Rama Ravi @ Ragasudha 28 Dec'17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Venkat Ramachandran

Rama Ravi @ Ragasudha 28 Dec'17

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

Nanditha RAvi- Vocal Support, RK Shriram Kumar- Violin, K Arun Prakash- mridangam

1)Pada varnam - Khamas
2)Chidambaram nataraja - Kedaram
3)Bhajana seyave - Kalyani
4)Sukhi evaro - Kanada
5)cede budhi manura- atana
6)raNganayakam - Nayaki
7) Tarunam Idhamma- Gowlipantu
8)aNtharama soundayram - Kedaragowlai followed by thani
9)Elaradayane kamini - Bhairavi (javali)
10) ninnu juchi - punnagavarali (padam)
11) kaliyugadalli hari- senjurutti
12)bayarani - kapi
13) purvikalyani tillana and mangalam

a well deserved standing ovation in the end. Concert is available in YT

vijay.siddharth

Re: Rama Ravi @ Ragasudha 28 Dec'17

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Bayarani is a Javali by Tirupati Narayanaswamy. Or send to be all the rage now with multiple artistes taking it up.

sankark

Post by sankark »

kalyANi had a brief R, brief ns@vAda..Ela
kAnadA R, s@sukhi evarO. What a kAnadA. sowkyam infused to the max!

And then, lo and behold comes a kEdaragowLai and andha rAma soundariyam! ennAl sollappOmo? Is this song set to kg by AK or someone else? If it is someone else, that person has weaved kg into the lyrics so well!

sankark

Post by sankark »

#13 is pUrvi, isn't it?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

SrI AK did not set the tune for his rAmanATaka kRtis - they were originally set to tune by students of his (for tamizh) who were learning music from SrI MD. Later, SrI ARI reset them again - contemporary musicians sing in rAgAs that SrI ARI has set...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

That Ariyakudi avargal tuned Tiruppavais and Rama Nataka krutis is a well known fact

Ragas like Behag, hindolam, sindu bhairavi, jonpuri etc were not employed during the days of AK

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

The kaanada and kedaragaula were both just tooo good. Gosh it was one pristine concert. Each piece rendered, brought tears.

Sukhi evvaro was so sublime and soothing
Antha rama saundaryam was a bonus to me.

Awesomeness it was!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Class concert from start to finish. The kEdAram was new to me, and very beautiful. Sukhi evaro was sung so movingly, and antarAma soundaryam was a refreshing choice for main. Smt. Ravi had sung saraguNa pAlimpa as main a few years back at the same venue. bAyAraNi provided an emotive conclusion to a concert dripping with beauty.

tillAna in pUrvi.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Ponnaiah Pillai

Interestingly, there is a different varNam with the same tune attributed to Sri Swathi Tirunal where the lyric is in Sanskrit: https://youtu.be/hOGXnXMk7Es?t=254

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

The karnataka kapi varnams also share the tune. Sarasaalanu of the quartet and sumasayaka of swathi thirunaal. The former one popularised by brinda school and the latter by KVN school, amongst others.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Phew... what a concert! Wonder why this Maha Vidushi is not featured in the morning MA slots...From the Varnam through Kedaram, Sukhi Evvaro, Andha Ramanin Soundaryam through the Padams and Javalis - Aha... Thanks much to the MahaVidushi and Parivadini. Such concerts bring tears to my eyes. At such age they are able to sing so well - so much discipline and sadhane should have gone through it... A lesson to (folks like me) who are half their age that one should have the sincerity and discipline to pursue ones interests. A huge namaskaram. No one sings Padams and Javalis these days - I had to shout out for a Padam to Ravikiran at BGS :) (and he obliged!)
PS: The tillana is in Poorvi - have heard KVN sing that and also the Rama natakam song (andha ramanin). I named my second daughter after this ragam :)

TheNextBallav

Post by TheNextBallav »

Namaskaram,

I had a small request for help with the lyrics and word by word meaning of the Javali in Kaapi and Roopakam (Bayarani, Tirupati Narayanaswamy Naidu).

In the event this has already been discussed, it would be great if someone were to please share the link.

Thanks and warm regards
😇🙏🏼

TheNextBallav

Post by TheNextBallav »

I had read the post on the link you directed me to. I was wondering if a word to word translation was available? :)

Thanks and regards
:)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

This concert the bhajana seyave in Kalyani and very beautiful niraval will always be in etched in my memory