Trivandrum Navaratri Mandapam Concerts 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sriram SL

Trivandrum Navaratri Mandapam Concerts 2017

Post by Sriram SL »

September 21, Thursday

Vocal - Sri Ashwath Narayanan
Violin - Sri B. Ananthakrishnan
Mridangam - Sri Tanjore Praveen Kumar
Ghatam - Sri Udupi Sridhar

Krithi List:
1. Sarasijanabha Murare - Mayamalavagaula - Adi (Varnam)
2. Paripalayamam - Ritigaula - Roopakam
3. Mandaradhara Sunadaratara - Todi - Misra Chapu
4. Gopanandana Valaripunuta - Bhushavali - Adi
5. Sarasaksha Paripalaya - Pantuvarali - Adi
6. Alarsara Paritapam - Surati - Misra Chapu
7. Bhogindra Sayinam - Kuntalavarali - Khanda Chapu
8. Devi Jagajjanani - Sankarabharanam - Adi (Main)
9. Bajat Murali - Patdeep - Dadra
10. Taruni Njanenthu Cheyvu - Dvijavanti - Misra Chapu (Padam)
11. Sarasijabha Nin Charanasevaya - Saurashtram - Misra Chapu
Last edited by Sriram SL on 23 Sep 2017, 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Sriram SL

Re: Trivandrum Navaratri Mandapam Concerts 2017

Post by Sriram SL »

September 22, Friday

Vocal -Vid. Amrutha Venkatesh
Violin - Sri Avaneeswaram S.R. Vinu
Mridangam - Sri S.J. Arjun Ganesh
Ghatam - Dr S. Karthick

Krithi List:
1. Sarasijanabha Ninnu - Kambhoji - Ata Tala (Varnam)
2. Deva Deva Kalayamite - Mayamalavagaula - Roopakam
3. Pahi Tarakshupuralaya - Anandabhairavi - Adi
4. Deva Deva Mam Palaya - Todi - Misra Chapu
5. Narasimha Mamava - Arabhi - Khanda Chapu
6. Pahimam Sri Vageeshvari - Kalyani (Main)
7. Kalakanthi Kathankaaram Sakhi - Neelambari - Misra Chapu (Padam)
8. Krishn Chandr Radha Man Mohan - Sindhubhairavi - Adi
9. Srisha Padmanabha Pahi - Khamas - Adi (Tisra Nada)

melam72

Post by melam72 »

I hope that, by the next Navaratri Mandapam concert, a few more Swathi Thirunal abhangs will be manufactured so that the Cowherdess can sing here, as well as a few Tamil songs so that the Car Driver can feature them in his concerts alongside masterpieces the Money Song.

Perhaps they could do a Jugalbandhi, singing Abhangs and pedestrian Tamil songs at the same time!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... bvhB2pvVOE

Amrutha Venkatesh 2017 Navaratri AIR Relay recording

sankark

Post by sankark »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyQ1B8m4kA

Of Aswath Narayanan on Day 1

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

rasikas.org is so fortunate that we get a drishti pariharam in most threads.

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

September 24 . Sunday

Vocal : Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin: Sri S.Vardarajan
Mridangam: Sri Nanjil Arul
Ghatam: Sri Perukavu P.L.Sudheer

Krithi List:
1. Vanajaksha Ninne - Saveri - Ata Tala (Varnam)
2. Jaya Jaya Padmanabhanujesha - Manirang - Adi
3. Kalayami Raghuramam - Begada - Misra Chapu
4. Gangeya Vasanadhara - Hamir Kalyani - Adi
5. Bharati Mamava - Todi - Adi (Main Krithi)
6. Japata Japata Harinama - Ragamalika (Mand, Sushama, Behag, Sindhubhairavi) - Adi

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 02:32 rasikas.org is so fortunate that we get a drishti pariharam in most threads.
If you click on your id displayed on the top right, you will see "User Control Panel". Clicking on it will show you the "Friends and Foes" tab that will help you hide posts you would rather not see by default.

I have been enjoying this really nice feature for a while now.

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 10:31
kvchellappa wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 02:32 rasikas.org is so fortunate that we get a drishti pariharam in most threads.
If you click on your id displayed on the top right, you will see "User Control Panel". Clicking on it will show you the "Friends and Foes" tab that will help you hide posts you would rather not see by default.

