MEDITATIVE RAAG DURGA BY INJIKUDI SUBRAMANYAM

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
S.NAGESWARAN

MEDITATIVE RAAG DURGA BY INJIKUDI SUBRAMANYAM

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

The drop box Audio link of the meditative RAAG DURGA by Sri Injikudi Subramanyam is given below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2g0lkfhwxml3 ... 6.mp3?dl=0

ENJOY THE MUSIC.

S.NAGESWARAN.

Rsachi

Re: MEDITATIVE RAAG DURGA BY INJIKUDI SUBRAMANYAM

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. NAGESWARAN,
Kindly check the link at your end and correct it. I cannot access it.
Once I get the link, I will surely like to listen to it.
Thanks.
Sachi

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,
The Audio link of the raag durga given early got erased in my drop box and hence you were not able to listen to the music.

The new Audio link of the RAAG DURGA by Sri Injikudi Subramanyam is given below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/354 ... 3.1.16.mp3

ENJOY THE MUSIC.
S.NAGESWARAN.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. Nageswaran,
Thank you again.
I heard the recording. It is a very good recording, obviously done by you. Your friend and a great vidwan, Sri Injikudi Subramanyam, has spent over 30 minutes exploring and relishing the raga Durga. It is more a contemplation than a performance.

Raga Durga has the image in my mind of her delectable dives, soaring ascents, and a shimmering dance of delightful sounds. This Durga is different. It is more like a quiet conversation in a subdued voice between two friends. Imagine a long drive with your favourite musician in a well-airconditioned car, through the countryside, after a good lunch.Both of you enjoy each other's stories. But right now, the stories have a soporific effect. The Durga, in such a quiet mood, is merely hiding her true nature of vivacity,and energy.

The pitch of the nagaswaram is rather low for my liking. I would imagine that the vidwan may have liked to have a higher sruti.

Like in everything else, please take my opinion for what it is, for I perfectly fit the expression, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Thanks for the wonderful recording Nageshwaran sir. Deeply meditative indeed. Injukudi is a very special nadhasvaram player. The sound fills me up. I will definitely be coming back to it again, many times !
I would imagine that the vidwan may have liked to have a higher sruti.
Probably not. The choice of which shruti to play, for an Indian music soloist, is not casual. At any given time, the shruti being played is exactly where they artist wants to be, and the choice is the outcome of years, decades even, of introspection. Over the years, they experiment with small variations. The current choice, D, is quite common for the nadhasvaram. Rajarathinam often played in D or D# and so did Sheikh Chinna Maulana. I've heard Karakuruchi Arunachalam at a much higher F#. There are many samples in youtube, etc.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Uday, your're absolutely right, I am sure Sri Injikudi has chosen that shruti deliberately. His Pallavi Darbar 2015 concert is also in the same shruti D.
I was a bit misled by the timbre of the instrument, which is different from what I have heard from this great vidwan before. It might have been a special "muted" configuration or something?

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Dear Sachi,

I have observed when Shri. Injikudi plays a fairly elaborate hindustani raga towards the end of the concert, the timbre of the instrument is distinctly different - although he uses the same vaadhyam.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ok. Really.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

IT IS ALWAYS THE CASE WHEN THE MUSICIANS WHEN THEY ARE ABLE TO INTERNALIZE A SONG FULLY THAT WE ARE ABLE TO GET AN EXCELLENT PRESENTATION.

ON THE DAY OF THE CONCERT. I SPOKE TO SRI INGIKUDI SUBRAMANYAM TO PLAY THE RAAG DURGA IN A LEASURLY WAY AND THE OUTCOME WAS AN EXCELLENT PRESENTATION FROM HIM.

S.NAGESWARAN.

alphakrishnan

Post by alphakrishnan »

Can you please repost the link for late comers ...

Regards

Krishnan