Aishwarya Shankar@MusicAcademy On Dec 28th,2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Aishwarya Shankar
Violin : Shradha Ravindran
Mrudangam : G S Nagaraj

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - concert to follow
Day/Duration : Thursday/ 1 hour and 30 mins (11:45 am to 01:15pm)
Concert Type: Free Concert
Hall : Music Academy

1A. gnana nanda mayam - usual slokham popularized by MS amma
1B. inta chAlamu - bEgaDa - veenai kuppaiyar

2. nee sAmanamEvaru (RS N S) - kharaharapriya - T
5 mins neraval in kulavi bhoosana mrudu ramani samAnevaru
6 mins swaras

3. karuna joodavammA(R) - varali - SS
7 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return

4. ninnuvina gatina evura - balahamsa - mysore sadashiva rao
5A.dakshinAmoorthE (R N S T) - shankarAbharanam - MD
13 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
6 mins neraval in sugadhAraa paravritthE agyAna
6 mins swaras
5B. tani for 6 mins

6A. viruththam kuzhalOsai kEtka manam - hamsAnandi + thazaithONgum - yamunAkalyani +
??? + igabaram tharum - kamas
6B. nAn enna thavam seidhEnO - kamas - ovk

This is the first time i am hearing this vidushi , who is a student of Suguna Varadachari mAmi. She has come and posted few times here (forgot her id), I have a special respect for vidwans and vidushis who come and post , after all this forum is only for and about them.

Puttting that aside just a thought hovers around me as i write this ,The thought is how much one has to minimally focus with janaranjakam . janaranjakam can be of many forms it need not pander to go away with intensity of CM . I just felt without a drop of janaranjakam , there was a little excess pattanthara tightness of suguna v in display and also with way too many heavy ragas in CM and that bit drifted my attention .

Her first slokham was very emotive the ms amma one and her voice was in fine shape . Voice intonation is deep and she moved to a heavy bEgaDa which is good voice opens out well .I just felt the begada was not that clean towards the second half , violin was bit struggling with right sruthi. SHe moved on to kharaharapriya, the raga sketch was there and concise and moved on very well with a lovely neraval ending with a phrase of pallavi line , swaras were done well , her voice tried to reach few upper registers but in those she did not get me that level of musical comfort.

The next was another heavy ragA varAli , it takes a lot of mastery to get it right . Alapana was copy book varAli and her madhyama kala focus was very much there , the weighty krithi of SS followed next in varAli bit lost focus in her delivery.

POst begada, KHP, varAli she moved to the third trinity . Shankarabharanam alapana was done very well , the usual meditative first half was jettisoned and she went with a lot of semmangudish madhyama kala sangathis . Krithis like dakshinamoorthE and akshayalinga vibho need more time to get its intrinsic rasa. with the constraint time it was an admirable krithi rendition . The filler balahamsa is rare and her speedy rendition was not that great, possibly she also needed a little faster mrudangam.

The last viruththam was excellent and naan enna thavam seidhEno got bit affected because of 90 minute deadline . THe violinist shraddha had more shruthi suddham in the second half . The mrudangist G S Nagaraj had a nice sowkhyam a bit more power could have helped , but in tani he had done well.

All said little excess pathantarization to say I am the student of suguna varadAchari and I can sing very heavy carnatic ragas like begada, KHP , varAli and ShankarAbharanam was the message. I am pretty sure few like this (srk and crama were there), but the overall aesthetic attention plot was bit gone for me . Best wishes to pattandhara suddham of Aishwarya Shankar (which turns bit crowded with few more quality students of suguna Varadachari). I had a great first impression, looking forward to hear her soon.

Overall a very good concert for 90 mins.

rajeshnat

Re: Aishwarya Shankar@MusicAcademy On Dec 28th,2017

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 10:02
1B. inta chAlamu - bEgaDa - veenai kuppaiyar
Lji,
Is inta chAlamu begada varnam a patnam or veenai kuppaiyar. I am bit foggy for few reviews i have put veenai kuppaiyar for few patnam , I dont know yet the composer 100% for sure?

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

It was indeed a good concert.

I loved the Varali and shankarabharanam rendition.
As you very well highlighted, Smt. Aishwarya has proved her prowess in handling heavy ragas in a concert. Which is good..

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I think the 11.45pm slot puts this added pressure on young artistes. If you sing a raga like rasikapriya, you get blacklisted for the next couple years :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 10:45 I think the 11.45pm slot puts this added pressure on young artistes. If you sing a raga like rasikapriya, you get blacklisted for the next couple years :)
Suresh 11:45 PM slot, when is academy having vaikunta ekadasi akhandam :) . Just on a tangent ,academy gave best senior vocalist to Savitha narasimhan for Dec 2016, but this year Dec 2017 she is out(is that single year blacklist or bit more - no clue only know the final outcome) . This slot retention/blacklist is very very fuzzy logic . I just saw all the noon slots , female list is quite long than male list , quite a competition best wishes to Aishwarya Shankar in having more rasikapriyas .

yours_truly

Post by yours_truly »

Really? Did'nt know that!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 11:18
Suresh 11:45 PM slot, when is academy having vaikunta ekadasi akhandam :) . Just on a tangent ,academy gave best senior vocalist to Savitha narasimhan for Dec 2016, but this year Dec 2017 she is out(is that single year blacklist or bit more - no clue only know the final outcome) . This slot retention/blacklist is very very fuzzy logic . I just saw all the noon slots , female list is quite long than male list , quite a competition best wishes to Aishwarya Shankar in having more rasikapriyas .
I meant the 11.45am slot. The dynamics for this slot is very different than that for the evening senior slots.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

yours_truly wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 19:46
Really? Did'nt know that!
AFAIK, Smt. M.S.Subbulukashmi didn't sing this SlOka at the start of her concerts; this is sung by Smt Suguna Varadachari and her students.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

intachalamu is by vINai kuppaiyar, vEnugOpAla is the mudra. Patnam's mudra is vEnkaTesha

the varnam is intachalamu not intachAlamu... (chAla---lots/many/more) Vs. chalamu (delay/hesitancy).