I have been enjoying this really nice feature for a while now.
Why would one create an echo chamber?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I have one good reason :-) Looks like KVC has it too.

More power to you if your digestive capabilities exceed ours.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks Suresh.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Hope they release the complete concert - not just the AIR specials! When is the grand young lady singing? Hope someone provides a bootlegged or otherwise complete concert of hers....

CRama

Post by CRama »

The Grand Old Lady performing tomorrow.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Posted Anuradha Kannan's review of Sanjay's concert in Tamizh in Tamil section. (from FB)

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

September 25 , Monday

Violin (Solo) - Sri S.Varadarajan
Mridangam - Prof T.V.Gopalakrishnan

Krithi List:

1. Sarasijanabha - Kambhoji - Ata Tala (Varnam)
2. Paripahi Ganadhipa - Saveri - Adi
3. Krithi in Raga Dharmavati - Khanda Chapu
4. Kalayami Nandakamaneeya Balam - Kannada - Misra Chapu
5. Vande Sada Padmanabham - Navarasa Kannada
6. Janani Mamava - Bhairavi - Misra Chapu
7. Valapu Tala Vasama - Atana - Misra Chapu (Padam)
8. Suno Sakhi Meri - Behag - Adi

I do not know about the krithi in Dharmavati, it could be some krithi traditional sung in another raga which is now tuned to Dharmavati.
Also, I could not catch one last bhajan, it was played in madhyama sruthi. (Though the tune sounded familiar, I couldn't put my fingers on which song it is). Perhaps my fellow forumers could help me.

Pardon my ignorance.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Sriram. Have to look for the concert on You Tube. Wasn't home at the time of AIR airing.
valapu tAla vaSamA? jumps out of the memory bank. Haven't heard it in ages!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Narayanan has posted Varadarajan's concert excerpts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ly_hL ... Vc2kWz6J-6

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kvchellappa wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 18:33 Posted Anuradha Kannan's review of Sanjay's concert in Tamizh in Tamil section. (from FB)
Thank you anuradha kannan and also KVC . Anuradha kannan has given far more contextualization to a carnatic concert and also kept a real tab also on the musical proceedings- kudos for her anubava parimAnam (I dont even know how to write that 2 phrase in tamil) . I have also read aravindan mudaliar who also writes on sanjay concert . There is some uniqueness when you express in thamizh atleast to me .I have never struggled to speak in tamil but I have struggled to write and nowadays to read tamil .It is a joy to read anuradha writeup . The posts of aravindan, anuradha and few more are all exclusive walled garden posts of sanjay. But they are great in positioning and marketing sanjay. In few cases i donot agree on the musical aspects , but that is just a moot point - because the same can be felt even for each of the other post inclusive of mine.

About 8 to 10 years back when rama verma was writing in the forum i expressed in one post that I would love to make it once to navaratri mantapam concerts . I have only visual imagery of trivandrum but no aural cm imagery. I wish I get atleast one chance.

Thank you anu rAdha with your anu bhAvA (I will struggle to write even this one phrase in tamil).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh, Aravindan's responses to Sanjay's music are a treat to read. So are Anuradha's.They are overwhelming, because they are written in our own language. You can think in tamizh too, which would aid your fluency in your mother tongue, and you can own it...:)
There's a special relish to our language, but at RasikAs, we communicate in english so that all of us can share our love for music.
Music is an expression of the heart in singing, strings, beats and in listening to it--to all of us, no matter which language we speak. Yet, we come together because of english!
RasanA is tamizh comes bubbling. That's the nature of the language--an ideal mozhi for expression without bounds.

Read what I've written in the Events Announcement section about Sanjay's concert. I will 'translate' :) that now into tamizh. You may see the difference...
Last edited by arasi on 28 Sep 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

