Vijay Siva@Sringeri Temple on Sept 28th 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Vijay Siva@Sringeri Temple on Sept 28th 2017

Post by rajeshnat »

VijaySiva@Sringeri Temple on Sept 28th 2017
------------------------------------------
Vocal : N Vijay Siva
Violin : RK Shriram Kumar
Mrudangam : Manoj Siva

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Free concet
Day/Duration : Thursday/ 1 hours and 55 minutes
Time : 6:40 to 8:35 pm
Occasion : As part of their yearly navarathri

01A. Short slokham .... could not catch lines - hamsadhwani??
01B. vArana mukhavA - hamsadhwani - KI

02. amba vAni (N) - keeravani - hmb
5 mins neraval in paradEvi ninnu bhajiyincE bhaktulanu brOcE

03. vinarAdhA nA manavi vinatA suta vAhana (R,N) - chakravAkham - Tirupati narayanaswamy
6 mins raga alapanai and 4 mins return
4 mins neraval in tirupati pura vAsa deva venkateshA

04. aRunaAchalanAtham (R,S)- sarangA - MD
5 mins alapana and 3 mins return
5 mins swaras

05. Sri KamalambikE avayA - ghanta - MD
06. seethammA mAyammA - vasantA- T

07A. manasu swadheenamai (R N S T) - shankarAbharanam - T
11 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
7 mins neraval in tanuta rAdA vAriki ????
7 mins swaras
07B. tani for 7 mins

08. bhajE SharadAmbAm-naLinakAnti, nATakurinji, shri, kIravANi, latAngi, sAmA, jaganmOhini and CArukEsi- adishankarar (tunesmith is RKSK)

09A. viruththam PArkhum thisai thOrum pAsangusamum - nAdanAmakriyA +
shenjurutti + punnagavarAli
09B. kanagashaila - punnagavarAli - SS

10. ninaithathai ...perumAle - ?? - thirruppugazh
10. shree kamalAmbikE -shree ragam - MD
11. brief slokham ....shree chakrarAjeshwari (slokham) - shree ragam
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Oct 2017, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Vijay Siva@Sringeri Temple on Sept 28th 2017

Post by rajeshnat »

Vijay started with a very short slokham and gave a start in hamsadhwani. The krthi varanamukha was not the best of start more due to operational problem. When the relative volume of vocalist was lower than the two accompanists it becomes a bit of stretch for me to get the right aesthetics. AmbA vAni is an extremely lovely krithi , i have personally heard live only once - atleast that is what I recollect when bangalore shankar sang in one of our rasikas concert . I cannot take recordings of TNS amba vani from my head

Keeravani amba vani is certainly a little odd krithi from the rest of the songs in that raga - tempo is fast for the krithi , could have got the musical idea but still the relative volume of vocalist was bit lower than the accompanist . Sound was adjusted right post keeravani, the operational problem also got sorted out when the microphone engineer surveyed and adjusted.I wish it was alteast done before keeravani amba vani.

Chakravakham alapana was chiseled right and he continued with a DKP number of tirupati narayanaswamy. This song did not give me that oomph at some places vijay slightly sagged . Neraval was just done there was not much of laya change that I noticed in his chakravakham neraval.Swaras were measured but done well in a typical DKP/DKJ school paddantara.

Saranga was next and his voice took a bit more stronger texture with krithi and swaras which slipped bit in alapana of saranga. ghanta rendition with the rare MD krithi was superb. Ghanta the raga we can call as a major mix of bhairavi + dhanyasi and a minor shade of punnagavarali . I could aurally notice the clever mixture to give a ghanta its triple sundae flavour. Vijay speciality of singing MD krithis came very well with ghanta- his right enunciation enhancing raga bhavam was indeed there with ghanta. Vijay's vasantha with seethamma was not a fully complete filler -voice did not manoeveur with a real over drive mode and with no dash of swaras it was just a quick closure vasanta.

The main shankarabharanam with alapana was well done , not very elaborate in alapana but the contours of sankarabharanam was covered well. Being Navarathri i was not expecting manasu swadheena which i am assuming is only a rama krithi. But no qualms in the way he sang the krithi .Neraval and swaras were well done with the usual censor of dkp/dkj school.

