T.M Krishna @ St.Andrews Auditorium, Mumbai - 16th Sep, 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Narayanan NB

T.M Krishna @ St.Andrews Auditorium, Mumbai - 16th Sep, 2017

Post by Narayanan NB »

Vocal - T.M Krishna
Violin - Akkarai Subbalakshmi
Mridangam - Manoj Siva
Kanjira - Aniruddh Athreya

1) Gajavadana Sammodita in Todi
2) Ragam and Tanam in Hamir Kalyani followed by a composition of Perumal Murugan as announced by TMK
3) Brief aalapanams of Suruti, Shankarabharanam and then Ananda Bhairavi followed by O Jagadamba
4) Kamas aalapanam followed by a composition in Malayalam
5) Chaturdasha Ragamalika of MD
6) A composition in Behag
7) Concluded with a Tagore song

It was only a year back in August 2016, that I had heard TMK @ Shanmukhananda where each ragas sung, kept invoking a deep feeling, completely making me forget that a concert was going on. This concert too invoked the same feeling of not being in a concert, but the only difference being that this time I felt being caught in the midst of some political rally. The swarams sung for Todi was good with the typical TMK improvisations at Mandhra Sthayi. Rest of the concert was more of a political speech than a musical dialogue (with lectures about right to protest etc - I fail to understand what music has in connection with these stuffs).
TMK remains my favorite Carnatic vocalist amongst the current. I tend to agree with TMK on most of his ideas about Carnatic music. It doesn't make any difference to me that he doesn't follow a traditional format or his I don't give a damn to the audience attitude as long as he stays focused on music. But that's TMK, when he is focused on music he takes the listener to a different plane altogether. Unfortunately, there were little takeaways from this concert.

On another note, Manoj Siva was brilliant. His soft touches are just wonderful. TMK-Manoj Siva is indeed one of the best combinations of today.