Ranjani Gayatri - Indian Fine Arts -30/12/2016

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
priyashekar

Ranjani Gayatri - Indian Fine Arts -30/12/2016

Post by priyashekar »

Ranjani Gayatri - Vocal
Rajeev - Violin
Delhi Sairam - Mridhangham
Guruprasad - Ghatam

Jaya Jaya Padhmanabha - Manirangu
Santhana Gopalam - Khamas
Amba manam - Panthuvarali A N at painthamizh
Bhajana - Suruti. A
Parama purusham - Lalitha Panchamam ??
Ra Ra Rajeeva Lochana - mohanam - a n s
Virutham followed by Nekkurugi - Abogi
Pag ghunguru - shuda Saranga
pavamana

A very clinical professional concert. The acoustics were bad But they did a good job.There were no wow moments but it was pleasing.

Sisters were as usual smiling supporting. A pleasing Suruti and Mohanam were highlights.

Rajeev Sairam and Guruprasad were good .

Highlight no abhang :D .

A good concert .

Madras-Talkies

Re: Ranjani Gayatri - Indian Fine Arts -30/12/2016

Post by Madras-Talkies »

These days there are no wow moments in their concerts. Instead they compliment (ah ha, Sabah, bale) each other at least every 3-4 minutes.

For seven minutes kambhoji raga rendition, ranjani complimented gayatri 18 times at Music academy.

Interestingly, she complimented gayatri every time she tried rendering pa da sa (isn't that the first three notes of Adi tala tharuni varnam) in kambhoji. Not sure if it so difficult for them to sing pa da sa notes.
Last edited by Madras-Talkies on 05 Jan 2017, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

They belt out sangati after sangati without any azhuththam or bhava. Only speed factor is there. Maybe the effect of having too much Hindustani knowledge/influence.
But this change has happened only in recent past few years. When they were new they were quite good

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

Well said @' pelt out sangatis Harishankark' Well said, please listen to their nereval these days. It's a standard template that just goes on in third kalam. And audience think the artist is in trans state and then they clap! The only good thing about their concert, they do not commit mistakes intentionally. They are little responsible in that manner.

yours_truly

Post by yours_truly »

Madras-Talkies wrote: they do not commit mistakes intentionally.
Who does?

svenkat

Post by svenkat »

HarishankarK wrote:They belt out sangati after sangati without any azhuththam or bhava. Only speed factor is there. Maybe the effect of having too much Hindustani knowledge/influence.
But this change has happened only in recent past few years. When they were new they were quite good
Surprised to hear you say that when they seem to be only 'stars' to perform to a consistently high standard. All the other stars of that generation are falling rapidly and making it easier for the NextGen to ascend.

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

svenkat wrote:
HarishankarK wrote:They belt out sangati after sangati without any azhuththam or bhava. Only speed factor is there. Maybe the effect of having too much Hindustani knowledge/influence.
Surprised to hear you say that when they seem to be only 'stars' to perform to a consistently high standard. All the other stars of that generation are falling rapidly and making it easier for the NextGen to ascend.

RaGa Crowd puller- Yes
Not sure- if they are ónly'stars to perform to a consistently high standard. Kindly define consistently high standard!
Other Stars of that Generations are falling- Who are the others you are referring to?
NextGen- NextGen artist certainly attracts large audiences these days. Fair point. My only concern is these NextGen artists have been performing for very few years. For NextGen artist, sustainability will be a challenge.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

svenkat wrote:
Sad state if their music is thought to be high standard.

narayan

Post by narayan »

yours_truly wrote:
Madras-Talkies wrote: they do not commit mistakes intentionally.
Who does?
Madras-Talkies, I guess? Otherwise I cannot explain "pelt out sangatis", changed from Harishankar's "belt out sangatis". Also "trans state", which per se seems something quite desirable?
Despite everything, people like Madras-Talkies seem drawn to their music in some irresistible manner. Must count for something. I can't imagine sitting through entire concerts just to list out all the things they found wanting. Surely people have better things to do.

svenkat

Post by svenkat »

HarishankarK wrote: Sad state if their music is thought to be high standard.
I am interested in knowing your reason to think otherwise. In my estimation, if the yardsticks were good voice, sruti shuddham, proportion, rendition of compositions and manodharma with command and creativity, they score on all these points. They also balance traditional ragas with less heard ones.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Personally I agree with narayan and HarishankarK.
svenkat wrote:
HarishankarK wrote: Sad state if their music is thought to be high standard.
I am interested in knowing your reason to think otherwise. In my estimation, if the yardsticks were good voice, sruti shuddham, proportion, rendition of compositions and manodharma with command and creativity, they score on all these points. They also balance traditional ragas with less heard ones.
If they do score on all those points, it would still be quite low in my estimation particularly recently - though it was once quite high in my estimation. I think they overdo it way too often, especially in the sangathis. That is, proportion comes in all forms. The sweetness and beauty of the music and their voice is thereby lost rather than highlighted, and the overall lack of consistency leads to other issues such as shruthi lapses.

Krishnan4856

Post by Krishnan4856 »

I do agree , they are crowd pullers because of the fast sangatis and RTP mostly.
Main kritis are plently they should sing that one too. My humble suggestion.
Their generation artists were singing for quite long time more than 25 to 30 years so voice will go . but remember they were also crowd pullers. It was difficult to get seat in early 90's ...