Bhushany Kalyanaraman, Kartik fine arts, 1.1.2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
bharathi

Bhushany Kalyanaraman, Kartik fine arts, 1.1.2018

Post by bharathi »

Kartik Fine Arts
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
4:30pm

Bhushany Kalyanaraman: Vocal
M R Gopinath: Violin
A. S Ranganathan : Mrudangam
A S Krishnan: Moharsing

Songlist
1. Mangala vara ganapathe : Hamsadwani: Oothukadu venkata Kavi
2.thAye tripura sundari: sudha sAvEri: misra chApu: periyasAmi thooran
3.JankAra sruthi sheguvai: Poorvikalyani: SudhAnanda BhArathi
4. Nee erengaal enil pugal: atAna: PApanAsam Sivan
5.KAlai thooki: Yadukula KhAmboji:Adi thalam: MAri Muthu Pillai
6.Innamum sandEga padalAmO nee dAn: Keeravani: ChApu:Gopalakrishna Bharathi, (N,S@ Ponnabalam tannil)
7. kavalai ellAm kaLaindiDuvadun paramE: Sarawati: Adi: G N Balsubrahmanyam
8.tAmadam En swAmi:Thodi:Adi thalam:Papanasam sivan , ragam, neral swaram @ ival
vaadu unakku udavaadu sogusODanE maadu iruvar maruvum maalmaruganE, Tani
9.Nee dAn tuNai nIlAmbaRI: N. S. Chidambaram : tuned by T S Kalyanaraman in eight ragas

Smt Bhushany Kalyaraman gave a beautiful concert at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan on Jan 1st 2018. Being Tamil isai vizha, all songs were in Tamil and Smt Bhushany gave very good mixture of the many composers, that we rasikas are now accustomed to, thanks to the emphasis on Tamizh Isai in the concert circle these days.

All songs were "old", viz., not so commonly heard these days. I particularly liked JankAra sruthi in Poorvikalyani, KAlai thooki was very good, no ragam to prefix, or swaram to suffix, as the song by itself is rock solid. The Keeravani raga alapanai was very good and the song my favourite, the neraval and swarams at ponnabalam thannil were riveting. Tamadam En Swami, brought the memory of GNB and I simply loved the neraval @ ival vaadu unnakku udavAdu, with a take at the end of the beat. The swarams were well patterned and laid out rather effortlessly. The last raga malika piece was beautiful, it has eight ragas, beautifully set and it was new to me.

The concert was chaste, with perfection in the rendering of the Kritis, peppered with soulful manodharma. Further Smt Bhushany has a wonderful voice that adds to the overall success of the concert. It appears that it is her only concert in this Music season.

All I can say to the sabha secretaries is that it is the loss to the Rasikas that they did not include her in their schedules.
It is a pity that bigger sabhas like MA, NGS, IFAS etc left her out

rajeshnat

Re: Bhushany Kalyanaraman, Kartik fine arts, 1.1.2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Few years back i had a chance to hear and review her academy. I recollect your review from kalpakkam few months back . she has an eye on compositions popularized by her guru sunaadha vinodhan . Glad she gave an exclusive thamizh concert and more importantly you wrote what was sung. That s kalyanaraman ragamaliga nee than thunai is way too exotic. I am happy that exclusive thamizh concerts which is only an occurrence in Parrys is moving to alwarpet and mylapore during season.

bharathi

Post by bharathi »

Thanks Rajeshnat.. wish there were more in the audience to enjoy the fare

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

bharathi wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 13:33 1. Mangala vara ganapathe : Hamsadwani: Oothukadu venkata Kavi
I believe this is a varNam composed by Shri T.S. Kalyanaraman.

bharathi

Post by bharathi »

Sorry...did not know that