வானொலியில், ஸஞ்சயின் கச்சேரி காங்கேய வஸன தர கிருதியுடன் துவங்கியது. சுரங்கள் தொடர்கின்றன. நிரவலுக்கான பாவம் அவற்றிலே பொங்கிப் பெருக்கெடுக்கின்றன. அந்தக் கட்டுமானத்திலே அவை நளினமாக‌ மலர்கின்றன. இந்துஸ்தானி பிடிகளும் ஏதோ அதிகப்படி அலங்காரம்போலல்லாது அவற்றுடனே இசைந்து ஒலிக்கின்றன--கேரளக் கடற்கரையிலே இன்பமாகத் தோணியில் மிதந்து செல்வது போலவே...
தோடி ஆலாபனையும், அதன் தொடர்ந்த மோன நிலையாக ஒலிக்கிறது. அதனுடன், அந்த செறிய ராகத்தின் மறைந்தே துலங்கும் குகைகளின் சில வடிவமைப்புகள் நமக்குப் புலப்படுகின்றன. ராகத்தின் செழுமை, அதன் நெளிவு சுளிவுகளுடன் நம்மை வந்தடைகின்றன.அந்த இன்பத்துக்குக் களி சேர்க்க வரதுவின் வயலின்...மிருதங்கமும் கடமும் பக்க பலமாகப் பின்னணியில் ஒலித்துக் கொண்டேயிருக்கின்றன...
Last edited by arasi on 28 Sep 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Arumai

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

க ல க் கி ட் டீ ங் க அ ர சி அ வ ர் க ளே !

Was at a Sivan tribute concert by Sanjay yesterday. 2.5 hours of bliss as only Sanjay can. Ashok Ramani's vote of thanks was heartfelt and each line applauded raucously by the standing audience.

arasi

Post by arasi »

nanRi, Chellappa.
Suresh, mikka nanRi. Rajesh wouldn't mind a language lesson from me, I thought.
Lucky you! You heard Sivanisai. I'm sure the selection of songs (one or two new uruppaDi-s too) was excellent. Please list them...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Let me see:

1. Gajavadana, Sriranjani
2. kedaram, sakala bhuvana
3. Simhendramadhyamam, ihapuram enum
4. vasantha, natarajo vijayate(?)
5. kambodhi, aadum deivam
6. theril erinaan, kalyani
7. unnai ninandAlE, senjurutti
8. viruttam, muruganai bhaji maname, jonpuri
9. Karpagamey, madhyamavathi

Concert was taut as a bowstring. Could have easily gone for 3 hours but the neraval and swaras in the main were abbreviated to ensure concert did not exceed the time allotted.

Ashok Ramani mentioned that:

1. No one can sing a tribute concert for Sivan like Sanjay can.
2. Every time Sanjay sings kambodhi, he brings in so much original novelty
3. Was nostalgic about the Margazhi bhajanai around Kapali temple and Sanjay singing Adum deivam there.
Last edited by sureshvv on 28 Sep 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I ask for a favor (of the song list) and get extra, extra. Thanks! Ashok Ramani's sentiments are genuine. From my years of watching him (on streaming) in Cleveland, it wouldn't have been just alankArap pEchu (mere dressed up praise).

Vasantha is a new number, I guess. In sanskrit as well ;)
Of course, there's no Sivan celebration without kaRpagAmbikai or kapAli...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks Suresh.
Sriram had tweeted about ihaparam as it was being sung mentioning that it was sung by Saraswathu Bai first and by MS in Sevasadanam. Sanjay has a knack of feeding the nostalgia of people like he did it with Oho kalame.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You are welcome.

Have filled up some details that I could not remember before.

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

September 29 , Friday (Final Day)

Vocal - Sri Vishnudev Namboothiri
Violin - Sri Trivandrum Sampath
Mridangam - Sri Nanjil Arul
Morsing - Sri Payyanur Govindaprasad

Krithi List:
1. Sarasijanabha - Kambhoji - Ata Tala (Varnam)
2. Paripahi Ganadhipa - Saveri - Adi
3. Paramananda Natana - Kedaram - Adi
4. Bhavati Vishvaso Me Bhavatu - Mukhari - Misra Chapu
5. Pahi Jagajjanani - Vachaspati - Adi
6. Paramapurusham Hridaya - Lalita Panchamam - Khanda Chapu
7. Pahi Parvata Nandini Mamayi - Arabhi - Adi
8. Manasi Dussahamayyo (Panimatimukhi Bale) - Ahiri - Misra Chapu (Padam)
9. Kalaye Sri Kamalanayane Charane - Chenchurutti - Rupakam
10. Itu sahasamulu - Saindhavi - Adi (Javali)
11. Jamuna Kinare - Misra Pilu - Adi

