Sanjay Subramanyan- Music Academy - 27-12-17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
grsastrigal

Sanjay Subramanyan- Music Academy - 27-12-17

Post by grsastrigal »

Sanjay Subramanyan (SS)
S.Varadarajan
Neyveli venkatesh
Anirudh Athreya

Date 27-12-17

Music Academy

As usual, full house, plastic chairs for VIP ticket holders coming late. Heavy traffic in the normally bizarre traffic near MA, No place to park even TVS 50 outside the Academy platform. Deafening standing ovation

SS is singing in MA from 6.45 PM, my dear !!

His last song (Ganam Krishna Iyer’s)- ennamo vagaiyAi varugudhu mAne (my english translation-something in some form coming, my dear) sums up his concert ?!

-varNam-Sree raagam
-sAma geetha priyan-Gowla-ArutpA- (S)
-pUrvi kalyAni-rAgam- parama pAvana rAmA- RSI (pUchi)
Neraval in “kanakAmbaradhara….”
-Balahamsa-rAgam- “guruguhA dhanyam na jAnEham”- MD’s Guru vibhakthi Kriti
-Jaya jaya gokula bAlA- Narayana Teerthar ‘Tarangam”- Bairavi, - shifted to atAna, kAmbodhi, kalyAni, surutti. This song has got saRaNams of two lines - So, he took each saRaNam in each rAga and again back to Bairavi.
-Narasimhudu-kamalAmanohari- Mysore sadAsiva Rao
-Karaharapriya-RTP- Pallavi
நடேசனைக் கண்டால் கலி தீருமே, கனகசபையில் நடனமாடும்
Natesanaik kandaal kali theerumE, kanakasabhaiyil natanamaadum”

Vijay Siva’s pallavi today at IFAS
அனந்த நடனம் ஆடினார், தத்திமி என கனக சபையில்
Ananda natanam Aadinaar, thathimi ena kanagasabhaiyil

(Two great artists performing at the nearby venues taking the same rAgam as RTP, pallavi lines belonging to Chidambara kshEtram)

So sweet as Sanjay’s KHP is “kEsari” whereas VS’ KHP is “bAdhushA”

-Tani

-pUraNi, dayApari- Mylai KaRpagavalli padhigam (you can see this padhigam, on the right side of kaRpagAmbAl sannidhi (facing) in kEdAra gowla, mOhanam, Sindubairavi, bEgada-followed by kaRpagAmbigai nEE allavO- PS

Song I mentioned in the first line.

-pavamAna.

I was thinking whether to go to Vijay siva or SS. Settled for the later. His voice is slowly showing tiredness. Neverthless, he tried to bring his best.

Back to the main team- VaradU, NV, AA excelled in their respective area. When SS singing, “all the way out” the Tani team takes a leaf from his “book” and tries to excel. Result, claps lasted long when Tani was over.

Varadu- Not to tell. When Karaharapriya violin started, Varadu started with “navasidhi peRRAlum and ended the violin with chakka ni” – In between, he went on scoring runs, enjoyed by the captain (SS) and the spectators !!!

I will not agree any concert in MA without Thyagaraajar kriti. For this, any venue. I feel bit frustrated when Saint’s kriti is taken as filler or omitted completely.

He may be the only artist who gave a concert without Saint’s kriti.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Sanjay Subramanyan- Music Academy - 27-12-17

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks for the instant review.
I could not attend the concert.

Forumite CRama (who was there) informs that it was the Navaragamalika Varnam. (Of course the last raga of the malika is Sri).

Concert sans Saint's kriti?
But certainly not an evening without Tyagaraja @ the Academy.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

SS would have had no intention to omit Thyagaraja. That he sang KHP so exquisitely as rave reviews suggest, is adequate tribute to Thyagaraja and his legacy.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pavamAna

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

suresh
recollecting the dialogue from the film Tiruvilayaadal

நீர் புலவர்-ஒத்துக்கொள்கிறேன்

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

So fast? I thought you will ask few more questions along the lines of "paatukku"? and "pudavaikku"? first.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From another review:
"Finally,with a droll humor all his own,Sanjay quietly upended conventional wisdom and delivered this humongous concert without any krithi of the Saint! (unless you count the mangalam before which I had to leave!)..As a lifelong Thyagaraja devotee,I kept pinching myself : how could u get so lost in a concert without the Saint? But,what to do,such was the power of the man's music on the day!"

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Unfortunately I couldn’t attend Sanjay’s concert at Tamil Isai Sangam this year - hopefully someone who attended can post the list in a nw thread for us.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Song list of Tamizh Isai Sangam concert (courtesy: Sri Aravindan Mudaliyar)
1. MAye manam vaittharuL Abhogi MAyUram Viswanatha Sastri
2. Un padam thuNaiye orAru mukhame Chakravakam Ramaswamy Sivan
3. RAjanai ThozhuvAy NatarAjanai Darbar Nilakantan Sivan
4. NArAyaNa divya nAmam Mohanam PS
5. Velum mayilum thunai Sucharithra KotIswara Iyer
6. RTP Sahana engaL kulatthin amude SrirAmA thAlelo (Kulasekhara AzhwAr) (RAgamAlika swarams in KathanakuthUhalam, Ranjani, Aberi)
7. SummA summA vaugamA sukham Atana Ghanam Krishna Iyer
8. SIravaL pasunthokai Mayilon KAvadichindu
9. Virperu vizhavum Kanjanum mallum vezhanum pAkanum Sindubhairavi Thirumangai AzhwAr
10. VAzhiya Senthamizh

harimau

Post by harimau »

Vocalist wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 10:20 Unfortunately I couldn’t attend Sanjay’s concert at Tamil Isai Sangam this year - hopefully someone who attended can post the list in a nw thread for us.
Probably, he sang an all-Thyagaraja ktithi concert there! :evil: :lol:

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

harimau wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 22:16
Vocalist wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 10:20 Unfortunately I couldn’t attend Sanjay’s concert at Tamil Isai Sangam this year - hopefully someone who attended can post the list in a nw thread for us.
Probably, he sang an all-Thyagaraja ktithi concert there! :evil: :lol:
That would probably be attempted by TMK at Tamil Isai Sangam when he is asked to perform .
Sanjay's concert at Tamil isai sangam was spoiled due to bad bad acoustics . That's all there is to say . The mike system was emitting a rough kinda noise and mridangam was barely audible and whatever Neyveli Venkatesh played was heard two times .

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Sanjay sang a Tamil number in abhogi - a varnam then
Tamil songs in Darbar - chakravakam - mohanam , don't even remember the lyrics .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"Probably, he sang an all-Thyagaraja ktithi concert there!"
A joke must have relevance to truth a bit. Sanjay is a die-hard Tamizh lover, not a contrarian.

harimau

Post by harimau »

ratanabhinav wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 22:19
Sanjay's concert at Tamil isai sangam was spoiled due to bad bad acoustics . That's all there is to say . The mike system was emitting a rough kinda noise....
That would be Sanjay's voice. :twisted: :lol:

devan

Post by devan »

If some singer had done,what Sanjay had done he would have been banned for life. The singer would have been torn to pieces in this forum. Spineless academy and spineless Rasiks.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau & devan form a truly wonderful couple. Wishing them many more years of icon bashing/shadow boxing.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

There is nothing wrong with what Sanjay has done. There is no regulation that any particular composer must be covered. It is not Thyagaraja aradhana. What was weird was that the Academy banned Tamizh compositions once. Sanjay covers various composers at all venues and has a rich repertoire of Thyagaraja kritis, arguably the most.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Respectfully Disagree, devan. MA is not Thyagaraja Aaradhana. Rather, it speaks volumes about modern day giants’ repertoire in general. Kudos to SS.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

kvchellappa wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 09:54 What was weird was that the Academy banned Tamizh compositions once.
What ? Including Papanasam Sivan compositions ?
But why ? What's in the language when it's all about music ?

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

kvchellappa wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 18:49 Song list of Tamizh Isai Sangam concert (courtesy: Sri Aravindan Mudaliyar)
1. MAye manam vaittharuL Abhogi MAyUram Viswanatha Sastri
2. Un padam thuNaiye orAru mukhame Chakravakam Ramaswamy Sivan
3. RAjanai ThozhuvAy NatarAjanai Darbar Nilakantan Sivan
4. NArAyaNa divya nAmam Mohanam PS
5. Velum mayilum thunai Sucharithra KotIswara Iyer
6. RTP Sahana engaL kulatthin amude SrirAmA thAlelo (Kulasekhara AzhwAr) (RAgamAlika swarams in KathanakuthUhalam, Ranjani, Aberi)
7. SummA summA vaugamA sukham Atana Ghanam Krishna Iyer
8. SIravaL pasunthokai Mayilon KAvadichindu
9. Virperu vizhavum Kanjanum mallum vezhanum pAkanum Sindubhairavi Thirumangai AzhwAr
10. VAzhiya Senthamizh
Thank you kvchellappa 😊

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 09:54 What was weird was that the Academy banned Tamizh compositions once.
ratanabhinav wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 11:18 What ? Including Papanasam Sivan compositions ?
But why ? What's in the language when it's all about music ?
This was a long time ago (early 1940s IIRC), before Sivan compositions became popular.

There was a general mistaken notion that Telugu was the only language appropriate for Carnatic music at that time.

It is ample proof of how wrong a great many people can be at the same time.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

devan wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 09:08 If some singer had done,what Sanjay had done he would have been banned for life. The singer would have been torn to pieces in this forum. Spineless academy and spineless Rasiks.
There are many devans and harimaus out there. What Sanjay did was like a sharp slap on their collective faces. I am glad Sanjay had the spine to do this. Wonder how long it will be before he sings an all Tamil kriti concert at the Academy for the season.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Understood from a grapevine - Sanjay to be seen less in Bangalore.Those Sanjay fans should attend Sri Rama lalita Kala Mandira concert in Feb 2018 to be held at Bangalore Gayana samaja.There is one more in Feb at sharjapur road,but he is not singing for Rama Seva mandali,fort H S.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sureshvv
I have liked your knowledge, wit and crisp posts, but your statement above has enhanced my respect for you by light years.

devan

Post by devan »

When Sanjay became close with kanimozhi sudedenly he became interested in tamil. Being a non believer we may see him with Veeramani of DK. We may also see him with Tm. Krishna to sing "pormpokku"the vintage song by the great composer.sanjay Jalras will be there to cheer them. and will write here that is better than than trinity.

devan

Post by devan »

He is not slapping devan or harimau. He is slapping at the TRINITY.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You are watching too much TV news. You are sounding like them now.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Parama pavana rama a krithi by poochi is very similar in texture in music and lyrics to a typical T krithi . Quite a lot of patnam and few of poochi krithis have an overlap of T krithi. He has sung a rare balahamsa and MD krithi. Many MD buffs would like it as such many times MD krithis are skipped . I welcome sanjay in what he did . Having said that ,Certainly there is also a marketing strategy in place for doing that . So as such selling is the key for any musician and Sanjay worked with a clear intent so that we all talk for few months on that which is a precursor for great selling . Remember this is going to be a good writeup for the hindu and different magazines that he created some thing unique . The next strategy is that in Few years from now he will take a chance to sing no trinity krithis and there is nothing wrong in that, as Patnam is a great substitute of T , Subbaraya Sastri is a great substitute of Shyama sastri and swati tirunal krithi in sanskrit can also be a great substitute for MD krithi. Kudos to him in him doing that.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

devan wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:54 When Sanjay became close with kanimozhi sudedenly he became interested in tamil
Sanjay's interest in Tamil goes way back. His Guru KSK & his Parama Guru Tiger V. taught music at Annamalai Univ. which was at the center of the Tamil Isai movement much before Kanimozhi was even conceived.

His Guru insisted that Sanjay should sing Tamil kritis in his performances each time.
Being a non believer we may see him with Veeramani of DK.
Untrue. Obviously you have not attended his concerts at Thyagaraja Vidwat Samajam, Rathnagireeswarar temple, Alarmelmangapuram Hanuman temple or Warren Road Pillayar temple.
We may also see him with Tm. Krishna to sing "pormpokku"the vintage song by the great composer.
No. He is too conservative (in the best sense of the word) for that.
sanjay Jalras will be there to cheer them. and will write here that is better than than trinity.
First part is true. Second part is wrong.

Sanjay "jalras" have an extremely refined musical taste. When it comes to embelishing & presenting trinity kritis in ways the trinity may have never imagined, Sanjay is among the very best.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Those who have blinded their eyes like Gandhari have chosen to live in a world of delusion. To reason with them is vizhalukkiraittha neer. Let us enjoy good music. That a few cannot does not diminish our taste and we are not in need of any appreciation from the jaundice-visioned. Eminent musicians have had a word of praise for Sanjay. You can see Venkat Nagarajan's post how his guru is also a rasika of Sanjay. The few who are foulmouthed are nowhere near Nagai, TVG, Ramani, Varadu, Venkatesh, Jayanth, Srimushnam, Easwaran, and the list is long. They know music and are cultured.
The trinity did yeoman service for CM and have been immortalised. Their pieces will be sung. They have written in days when competition and marketing was not so prominent as now and wrote for the sake of music, not their brand. They would have been pleased if more pieces of merit were added as CM has grown around such pieces.
It is not as though Sanjay does not sing the pieces of trinity. He has sung many even in this season and some rare ones.
The Academy must be seen as another sabha. It is not even the oldest.
There is no requirement that any one composer must be covered. The sabha does not belong to the few foulmouthed and they cannot set its rules.
Sanjay is a shining torch bearer of CM and is something to celebrate. The number of young people attending his concerts is something to feel satisfied about. What he does he does by music. He does not announce a campaign and pursue it. He pursues music and those who pursue music value the music.

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 20:06 When it comes to embelishing & presenting trinity kritis in ways the trinity may have never imagined, Sanjay is among the very best.
embellishing - that is a bit rich, isn't it.

Anyways, can we get back to, er, music. And not discuss musicians & their wont and marketing and strategy et al

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sankark wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 22:08 embellishing - that is a bit rich, isn't it.
What part of "embellishing" gets your goat? Are trinity's compositions beyond embellishment?
Do you think these compositions are sung/presented in concert now as they were sung by the trinity 250 years back? Won't a neraval qualify as an embellishment? Do you think Thyagaraja sang "sarasa sama dana" as Madurai Mani Iyer sang it? Do you think Thagaraja sang "nenarunchinanu" as GNB sang it? Were they not embellishing?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Words! How they can offend! I think it's not the kind of embellishment which is meant to offend--as we see ancient temple towers being robbed of their beauty with cans of paint :(
Embellishment in the sense of merugUTTudal--in the sense of adding a new shine, I think it is. Not trying to improve upon it but interpreting it slightly differently, after all the interpretations which have been done over a period of time. Personally, I like to listen to something like that when it's a winner, and it does delight me...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

devan wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:54 When Sanjay became close with kanimozhi sudedenly he became interested in tamil. Being a non believer we may see him with Veeramani of DK. We may also see him with Tm. Krishna to sing "pormpokku"the vintage song by the great composer.sanjay Jalras will be there to cheer them. and will write here that is better than than trinity.
Utter rubbish ! Sanjay has taken some serious efforts in learning tamil kritis from his guru Sri KSK, but also has gone to the deep tanjavur to learn some of the beautiful and rarest kritis of tamil composers from less known nagaswara vidwans and just not limiting to Papanasam Sivan. And the efforts of his should be lauded !!

Coming back to not singing trinity compositions, many have given concerts which has not included compositions of the trinity. I have heard a plenty of Sri nedunuri singing just patnam's kritis and / or Subbaraya Sastry's kritis. And Sri Nedunuri openly acknowledges that Thyagaraja is SUPREME ! I still remember a concert of his in KGS way back in the 80s where he started with a varnam followed by janani ninnuvina and the rest of the concerts were just the subbaraya sastry's compositions. In the middle of the concert he went on to say that after singing janani ninnuvina he was in such an elated state that he chose to sing more of his kritis. It all perhaps depends on the mood of the artist.

However, in MA, i understand artists have to provide a list before hand and that gets published / circulated prior to the concert. Artists either strictly follow it or ahere to it 80% or so. I am not sure if this practice still continues ??

Narayanan NB

Post by Narayanan NB »

Sanjay is a great artist. Perhaps Sanjay and TMK would be rated as the best amoñgst that generation. It is good that he sings lot of Tamil krithis and his presentations are well researched. However over time I have experienced serious lack of aesthetics and lot of vocal acrobatics in his concerts.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Narayanan NB wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 19:12 However over time I have experienced serious lack of aesthetics and lot of vocal acrobatics in his concerts.
This vocal acrobatics thing, were it not sung in sruthi people would be running out of the auditorium tripping over each other. The only reason the high brow critics are able to raise their brow, twitch their nose & comment about "vocal acrobatics" is because it is in perfect sruthi.

Think about it.

And a TMK fan speaking about "lack of aesthetics" is, as sankark might say, "rich". :D

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 22:16
What part of "embellishing" gets your goat?
To me, I repeat again to me, he seems to embellish everything. Embellishing works when it is in proportion.
sureshvv wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 22:16
Are trinity's compositions beyond embellishment?
Do you think these compositions are sung/presented in concert now as they were sung by the trinity 250 years back? Won't a neraval qualify as an embellishment? Do you think Thyagaraja sang "sarasa sama dana" as Madurai Mani Iyer sang it? Do you think Thagaraja sang "nenarunchinanu" as GNB sang it? Were they not embellishing?
No. No. Yes. No. No. Yes.

Sorry couldn't resist even though your questions were rhetorical.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You get an A- for artificially setting limits on embellishment. :D

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

" Understood from a grapevine - Sanjay to be seen less in Bangalore.Those Sanjay fans should attend Sri Rama lalita Kala Mandira concert in Feb 2018 to be held at Bangalore Gayana samaja.There is one more in Feb at sharjapur road,but he is not singing for Rama Seva mandali,fort H S."

Is there a reason he's to be seen less in Bangalore? I would have thought musicians would be eager to sing in Bangalore - it has good audiences.
Where in Sarjapur road is the other February concert? Please share some details.
Thank you!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is in Bengaluru Gayana Samaja, Krishna Rajendra Road, Basavanagudi, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560004 on the 6th Feb at 6.00 PM.

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

that post says "one more concert in Feb", after naming the gayana samajam one - and it also says, on sarjapura road...
are there two ss concerts in bangalore, in february?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am also keen to learn!

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

@KVChellappa :)
Someone may enlighten us!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

There are two concerts of SS in Feb at Bangalore.
One at BGS and the other in Sharjapur road.

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Sharjapur road? Maybe IIM?

Here's a link to a nice feature on SS
http://bit.ly/2E6aZ3o

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

IIM is in Banneughatta Road.

jshrikanth

Post by jshrikanth »

The 2nd concert of SS in Feb at Bangalore is organized by Ranjani Fine Arts, Bellandur.
More details here: https://www.ranjanifinearts.org/

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks. I thought so. It is in outer ring road after Sharjapur Road junction, not in Sharjapur Road.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

presenting trinity kritis in ways the trinity may have never imagined, Sanjay is among the very best.

Ideally this is not allowed. It is said Sri Thyagaraja didn't allow his disciples even to add sangathis. So, any embellishments done in his krithis are really against his wish.
Certainly, it's their creations and no one can excel more than them in any aspect. This holds good for the creations of any vaggeyakara.

Singing a krithi of these composers in MalavaSri or Gowri itself will suffice. No need to embellish.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

presenting trinity kritis in ways the trinity may have never imagined, Sanjay is among the very best.

Ideally this is not allowed. It is said Sri Thyagaraja didn't allow his disciples even to add sangathis.

How about tickets at 5000 per head? Would Thyagaraja have imagined or allowed that? If you haven't noticed, we are not in Tiruvaiyyaru any more.