P.GANESH, Chitraveena 25.02.2018 Chennai Fine Arts

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sivaramakrishnan

P.GANESH, Chitraveena 25.02.2018 Chennai Fine Arts

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Chennai Fine Arts
@ Sastri Hall, Luz, Chennai
25.02.2018 (Sunday)
6-8.30 pm.

P Ganesh-Chitraveena
V V Srinivasa Rao-Violin
B Sivaraman- Mridangam
SreeSundar Kumar-Kanjira

Pitch 5.5 kattai (G*)

Kritis
1 Kambodhi-Taruni-Varnam-Tiruvotriyur Tyagayyar- Aadi
2 Naata- Swaminatha paripalayaasu Maam-Dikshitar- Aadi
3 Chakravakam-Sugunamuley-Tyagaraja-Rupakam
4 Mukhari- Eraarkola thigazh kidanthan -Paripurnan-Khandachapu
5 Janaranjani- Vidajalatura- Tyagaraja-Aadi
6 Chintamani-Devi Brova samayamithe-Syama sastri- Aadi ('Main' - followed by Tani)
7 Behag-Tillana-N Ravikiran-Aadi
Mangalam

The concert of P Ganesh, disciple of Chitravina Narasimhan and Ravikiran, was rich in sowkhyam element. The modest gathering on the Sunday evening enjoyed it immensely.

* The Varnam (which is not commonly heard these days) provided an authentic start.

* Swamintha Paripalaya was fortified with several rounds of kalpanaswaras in the second speed to match the kalapramaana of this celebrated Dikshitar kriti.

*Chakravakam aalapana was presented in detail and followed up by Sugunamuley chepukonti. Lucid neraval passages and swaraprastaras in the gripping Rupaka Taala enlivened the rendering. This turned to be the 'sub-main' of the concert.

*After a brief outline of Mukhari, Ganesh presented a composition in praise of Lord Sarangapani of Thirukudanthai (Kumbakonam) : Eraarkola thigazh kidanthan ena ezhvaraal seeraarpaakkalaal potritta thirukkudanthai. Ganesh vocally demonstrated the Pallavi sahitya of this contemporary kriti composed by Paripurnan.

* A brisk rendering of Vidajalatura was engaging and maintained absolute fidelity to Janaranjani.

* Devi brova samayamithe (Chintamani) was the main item of the concert. (It was a request by the violinist). Raga alapana was sober and Ganesh’s rendering of the kriti was marked by a solid paathantara and adherence to the sancharas characteristic of the raga. Swaraprastaara was excellent. I felt that this is a unique kriti that doesn’t accommodate nor need a neraval segment – it’s so complete in itself!

(Incidentally Devibrova samayamithe was also the ‘main’ at the Musiri Chamber concert by Chitraveena Ravikiran just a week back on 18th Feb! I had already posted a review in this forum).

* A thrilling Tillana (composition of Ravikiran) in Behag -which is gaining popularity in concert platforms of late- preceded the Mangalam.

Violin accompaniment by Srinivasa Rao was supportive and sweet. The percussionists Sivaraman and SundarKumar played with verve but without masking the starins of the Chitraveena. The tani was laced with Khanada nadai prayogas and the final mohra & korvai were interesting.

It was an evening of chaste music.

It’s a welcome thing that Chennai Fine Arts takes care to document all their programmes meticulously for posterity. Thanks to P N Muralidharan, the driving force of the organisation. He is a prolific composer too (pseudonym: Paripurnan). Ganesh had included a kriti of his in this concert.
Last edited by Sivaramakrishnan on 28 Feb 2018, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

vijay.siddharth

Re: P.GANESH, Chitraveena 25.02.2018 Chennai Fine Arts

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Thank you for the informative review, Sir!

Just a correction - the composer of the Kambhoji varnam Taruni Ninnu is Fiddle Ponnuswami Iyer, who, according to the Tamil edition of Tiruvetriyur Tyagayya's Pallavi Swara Kalpavalli (brought out by vidwan Thezhendur Ranganathan) was a disciple of Veena Kuppayyar and a contemporary of Tiruvetriyur Tyagayyar.

Sivaramakrishnan

Thanks vijay, for the correction.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you sankark for the review. I am keen on listening to his playing. It has been ages. At the Cleveland classy fusion concerts,I see Ganesh with the chitravina but he barely gets any time to play it.To belong to a family with a treasure house of music!

Sivaramakrishnan

arasi wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:15 Thank you sankark for the review. I am keen on listening to his playing. It has been ages. At the Cleveland classy fusion concerts,I see Ganesh with the chitravina but he barely gets any time to play it.To belong to a family with a treasure house of music!
1. That's a good point, Arasi Ji.

2. And I have a wish: Ganesh accompanying his big brother Sangita Kalanidhi Ravikiran in the Chitraveena! Of course I have
enjoyed this stellar combination a couple of times, but many many years ago. I have requested them also. Am waiting for that day
when they give a full-fledged concert in the traditional instrument with kritis like Amba paradevathey(Rudrapriya), Varanarada
(Vijayasree), Kanchi Kamakshi (Bhairavi), an apoorva kriti of Oothukadu, Sree venkatesam varam (Todi-Poochi Iyengar), the
Naathanamakriya padam (Payyada) and that incredible Pancha Raga-Tala Malika of Ravikiran, to list a few!!

I think this is a reasonable wish of a die-hard admirer of the Kirans!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Aanaaalum romba perasai. :D

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Is this the same Ganesh who sings with Saskiran as Carnatica Brothers ?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:22 Is this the same Ganesh who sings with Saskiran as Carnatica Brothers ?
Yes