Vishnudev Nambootri - Varadarajan - Mannargudi Easwaran - Puurushotaman _ for Paramapara on 16112017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
ram1999

Vishnudev Nambootri - Varadarajan - Mannargudi Easwaran - Puurushotaman _ for Paramapara on 16112017

Post by ram1999 »

what a lovely musician Vishnu is. Solid Team effort. Varadarajan and Sri Easwaran added sheen to the lovely music produced by Vishnu.

Started with the grand Varnam in Bhairavi - viribhoni
Mahaganapathe - Natanarayani - Dikshitar
A lovely Devamanohari - evarikai avatharame of Swami Thyagayya.
A splendid Purvikalyani - Deva Deva Jagadeesa of Swati Tirunal. A KVN's favorite.
Renuka Devi - kannada bangala - Dikshitar
followed by a grand Kambhoji, the masterpiece of MD _ Sri Subramanyaya Namasthe.
Lovely Javalis in Kapi and Kamas.
Behag kriti was new.

A traditional fare sung with perfect Sruti.

A special thanks to Sri Vedantham for organizing this event and showcasing some of brightest musicians of today.

An OUTSTANDING CONCERT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFHEr8RpFBI
Last edited by ram1999 on 17 Nov 2017, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

ram1999

Re: Vishnudev Nambootri - Varadarajan - Mannargudi Easwaran - Puurushotaman _ for Paramapara on 16112017

Post by ram1999 »

Venkat Ramachandran wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 07:54 Renuka Devi , is it not kannadabangala?
corrected. Typed by default :)

CRama

Re: Vishnudev Nambootri - Varadarajan - Mannargudi Easwaran - Puurushotaman _ for Paramapara on 16112017

Post by CRama »

I attended this concert. An excellent concert as the few concerts I have heard from Vishnudev Namboothiri in the recent past. He has good voice, sruti sudham, manodharmam, and vast repertoire. I wonder how within a short span , he has increased his repertoire greatly. His guidance under PSN has worked a lot. More than any thing, I very much appreciate the aura of peace and sowkhyam he is able to bring in his concerts. In the final avartanam of the mel kala neraval or swaram you will not see any cacophony as observed in many of the young male vidwans’ concerts nowadays.I feel he will graduate like a Ramakrishnan Murthy very shortly.

The beginning of the concert with Viriboni was a pointer to the serious music that was to follow. Mahaganapate in Natanarayani and Renukadevi in Sudhabangala are very rare songs which you may be able to hear only in Deekhitar Akhandam. Eventhough Poorvikalyani is not a favourite of mine, I liked his selection of Devadeva Jagadeeswara, as after KVN, very few artistes take up this song. This was a permanent number in all KVN concerts in Navarathri mandapam. Just two days back, myself and Sivaramakrishnan were observing that Sree Subramanyaya Namaste is presently out of circulation. I am thankful that he chose this song. Both the alapanas were very elaborate with lot of long akara passages interspersed with the right quotient of brighas. I appreciate Vishnudev for sticking to the old world scheme of taking up Vasavadi for neraval as nowadays vidwans take up any group of words or pallavi for the neraval. There was an old world charm in the elaborate neraval which reminded me of KVN again.

Vishnudev was lucky to have the support of very senior pakkavadyams. But I am pained to report certain things about the pakkavadyams. S.Varadarajan played very well as per his regular pattern of accompanying any accomplished vidwan. But the mike volume was a tad low and hence subtle prayogams were not audible. The volume of Mridangam and Ganjira were very high and it drowned the voice of the vocalist. I checked up with a few rasikas near me and they also confirmed that it is high only. Then I discussed with a few people who matter in the Ragasudha Hall and I was told that it is raised as per the instance of Easwaran Sir. I have heard Easwaran Sir in many concerts and I have great respect and regard for his playing for any senior or junior vidwans. He always used to embellish the concert remarkably. In this concert, he was full of energy and showed remarkable skill in his playing. Even in Viriboni, he presented very attractive patterns. Whether it could be a problem of feedback- I don’t know. But the sound Engineer – he had been much appreciated in this forum by regular goers of Ragasudha- I never saw him coming out and checking the sound balance in the hall.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks for the additional points, CRama. (I couldn't attend this concert).
I am a bit surprised to note about the Mridangam volume because just about a week back only I attended a concert of Sunil Gargyan (also reviewed in these columns) where Easwaran sir ensured the right decibel levels.

Perhaps in this concert he was not aware of the volume levels at the audience end and as pointed out by you, might have been guided just by the monitor feedback.

Happy to note that the concert was fine.

arvenky

Post by arvenky »

Yesterday I attended Amrita Murali conceert at same venue. The mridangam volume was so low and at times not audible too :-(

bhaskaran19

Post by bhaskaran19 »

CRama wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 10:58 But the sound Engineer – he had been much appreciated in this forum by regular goers of Ragasudha- I never saw him coming out and checking the sound balance in the hall.
I am a regular to RSA - the person (he is a "sound engineer" or for that matter ( do Sabhas have any "sound engineer" at all or they are electricians who manages ) who manage the sound system - initially will make arrangements till the concert starts - once the concert start he will be missing or standing outside and on many occasions when the artists wants some adjustments someone will go outside and call him.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yesterday heard a portion of the concert in youtube. Here the Mridangam volume is fine.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

At least online Easwaran Mama's mridangam sounded fine... It was a wonderful concert.. Vishnudev will definitely be the next rkm. I like the range in his voice and his attitude on stage. It is nice to see him some of trademark semmangudi school songs

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

arvenky wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 07:59 Yesterday I attended Amrita Murali conceert at same venue.
Could you share the song list?

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Knowing Amritha Murali, she would include some rare varnam, three rare krithis by the Trinity as #3, submain, and main, a very common filler, and thukkudas which might have been the rage back in the 1940's. Of course, we all are no one to talk of her delivery...

The best way to know the actual song list is to pull up a list of the compositions of the Trinity, assign them serial numbers, and use a random number generator to predict the krithi. If you haven't heard the krithi, chances are that it might have been sung!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarabharanam wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 10:44 Vishnudev will definitely be the next rkm.
Geez... Once upon a time I would get iirritated when someone was referred to as the next Semmangudi or M.S. What have we come down to now?

Actually I think I am listening to the next Vishnudev right now at BVB. :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

sureshvv wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 16:22
shankarabharanam wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 10:44 Vishnudev will definitely be the next rkm.
Actually I think I am listening to the next Vishnudev right now at BVB. :D
Who R.P.Shravan?
Yes.He sings well. Yet to hear a full length concert.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Elementary Watson :) And Akshay Ram is the next Ganapathy Raman :D

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 16:00 Knowing Amritha Murali, she would include some rare varnam, three rare krithis by the Trinity as #3, submain, and main, a very common filler, and thukkudas which might have been the rage back in the 1940's. Of course, we all are no one to talk of her delivery...

The best way to know the actual song list is to pull up a list of the compositions of the Trinity, assign them serial numbers, and use a random number generator to predict the krithi. If you haven't heard the krithi, chances are that it might have been sung!
Thanks, this was very useful to know what she sang in that particular concert.