SANDEEP CONCERT 26-07-2015 @ WEST MAMBALAM

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
keerthi

Re: SANDEEP CONCERT 26-07-2015 @ WEST MAMBALAM

Post by keerthi »

rajesh,

I recollect that Vid. Pantula Rama has song Pallavis in Durga several times. The first time was probably in the Kanakadurga temple at Vijayawada, but then she has repeated it elsewhere.

Some googling revealed that she's sung a Durga pallavi as part of Carnatica's Pallavi navAham in October 2004, steered by the late lamented TRS.

http://www.carnatica.net/nvr/pallavinavaham-oct2004.htm

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

keerthi wrote:rajesh,

I recollect that Vid. Pantula Rama has song Pallavis in Durga several times. The first time was probably in the Kanakadurga temple at Vijayawada, but then she has repeated it elsewhere.

Some googling revealed that she's sung a Durga pallavi as part of Carnatica's Pallavi navAham in October 2004, steered by the late lamented TRS.

http://www.carnatica.net/nvr/pallavinavaham-oct2004.htm
keerthi
the above link is really a treasure. So many two rtp concerts were held in 2004 with so many artists singing rare ragas . Looks durga pallavi was first sung by pantula rama and then sandeep.

Tx to otherz who gave gnb references of a particular durga devarnama krithi. Ragamaliga I do know many have touched durga.

varsha

Post by varsha »

As a guy not conversant with the technical aspects of RTPs ( Since I have not learned to even identify notes ) I must that I have come across two kinds of RTPS in my listening career
a) The deep one , which clasps you like a python and builds into a rythmic climax , much like the dhrupad with many intricacies
b) The breezy one , that skims the surface like a kingfisher , swooping , picking and flying to hover around (I first encountered this kind at concerts of TVS.
Sandeeps Durga RTP was category B
Pantulas RTP was like category A .
That Pantula could tackled Durga in category A is mind boggling .

Rajesh
Somu has sung Durga delightfully to the accompaniment of Lalgudi . Their version makes me believe that they would have watched the movie "geet gaya patharone"in a theatre the previous evening .
MLV and RKS have many other tracks to their credit in this raga

harimau

Post by harimau »

varsha wrote:As a guy not conversant with the technical aspects of RTPs ( Since I have not learned to even identify notes ) I must that I have come across two kinds of RTPS in my listening career
a) The deep one , which clasps you like a python and builds into a rythmic climax , much like the dhrupad with many intricacies
b) The breezy one , that skims the surface like a kingfisher , swooping , picking and flying to hover around (I first encountered this kind at concerts of TVS.
Let me get one word in ahead of tiruppugazh:

Manavaadudaasaru! :lol: :evil: :twisted:

PS. Welcome to the club!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

harimau wrote:Welcome to the club!
I don't think that people who started the club need to be welcomed to the club! :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

varsha wrote:As a guy not conversant with the technical aspects of RTPs ( Since I have not learned to even identify notes ) I must that I have come across two kinds of RTPS in my listening career
Varsha
In general with the scope of ragas the RTP can be of type A or type B. Were you there for Pantula when she sang that RTP in durga in 2004 or any time before or after. By any chance is there a recording . I am assuming even Pantula may have sung it as only Type B.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I was not at the 2004 concert, Rajesh.
I also don't have much experience of being choked by a python. But I see what Varsha says is type A. I think sometime back i even wrote that the true blue RTP was an endangered species (like many exotic snakes also)
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... TP#p273473
And I heard Sandeep. His was type B. I won't argue if he should have done a Type A. But the way the RTP fitted into the concert, and the way he and accompanists delivered it, I liked it.

varsha

Post by varsha »

, and the way he and accompanists delivered it, I liked it.
I liked it too . But wondered like many other things I like , in life , if it was good to like it :P
I was not at the 2004 concert
I was there at the concert . Have a bootlegged poor quality recording spanning 62 mts.It was at our request that sjhe sang it then ( A fellow west mambalite - who is no more and myself ) I had uploaded it long long ago and can do it again in a different thread .
My point was that Durga fits into a bracket with other ragas which seem to have scope for a type A rtp until someone comes along and gives a type b version .
BVR L' s Hameer Kalyani RTP , MLV s Revathi RTP ....come to mind

thendral03

Post by thendral03 »

somebody please post the lyrics of Ramanai Tharuvai Arunachala Kavi