Pantula Rama, MSN Murthy, Sai Giridhar, Krishna for Parampara

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
meenaakshi

Pantula Rama, MSN Murthy, Sai Giridhar, Krishna for Parampara

Post by meenaakshi »

DR. Pantula Rama
MSN Murthy
Sai Giridhar
Krishna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4AyuGN2DMU

WOW concert :) :) :)  

MaheshS

Re: Pantula Rama, MSN Murthy, Sai Giridhar, Krishna for Parampara

Post by MaheshS »

Parivadini - Pantula Rama for Parampara - 17th Nov 2017

Pantula Rama - Vocal
MSN Murthy - Violin
Sai Giridhar - Mridangam
Krishna - Ghatam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4AyuGN2DMU

[strike]Evarikkai - Devamanohari [S] - T[/strike]
Yarukku Than Theriyum - Devamanohari [S] - T
Shankari Shankuru - Saveri [N@Sama Gana Lole Baale Sadaarthi Bhanjana Sheele] - SS
Endhuko - Mohanam [AS] - T
Mayamma - Ahiri [A] - SS
Ninnenammithi - Simmendra Madhyamam [A,NS@ pannagEndra shayana pannagAri vAhana] - MV
RTP - Bindumalini
Pallavi - Ganalola Karunalavala, Govinda Mampahi
Ragamalika - Sahana, Varali
Thani
Muddugare Yasodha - Kurunji - Annamacharya
Thillana - Brindavani - BMK
Mangalam

Bale bale.

** Mohanam was fantastic, I've only heard this krithi by Mahavidwan TRS., available on YouTube :)
** Finally a RTP as the main. Thanks.
Last edited by MaheshS on 18 Nov 2017, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

MaheshS, a small correction

Devamanohari composition is Yarukkudan theriyum of GKB.

Yep, in your words, it is a "Bale bale" concert :) :) :)
Last edited by meenaakshi on 18 Nov 2017, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pantula Rama@parampara on Nov 17th,2017

Pantula Rama@parampara on Nov 17th,2017
------------------------------------------
Vocal : Pantula Rama
Violin : MSN Murthy
Mrudangam : Sai Giridhar
Ghatam : Krishna

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Free concet
Day/Duration : Friday/ 2 hours and 20 minutes
Time : 6:30 to 8:50 pm
Sabha and/or Banner : Parampara
Hall : rAgasudha Hall

01.Yarukku than theriyum (S) - Devamanohari [S] - T
swaras for 4 mins
02. shankari Shankuru(N) - Saveri - SS
Neraval in Sama Gana Lole Baale Sadaarthi Bhanjana Sheele

03. Endhuko bAga Teliyadu(R S)- Mohanam - T
5 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
3 mins swaras
04. Mayamma(R) - Ahiri - SS
2 mins alapana with no violin return

05. Ninne nammithi(R N S) - Simmendra Madhyamam - MV
Neraval in pannagEndra shayana pannagAri vAhana for 7 mins
and 10 mins swaras

06A. RTP - Bindumalini
Pallavi - Ganalola Karunalavala, Govinda Mampahi
Ragamalika - Sahana, Varali
Pallavi was for 41 mins
with alapana for 11 mins and taanam for 7 mins

06B. Thani for 15 mins

07.Muddugare Yasodha - Kurunji - Annamacharya
08.Thillana - Brindavani - BMK
09. nee nama roopamulaku with few extra charanams - sowrashtram - T

Personally for me while most of my male musicians whom i like have their domicile in chennai , but for female musicians for whatever reasson their domicile is not in chennai . Raji Gopalakrishnan where is she now , Pantula rama and Sangeetha swaminathan (some where in uS), all are becoming bit out of reach . Pantula is certainaly well acccepted in madras and thanks to Vedanth ramanujam who is passionately holding concerts with the banner parampara .The venues of parampara are very likely in the two omnipresent halls arkay or ragasudha

I came few minutes late as I walked in the kharaharapriya aroma was approximated in my ears in Luz Avenue but as i walked in it was right there with a phrase balakrishnan ... prathapam pointing out devamanohari and the krithi yarukku than theriyum. Every raga that approximates around the cluster of Kharaharapriye be it devaamruthavarshini, devamanohari they are all gems . Pantula tamil diction was awesome and her controlled aggression was lovely and I enjoyed her swaras with anchoring on the raga mudra name.

