tup-tup and go ga-ga.

I figured the best bet is to arrive at least 30 minutes early. As I neared the auditorium, my worst fears were realized. The elderly were being assisted by their minders and they took their own time climbing the sloping pathway and negotiating their way through the doors. I figured I could spend 20 minutes just standing behind these people unless I choose to trample over them. I figured neither the auditorium nor the artist in question needed the screaming headlines that would adorn the newspapers (well, perhaps at least the Mylai Express and/or Mylapore Times) if I chose to follow that path. Instead, I walked through the driveway to the doors on the other side and entered. I don't think I paused for a bio-break. But my strategem didn't help me at all.

Because the hall was already 85% full with only scattered seats empty. Given a choice of a chair between two females -- one scowling and the other armed with the Kaccheri Guide and thus likely to ask what the raga of a song is if it is not listed in the Guide -- I chose a seat on one of the benches along the wall, squeezing myself between a couple of people who definitely needed an application of deodorant at the appropriate parts of the torso.

The proceedings of the evening have been detailed elsewhere. Suffice it to say that some 30 persons crowded the stage, people stood along the wall (or, rather, in front of me) and outside the doors.

The surprising thing for me was that there was not a single tup-tup or dugu dugu throughout the concert, though there was plenty of opportunities for that. Does this mean that the NRI sheeple who seem to thrive on these strange vocalizations will be disappointed, come December Season? Or will there be some new sounds that will be sprung on the audience and that is being kept under wraps? Time alone will tell and I will have to attend several crowded concerts of this artist to find out.

Sri Sethalapathy Balasubramaniam was known for leading bhajan groups around the Kapaleeswarar Temple singing krithis composed by Sri Papanasam Sivan. What is a bhajan without finger-cymbals (jaalras)? However, the review on this website made up for this and I could distinctly hear the rhythmic sound of chingggg-chack as I read the review and the comments.
Last edited by harimau on 04 Nov 2014, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Rsachi

Re: The Travails of an Observer of the Social Scene - Part I

Post by Rsachi »

This first part of Prowling Tiger and Crouching Pen is full of anticlimaxes. Imagine a tiger returning bootless and fruitless after a hunt.
But be at it, Harimau, and Thou Shalt Draw First Blood soon!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Even the king of hunters often fails and has to remain hungry. The reality of the tiger's life is not quite as well fed as the myth would have it.

I recall that, in the days when I first met Harimau, he was a raging beast happy to trample the the ankles of the percussion aficionados in his escape from a thani too long, too loud or simply too boring. Well, we are subject to the march of the years, and perhaps I'm not so keen on some of those thanis as I once was. But... not trampling the queue? Even if it should consist of the old and the infirm? Could this be a show of weakness? In the jungle that is a dangerous thing!

No, weakness is not the problem here. The tiger is a creature of cunning. Cunning should have been the first instinct. The tiger does not waste its energy trampling, when it can simply go around the back and pounce. Harimau looses points for not having gone for cunning first.

Even as a mere kitten I know that the cunning approach to Raga Sudha Hall is from the back doors, preceded by easy contemplation of the crowd through the windows. Choice of a comfortable seat, observation of which fans are on, and avoidance of them especially the one, most terrible, most powerful fan in the hall...

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Fans! fans! the concert halls cry
For them, the musicians are willing to die.
Some fans are extremely demonstrative
Some upturned noses are quite remonstrative
And others that rattle and wobble just can't keep tala
However much they try.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harimau,
Your writing makes some of the op ed writers in the media fade away. We are happy to have our music scene sociologist back in action! And the opener an objective one, defying the saying ' we don't see things as they are but we see them as we are'.

Let me also not forget what Nick the animal kingdom watcher says :) Watch out!

Sachi,
Thanks for ready graphics and animations!

Harimau,
So, you missed the Carnatica award ceremony!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi.. pls. don't feed the animal(s).

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Rsachi wrote:Fans! fans! the concert halls cry
For them, the musicians are willing to die.
Some fans are extremely demonstrative
Some upturned noses are quite remonstrative
And others that rattle and wobble just can't keep tala
However much they try.
Fans! fans! the concert halls cry...

And some just spin with ridiculous speed
As if trying to blow the audience away
When underneath one, I find it hard to stay!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Paper tigers are only one pen away!

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

“The surprising thing for me was that there was not a single tup-tup or dugu dugu throughout the concert, though there was plenty of opportunities for that. Does this mean that the NRI sheeple who seem to thrive on these strange vocalizations will be disappointed, come December Season?”

