Ranjani - Gayathri at FAS, Chembur - Mumbai, 17th Feb., 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
arunsri

Ranjani - Gayathri at FAS, Chembur - Mumbai, 17th Feb., 2018

Post by arunsri »

Fine Arts Society, Chembur, Mumbai
==============================
Saturday -17th Feb.2018
6:25 PM to 9:55 PM
Smt. Ranjani and Gayathri
Sri. H.N. Bhaskar – Violin
Delhi Sri. Sairam - Mridangam
Sri. Chandrasekhara Sharma - Ghatam

1. sAmidayajUDa – kEdAragauLa varnam – Adi – thiruvOTriyur thyAgaiyEr
2. vandisuvudAdiyalli – nATTa – khaNDachApu – purandaradAsa (S)
3. mahAlakshmikaruNArasa – mAdhavamanOhari – Adi – muthuswAmy dIkshitar
4. ninnuchEppa – mandAri – Adi – paTnam subrahmaNya iyEr (R, N, S at ghanalOla..)
5. sharaNamsharaNamraghurAmA – asAvEri – mishrachApu – aruNAchala kavi
6. kaligiyuNTE – kIravANi – Adi – thyAgarAja (R , S at bAgugashrIraghu)
7. tani
8. ADinAyEkaNNa – mOhanakalyANi – Adi – ambujam krishnA
9. RTP – kannaDa and kAnaDa – sharavaNabhava guhanE shaNmukhanE yEnnai kA naDarAja maindA – tishra naDai Adi (2 kaLai) then 1 kaLai + rAgamAlikaswaras in kannaDagauLa, navarasakannaDa, darbArikAnaDa and nIlamaNi (with shrutibEdham into shivaranjani)
10. vADIADi – viruttam in tODi, pUrvikalyANi and karnATaka dEvagAndhAri
11. eppaDipADInArO - karnATaka dEvagAndhAri – Adi – suddhAnandabhArati
12. jAnakinAtha sahAya karE – yamunA kalyANi – tuLasidAs bhajan
13. mAzhA hA viTThala – pilu – jAnAbAi abhang
14. mangalam

Concert for me, took off from the asAvEri, highlight was the kiravani ragam and the grand RTP. The last RM swara was mind blowing,where the sruti bEdham was so effortless between nIlamaNi and sivaranjani... mind blowing is the word! Smt. Ranjani's darbAri kAnaDa was also soulful. There were many ahA moments from the asAvEri on!!

The tail pieces were very nice. the viruttam and eppaDi pADinArO was soulful, so were the bhajan and the abhang. They explained the meaning of the abhang, and it made it more special.

I felt Smt. Ranjani's voice was a bit strained. Hope it is only temporary. Smt. Gayathri makes singing look so easy and effortless.

HNB was a perfect foil to the sisters. The anticipation of the percussion bench enriched the concert greatly. Nice team and a nice concert

rajeshnat

Re: Ranjani - Gayathri at FAS, Chembur - Mumbai, 17th Feb., 2018

Post by rajeshnat »

arunsri wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 23:30 9. RTP – kannaDa and kAnaDa – sharavaNabhava guhanE shaNmukhanE yEnnai kA naDarAja maindA – tishra naDai Adi (2 kaLai) then 1 kaLai + rAgamAlikaswaras in kannaDagauLa, navarasakannaDa, darbArikAnaDa and nIlamaNi (with shrutibEdham into shivaranjani)
About half a decade back Pantula rama sang RTP with kannada and KAnadA combination in music academy. There was a mention in The HIndu and if I am right some one posted in rasikas too. Nice to see RaGa sisters attempting the same combo. They have crafted the phrase yEnnai kA naDarAjA , is it permissible to just say kA in yEnnai kA naDarAja , may be rshankar or arasi can comment on the usage of just the word kA. Is it the same meaning as the word kA vA vA in varAli where I still dont know the meaning of kA ;)
Thank you for the review arunsri.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I think that "kA" does imply "kAppAi". However, use of naDarAjA to get rAga name kAnadA may be acceptable in Tamil though the correct word is naTarAjA; but there is no way to make the distinction between naTarAja & naDarAjA in Tamil script.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajesh - remember the varALi kRti of SrI Sivan’s? kA vA vA?..... the pallavi ends with yennai kA vA vElavA - all the kAs here mean kApATRa - kA can also be used for kApATRu/kAppAi.

priyashekar

Post by priyashekar »

May be too many concerts makes voice strained . Missing bombay concerts after being transferred to Dehradun. Any reviews of Sanjay which i guess was on next day. Eagerly waiting.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I was about to ask you about Sanjay concert.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

sorry, did not attend lalgudi siblings and sanjay

Lalgudi siblings had rAvE himagirikumAri as one item

sanjay had ninnu sEvinchina (yadukula kAmbhoji) and RTP kalyANi

harimau

Post by harimau »

rajeshnat wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 09:34
arunsri wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 23:30 9. RTP – kannaDa and kAnaDa – sharavaNabhava guhanE shaNmukhanE yEnnai kA naDarAja maindA – tishra naDai Adi (2 kaLai) then 1 kaLai + rAgamAlikaswaras in kannaDagauLa, navarasakannaDa, darbArikAnaDa and nIlamaNi (with shrutibEdham into shivaranjani)
About half a decade back Pantula rama sang RTP with kannada and KAnadA combination in music academy. There was a mention in The HIndu and if I am right some one posted in rasikas too. Nice to see RaGa sisters attempting the same combo. They have crafted the phrase yEnnai kA naDarAjA , is it permissible to just say kA in yEnnai kA naDarAja , may be rshankar or arasi can comment on the usage of just the word kA. Is it the same meaning as the word kA vA vA in varAli where I still dont know the meaning of kA ;)
Thank you for the review arunsri.
Ka is short for Kakam (crow).

Kaa is also the python in Jungle Book.