THe contrast with saveri was well done ,saveri is in my opinion like kalyani a very tricky raga to impress.There was adequate saveri rasa and the neraval was well done , her voice has a deep intonation without any short circuit sangathis

She announced vidwan kamalakar Rao was there in the audience , his beaming smile was partly felt by me from a distance . she also announced that she is going to sing a rare krithi in a familiar raga mohanam. I immmediately thought about TRS and his immortal rendition of his endhuko bhaga teliyudO she announced the samesong . Her mohanam alapana was distilled essence , and I enjoyed it for her perfection . I was expecting her to go the cliff and drop without parachute like the immortal TRS mama for endhuko bhaga, but she did not do that . THe pallavi start was bit so so , but from anupallavi she gathered steam . There was at a point a steady stream of telugu phrases more like fast chittaswaras, pantula did not get in first attempt and violinist finished that but she got it in second attempt , swaras were bit measured and I felt mohanam could have had more swaras

Fantastic mayamma in ahiri followed , her rendition without contortions in either the sound or her face made it special. I did miss a fast filler but she moved on to simmhendra madhyamam , she struck right at the chord of simmhendramadhyamam it was not something where I had to readjust after few sangathis in my head with any of its cousin or siblings like shanmughapriya . Her alapana and krithi rendition was well done , neraval did miss few mel kala shoots, her imagination in swaras did bring a touch of voleti to me . WHen I meant voleti it was more like a bunch of packed swaras , then a sudden variation with a little more glides , a certain well defined pause for the violinist to distinctly pick up all quite aesthetic

She said she is going to sing bindumalini and told it was a request by the mrudangam artist sai giridhar . RTP bindumalini was well done. Bindumalini as RTP was perhaps started first by Mandolin srinivas , if my memory is right lalgudi siblings , sangeetha swaminathan , neyveli, priya sisters have sung this .For me the source of bindumalini is Lalgudi Jayaraman and Ramani flute . This R was bit of hash of endha muddo endha sogusO . Pantula USP is pitch perfection and even if it stays bit out she is astute in not exerting it ,bindumalini as a raga has perhaps a structure which is chiseled with brevity as a base . One cannot get a RTP experience like shanmughapriya or a keeravani , but RTP always brings something more than krithi I welcome ragas when promoted to RTP . I cherished every moment of pantula puntual rendition of bindumalini. WHile alapana was just stopped with no over doing with near equal return , taanam was a reiki tour to me. THe pallavi was well done and the swaras of bindumalini was done well, the sahana detour was simply fantastic her rendition was superb there . Varali got caught with law of average.

MuddugarE yashoda is a bit of low hanging fruit krithi , kurinji is bit rushed as a radha kalyana dolotsavam there . The thillana of brindavani could have had bit more well defined brindavani contours only towards the last phrase I spotted brindavani distinct rasa .I recollect last year she sang a better tillana of BMK than this brindavani.

MSN murthy toes very well with pantula. Few pockets in mohanam alapana he perhaps showcased a little western like touch in alapana . His returns were concise and he kept up the limelight with pantula . Sai giridhar was to me a great pick , he is very responsive and aurally at many places he plays like patri, he gives sustained sarvalaghu and I am a fan of that kind of play. THe ghatam artist krishna is improving a lot .In tani Krishna gave 100% but during songs he was slightly tentative at many places.

Pantula Rama's asset is her lovely pitch and sowkyam that comes irrespective of any number . HEr approach in krithi is very regimented with sampradaya touch , her alapana is always to the core with zero meandering .At times her augementation with manodharma pidis(like voleti) especially in swarakalpana makes it very special .

