Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi Violin duet - Sydney - today

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
HarishankarK

Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi Violin duet - Sydney - today

Post by HarishankarK »

Mridangam -SK Sri Trichy Sankaran

The duo(actually trio including mridangam) gave a brilliant close to 3.5 hours concert here in Sydney. Melody and calmness prevailed throughout.

Varnam - Bowli- adi-LGJ
Enudu Juthunu - Kalavati- Tyagaraja-swaras
Kannadagowla sketch -Sogasujuda - elaborate swaras
Bilahari alap- Naa jeevadhara -T- swaras - elaborate brilliant melody soaked swaras
Mukhari short alap - Enta Ninne Varninthunu-T - swaras (didn't hear this one as I had to step outside )
Rasikapriya-Arul Seyya-KI
Nattaikurunji-Manasu Vishaya - swarams - tani
Kalyana Vasantham sketch - Nadaloludai
Dharmavathi -RTP
Chatusra Triputa - khanda nadai
Unn arul tandida tamadama - dayapari - maheshwari Amba
Swarams in Dharmavati, Sahana, Varamu, Vasanthabhairavi, Saranga and reverse order
Saranga by Smt Vijayalakshmi was superb and stood out - the varamu sounded a bit like Hindolam - guess it was shudhdha hindolam
Annapoorne Visalakshi-Sama-MD
Jonouri sketch - Eppo Varuvaro-GKB
Mand (surprise as all thought it will be tillanna) but it was Baro Krishnayya-P.Dasa
Enna tavam Seidanai - Kapi- P. Sivan
Sindu Bhairavi Tillanna - Lalgudi
Mangalam-T

Nattakurunji alapanai and song was like a dream - casting a beautiful spell on everyone

hnbhagavan

Re: Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi Violin duet - Sydney - today

Post by hnbhagavan »

fantastic List.Definitely the lalgudi Duo are giving concerts of the highest class.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Here is a posting in FB:

Post by Hari Subramanyan

ThyagaGudi all the way!

To those who look up to sukham and sowkyam in music. And whose weaving are but gems of truth. Everywhere and at all times. To such devotees of athmasangeetham, this I say....it was "ThyagaGudi" all the way. Lost in the myriad gamakams of Bowli, Kannadagowla and so on, the Lalgudi duo weaved purity in sahityam, perplexity in manodharmam and purpose in its listening. Gurubyonamaha could not have got a better sense in these contours. Be it the prostration to surya in Bowli or enunciating the beauty of Rama in Kannadagowla (Sogasujuda), GJR and Viji's workship's clear eyes rested high. Their violins in unison asked, venerated, implored and perhaps better to use the Tamil word 'konjal', of Thyagaraja's Rama as they exalted his name, of the crimson lips and bright blue arms. Krishnan's eyes were closed, Viji's eyes at times on her brother and at times meditating on what is to flow through her fingers, that came in and passed by as a sogasu. The doyen Sankaran Sir spoke in unison, his fingers, producing deft touches, enhancing every note of the violin, its bhavam and swabhavam the trio left the audience in immersion. The same I could say of everything else that followed. Whether Krishnan did the alapana or Viji, whether Viji commenced the swara-alapana or Krishnan, it was purely umbilical. It seldom differentiated except in their own individual stamp furthering the lalgudi the banyan spread. Each brought a fresh spectrum to their vidwat. Trichy Sankaran Sir was a pillar indescribable. A special mention must be made on the majesticity of Naa Jeevadaro (Bilahari). Many have feared to tread this krithi after the extraordinary exposition by their father (accompanied by Srimathy Brahmanandam, Lalgudi's sister). I once heard Maharajapuram Sir remark (when requested to sing the krithi at Ragapriya in Madurai), "avarthan (denoting Lalgudi) konnutare athai" (for thy killed it in his grandest rendition that any other to do justice would be futile!). The duo did not disappoint but built upon the masterful learning and shined high. In particular, GJR's short swara aksharams, brisk and pacy enlivened the analysis. Viji complemented with dexterity in each turn and twist, holding her manodharmam high. Next came Mukhari, another beautifulk Tyagaraja krithi. Yet for some reason I felt GJR and Viji were singing in their head Gopalakrishna Bharati's 'Thanthai Thai Irunthaal'….missing their 'father' in each note, while their fingers elucidated Thyagaraja's yet another tryst with destiny. One lone Tamil flower midst the krithi section, of Koteeswara Ayyar, Arulseiyya vendum ayaa. I hosted GJR in Leeds years back. One fine morning as the dew drops fell on the Yorkshire grass, and the sun raring to rise, we were surprised by the tunings of the violin in darkness with arul seyya vendum ayya. I was reminded of the same dew drops and veneration as the past. Brilliant exposition of Nattaikurinji, followed by kalyanavasantham (Nadaloludai). The trio's rendition invoked several questions in me. I asked 'O' mind can we ever become a lover of nada as the trio? Can we ever attain the eternal bliss as the trio do? In manipulation of the saptaswara, can we experience righteousness as the trio has? The RTP take of the evening was in Dharmavathi "Nin arul seithida thamadama". This was the very line by Lalgudi in Pallavi's 1996 concert albeit in Shanmukhapriya, but last night was Dharmavathi night, with kandanadai…simply unique in its approach, mathematics and quite breathtaking, a la connoisseur's cake! And we waited for the thani to start and wished it did not end. There was not a single movement in the hall, the reverberations of the master's mind spoke all…nothing more to say. Several popular sentients followed each of them a gem weaving magic in the listeners. I noticed an elderly woman next door brimming with tears as 'baro krishnaiyya' commenced. And thy ended with a gurubhyonamaha in Sindubhairavi. To have such artists in this yuga of fusion, infusion, unfusion and confusion is a rarity. In particular, seeing Sankaran Sir makes one immediately prostrate to him. Whether it is his prefrontal, that is but a mathematical entity, or his soft demeanour, a small shake, lest a few flowers withering from his extraordinary fingers for us rasikas to grasp, here walks the 'kaliyuga nandhi' in flesh and bones. Sankaran Sir, Canada's temporary loss was Australia's gain last night. And for the nadayogis of the Lalgudi duo, we await your next forthcoming! We need to celebrate such gandharvas.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

I can imagine being in that hall and being transported to another world of melody and sowkhyam whilst reading your reviews ...wow . A big thank you to you for reporting from there . Sydney - lucky you .