PARAMPARA-Yuva Sangeeth-Girijasankar Sunderesan Oct 14, 2016 - Rec.

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

PARAMPARA-Yuva Sangeeth-Girijasankar Sunderesan Oct 14, 2016 - Rec.

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf5su-y1pk

A manOranjana sangItam with manOranjani ( manavati) in the middle of the concert - yet to hear it all the way thru.

Ably enhancing accompaniment from violin and Mridangam/Ghatam. Arabhi , sAranga, CakravAgam , manOranjani , KalyAni. Unhurried talli ninnu nEra - shows good control on layam - and feels the kArvai everywhere. The voice is metallic somewhat - but the approach is very endearing.

Hear the Mridangam accompaniment for aTu kAra ( manavati) - a good interaction. I remember hearing a G.S Mani recording rendition ( Coimbatore with UKS?) and a Double mandolin album rendition from Srinivas - A pensive rAga.

Shreya's kalyANi reply is very thoughtful and projected the instrumental aspect very well. ella lO neraval is a good off beat take off for the viloma cApu kriti.

The youtube comment derides his effeminate style.. but fails to note the control and subtle verve he has everywhere. So what if his intonation resembles Smt. Bombay Jaishree, we should not be so fixated on the form.

For a change - emphasis on melody is refreshing when you get tired of insipid syllab-ifications ( noted as the masculine sigu-bigu :lol: ).

arasi

Re: PARAMPARA-Yuva Sangeeth-Girijasankar Sunderesan Oct 14, 2016 - Rec.

Post by arasi »

"Bigu sigu"! That expression 's new to me!

Well, he has a sweet voice (though he's not effeminate in his singing, I' d say). His pitch isn't that high either. When he sang aruNAchala nAtham, I imagined KVN singing it-- a bigu sigu (!) singer he was, but his anubhava-filled singing made it sound mellow and sweet.So...

A promising youngster, it seems...

Govindaswamy

Re: PARAMPARA-Yuva Sangeeth-Girijasankar Sunderesan Oct 14, 2016 - Rec.

Post by Govindaswamy »

The correct pronunciation of pallavi of manOranjani rAga song, with meaning is given below. (Courtesy Sri. V.Govindan)

aTu kArAd(a)ni palkan-
(a)bhimAnamu lEka pOyenA

Don’t You have feeling towards me to tell that ‘it is not done’?

அடு காரா(த3)னி பல்க-
(ன)பி4மானமு லேக போயெனா

அங்ஙனம் செய்யலாகாதெனக் கூற
(உனக்கு என்மீது) அன்பில்லாமற் போனதோ?

Govindaswamy