Amrutha Venkatesh @ MMA 27 Dec 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
harimau

Re: Amrutha Venkatesh @ MMA 27 Dec 2017

Post by harimau »

kvchellappa wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:39 Harimau hits the stumps instead of the ball. Can understand.
The issue is about a concert that is not thematic. Thyagaraja utsavam, Dikshithar jayanthi, PS jayanthi, Thyagaraja samdhi day. etc. are thematic.
You on the other hand hit your own gonads.

Everybody knows that the so-called Swathi Thirunal krithis were composed by a variety of court musicians. If the Travancore Royal House wants to claim they were all authored by Maharaja Swathi Thirunal, they should attempt to explain away the stylistic differences among those 400-odd compositions.

They should also explain why some of the compositions refer to Brihannayaki. Is that the name of the goddess in any Kerala temple?

Why is the Karnataka Kapi varnam Sumasayaka is an identical copy of a Telugu composition in use by the family of Veena Dhanammal?

So, for all I care, Amrutha Venkatesh and Sanjay Subramanian can sing the Swathi Thirunal compositions in their Navarathri Mantapam concerts or all over Kerala. But they don't have to sing it in the Music Academy or anywhere in Chennai.

If they do it, you know they are singing for their supper! :evil:

musi

Post by musi »

@Harimau

What do you mean "singing for their supper" ?
Even if all of what you said is true, How does it matter? The compositions are a brilliant piece of work.
If every artist sings chakkani raja or manasa guru guha roopam in every concert the art will die.
Sanjay and Amrutha make it a point to introduce many new compositions and composers in their concert and we must appreciate that.
Plus, they are amongst the very few musicians who present these compositions beautifully by enunciating the words perfectly without the aid of tablets/chits.
By doing this they are doing the art a great favor.
Kudos to that.Plus their manodharmam is brilliant.

Sayying that you can sing a song in kerala but not in chennai says your taste and openness as an audience is really going down!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:06 But they don't have to sing it in the Music Academy or anywhere in Chennai.
Thankfully curmudgeons like you with no appreciation of music don't have a say on what should be sung at the Academy or in Chennai. So the SK and the future SK will be singing this wherever and whenever they please.
harimau wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:06 If they do it, you know they are singing for their supper!
It is wonderful that they can do this for their supper. And we are and should be proud of ourselves as a society,

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

.....mau,
ST used his name boldly. He did not hide under a mock name making baseless derogatory comments in a cowardly and deplorable manner. You are no one to dictate who should sing what where. Your choice is whom you want to listen to.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I like Sanjay for this honesty as much as for his music:
"Thank you all for giving me this freedom to do what I want and thank you for your patience and dealing with my own aberrations that may have marred your idea of what SHOULD be."

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I am willing to sing for my supper, but people prefer I keep quiet and reward me with a sumptuous dinner instead! (one is on the cards today, and one more tomorrow, and... So on 😀)

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

harimau,
With due regards to the genius of S Balachander, let me recollect that the so-called Swati debate was over with his times - practically with none to support SB's claims/ allegations. Reopening the subject could best be a time-pass for you.

But I must point out that we have two literary works 'Bhaktimanjari' and 'Syaanandoorapura varnanaa prabandham' authored by Swati Tirunal. And another musicological treatise - 'Muhanaa praasaanthya praasaadi vyvastha'. Whom are you going to attribute these works to? And the numerous padams in Malayalam?

Let us treat the debate as closed and discuss the concert of Amrutha Venkatesh in this thread.

(And congrats to her - she was awarded a prize for best vocalist in the Music academy Sadas yesterday evening).

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Congrats to Amrutha Venkatesh.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Well deserved award - congrats and kudos to her

By the way - is she the only student of Prince Rama Varma?
Hope he grooms some more students who sing so well like Amrutha.