Arkay Convention Center's VII Anniversary -Prasanna Venkatraman Vocal - Nov 27, 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Arkay Convention Center's VII Anniversary -Prasanna Venkatraman Vocal - Nov 27, 2017

Post by shankarank »

Prasanna Venkatraman Vocal
R Raghul Violin
Sherthalai R Ananthakrishnan Mridangam
A S Krishnan Morsing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_6uUgvY9g

Off to a good start with celumi kOri - gauLa vArNam
gAna rasamudan -bEGada - rUpakam - svarams in progress ..

Mridangam - sound so well set and sounding balanced and good. I guess the instrument is in good shape with optimal Sruti provided by the singer!
Morsing sound is added sugar!
Last edited by shankarank on 03 Dec 2017, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Re: Arkay Convention Center's VII Anniversary -Prasanna Venkatraman Vocal - Nov 27, 2017

Post by shankarank »

Anandabhairavi - Alapana and reply
danDAyuta pANim - dikshitar

He sounds pre-Sanjay today! Like some old times!

candrajyOti - reply - here it had some Sanjay touches!
SaSivadanA - Adi - 1 kali - 1/2 eDuppu.
mEl kAlam had some impressive flows from Shertalai!

arunAchala nAtham - sAranga - MD - krittika pURNima nimittam!

Shaping out to be one of the great concerts from him!

shankarank

Re: Arkay Convention Center's VII Anniversary -Prasanna Venkatraman Vocal - Nov 27, 2017

Post by shankarank »

Great bhava filled tODi Alapana. Violin reply get in was tentative - it could have been more incisive.

kArtikEya kAngEya gauri tanayA - Adi - PS.

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 06:22 Anandabhairavi - Alapana and reply

My comment at that time to a friend was "Balamani Mami and T K Govinda Rao's training cannot be erased by Sanjay." :D :evil:

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 07:52 Great bhava filled tODi Alapana. Violin reply get in was tentative - it could have been more incisive.

kArtikEya kAngEya gauri tanayA - Adi - PS.
Should be "Karthikeya Gangeya". Prasanna did mispronounce it several times.

Same thing in "Arunachala Natham". In the charanam the line "Swapradeepa mouli vidhrtha gangam" was sung as "swapradeepa mouli viditha Gangam".

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Mispronunications?! phew - I don't audit the concert to that level. There could be some mismusic too! Who knows. I credited the concert! ;)

That is svAdyAyam - next adyAyam let's see!!

But kangu is tIpizhambu - spark - may be another etymology for kAngEya! Subaltern version :lol: . GangaitAn punitamA? :twisted:

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 11:20 Mispronunications?! phew - I don't audit the concert to that level. There could be some mismusic too! Who knows. I credited the concert! ;)

That is svAdyAyam - next adyAyam let's see!!

But kangu is tIpizhambu - spark - may be another etymology for kAngEya! Subaltern version :lol: . GangaitAn punitamA? :twisted:
This from the man who wrote a dissertation on how the word "tryambakam" should be pronounced on another thread! :twisted: :evil:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Rasikas, remember what you wrote earlier. The tiger is back and its grip is tight.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

harimau wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 14:15 This from the man who wrote a dissertation on how the word "tryambakam" should be pronounced on another thread! :twisted: :evil:
True Sir! I also subsequently asked for a separate grammar for musicians , in the lines of what was given to our Rishis! Music after all ranks very high in truth stack! Or you can call it subaltern privilege! :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

And there is the philosphical escape route. If he made through all the "ra"s correctly without the drawl (which the other tup-tuppers from NA may fall prey to :twisted: ), he has done his Ahutis and conveyed (or burnt) the essence of the song! :lol: R is a vowel ;) for a good reason I suppose!

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 02:28 And there is the philosphical escape route. If he made through all the "ra"s correctly without the drawl (which the other tup-tuppers from NA may fall prey to :twisted: ), he has done his Ahutis and conveyed (or burnt) the essence of the song! :lol: R is a vowel ;) for a good reason I suppose!
Our legends are full of stories about how incorrect pronunciation leads to unexpected/undesired results. Kumbakarna received the boon of extremely long (months long) sleep because of how he mispronounced a word. :D

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

shankarank wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 06:22 Anandabhairavi - Alapana and reply

candrajyOti - reply - here it had some Sanjay touches!
SaSivadanA - Adi - 1 kali - 1/2 eDuppu.
mEl kAlam had some impressive flows from Shertalai!

arunAchala nAtham - sAranga - MD - krittika pURNima nimittam!

Shaping out to be one of the great concerts from him!
Pre Sanjay Prasannna sounds so true.. His chandrajothi Alapana and thodi was class.. Balamani Mami’s grounding for 15 years can’t be taken away so easily. I think he should stick to this style than trying to copy Sanjay. I hope he continues it this way.

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarank wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 02:28 And there is the philosphical escape route. If he made through all the "ra"s correctly without the drawl (which the other tup-tuppers from NA may fall prey to :twisted: ), he has done his Ahutis and conveyed (or burnt) the essence of the song! :lol: R is a vowel ;) for a good reason I suppose!
The letter "ra" is the mystic letter (beejaksharam) for Agni.

Since Tiruvannamalai is the kshetra for Agni, I guess Prasanna burnt the "r" from the word "vidhrtha",

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well he burnt the "R" the vowel in vidhRta - much different from the consonant "r" in "ra"!!

Charu Venkat

Post by Charu Venkat »

Vidhrta is a hard word to pronounce. It slips into either 'vidhrutha' or 'vidhritha' or 'vidhratha'. Prasanna showcased his immense manodharmam in mispronouncing this word in one more way. Kudos to Prasanna :evil: