Chitravina N.Ravikiran l Global Heritage Music Fest 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Chitravina N.Ravikiran l Global Heritage Music Fest 2017

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdYPQo12H0

Concert of a lifetime. Took me back to moments where I was in IITM CLT years back, whilst his father would break into a mild laughter at the interventions of Sri Palghat Raghu, sitting a row in front of me.

The cognition of syllables in tyAgarAja yOga vaibhavam, and the glides of Anantha matching the slides of Ravikiran is a relish.

The intervening kAntAmaNi , I was hoping would be kuntaLam ;) - well that would be dIkshitar heavy , but his syllable cognition would have continued 8-)

rItigauLa - a bold one - but his usual trait. A NA concert was suruTTi vaRNAm, nArAyaNa gauLa on request and then madyamAvati RTP also on requested request :lol: what you might call it - an allied rAgAs concert - why only lecdems? :lol:

But his careful splitting of advaitamu in dvaitamu sukhamA is a permanent gripe for me against all musicians, why can't the pause be after dvaitamu - to take sukhamAdvaitamu without breaking sandhi? We get a kARvai over saSabda kriya as bonus! Oh Well!

It was a sukham filled rendition nevertheless and a superb tani, and lots of khaNDams to 3/4 or 1-1/2 by the percussionists all great stuff.

Haven't caught up further tailing items yet!

LalguDi Vijayalakshmi's accompaniment added great support to his concert - I liked all her replies both kAntAmaNi and rItigauLa.

I should add that the kAntAmaNi rAgam was handled with vivEkam required for vivAdhi - never jarring, but displaying the beauty of intimately positioned but dissonant notes :)

uday_shankar

Re: Chitravina N.Ravikiran l Global Heritage Music Fest 2017

Post by uday_shankar »

Thanks for sharing...I missed this one... must have not been in Chennai...

Brilliantly conceived and executed Hamsanandi varnam. What a master of his craft.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Chitravina N.Ravikiran l Global Heritage Music Fest 2017

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Well, Kaanthaamani was a pleasant deviation from the routine package we get elsewhere. The opening Varnam (Hamsanandi-khandanadai based) too was unique.

I was lucky to have caught up with the function from beginning. The US Consulate General, Chennai who inaugurated the event sat through the entire concert of more than an hour. And he did not leave immediately after, but had some discussion with Ravikiran as well as other dignitaries mostly on the recital. A nice gesture.

Other guests who spoke at the inaugural lauded the support of the General towards the artist community in the formalities at the US Embassy for Visa etc. Yes, he has a role in making Carnatic music global!