Trichy Pradeep Kumar@BGS Trust on Dec 12th,2014

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Trichy Pradeep Kumar@BGS Trust on Dec 12th,2014

Post by rajeshnat »

Trichy Pradeep Kumar@BGS Trust (Arkays Hall) on Dec 12th,2014
-----------------------------------------------

Vocal : Trichy Pradeep Kumar
Violin : Parur MS ANanthakrishnan
Mrudangam : Trivandrum Balaji

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow
Day/Duration : Friday Evening/ 2 hours and 15 minutes
Concert Type/Crowd : Free concert - 30
Sabha/Hall : BGS Trust / Arkays Hall

01. vallabha nAyakasya - bEgaDa - MD

2. enna thunivAi nAn bayappadAmal(R) - sAramathi -MuttuTandavar
3. jAlandhara (R N S) - valaci - HMB
2 mins alapana and 1 min violin return
neraval in bhavarOga nivarini bhaktha jana for 5 mins
swaras for 9 mins

4. mAyammA - Ahiri - SS
5. pAda vEndumE (neraval sketch, S)- hamsanAdam - Dandapani desigan
2 mins neraval in ADum kootam aRulai
6 mins swaras

5A. bRocEvA revarurA (R N S T) - kamAs - MV
15 mins alapana and 9 mins violin return
6 mins neraval in vasura mukha karivar?? brOchina vasudevudu
9 mins swaras
6B. tani for 13 mins swaras

7A. slokham -vaidehi sahitam - yamunA kalyAni
7B. pibarE rAmarasam - yamunA kalyani - SB
8. mA madura purivAi maharAniyE - bhAgEshri - ??
9 . marukulAviya - poorvikalyani - AGN
10. nee nAma - sowrastram - at last thyagarAja

With the season really starting in only margazhi , the pre season is at a stage where there are more concerts than actual margazhi. The previous concert of Sriram parthasarthy at arkays hall that i attended was bit low in crowd , certainly this concert had the same problem , certainly the cannibalization of excess carnatic concerts affected this youngster concert attendance, but definitely not the quality of music.

I have personally heard this young pradeep in bits and pieces , more when he accompanied his guru Trichy Venkataraman. I was always impressed with his bits and pieces . This is my first concert experience of attending Pradeep .

I missed the first one as i was late and i was told it was vallabha nayakasya . I completely missed that bEgaDa but I generally like this krithi as an opener , it opens out the voice very well. As i entered he was wrapping his alapana with a strong voice in saramati . Saramati violin return was very short .He came out with a lovely thamizh krithi which was a muttutandavar krithi , i am hearing that for the first time and he said at the end that it was tuned by his guru J Venkataraman who is the disciple of alathur. THe lines were so sharp and musically filled and it appeared true to the concert that followed - pRadeep bayamE illamal enna thunivai padran (with no fear pradeep was singing with confidence). THe saramati was appealing .

THe next valaci was simply superb , the alapana was just a sketch but he folllowed with a lovely neraval in a different line bhavaroga nivarini , i am more acclimitized with neraval in navashakthi . THe swaras in valaci were creative with a really good poruttam at few places.

The next filler ahiri was just good little more nidhanam with few jarus would have been better in ahiri - a certain stillness was missing. His next hamsandam was sung well, i wish he dwelled more in neraval , the sketch was not that great but in swaras he made up well , overall his swara prasthanam skills were impressive.

The main was in kamas, the usual rule of thumb is alapanas have a short meditative course then with a middle layer of brigas and then a taper closure. I found he was very manodharmic in kamas , His take off at a different point reminded a yesteryear great and i immensely enjoyed his alapana in ,,,,

brochevA came out well and the neraval was aesthetic and I was satisfied . Swaras were creative with him ideating in stage . In the tail enders, the vaidehi sahitam in yamuna kalyani with pibarE ramarasam was extremely emotive and stirred with lot of oomph effect . The next bhageshri was well done and the last perumAlE was just there. If he did not sing any T numbers before my participation, he showed obesiance to sadguru by only singing nee nama roopamulaku.

The violinist Parur MS Ananthakrishnan (son of MA sundaresan) was quite demonstrative of violin skills , bit more melody would have helped . Trivandrum balaji gave a very good support his tani was also well done , perhaps he was bit tired as he had to play without upapakkavadhyam.

Pradeep is an amalgamation of three lovely musicians of today. I hear streaks of reportoire like sanjay, swara kalpana manodharma downpour like suryaprakash and also streaks of raga alapana manodharmam like abhishek raghuram. Of course the other two also have other attributes .

I keep hearing through grapevine that Pradeep also does composing along with few other youngsters, but certainly bucket load of talent . I wish him to fight, really fight hard and position himself in CM circuit which is not happening in the last few years . I recollect mahavishu post some time back that his father is a police officer- so he has not CM parental lineage. He was there in circuit 3 to 4 years back for sure. He must not be dismisssed again as another great youngster who is coming up which is really a lie in lot of cases . Pradeep has manodharmam and originality (the comparison with three was just meant to give a good metaphor period). Looking forward especially to hear pradeep singing a RTP.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 15 mins.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 18 Dec 2014, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Re: Trichy Pradeep Kumar@BGS Trust Hall on Dec 12th,2014

Post by rshankar »

Rajesh, seems to have been a lovely concert...I've not heard the muttu tANDavar composition, or the one by Sri Desikar either.
The nereval in the khamAs kRti was probably at 'Aturamuga karirAjuni brOcina vAsudEvuDE nIvu kadA'.....'aren't (kadA) you (nIvu) the same vAsudEva (vAsudEvuDE) who protected (brOcina) the king (rAjuni) of elephants (kari), gajEndra, with great eagerness/in a great hurry (Aturamuga)?' A clever use of the composer's mudra and a lovely place for nereval.

mahavishnu

Re: Trichy Pradeep Kumar@BGS Trust Hall on Dec 12th,2014

Post by mahavishnu »

Pradeep is an amalgamation of three lovely musicians of today. I hear streaks of reportoire like sanjay, swara kalpana manodharma downpour like suryaprakash and also streaks of raga alapana manodharmam like abhishek raghuram. Of course the other two also have other attributes .

I keep hearing through grapevine that Pradeep also does composing along with few other youngsters, but certainly bucket load of talent . I wish him to fight, really fight hard and position himself in CM circuit which is not happening in the last few years . I recollect mahavishu post some time back that his father is a police officer- so he has not CM parental lineage. He was there in circuit 3 to 4 years back for sure. He must not be dismisssed again as another great youngster who is coming up which is really a lie in lot of cases . Pradeep has manodharmam and originality (the comparison with three was just meant to give a good metaphor period). Looking forward especially to hear pradeep singing a RTP.
Rajesh, very interesting summary! I think I agree with you. There is a also a strong sense of layam that he has with all the Trichy Venkataraman training. As you say, I am sure that would be strongly evident in his pallavi singing skills.

Pradeep Kumar has a very interesting background and I think he has utilized his diversity of music experiences both on the CM stage and in his forays into other forms of music as well. My understanding is that his talent was promoted in so small part by Sri Shashikiran and Carnatica in the early years. I recall reading your review of his from one of the suburbs (nanganallur or such), where he was accompanied by Anantha and Charumathi Raghuraman.

Pradeep works a lot with Rahman, Raghavendra Rao (Srimushnam's son) and they are part of a band called Sean Roldan and friends. However, I am very happy to see that he has managed to keep his CM side (Alathur school no less) relatively unadulterated. I hope he is encouraged sufficiently so he continues giving quality CM performances. Once again, thanks for your review.