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 20 minutes.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I immmediately thought about TRS
I am usually reminded of
https://archive.org/details/Bmk-endukOB ... -TyAgarAja

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

varsha wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 18:04
I immmediately thought about TRS
I am usually reminded of
https://archive.org/details/Bmk-endukOB ... -TyAgarAja
WOW. I've only heard this from TRS :) You are the true [listeners] Sangitha Kalanidi!! Thank You!

Edited to add, OK it's MC on the violin! Aha!

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Mohanam song TRS style is the best. Priya sisters also same style like their Guru which is beautiful
BMK and Pantula Rama style not so good after listening to TRS version.
Mohanam Alapana sung well

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

First Tamil song diction very good but some words Wrong.
Parvati Ammanum kooda irundhaar not koodi irundhaar 😁
Sorry to nitpick but can't help it

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

How come Tamil people are able to learn and sing Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam Kriti's so well with correct diction for so many centuries. But other state Non-tamil singers have such a limited knowledge of Tamil songs.

I think only Nedunuri, Malladis, and Pantula Rama are other state non-tamil artistes who sing Tamil songs -but maximum 4-5 songs they know?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

HarishankarK wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 11:06 First Tamil song diction very good but some words Wrong.
Parvati Ammanum kooda irundhaar not koodi irundhaar 😁
Sorry to nitpick but can't help it
Not sure why Tamilian musicians murdering telugu, kannada and malayalam /hindi are not targeted in ur nitpick. :lol:

Musically it didnt sound funny !

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

HarishankarK wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 11:04 Mohanam song TRS style is the best. Priya sisters also same style like their Guru which is beautiful
BMK and Pantula Rama style not so good after listening to TRS version.
Mohanam Alapana sung well
Agree. Vasundhara and Nisha Rajagopal also sing this in TRS style very well.

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwn-HDqDEVA&t=499

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ram1999 wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 12:12

Not sure why Tamilian musicians murdering telugu, kannada and malayalam /hindi are not targeted in ur nitpick. :lol:

Actually I would rather hear these songs even with pronunciation errors than just hear them sing in their native language with perfect pronunciation (whatever that may be).

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

sureshvv wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 13:47
ram1999 wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 12:12

Actually I would rather hear these songs even with pronunciation errors than just hear them sing in their native language with perfect pronunciation (whatever that may be).
So would I, but at the same time, I cannot help but appreciate the concern that if a better effort was made to learn and pronounce words correctly no matter what language it is, the frustration wouldn't be felt in the first place. And I am not talking about occasional slip-of-the-tongue errors which an artist may inadvertently make (but is consciously aware of) or tiny memory lapses on the exact words; I am talking about a more fundamental issue.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In this context kUDi and kUDa do not impact the meaning much. And it’s not mispronounciation - if anything, it’s a properly pronounced incorrect word, if anyone wants to nitpick.
Given the numbers of native tamizh speakers singing compositions in languages with more letters in their alphabet than tamizh, the odds are that we’ll get many true mispronunciations in other languages. A true mispronunciation is paNDu rIdi instead of baNTu rIti or abba rAma bakti instead of appa rAma bhakti - and I’ve heard both... and many more, and unlike Suresh, I’d rather not.....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

If I had to (nitpick, that is), it’d be about Senkari SeM kuru cendramukhi instead of Sankari SaM kuru candramukhi...... :)

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

This is probably a joke...... I have read somewhere that some one sang " chinte yAtako manuja, brandy ya tago" for a Purandara dAsa song that should read chinte yAtako bayala brAnti yAtako

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rshankar wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 21:25 If I had to (nitpick, that is), it’d be about Senkari SeM kuru cendramukhi instead of Sankari SaM kuru candramukhi...... :)
You just proved my point, inadvertantly I suspect.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

rshankar wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 21:25 If I had to (nitpick, that is), it’d be about Senkari SeM kuru cendramukhi instead of Sankari SaM kuru candramukhi...... :)
Agree-Kerala style

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

rshankar wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 21:08 In this context kUDi and kUDa do not impact the meaning much. And it’s not mispronounciation - if anything, it’s a properly pronounced incorrect word, if anyone wants to nitpick.
That is not acceptable - can we sing puriyum i/o theriyum for the first line just because they mean the same - if we allow for this there is no end to it

