South Bend/Notre Dame Thyagaraja Aradhana 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
jinija

South Bend/Notre Dame Thyagaraja Aradhana 2018

Post by jinija »

The South Bend-Notre Dame area had its own Thyagaraja Aradhana this year, thanks to the initiatives and hard work of rasaali (Vinay). The event, held on January 13th, commenced with a short presentation by rasaali on Thyagaraja Swami's life and music. This was followed by a group rendition of the pancharathna kriti Endaro Mahanubhavulu and individual renditions of Thyagaraja's kritis. The singers were accompanied by rasaali on the violin and Sri Rajesh Salem, senior mridangam artiste from Naperville, IL, who was kind enough to make the long drive to South Bend to be a part of the occasion. Here are some photos of the event, courtesy meenaakshi. Thanks meenaakshi!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks once again to rasaali for the untiring efforts in putting together this wonderful event and sharing the beauty of Carnatic music with the SB community!

P.S. This is more of a report, rather than a "review". And, I apologize for posting this so late, several weeks after the event - I couldn't find the time until now!

rajeshnat

Re: South Bend/Notre Dame Thyagaraja Aradhana 2018

Post by rajeshnat »

What a lovely effort for a small town like South Bend , Indiana to conduct Thyagaraja aradhana. Kudos to all and Captain Vinay whose name is only North Bend .

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vinay,
Appreciate you for your efforts, your being relatively a new resident there :) South Bend is doing its best in arranging concerts (with lots of efforts from a handful of serious rasikAs, of course). Good that you have joined the force with your music and good work!

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

Cool title ;) for a cool event :)

Thanks Siva and Vinay.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meeeeenaaakshi,
As usual, your pictures capture the spirit of the occasion!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

jinija wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 06:29 Sri Rajesh Salem, senior mridangam artiste from Naperville, IL, who was kind enough to make the long drive
He looks familiar. I have met him in CTU once. Also If I place him right, he must be a senior who was in IITM , playing in Mardi Gras competition ( the YACMers had just graduated out of it just a year back or so I heard ;) ) . When he missed Sri T. Upendran, the judge that day asked him to do konnakol and then play again - and I think he got it right!

What a kind person: Sri T.U.!!

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Hello all and sorry for the delay in responding to the lovely posts!

@jinija & @ meeenakshi - thanks for the writeup and the pictures. I did nothing except floating an idea. As the core rasikas of the area, your encouragement and participation was key.

@arasi-ji and @(General)rajeshnat- Thanks for your lovely words.

It was a very heartwarming day for me. People turned up, they brought food voluntarily. One family even "preponed" their return from overseas to attend the event.

Not enough can be said about Sri Rajesh Salem. To drive 2.5 hours each way in terrible conditions to just accompany individual songs speaks volumes of his dedication and large-heartedness.

@shankarnk - you are spot on about Rajesh. He is an IIT-M alum. Disciple of his father Sri. S.V. Varadarajan (of Ramnad Easwara Iyer school) and then learned from Sri K.M. Vaidyanathan and Sri Karaikkudi Mani, who continues to be his guru.

Thanks all!
Rasaali