Pantula Rama, MSN Murthy, Sai Giridhar, Krishna for Parampara

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
HarishankarK

Re: Pantula Rama, MSN Murthy, Sai Giridhar, Krishna for Parampara

Post by HarishankarK »

sureshvv wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 09:52
HarishankarK wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 01:05

Agree-Kerala style
What is Kerala style? Her pronunciation, Ravi's or your agreement?

Confused...
Her pronounciation actually - but I have seen this trait more often with Kerala musicians - Shengkari i/o Shankari

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Native Telugu speakers also typically pronounce in this manner. I am not convinced Tamil pronunciation in this is any more "correct" (as opposed to more familiar sounding) as yourself and Ravi would like to declare it as.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Actually when she started the concert with the " being discussed krithi " I felt a sense of elation.
Not any more , after all these posts. :roll:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I’m going with the samskRtam pronunciation.
This discussion notwithstanding, it still remains a “wow” concert! She was awesome!

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Less said about pronunciation 'juggleries' in concerts.

Just an example of 'Bujagaathiba sayana' would suffice.

munukutlask

Post by munukutlask »

HarishankarK wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 11:32 How come Tamil people are able to learn and sing Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam Kriti's so well with correct diction for so many centuries. But other state Non-tamil singers have such a limited knowledge of Tamil songs.

I think only Nedunuri, Malladis, and Pantula Rama are other state non-tamil artistes who sing Tamil songs -but maximum 4-5 songs they know?
I'm not sure this is true. Tamilians rarely sing Telugu correctly. In fact, I find blatant errors in most of the current generation's singing. That said, the propensity for such errors is much lower for the previous generation. This is probably because Madras had a large Telugu population, and northern (present day) Tamil Nadu had a healthy mix of Tamil and Telugu speakers prior to the division of states by language. So you might observe Ariyakudi's propensity for error is low. Those that learned from that generation were the same, but with time, that's really fallen off. In fact, following Ariyakudi's generation, you can only really count on a few composers with Telugu compositions to their name, such as MDR (yes, MDR...) and GNB to do any justice to Telugu pronunciation. An example of tremendously poor pronunciation is TMK or Abhishek Raghuram.

Secondly, Telugu is, unfortunately, two languages in one. It's Sanskritic and Dravidian both. So the decision on where to use the Sanskritic or Dravidian pronunciation schemes is confusing and largely instinctive. I'm not sure you can expect people to really learn this. Adding to that the fact that Tamil being an older language doesn't have all the letters that Telugu adopted over from Sanskrit means that the intuition that Tamil speakers use to decide whether a letter is a "ha" or a "ga" or "da" or "tha", in endaro mahanubhavulu (often rendered with the cringeworthy enthro maganubhavulu) is difficult to translate to Telugu.

I suspect because CM is more popular in Tamil Nadu amongst non-Telugu speakers, people don't really catch on anymore. So there's a long, glorious history of Telugu being reciprocally bastardized. :)