Madurai TNS Krishna@MFAC On Jan 26th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------
Vocal: TNS Krishna
Violin : Shertalai Sivakumar
Mrudangam : Neyveli Narayanan
Ghatam: H Prasanna
Tambura : Vaidyanathan

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow
Day/Duration : Friday/ 2 hours and 35 mins (06:00 PM to 08:35 PM)
Concert Type: Free Concert
Hall : MFAC hall, Mylapore
Occassion : Thyagaraja Aradhana
All renditions were all dedicated to the bard of tiruvayaru

1A.Slokham - vyAsO ... bhakthi vishayE praklAdayE - reetigowlai
1B. rAgaratnamAli(S) - reetigowlai
swaras for 3 mins

2.girirAjasudhA tanaya (S) - bangla
3.etula brOtuvO - chakravakham

4. amma rAvammA (R N S)- kalyAni
7 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
4 mins neraval in tamarasa tala netra
9 mins swaras

5. kanna thalli neevu (R)- sAveri
3 mins alapana with no return
6. ee vasudhA(R)- sahana
2 mins alapana with no return

7. manasulOni (N,S) - varamu
2 mins neraval sketch in kani karambutO
3 mins swaras

8A. dAchukovaleraA (R N S T)- todi
11 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
8 mins neraval in saumiTri thyagaraja
15 mins ragamaliga swaras in todi + nattai+ gowlai + arabi+ varAli + bahudari+ jayanthasena? + jaganmohini+ karnataka devagandhari?? (bhimplas??)+ katanakathoohulam+kuntalavarAli + ????? + shree ranjani + todi
8B. tani for 13 mins

9. ennagAna manasu (R)- neelambari

10. pAhi kalyAnarAma pavana guna- piloo
11. sobAnE (vadana juthi ) - pantuvarali (madhyamashruthi)
12. nagumOmu galavAni - madhyamavati

13. Pavamana - sowrashtram
14. mini slokham - rAmabrahmA - shuruTTi

rajeshnat

Re: Madurai TNS Krishna@MFAC On Jan 26th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

The concert overdrive season has surely ended . Most of the engagements in chennai during republic day Jan 26th seems to go with more share of dance and dramas.CM is limited to very few. Yesterday If i am right apart from this TNSK concert there was just one nagaswaram concert as part of the series in BGS. If I am right even ragasudha did not have one . THe second half of Jan has few concerts in Astika samajam in Tiruvanmiyur and then some time in Feb we have the rathnagireeshwarar concerts . As such in next few months those artists who escape out of chennai may have concerts .

TNS Krishna had a slot dedicated to Sadguru Thyagaraja and as expected all the numbers that were sung were from the CM flagship vaggeyakkara. Krishna started with a lovely slokham in a pure classical CM raga reetigowlai and landed in the lovely krithi ragarathna . Reetigowlai rakthi was indeed there but I felt when he sang few round of swaras the ideas were there but there was a little extra thrust of forceful air which did not result in a well rounded sowkhyam.

His illustrious appa usually sings a lot of concerts with giri raja sudha in rare bangla, tnsk sang with its usual western tilted sangathis .Felt the bangla swaras were not that wholesome but i guess being bangla that is all that you get. THe vilambit was next and it was nice to hear a little slower etula brOtuvO in chakravakam. This raga and this krithi combination certainly showed another facet of Sadguru.

THe submain was kalyani. The alapana had its usual share of copybook drowsy sangathis and some time at midpoint he sang lovely brigas in single breathcycle and i enjoyed it a lot . THe krithi ammaravamma is a pracheenakrithi and he gave more aesthetical comfort when there was neraval, the dash of swaras were not well controlled breathcycle i felt TNS krishna could have done better there with more evenness .

TNSK took the next 2 krithis with alapana and without violin return . THe first in saveri was lovely. His rendition of the rare krithi kanna thalli neevu was to me the pick in terms of his immaculate rendition.THe bhakthi of sadguru indeed was there in his saveri rendition. The next sahana eevasudha is a bit unconventional racy number in sahana he dropping eevasudha prior to main was a bit of head turner as usually musicians take it up as 2 drop.I loved sahana in parts i felt his energy was slightly going up and down in eevasudha in second half.

I was expecting his dads favourite big 6 as main and I indeed got that queen of raga-todi . Todi alapana was superbly sung by krishna , the nagaswara piDi was there throughout and it was intensely classical. THe krithi dachukovalena a slightly faster krithi when compared to other todi krithis was very appealing . Neraval was bit way too measured and censored I felt he could have gone bit more. The swaras in todi were well done with lot of appa like kanakku getting distributed at regular intervals and there was a long tail of 12+ ragamaliga swaras and then he went back to few rounds of swaras in todi.

The tail part of the concert had all krithis of sadguru divya nama sankeerthanam series with one neelambari being exception . I felt little more repetition could have given bit more ennagAnu nee manasu bit more neelambari raga devathai. The piloo utsava sampradaya pahirAma was well done but the pick was the sObanE his voice and near madhyamasruthi pantuvarali was a near perfect finish. The last madhyamavati utsava sampradaya was rushed and did not have that much curves of madhyamavati . Post nee nAma he sang one more mini slokham in shurutti with few key words like rama brahma and I asssuming that was in praise of Sadguru

The violinist Shertalai sivakumar was certainly short in aesthetics.In first place,He must have tuned his violin better, there was quite a bit of squeaky notes . Neyveli narayanan was a fine player all throughout the concert he has so many patterns and he does not yet show seniority over banging attribute . Narayanan indeed lifted . H Prasanna could have had bit more sound but he is showing a lot of aggression like his guru V Suresh. Their tani was just good and I thought they did it on purpose to pay more obeisance to vageyyakara and also give bit more air time to the vocalist.

Day by day I am noticing TNSK is blossoming as a very serious musician in showing pADandara suddham. Yesterday he had an opportunity to show bit more devotion to the composer and he showed that in total without much of fuss .All his underlying fabric was bhakthi without losing focus on intense music. In particular He paying attention to start and end with slokham shows that aspect for sure and his musical bhakthi towards sadguru.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 35 mins.

rshankar

Re: Madurai TNS Krishna@MFAC On Jan 26th,2018

Post by rshankar »

#2 -should be girirAja sutA - girirAja sudhA is probably an nectar (sudhA) from the Himalayas (girirAja)... 😀