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Also there is one more thing to consider - Tamil musicians learn and sing large number of Telugu kritis - even the young concert performers know at least 20 songs in Telugu not to mention senior Tamil artistes with large repertoire of Telugu kritis

But on the other hand the Telugu artistes know only 4-5 songs and that also have issues

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

HarishankarK wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 01:29That is not acceptable - can we sing puriyum i/o theriyum for the first line just because they mean the same - if we allow for this there is no end to it
I did say the word (kUDi) is 'incorrect', and not 'incorrectly pronounced' as you said.
puriyum - understand, teriyum - know/understand
kUDa - with; kUDi - united with.... The distinctions are subtle....But in any case, much better than changing the meaning from a servant/royal guard (baNTu) to a fruit (paNDu)..... or from devotion (bhakti) to a non-word (bakti).....

varsha

Post by varsha »

or from devotion (bhakti) to a non-word (bakti).....
OR
mAra kOTi to a mara kOthi :D

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

LOL

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

HarishankarK wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 01:05

Agree-Kerala style
What is Kerala style? Her pronunciation, Ravi's or your agreement?

Confused...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

varsha wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 07:54
or from devotion (bhakti) to a non-word (bakti).....
OR
mAra kOTi to a mara kOthi :D
Ha Ha :D

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

sureshvv wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 09:52
HarishankarK wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 01:05

Agree-Kerala style
What is Kerala style? Her pronunciation, Ravi's or your agreement?

Confused...
Her pronounciation actually - but I have seen this trait more often with Kerala musicians - Shengkari i/o Shankari

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Native Telugu speakers also typically pronounce in this manner. I am not convinced Tamil pronunciation in this is any more "correct" (as opposed to more familiar sounding) as yourself and Ravi would like to declare it as.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Actually when she started the concert with the " being discussed krithi " I felt a sense of elation.
Not any more , after all these posts. :roll:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I’m going with the samskRtam pronunciation.
This discussion notwithstanding, it still remains a “wow” concert! She was awesome!

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Less said about pronunciation 'juggleries' in concerts.

Just an example of 'Bujagaathiba sayana' would suffice.

munukutlask

Post by munukutlask »

HarishankarK wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 11:32 How come Tamil people are able to learn and sing Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam Kriti's so well with correct diction for so many centuries. But other state Non-tamil singers have such a limited knowledge of Tamil songs.

I think only Nedunuri, Malladis, and Pantula Rama are other state non-tamil artistes who sing Tamil songs -but maximum 4-5 songs they know?
I'm not sure this is true. Tamilians rarely sing Telugu correctly. In fact, I find blatant errors in most of the current generation's singing. That said, the propensity for such errors is much lower for the previous generation. This is probably because Madras had a large Telugu population, and northern (present day) Tamil Nadu had a healthy mix of Tamil and Telugu speakers prior to the division of states by language. So you might observe Ariyakudi's propensity for error is low. Those that learned from that generation were the same, but with time, that's really fallen off. In fact, following Ariyakudi's generation, you can only really count on a few composers with Telugu compositions to their name, such as MDR (yes, MDR...) and GNB to do any justice to Telugu pronunciation. An example of tremendously poor pronunciation is TMK or Abhishek Raghuram.

Secondly, Telugu is, unfortunately, two languages in one. It's Sanskritic and Dravidian both. So the decision on where to use the Sanskritic or Dravidian pronunciation schemes is confusing and largely instinctive. I'm not sure you can expect people to really learn this. Adding to that the fact that Tamil being an older language doesn't have all the letters that Telugu adopted over from Sanskrit means that the intuition that Tamil speakers use to decide whether a letter is a "ha" or a "ga" or "da" or "tha", in endaro mahanubhavulu (often rendered with the cringeworthy enthro maganubhavulu) is difficult to translate to Telugu.

I suspect because CM is more popular in Tamil Nadu amongst non-Telugu speakers, people don't really catch on anymore. So there's a long, glorious history of Telugu being reciprocally bastardized. :)