Nisha Rajagopal@nadasudha On Jan 12th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------
Vocal: Nisha Rajagopal
Violin : R Raghul
Mrudangam : Delhi Sairam

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow
Day/Duration : Friday/ 2 hours and 15 mins (06:35 PM to 08:50 PM)
Concert Type: Donar Pass Concert
Hall : ganapathi sachidananda Ashram , Velachery

1.Ananda nartana ganapathim bhAvayE - nattai- OVK
2.nAda loludai(R,S) - kalyanavasasntham - T
5 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
5 mins swaras

3. sArasAksha (R N S) - pantuvarAli - ST
10 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
neraval in bhAmini samduday for 5 mins
4 mins swaras

4. brOvavammA bangAru - neelAmabari -SS
5. Pattividuvaradhu - Manjari- T

6A. saravana bhava guhanE (R N S) - madhyamavati - psivan
11 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
neraval for 8 mins in annaiyOdu thanthai nee
swaras for 9 mins
6B. tani for 8 mins

7. abhang - brindavane venu - bhimplas?? + patdeep??? - bhAnudAsA
8. varugalAmo - mAnji - gkb
9. nee nAma roopamulaku

Nadasudha,velachery in ganapathi sachidananda ashram is a great discovery and this is my third concert after hearing palkkad ramprasad and charumathi in 2017-2018 season . Nisha is a very meticulous singer , she always has nice song selections ,her gurus were Suguna V, PSN and TRS in reverse time order and she must be guided by her mom Vasundhara rajagopal who has also learnt from kolkata krishnamurthy.

Her nattai start was well done for most time with few occassional glances to her gadget may have robbed a bit of music . The OVK nattai krithi started with the pallavi phrase Ananda naratana ganapathim and she added few embellishments possibly it is OVK who added that (dont know)like paramA ananda and sadA ananda just made me think about the taala raaga swaroopan . Nattai could have added a dash of swaras but she let go that.

Nisha has an emote centric voice and kalyanavasantham adds lot of charm . She did well for most of the rendition of the flagship song of kalyanavasantham ,but some time in midpoint the volume of mrudangam was slightly jacked up. The vocal nAda loludai got a bit camouflaged with mrudangam nAda loludai.

PantuvarAli alapana was done well but few places the close cousin poorvikalyani did show up . I liked her aggression and this is where I thought Nisha showed more improvement than the last time I heard her . She is taking more conscious choice to sing with more brighas and not get into little overloaded melody and sowkhyam squat . THe bhAmini neraval was well done , the swaras also rolled well , the symmetry of pantuvarali swaras gives a little more speed and Nisha grabbed and did well.

Neelamabari of Shyama sastri was dropped next as vilambakala krithi . I did hear the same krithi of hers few years back , this was not as great as last time . The emote was still good and she conveyed the lilting hues of neelambari which kept all of us glued . Pattividuvaradu was the low point of the concert , i found her mel kalam and turns was not that impressive , with she not going for any swaras. Nisha needs to work more in fast numbers.

Madhyamavati was really well done , Nisha has taken quite a lot of cues from the tigress MLV and I loved her rendition. THe alapana had power in her voice and the emote did not get dissipated with the addition of power . I was expecting a thamizh krithi after T and SS being done and I got the same exact saravana bhava guhane that i had in my mind . The neraval was measured and well done , her enunciation of neraval line was well done and the team did the best here. She kept up very well in both neraval and swaras and I just thought if it was a bigger sabha in a more prominent place she would have had more applause.

Tukkadas had one abhang and she did not announce it as abhang . I think the abhang was bhimplas (hopefully not abheri) and also had a small tour to patdeep. At one segment in the abhang there was just alapana phrases and I heard singAravelanin song of S Janaki from that old tamil movie konjum salangai. Not all abhangs interest me and this one also was just there . The next was a complete prayachirtham of abhang and varugalamO ayya by GKB was sung well. MAnji could have had a bit more moonji if she had little more power in her voice , nevertheless a great rendition. I get goosebump moments in few lines in this varugalAmO krithi and Nisha gave me enough so that i donot crib.

R Raghul had a previous slot and he continued playing for this eveningslot . I felt he could have tuned his violin bit more in nAdham , the press was there but melody i would not say that high. In madhyamavati it got settled and he did a fine job there . Delhi sairam has a lot of intelligence , every tiruvarur bhakthavatsalam student you cannot question them on rhythmmic patterns only the volume is bit debatable. He asked for a slight increase in song #2 and I felt his volume could have been a shade below . HIs pattern in madhyamavathi was well done and i liked him giving so much variety in neraval and swaras and that was the top pick. Sairam played a nice tani quickly getting to the second round and hence giving more air time for nisha.

Nisha's asset is her madhyamakAlam , her durita kalam needs more polish for sure . She brings a great degree of emote and her brighas are having bit more verve for sure at times I am getting a feeling of Gayatri of Ranjani Gayatri typcast. She is consciously adding numbers of Aruna Sairam and her approach is like Aruna Sairam even if by any chance that Aruna has not sung those numbers.Who knows Nisha may soon get that kind of popularity like what Aruna enjoyed from say 1995 to 2015 in few years time.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 15 minutes