Carnatic jam

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kvchellappa

Carnatic jam

Post by kvchellappa »

A novel idea by Sasikiran. Between the two brothers they cover day (ravi) and night (sasi) with music that never tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBKwspqtbY

thanjavooran

Re: Carnatic jam

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri chellappa,
Thanks for sharing the link.
Thanjavooran
08 06 2016

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Enjoyable program.Good to see Senior and Junior artists on stage.
Who is on Violin and mridangam?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Significantly, there were a number of singers from SSI school. to clebrate it as it were, they sang Marubalka.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Because all of them are PSNarayanaseamy's students.PSN is a student of SSI,Anyway Sri KVC is well aware of this.
Except perhaps Neyveli,most are from SSI school.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I did enjoy the program. Vocalist youngsters were not identified, until the end when Neyveli mentioned their names briefly. Although names as Vishnu, Akshay etc were somewhat familiar to me, I could only recognize Bharat Sundar, Kunnakkudi bmk, Abishek and Thiruvarur Girish ( because I had seen him in Cleveland program in March 2016 ). Neyveli had to ask the violinist "What is your name ? " Perhaps the next time around there will be a little better organization. The extempore virutham by Neyveli was labored but worked well. To me it appeared that Abishek was more playful than serious in his participation except in the last segment. He did a good job on mridangam, being the grand son of Raghu. The comradary among the youngsters was remarkable.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

It is unfortunate that Violinist's name was not mentioned.These names may be written on paper for reference.The program being impromptu,may be it is pardonable.
Every one was enjoying and the program turned out to be a good one.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I thought violinist is one of the names given below. Yes, the artists had the 'jam' spirit and performed with enthusiasm and keenness to take turns. Abhishek was enjoying himself in keeping with the spirit of the programme.

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

I love impromptu and informal music and wish I hadn't missed the event in person. This session seems to have been very enjoyable (haven't yet heard it end to end) and spontaneous. I specially liked Girish's singing and Abhishek's, of course the senior Sri NSG is always great at setting the tone. The mood of the program was just right for me -- everyone had their heart in the music with no competitiveness.

The event would have had a different balance with some feminine energy. Some solution can be found for sruti discrepances which are bound to be brought up. One pet peeve which comes up for me at almost all events these days -- the vinyl ('flex') banner. They announce the event for cameras and posterity, but are toxic to produce and dispose :-( I bet that with current technology the same text can be inserted in the video and we can avoid the PVC.

nulls

Post by nulls »

Hi, does anyone have this Carnatic jam video still? It used to be at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBKwspqtbY... was looking for it to share with a friend while we were talking about NSG sir's humour!

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

It was removed after some controversy in the comments with some commenters saying that Tiruvarur Girish did not get enough opportunities in the jam and some others saying that he didn't sing properly.