R Suryaprakash for Suswara College of Music

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kvchellappa

R Suryaprakash for Suswara College of Music

Post by kvchellappa »

Concert by
R Suryaprakash
Srinidhi Mathur
Srimushnam Raja Rao
Trichy Krishnaswamy

Suryaprakash started ‘vakrathunda mahakaya suryakotisamaprabha’, but before he could sing ‘nirvighnam kuru’, vighnam came in the form of introduction by a lady and thanks giving by Sudhindra.
Suryaprakash again sang the vinayaka sloka and vanajaksha varnam in Ritigowla.
Then came brova bharama with a typical MMIish start and reminding us of MMI right through up to swaraprasthara.
He launched into vachaspathi alapana that was unmistakably vachaspathi right through. Sahasrakaramandithe, from MMI staple, was sung with neraval and swaras.
Atana alapana was followed by nimma bhAgya doddadA namma bhAgya doddadA. Definitely, namma (rasikas’) bhagya was doddade.
Thookkiya thiruvadi in Sankaraabharanam followed staraight. Neraval had etthanaiyo jAlam. It had gone into retirement, one thought.
A majestic Kiravani alapana came next. Predictably it was kaligiyunde, with neraval at the oft-beat bhAgavathAgre, and swaras. It was a grand affair.
The sound level was high for the small hall. Predicatbly, mrdangam was prominent, but Suryaprakash’s voice had the needed strength and survived. His voice is an asset with melody and range. It was in fine fettle and he held the audience, good strength despite webcast, in rapture. It was heartening to see a few boys enjoying, keeping the beat.
I left after this and listened on the web the closing stages.
K P Jayan was there and must satisy the curiosity of serious rasikas with substantial details.

kvchellappa

Re: R Suryaprakash for Suswara College of Music

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is justice to the grand cocnert from K P Jayan
https://kpjayan.wordpress.com/

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chellappa,
Thanks for your review. Wish I were there. Delighted to read this thread on two counts. Suryaprakash's performance and Jayan's discerning review on it which you have brought here.The former for his never-a-dull moment concert, his imagination and that expressive, never-failing voice of his, which goes with it all. Artistic hOtA (ego displaying tendencies), he has none, and the nature of the concert being such (Sudheendra, a refined percussionist with his guru bhakti, is what I mean), Surayprakash would have sweetly put up with all the distractions which were there.
As for Srimushnam, what a seasoned percussionist--who would still not consider budging even a little in toning down his penchant for noise!
HMB's kannaDa kruti is new to me.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Oh, dear! I read the other thread just now. Hope Sudheendra is not upset with me too. Srimushnam's vidvat and fine playing in the earlier years, I have not forgotten. How he has made 'too much sound' part of his playing now, does bother rasikAs...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

What is the other thread?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vedavalli's concert on Oct 22nd at SRLKM...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks.