Srinathadi Guruguho Jayati- TM Krishna, the next level

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

Srinathadi Guruguho Jayati- TM Krishna, the next level

Post by Sachi_R »

Click on the image above to be led to a half-hour of ecstasy.

This video is from a recent concert of T M Krishna with Akkarai, Praveen Kumar and Atreya in Shivaji Park, Bombay.

This is part of a triumvirate, as I see it. The first part:

The RK Shreeramkumar lec-dem at SRLKM on Guruguha Vibhakti kritis, where he expounded on Dikshitar's first composition and Mangum Opus in Mayamalavagoula, paying tribute to
a. Guruguha, his deity, muse and preceptor, all in one, encompassing Sri Vidya, Guru Tatva and Advaita
b. Mayamalavagowla, 15th Mela, the core raga for teaching Carnatic musix fundamentals
c. Compositional structure highlighting the ascending steps of Carnatic lessons from Sarale Varase-Janti Varase-Alankara etc.
d. The esoteric path of Sri Vidya

The second part of the triumvirate is the 3 part Manodharma lec-dem of TMK at the same venue (as the linked video here) which unravels for us:
a. How raga alapana leverages the raga structure as one of three - either the heavy ragas built on the edifice of all-time great compositions, with the kampita gamaka being the trademark of Carnatic idiom, or scalar constructs like charukeshi, or zig zag quirk ragas like Malavi. Each affords a different aesthetic, and a different approach.
b. How niraval fills the syllables of a suitable line with musical enrichment in the eloquent gaps between syllables rather than just adding clever endings, with the laya, word splitting, upper speed etc.affording scope within this same game plan, all enhancing the musical metaphor.
c. Kalpana swaras, in patterns of 3,5 etc., embellishing the musical connects rather than exercising mere arithmetical combinations...

And the third part of the triumvirate is of course this power play of a rendition linked here with the majesty and melody that TMK brings to this rendition. A great song, in the hands of a master, becomes a boundless ecstasy. Akkarai, the prima donna of the violin, and the very sonorous percussion team, all make it a joy beyond words.

What does all this do for me? Take me to another level. The Hamsa-Ksheera nyaya is the way to go to that level with the modern master TMK. Heed not his opinions, for they are of mangroves and beaches. Rather, soar with his music, on wings of pure, classical, rich, music that is for all of us to dream of, savour, and ride on, to the clouds of ecstasy.

Are you with me?
Last edited by Sachi_R on 25 Apr 2017, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Re: Srinathadi Guruguho Jayati- TM Krishna, the next level

Post by Sachi_R »

I must tell here that our dear friend S. Nageswaran called me twice from Chennai to watch the lec-dem without fail. And one thing led to another, as you can see.

Thank you, Rasikas!!!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Both RKSK and TMK lecdems have been covered extensively in other threads.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Lec dem available in YouTube?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

TMK lecdems :http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29281

RKSK lecdem discussion:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 03#p314410

No Youtube recording of the latter AFAIK.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sachi - lovely, and tranquil.

But the very languor of the rendition magnifies every mispronunciation- in this instance, I found the repeated and forceful utterance of bhrahma (भ्रम्हा) instead of brahma (ब्रह्मा) very jarring.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ravi,
I applied "Hamsa-ksheera nyaya"! ☺️

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi, I am with you. Compared with previous renditions, the resistance training of his new approach elevates the kriti to a new level. During the transition from his old style to new, I have noticed him taking too many liberties with the time scale - which I never liked.

Here it is more balanced. Percussionists knew where to stop playing. I certainly felt a connection with his pregnant pause at mAtmaka kAdi matAnuSHTAno and a full halt at the next line - a line that has been very dear to me as you know - not for its esoterics - but for more a simpler experiential one that assures a Mom that the child is not going to have verbal disabilities once he/she utters the first of the syllables.

The line also connects societies that are divided, back at the fulcrum of their ancient interaction when Valluvar proclaims a-ka-ra as divine. That tamizh utilizes the word kara to suffix the "a" - meaning a-ness or "a" type of sound also is noteworthy.

It also reminded me of two people who stammer in speech but never do while singing.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 19:44 Are you with me?
I am totally with you. For small/medium dozes. A full length concert may get a bit tiring.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh 😀
I think even TMK knows that!

Why do you think he intersperses his concert with several violin solos, 2-3 tanis, conversation, even I think a bio-break....

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I do not know how many really enjoy a full concert all in vilamba kalam. An average (who knows no more than good/bad concert) rasika may not, and it is the nectar to connoisseurs. With even the 'improvisations', it seems to lack unity. It is more a mixture, not a compound, a collection of flowers, not a garland. He intends it to be so, as he has rejected the concert idea.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

During the concert era (of the past) also there were vilamba singers like MDR - but well not a lot of people appreciated. An ordinary rasika of yester years still seeks out mOhanam, pIlu , bhimplas, but still likes a song not an Alapana.

Dikshitar is wealth of structure, and for those that can hold the note in elongation, a slower rendition is not essentially different from a faster rendition.

DKP sings mAyA maya viSvAdiSHTAnO hugging the beats but with pregnant intonation giving a meditative feel.

There is self similarity between the slow and fast lines. dInAvanOdyukta can be tried in lower kAla first, like how suvAsita nava in SrI mAtRbhUtam is sung in only lower kAla by Brinda Mukta.

He has a very mature Mridangist by his side, and the naDai overlays should excite anyone who has "roamed the beats" in Indian music in general so to say! In fact that is one key route to connoisseur-ship!

TMK also seem to have curated his Akarams to be not too wayward into his new Avatar and the intonation, even if it has nasals, is more controlled!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 13:07 Why do you think he intersperses his concert with several violin solos, 2-3 tanis, conversation, even I think a bio-break....
How I wish he would intersperse his concert with some faster kalapramanam songs too?

Actually he used to do that quite well. Then he got it into his head that he should not be "entertaining" the audience.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

About 40 years ago, Hyderabad-Secunderabad was a city struggling to come to terms with its "city" status. Houses on rent were rare and poorly configured. Roads were bad. Drivers were crazy, especially bus drivers.

Some wise man thought of a solution. On the back of every bus, they painted a motto :

"nidhAnamu pradhAnamu"
meaning, a slow pace is a sign of dignity and substance.

I feel that TMK was inculcated this value as a toddler, but discarded it in a rush of youth, and now uses the approach for therapeutic reasons.

😀

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Roads were bad. Drivers were crazy, especially bus drivers.
Now roads are good. Drivers are still crazy -- maybe not bus drivers. :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Does he touch the tara sthayee shadjam in this? Some moments in the video are really cool.. like when Akkarai seems to egg him on or Praveen Kumar defers to Chadrasekhara Sarma.

sowmyamohan2005

Post by sowmyamohan2005 »

RKSK lecdem discussion:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 03#p314410

No Youtube recording of the latter AFAIK.
[/quote]

Sachi sir,

This is a beautiful lec Dem by Shri Shriram Kumar on the same topic. Muthuswami Dikshitar and the vibhakti kritis such a treasure trove of information.

https ://youtu.be/KlI4uJuVL2c

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

rshankar wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 08:33 Sachi - lovely, and tranquil.

But the very languor of the rendition magnifies every mispronunciation- in this instance, I found the repeated and forceful utterance of bhrahma (भ्रम्हा) instead of brahma (ब्रह्मा) very jarring.
Gayathri Venkataraghavan also does this especially I can remember for the Sri Hari Vallbhe song where she uttered Brahma Rudradi in this way.