In the tukkadas the kanakashaila and the last shree kamalambike conveyed to me lot of enuciation aesthetics which is vijay's speciality. I have heard the RKSK tuned ragamaliga bhajE sharadambam few times before , i did not register that level of excellence.The viruththam is well researched but when he sings quickly without a repetition it just misses a bit of muse. THe thirruppugazh was a quick bonker that ended in usual keyword perumAle

RKSK violin did toe most of the time in the zone of excellence . I liked his alapana and neraval return consistency .RKSK in few swara returns at few places there was bit of excess press that did not get into the melodic violin sunaadam . Manoj Siva played with sensitivity without robbing vijay ideas .His tani was quick and gave more airtime to his elder brother which is always welcome.

Vijay plans exceptionally well with the choice of numbers and that indeed came up well and he is always in my top 3 or 4 . A bit more zoning in the creative quotient of say swaras or raga alapana could have made it as a better concert(I am not expecting way too much as it is a temple concert).

Overall a very good concert for 1 hour and 55 mins

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Why slokHam? Will slokam not be good? Perhaps in the north they would like shlokam like Shankara.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kvchellappa wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 08:56 Why slokHam? Will slokam not be good? Perhaps in the north they would like shlokam like Shankara.
KVC,
I am assuming u have misunderstood what I have written . I did not say anything about slokham at all , i was talking about the start had microphone sound setting issue . May be you have to read again what I have written . May I know what you meant as slokham like shankara??

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

In the north श is written as sha, while I am used to sa. As for क it is universally written as ka. Why kha (slokham)?

malavi

Post by malavi »

Is there vinaradana Manavi in chakravaham heard one in devagandhari.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 07:20 Being Navarathri i was not expecting manasu swadheena which i am assuming is only a rama krithi.
It is not the deity that is the issue there! It critiques mantra and tantra ;) - so appropriate isn't it? :lol:

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

malavi wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 20:12 Is there vinaradana Manavi in chakravaham heard one in devagandhari.
Malavi,
Apart from devagandhari krithi from sadguru Thyagaraja , there is also
vinarAda nA manavi vinatA suta vAhana -chakravakham - tirupati narayanaswamy. I have disambiguated the two by providing more phrases in my first post.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Oct 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 07:20 Being Navarathri i was not expecting manasu swadheena which i am assuming is only a rama krithi.
In contrast any kriti that sings krishna jananam with references to avatAram of ambal (mAyA) at the same time will be very appropriate! Srivatsa Jayarama Sarma, will digress to list all the kshetrams of Ambal @ Ayodhya Mandapam when this point comes in his Narayaneeyam discourse and in one of the times it was the day preceding the Varalakshmi vratam!

He would mention that all svaroopas of ambal are intended to bestow all the riches on humans!

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 07:20 THe thirruppugazh was a quick bonker that ended in usual keyword perumAle
Did you catch the raga?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vocalist wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 22:11
rajeshnat wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 07:20 THe thirruppugazh was a quick bonker that ended in usual keyword perumAle
Did you catch the raga?
No I dropped the raga .

varsha

Post by varsha »

I cannot take recordings of TNS amba vani from my head
https://archive.org/details/03AmbAVANiK ... hAgavathar
I cant take this of , Mine !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

varsha wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 08:19 https://archive.org/details/03AmbAVANiK ... hAgavathar
How is it that the violin sounds exactly the same intonation/modulation as the voice? Are those some true instrumental voices? :o :cry:
I meant just the alapanai!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 22:27
Vocalist wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 22:11
Did you catch the raga?
No I dropped the raga .
It's probably ninaiththadhu eththanai (thiruththaNigai). DKP / DKJ sing it in Mohanam.

And Rajesh, most Thirupugazh end in Perumale, there is also Kumarone and Thambirane [Thandaiani ..].

sankark

Post by sankark »

varsha wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 08:19
I cannot take recordings of TNS amba vani from my head
https://archive.org/details/03AmbAVANiK ... hAgavathar
Two words, just two words: Wow! Thanks!