Malladi Brothers- Thyaga brahma gaana sabha- 28-12-17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
grsastrigal

Malladi Brothers- Thyaga brahma gaana sabha- 28-12-17

Post by grsastrigal »

Malladi brothers
M.A. Sundreswaran
Tumkur B Ravisankar-Mridhangam
Trichy K Murali-Ghatam

28-12-17

Thyaga brahma gana sabha

Ananda bairavi-Varnam-Cheluvuda kori- AmmA chatram kantusamy (as announced by MB)
sAveri- DharithApu leka-Thyagarjar (S)
Darbar-Ragam-nArada guru swami –thyagarajar
Pantuvaraali- Sub-main- rAmanatham bhajeham-Deekshitar
KaRpagAmbikE- Bilahari-PS
DhanyAsi- nE chittamu- Thyagarajar- Neraval in “guruvE uttamagati….”
Tani
Itara dEvathala-bahudhaari-Annamayya
Sarangam rAga kshEtrayya kriti- “yekkadi nEstamu”
DurgA Ra
gam-Jaya jaya durgE- Tarangam
Left….after that.

I was thinking “thrice” before going to the concert because of MAS. His bow playing was always not in my line. Thank God, MAS never let me down…. !!!

As I always pester on singing Tyagarajar kritis in a concert, I also take strong objection in giving a concert referring the books/gadgets.
When Ravikumar (person sits near the violin) sings the vaRnam itself by referring the gadgets, it was atrocious. The other due rendered all the kritis without referring any book, including the Tamil bilahari kriti. He informed that varNam from some new composer. So many varnams, with known composers, that could be rendered without referring the book !!!!

When Sanjay asked the reason for not referring any book, he replied “the sabha gives the amount, whatever we (artists) want and if Iam not able to remember 6-7 kritis (that could be rendered in a concert), it is not the way to reciprocate our thanks/ack to sabhAs…”

Except few artists, all artists start referring paper/books. Present generation takes pride in following practice .

Now, come to MAS. He played “Tani” throughout the concert. Again the Amplification was so bad for violin adding to our woes. MAS is a senior vidwan like VVS. When will he learn to play the instrument with lot of "sokhyam" or at least follow the artists closely in his instrument ?!

Another points(s) (for the duo) merit mention here is, they discuss something at least 2-3 minutes between kritis. Don’t know what they discuss. No planning before the concert ? Second, no need to tell the rAgams or composer after completing the song. We are not that bad to identify sahana or bahudaari. !

sankark

Re: Malladi Brothers- Thyaga brahma gaana sabha- 28-12-17

Post by sankark »

grsastrigal wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:44 Second, no need to tell the rAgams or composer after completing the song. We are not that bad to identify sahana or bahudaari. !
It is not always about I/we, me/us, my/ourself. There were others in the audience? And not all could identify sahana and bahudari?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Yours is not a review, GRS
Since You dont dwell on the music part .You did not complain about drinking water / coffee often , retuning of tanpura,straightening their kurtas etc .
If you had closed your eyes, you would have felt the niceties of a very beautiful concert.
It was a golden mean of streams of consciousness radiating from nednuri ( dhanyasi) and voleti ( panthuvarali )
They always produce effects of a popular saying in kannada
Arakkintha hecchilla , moorakkintha kammi illa
generally in all concerts
with occasional flashes true to their lineage.
----
I write these just to balance the opinions for a neutral reader.
I personally like their approach to a wholesome concert

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

grsastrigal wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:44
Extremely biased in approach to a review !!
Their music has a lot of sowkyam and they pick some of the rarest and best gems in their presentation.
I do not see anything wrong in referring to the notes.
The Anandhabhairavi varnam is a rare varnam not sung often, perhaps the reason why they refer to the notes.
Guess, one should take effort in distinguishing good music and ok music before passing judgemental comments !!!