Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam/ MA Krishnaswamy/ Shertalai Ananthakrishnan/ Alathur Rajaganesh MFAC

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sbopparaju

Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam/ MA Krishnaswamy/ Shertalai Ananthakrishnan/ Alathur Rajaganesh MFAC

Post by sbopparaju »

Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam/ MA Krishnaswamy/ Shertalai Ananthakrishnan/ Alathur Rajaganesh
MFAC
This has definitely long been due but got delayed due to work pressures.
I had listened to Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam at her concert for the BVB and she was in great form. She did a detailed Latangi and Keeravani, between the two of which she presented a delightful rendition of the gem of a krithi Mamava Pattabhirama. So I went with a lot of expectations to her concert for the MFA and she didn’t let me down! Right from the word go, it was an energetic and serene concert, paradoxical as that may sound!
Songlist
1. Nataikurinji Varnam
2. Siddhi Vinayakam – Chamaram
3. Dorakuna – Bilahari
4. Jambupathe – Yamunakalyani
5. Sarasa sama dana – Kapi narayani
6. Rama neeyada – Kharaharapriya ( started from Kamini..)
7. RTP – Malayamarutham veesude pooncholayile – Eedilla – Adi (with ragamalika swaras in Sahana, sucharitra and a few I don’t remember now)
8. Tulsi das bhajan – Peelu
9. Kummi
10. Mangalam

Dr. VS has a very sweet, strong and resonant voice. Very facile and well aligned with Sruti. I do enjoy the fact that the tambura is heard well in her concerts. The NK varnam set it off to a grand start. Lovely bhava laden swaras in Chamaram, with good returns from MAK. Bilahari was delineated with lots of fast phrases and was followed up with Dorakuna at a brisk pace. The percussion duo provided able support to the rendering of cascading sangatis that the composition offers and the team was in good harmony.
Jambupathe - what a terrific rendition! A very leisurely pace that brought out every nuance of the raga and with her clear diction—it was sheer bliss! After the filler in Kapi Narayani, came the majestic Karaharapriya. It was covered in every detail, with extended tara sthyai sancharas. The start at the anupallavi – Kamini vesha dhariki—was impressive. Excellent neraval and swaras with audience applauding in appreciation. I enjoyed the choice of neraval at – Prema rahithulaku Nee nama ruchi telusuna. With her bhava laden phrasings of - Nee nama, Rama nama and Sita Rama – it was immensely enjoyable and elevating. Tani was very good by Ananthakrishnan and Rajaganesh but a tad bit long for my liking – 25 mins!
Malayamarutham wafted in next, enhancing the evening mood. Would have been even more apt for the open auditorium that MFAC used to be! Ragam and Tanam by both vocal and violin was very enjoyable. The simple line was sung with a lot of joy.
Her bhajans are always a class apart and the kummi was an interesting tukda with a difference.

A wonderful and wholesome concert that one enjoyed every bit of! I do hope Dr. VS’s travels will not make her scarce around here and we will get to hear more of her this year!

rajeshnat

Re: Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam/ MA Krishnaswamy/ Shertalai Ananthakrishnan/ Alathur Rajaganesh MFAC

Post by rajeshnat »

How is overall sound experience in MFAC is it ok are speakers distributed well?. We have to sacrifice the natural breeze for better sound retention is my best guess. Kudos to viji subra in taking malayamarutham RTP few of present generation musicians have tried - sanjay , Trichur brothers .... I think her student HR wrote some time back mentioning this RTP in malayamarutham where Viji Subra sang .

arasi

Re: Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam/ MA Krishnaswamy/ Shertalai Ananthakrishnan/ Alathur Rajaganesh MFAC

Post by arasi »

Wish I had heard her!
Yes, her voice and finesse in presentation are assets.
malayamArutam is 'breezy' indeed, and the pUnjOlai (flower garden) adds an inviting atmosphere to it.
Reminds me of an age old pallavi line from yore:
mOhana vELaiyidE, vasanta kAlamidE!
malayamArutam vIsum, Ananda bhairavi aruLum--mOhana vELaiyidE

sbopparaju

Post by sbopparaju »

I think the audio was pretty good..certainly significantly better after all the infra upgrades!