‘tup-tup, dugu dugu’ or not, this numero uno sheeple is counting down.

“During the Season, they know they would be mere sheep to the Assyrian hordes who come down from other lands clad in gleaming purple and gold just to listen to tup-tup and go ga-ga”

And please don’t dare to color code or metal code the sheeple, as purple is too girly for me and I don’t care for gold. Animal coding is OK as the sheep are gay and proud and honester than a tiger in the hiding. A sadist you are.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Reminds me of this incident from a couple of years ago that I have been meaning to share with you folks.

It was the 2012 season, and it was towards the end of Sanjay's thematic concert (about Duraisamy Kavirayar/Gomatisankara Iyer) at the Jaya TV Margazhi Mahotsavam. The usually sweet but somewhat unpredictable Subhashree was in the midst of her Q&A session when she made a rather snarky comment about the dress code of the artistes (comparing them to the local politicians). While the audience was gearing up for the sharp retort that would come back (and believe me, Subhashree was a rather easy target at this point), Sanjay being the consummate gentleman totally side-stepped the comment and moved on to answer the crux of the audience question.
It was an act of chivalry that was in sharp contrast to the stereotype of the Carnatic Vidwan and was a lesson to all who could be bothered to learn.

I think I learned.

harimau

Post by harimau »

kedharam wrote:
“During the Season, they know they would be mere sheep to the Assyrian hordes who come down from other lands clad in gleaming purple and gold just to listen to tup-tup and go ga-ga”

And please don’t dare to color code or metal code the sheeple, as purple is too girly for me and I don’t care for gold. Animal coding is OK as the sheep are gay and proud and honester than a tiger in the hiding. A sadist you are.
Ah, why do I bother to write deathless prose with literary allusions for an uncaring audience deprived of a proper Humanities education? :( :-s

"The Assyrian came down like a wolf upon the fold
His cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold"

The Destruction of Sennacherib, Lord Byron.

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

“Ah, why do I bother to write deathless prose with literary allusions for an uncaring audience deprived of a proper Humanities education? “

Well, in your original post, “The Assyrian came down like a wolf upon the fold
His cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold" was not quoted properly. Instead of leaving it to me to make connections, you could have paraphrased for the sake of 'sheeple' who are "deprived of a proper Humanities education"
Being humane first and foremost facilitates mastering The Humanities. Or that is what I was taught in my anthropology, psychology, comparative politics, and philosophy classes that constitute a part of The Humanities branch in this part of the world. Perhaps this is beyond your reach.
Have a blessed Tuesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcBuN1iDW90
I understand SK is not your cup of tea. Sorry this is the best i can do to sooth your sore senses.
Last edited by kedharam on 04 Nov 2014, 23:34, edited 3 times in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

harimau wrote: ... Lord Byron.
Byron, get ron free?

harimau

Post by harimau »

kedharam wrote:“Ah, why do I bother to write deathless prose with literary allusions for an uncaring audience deprived of a proper Humanities education? “

Being humane first and foremost facilitates mastering The Humanities. Or that is what I was taught in my anthropology, psychology, comparative politics, and philosophy classes that constitute a part of The Humanities branch in this part of the world. Perhaps this is beyond your reach.
What is beyond your reach is a book of poetry. That is, if you have one in your bookshelf. [-x

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Come on Mon Cher,
Your accusation is niradharam, a much-read author is our Kedharam.

What happens when you feed the animals, especially Byron?
You end up with "maul culture".
TM2BJ
(acronym for This is meant to be a joke.)
:)

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

I bow to you thee the poet laureate.

Peace.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Boys and Girls...

Let us ignore the great pretender and discuss my supersized ching chak post!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

There goes the Anthropology - to apology - from Notional geographic:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... epage=true

Oh ! you Chink Chak post! Lets discuss it.
sureshvv wrote: 04 Nov 2014, 14:08 she made a rather snarky comment about the dress code of the artistes (comparing them to the local politicians)
Oh why did they do it? Did the masses demand it? ;)
sureshvv wrote: 04 Nov 2014, 14:08 It was an act of chivalry that was in sharp contrast to the stereotype of the Carnatic Vidwan and was a lesson to all who could be bothered to learn.
Oh poor! No mass following really! All the following is so well informed elites!! Lot of Chivalry to respond with "Why masses? Did they demand it?". If only the following matched their dressing! :twisted: CM would be somewhere!