I feel that singers should give a little more attention to the Sahitya of the Krithi and go for judicious word-splitting.
In the krithi 'pAhi parvata nandini mAmayi', the anupallavi line is 'vAhinItaTanivAsini kEsarivAhanE ditijALividAraNE'.
Most of the singers sing the first line as 'vAhinItaTanivAsini kEsari' and then repeat this line with sangatis. One wonders whether its about a lion (kEsari) who resides on the banks of the river (vAhini) OR is it about the Devi who rides on the lion (kEsarivAhanE) and resides on the banks of the river (vAhinItaTanivAsini).
I understand that sometimes it becomes a bit difficult to split the lines/words strictly adhering to the meaning (which often results in sounding odd), but the singers could be smart about it and have a workaround.
I think Vid. Amrutha Venkatesh deserves accolades in this department; she has set herself an excellent example for giving importance to the sahitya, exhibiting clarity, exercising snesible word-splitting, all the while maintaining the aesthetics cleverly.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, sAhityA bhAva and meaning diminishes with one not paying attention to the meaning of the words and in pausing at the wrong places. As you observe, at times,it is difficult to do. Breath control is needed in other instances to achieve it. He's young. I'm sure he will get better at that. After neraval too, I like to hear the phrases go back to anchoring words which makes sense--not half-gobbled up word (s) which turn out to be nonsensical ones!

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

I completely agree with you, ma'am.
I also wish to point out that in the above case particularly (a case of mere overlook), breath control does not pose an issue at all, since one could simply stop the first line at 'vAhinItaTanivAsini', sing a few rounds of sangatis, then proceed to sing the next line as 'kEsarivAhanE ditijALividAraNE' and then singing both lines together for the final rounds of sangatis.
I think this is because of the way it is taught by the gurus and students blindly following it without caring to pause for realization. I say this from my own experience, as I used to sing the same wrong way. Earlier, when I began learning music, singing Telugu krithis meant memorizing the words as I had been taught (since I did not speak/understand Telugu back then, now I can understand the basics of the language) without taking an effort to understand what I am singing. I was very young and did not know about the do's and dont's. Later, I became conscious and began to look for the meanings and all. It was then I embarrassingly realised that I was singing many words wrongly (putting it mildly) and splitting the words senselessly; if a Telugu speaker happens to listen he would stab himself, figuratively. What is the point of packing as many sangatis as possible in a line, when the sahitya of the line is being slaughtered :)
Arasi ma'am has given another important point about Neraval singing.
These are definitely some areas of refinement as far a singer is concerned and I wish more effort is made towards such small, albeit important things.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

sureshvv wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 06:32 க ல க் கி ட் டீ ங் க அ ர சி அ வ ர் க ளே !

Was at a Sivan tribute concert by Sanjay yesterday. 2.5 hours of bliss as only Sanjay can. Ashok Ramani's vote of thanks was heartfelt and each line applauded raucously by the standing audience.
Am I confused? The title and discussion so far was about Navaratri Mandapam concerts... .why have Sivan and Sanjay crept in? Let's keep to the topic - and please start a separate thread for this worthy discussion.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

That is why Suresh says 'க ல க் கி ட் டீ ங் க அ ர சி அ வ ர் க ளே !'

arasi

Post by arasi »

kalangAdIr, sridharE, kalangAdIr!
I am still with kaLakaNTi and talapu tAla vaSamA?, the songs I love listening to, and they were sung at Navaratri Mandapam this year...
Still, one thing leads to another (happens as rasikAs are sharing). Here, it strictly stayed with music, and took a detour only to another concert of the same vidvAn in Chennai, soon after his Thiruvanathapuram concert.
Hope we get reviews of other TVM concerts too from those who attended them or listened to them on the web...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Posting#35

Hey- What is this i wonder?Japanese?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

hnbhagavan wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 13:55 Posting#35

Hey- What is this i wonder?Japanese?
Spam, now deleted.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I was fortunate to attend three concerts this year, Prof Venkatraman (Pantuvarali), Padmashri Parassala Ponnamaal (Suddha saveri) and Sarvashree tamarakkadu govindan namudhiri.

Just one one observations... Prof Venkatraman sang several new compositions, which i didn't note down, one of them was behag.. Interesting concert... Ponnammaal amma was pure gold as ever, with restrictions related to voice, old age etc. She sang chaste purvikalyani, nattakurinji and suddha saveri. And what can i saw about tamarakkadu ! just soaked in divine music... as prince rama varma would put it, it was punyaham sprinkled all over navarathri mandapam.. and i could hear MDR music through his music.. Such nidAnam in music... Waiting for Decemeber to hear him again in Naada inbam...